Masters GPA that helped boost your MD App

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tbo

MS-4
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was curious if any of you who have done Master's programs with the primary goal of boosting your academic record have had positive experiences with getting into med school. More specifically, you had a low GPA in undergrad, performed well at a Master's program, and were interviewed/accepted to medical school. Was just curious how heavily or lightly the Master's GPA is weighted towards being a more competitive applicant.

Members don't see this ad.

tbo said:
I was curious if any of you who have done Master's programs with the primary goal of boosting your academic record have had positive experiences with getting into med school. More specifically, you had a low GPA in undergrad, performed well at a Master's program, and were interviewed/accepted to medical school. Was just curious how heavily or lightly the Master's GPA is weighted towards being a more competitive applicant.

Note that for allopathic schools your graduate school grades are not factored into your undergraduate or post bacc GPA. I imagine that as long as you do well in your graduate work it would not hurt your application, but it will not help in terms of "boosting" you GPA.

However for osteopathic schools, your graduate school GPA is factored into your undergraduate and post bacc gpa.

Sundarban - your point is not lost on me. I am aware that there are separate line items for GPA calculation between undergrad and grad, but I'm still curious if the Master's boosted a med school app in a substantive way. Perhaps getting into a top-tier school that you would previously not be competitive at with the low undergrad GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
tbo said:
Sundarban - your point is not lost on me. I am aware that there are separate line items for GPA calculation between undergrad and grad, but I'm still curious if the Master's boosted a med school app in a substantive way. Perhaps getting into a top-tier school that you would previously not be competitive at with the low undergrad GPA.

Whether it is true or not, Adcoms typically view Master's courses as being less rigorous than undergrad courses simply because most Master's programs require students to maintain a certain grade average, say a B or better, or face being kicked out of the program. So I doubt that a strong Master's GPA will help ones chances at a top-tier school if the undergrad GPA is mediocre. If both the undergrad and graduate GPAs are strong, then I might see it making a difference in one's app.

microgin said:
Whether it is true or not, Adcoms typically view Master's courses as being less rigorous than undergrad courses simply because most Master's programs require students to maintain a certain grade average, say a B or better, or face being kicked out of the program. So I doubt that a strong Master's GPA will help ones chances at a top-tier school if the undergrad GPA is mediocre. If both the undergrad and graduate GPAs are strong, then I might see it making a difference in one's app.

Right, Gin was validictorian of our Master's program I'd take her word.

I know there was (don't know if its running now due to hurricane madness) a program in New Orleans that allowed you to get a masters in Pharm. This program was known to help people get into medschool who were boarderline applicants who had previously been rejected. I know a guy who didn't get into medschool, went to that program, reapplied to medschool and got in.

So, I guess it could help. Best thing to do is to actually call some medschool adcoms and ask what they think about it.

tbo said:

More specifially it will take a combined effort, rather than a 1 cure-all event that can overcome something like say a low undergrad GPA. It also depends on how rigorous the masters program is as well. The pros and cons of doing well in a masters program are:

Pros
1) Shows you can handle graduate level classes.

2) Do masters level research (if you are doing masters by thesis).

3) Expand your knowledge into a specific area.

4) If a Special Masters Program, shows you can take and do well in med school level classes.

Cons
1) Grades in grad school SHOULD be higher compared to undergrad, since as someone stated above, you can be booted out of grad school if you get a B-. Our program here puts you on academic probation if you get a GPA of 2.7 (e.g.: B- average).

2) Masters level work may be too specific and may not address inadequacies in undergrad which were in broader subject areas.

3) Although most masters programs take 2 years to complete, and there are a good number of those that can be finished in 1 year, the amount of GRADED classes you take may be few. Therefore proof of doing well may be limited by the amount of units you take. Our program here only has something like ....30 quarter units of graded classes. Thats about 2.75 quarters full-time coursework (3 quarter academic year). Of course we have seminars too that are graded as satisfactory/non-satisfactory.

4) Graduate level coursework is looked upon in a positive manner, but is weighted less than undergraduate coursework. Mainly everyone applies with undergrad coursework, and thus better to compare student A vs. student B via undergrad courses.

5) Special Masters Programs (SMP), if you go to a well known one like the one at Tulane or Georgetown, you may have no problems. But if nobody knows that you took med school classes, or the school you are applying to is not familiar with the program, they will can treat it like a grad school course. Also if the school acknowledges these are med school courses, yet by choice, they consider it as graduate level, then doesn't really boost you that much either.

