Neurology Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drJane23

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello everyone:banana:

I'm very interested in Neurology and wanted to ask some questions regarding neurology residency.

For neurology residency do you apply for neurology residency first or do have to do residency in internal medicine first and then do your fellowship in neurology. I have no idea how this all works...can anyone help me out by answerinf my question.
Also say you want to specialize in pediatric neurology...how do you go about that? do you do 1st residency in pediatrics and then neurology???

Thanks for all your help:)

Members don't see this ad.

You apply for neurology from the get go. The residency is 1 year of internship (usually in medicine) followed by three years in neurology. You apply for both your prelim and your neurology residency slots at the same time.

One route for Child Neurology is 5 years total, two years of pediatrics residency (which includes internship the first year) and then three years of child/adult neurology which is maybe 70% child neurology. Then you are eligible to be board certified in pediatrics, *and