To overcome the deficiencies associated with graduate school when applying with a low undergrad GPA, you need to pretty much destroy the MCAT. Based on all indications (knock on wood), i will apply to med school with a 4.0 graduate GPA. But even then it will require me to have a high MCAT score to address my low undergrad GPA. Even after that it will be challenging, therefore I have been advised to take additional undergrad classes to continue to boost my undergrad GPA while completing my PhD degree. You will find other non-trads who have higher degrees, and even high MCAT scores, but due to low-undergrad GPA, or not having an undergrad GPA made it an uphill (but not impossible) battle. Therefore it is my impression that a high grad GPA can be only viewed as positive, however it will certainly not be a cure-all in terms of making up for a low undergrad GPA. Hence many schools encouraging post-bacc vs. masters.

Unless you do an SMP program, and depending on how low your GPA is, then I would consider doing post-bacc rather than a traditional masters program. If your GPA is say above 3.2, a standard masters program should be alright. Lower than 3.2 I would suggest post-bacc. SMPs should benefit your application regardless of GPA, assuming you get into an SMP, and the SMP is well known to the school you are applying to. Of course this is combined with getting a high (>30) MCAT score.

Thanks Relentless. I've finished my Master's at a reputable Medical School with a high GPA. My thesis was also published (in a so-so peer reviewed journal), so I'm happy with that effort. However, I do hear all the comments that it's not a cure all and I know that there needs to be evidence of academic capability.

To other people's comments, I've heard mixed messages about master's programs. Some take a more holistic approach, saying that if you've completed a sufficient bolus of grad courses for a degree (one school quoted a 19 credit threshold) that they would consider it on a practically even par with other academic records, which is encouraging. Other schools basically told me it means exactly nothing, not even entertaining a 4.0 in a grad program.

I've continually heard that it's a total recognition of what you've done since undergrad that expresses a desire and ethic to work hard to become a physician - so i've been working along those lines, but I continue to believe (perhaps stubbornly) that there's got to be some positive stories that those with a poor UG GPA have worked their butts off to show them they can cut it (phenomenal medical research, contributions in healthcare like public health, emt, etc, something along these lines). Again, there's no cure-all, but there's got to be some experiences. I think it would be fruitful to share them if they exist.

tbo said:
Thanks Relentless. I've finished my Master's at a reputable Medical School with a high GPA. My thesis was also published (in a so-so peer reviewed journal), so I'm happy with that effort. However, I do hear all the comments that it's not a cure all and I know that there needs to be evidence of academic capability.

To other people's comments, I've heard mixed messages about master's programs. Some take a more holistic approach, saying that if you've completed a sufficient bolus of grad courses for a degree (one school quoted a 19 credit threshold) that they would consider it on a practically even par with other academic records, which is encouraging. Other schools basically told me it means exactly nothing, not even entertaining a 4.0 in a grad program.

I've continually heard that it's a total recognition of what you've done since undergrad that expresses a desire and ethic to work hard to become a physician - so i've been working along those lines, but I continue to believe (perhaps stubbornly) that there's got to be some positive stories that those with a poor UG GPA have worked their butts off to show them they can cut it (phenomenal medical research, contributions in healthcare like public health, emt, etc, something along these lines). Again, there's no cure-all, but there's got to be some experiences. I think it would be fruitful to share them if they exist.

Hello there.

Check out the link in my profile for some inspiration.

Good luck!

I am torn between MSP and taking classes at a calstate for a year to boost my ug gpa. However, the MSP program is known for great mcat scores. I am thinking perhaps if I am accepted into MSP I should do the program to get a good mcat score/grad gpa and then go to a calstate/uc to boost my ug gpa (2.6 sci, 3.0 overall bio/humanities double major). Would the order of doing things make a difference? Suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

burntcrispy said:
I know there was (don't know if its running now due to hurricane madness) a program in New Orleans that allowed you to get a masters in Pharm. This program was known to help people get into medschool who were boarderline applicants who had previously been rejected. I know a guy who didn't get into medschool, went to that program, reapplied to medschool and got in.

So, I guess it could help. Best thing to do is to actually call some medschool adcoms and ask what they think about it.

u might b talking about tulane's ACP although they do have a MS pharmacology as well.

ExtraAverage: Thanks. That's exactly what I'm looking for. There's no doubt it's a tough road for anyone who performed poorly in undergrad, but it's nice to see someone work their asses off and have adcoms recognize that effort.

hopestobe: Based on everything I've read and heard to date, it sounds like if you're heart is set on an MD (or DO), and that your undergrad GPA is your greatest weakness, the best bet is to go do a postbacc. It not only counts towards your undergrad GPA but it also is good prep for the MCAT. There are a number of programs that consistently report solid MCAT scores coming out of them - that's two birds, one stone by my count.

Since there's a dearth of examples like ExtraAverage's, I say keep them coming. My initial try at applying to med school basically left me wondering if I was simply f***'d from the get go, but like you, EA, I am determined and am putting in the elbow grease to make it happen.

ExtraAverage said:
Hello there.

Check out the link in my profile for some inspiration.

Good luck!

Hey EA ;) ,

Did you do a post-bacc program, or did the Masters program alone help with the GPA issues?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
here's a story i heard from a friend oa friend. remember, i'm just some guy know on the internet, and this is one isolated case, so take it with a grain of salt.

basically, my friend told me that his friend, a premed with a less than stellar gpa and mcat scores, decided that it would be a big waste of money and time to apply to med school. but this guy really, really, really wants to be a doctor. so this is what he does.

first, before he graduates (barely), he goes to his premed advisor one last time and tells her to go suck a nut. (basically, she's been telling him to go become a nurse, don't bother retaking the mcats, you will never make it, etc etc)

he then goes to a local junior college and takes all his med school prereqs over again. he didn't do this to raise his GPA (wouldn't have hepled, they're JC courses afterall), rather, he knew that he didn't have a firm enough understanding of the basics. so he blitzed through them in a year and of course aced them. he procedes to take the MCATs, which he didn't do so great but not too bad either (my guess is around 30), and applies to another 4 year university to get a second bacherlor's degree in physics (he got his first in bio).

well, since he's taken a lot of his prereqs and general ed classes 2 years ago, he takes about 2 and a half to three years and graduates magna cum laude. he ponders over what to do now (doesn't really ask the premed advisor for help... he kinda distrusts them at this point). he decides to go the smp route and gets a near 4.0 average. he applies early to like 30 med schools and gets accepted the following year.

he photocopied his acceptance letter and wrote a "stronly worded letter" and mailed it to that advisor along with the dean and chancellor at our school.

now, i'm not sure if this story is true or just a rumor floating around to explain why our premed advisor mysteriously "retired," but whether my friend's friend, my friend, or even I are making this stuff up... is it that unbelievable?

adcomms are forgiving human beings who understand that mistakes can be made. not all adcomms, maybe not even half. but there are great medical schools out there who would love to take you if you show them you can do the work and yes, indeed, you truly want to be a doctor.

bottom line: don't let an undergraduate gpa keep you from becoming a physician.

Just to add my personal experience, I had a 3.3 undergrad GPA and 29 MCAT, and didn't get in any schools that I applied to (twice). This year I took a one year masters program (Tulane Pharmacology Masters) that allowed us to also take a medical school course with other medical students. My application was on hold while they waited for my 1st semester grades in the program. I got a 4.0 and quickly sent in my transcripts, and I got one of the professors to write me a letter or rec. THREE days later, I got a letter of acceptance to my no.1 choice state school. Coincidence? I think not. A masters program will really show adcoms that you can handle upper level science, especially if the program allows you to take medical school courses. Just my two cents.

I had a 3.17 gpa and 35 mcat, applied to a few schools and didnt get in the first time..--didnt even get an interview-- Did the MA program at BU medical and got a 3.94. I applied again to a bunch of schools (27) and got in to almost half of them... The grad programs do work, but you have to do well. Not to mention, if you get to the top of the class in a med school class (vs. the med students) the professors will write awsome recommendations.

ToPa5579 said:
Just to add my personal experience, I had a 3.3 undergrad GPA and 29 MCAT, and didn't get in any schools that I applied to (twice). This year I took a one year masters program (Tulane Pharmacology Masters) that allowed us to also take a medical school course with other medical students. My application was on hold while they waited for my 1st semester grades in the program. I got a 4.0 and quickly sent in my transcripts, and I got one of the professors to write me a letter or rec. THREE days later, I got a letter of acceptance to my no.1 choice state school. Coincidence? I think not. A masters program will really show adcoms that you can handle upper level science, especially if the program allows you to take medical school courses. Just my two cents.

topa-i know u posted this a while ago, but this is great news for me as I have around the same undergrad GPA and am starting the tulane Pharmacology Masters program this august. i'm really excited as i have heard good things about the program and know a couple current tulane medical students that graduated from this program.

naru said:
basically, my friend told me that his friend, a premed with a less than stellar gpa and mcat scores, decided that it would be a big waste of money and time to apply to med school. but this guy really, really, really wants to be a doctor. so this is what he does.

first, before he graduates (barely), he goes to his premed advisor one last time and tells her to go suck a nut.

bottom line: don't let an undergraduate gpa keep you from becoming a physician.

Did he really say that to his advisor? that would be awesome.

Do anyone know what's PCOM's Biomed. Post-bacc. or Master's Program's average for getting students in medical school?

http://services.aamc.org/postbac

Special masteers program

Its not really how well a program is known. On my transcript that i submitted to amcas, i wrote "special masters program" in addition to the school i am doing it at (University of Cincinnati). I was accepted to a bunch of places, Georgetown, Drexel, etc. but chose to do it here. While i do only take two med school classes (medical physiology and medical biochem), they are apparently the two hardest med school classes to ace, and is considered by many adcoms to be a good indication of how well you can do in med school. SMPs seem to be notoriously good (any of them really) at getting people into med school within a year or two (some SMPs boast 80% within two years). I feel that going through another UG institution, or taking postbac UG classes (if you already took them) is a waste of time. Its really hard to boost an already low GPA given the nature of the weighted average that is the GPA. I think just going through a different route like the SMP is by far one of teh best tested, and strongest way to demonstrate direct success in med school

deep throat said:
Did he really say that to his advisor? that would be awesome.

C'mon man? It's his friends' friends' story! Of course the whole thing is true :rolleyes:

bat28 said:
I had a 3.17 gpa and 35 mcat, applied to a few schools and didnt get in the first time..--didnt even get an interview-- Did the MA program at BU medical and got a 3.94. I applied again to a bunch of schools (27) and got in to almost half of them... The grad programs do work, but you have to do well. Not to mention, if you get to the top of the class in a med school class (vs. the med students) the professors will write awsome recommendations.

Same experience essentially. 2.56 overall GPA, 1.7 science. Was kicked out of undergrad for bad grades. Eventually graduated, took a little biology coursework to boost the GPA trend (7 total courses, mostly A's), got a 37Q MCAT, and applied to medical school. Got 2/20 interviews, 1 waitlist, no acceptances.

Did BU MA medical science program. 3.77 GPA (w/o research credits), 39R MCAT. Accepted at BU, UNC, and Pitt (but rejected from a number of lower tier schools). I'm now an MS-II at Pitt.

i realize that you have to do well in your masters program for it to help your stats when applying to med school. obviously if you did mediocre as an undergrad, you want to show you're capable of much much more. i agree with everyone on that.

i realize masters doesn't have the breadth that undergrad does but i found my undergrad experience to be completely useless in the real world. in fact, when applying for jobs, my interviewers were so impressed by my _experience_ that they never even asked what my gpa was or what courses i took or what major i was.

i would think that the masters give you more focused attention on an area that is supposed to be of most interest to you. i would think that the specialized course of study would be an asset to you, displaying not just your capabilities but your interests. otherwise, why would people need to go back to school to get a masters (not just for medical school but for jobs)?? if you did your masters how could it hold you back?

emeraldsky said:
i realize masters doesn't have the breadth that undergrad does but i found my undergrad experience to be completely useless in the real world. in fact, when applying for jobs, my interviewers were so impressed by my _experience_ that they never even asked what my gpa was or what courses i took or what major i was.

This really depends on your specific undergrad major, rather than the undergrad in general. There is more focus in engineering and computer science degrees for example. All of my friends in engineering, and compsci found jobs right out of college, while my friend who were biochemistry (like me) had a harder time finding a job that related to their major. In fact, most are doing things unrelated to biochem.

Ultimately it depends on what you want to do, rather than what you learned. A person who graduates with a biological sciences degree has more than enough experience to be a high school teacher if that is what they want to do. However if you want to go out to industry, or research, a biosci bachelor's degree may not adequate.

emeraldsky said:
i would think that the masters give you more focused attention on an area that is supposed to be of most interest to you. i would think that the specialized course of study would be an asset to you, displaying not just your capabilities but your interests. otherwise, why would people need to go back to school to get a masters (not just for medical school but for jobs)?? if you did your masters how could it hold you back?

I don't neccessarily agree with this. A masters certainly has more focused than undergrad, but the classes are now generalized within a speciality. Just like in internal medicine, there are many other sub-specialties, so the breadth and depth of the topics is still pretty big. Again, depends on what program you do. If you are doing a masters by exam, it is even less focused since you are tested on the core curriculum. Now if you did a masters by thesis, it may be more focused due to your limited research project. So focus isn't really an issue here unless you are doing an MBA, MPH, or MPVM for example.

You also forget to mention that a master's degree also increases your salary. Even in the grad school world, if you have a masters degree already (say while doing a PhD), you can be at a higher pay level. So its not neccessarily to give more focus, but may also be to boost ones standard of living in terms of $$$. Anyway, I want to emphasize its really all relative. As stated many times in these forums, a grad degree can never hold you back, however depending on your application, the amount of benefit may vary. Same thing applies to PhD's, and there are certainly a few threads about PhD's trying to get into MD programs. ;)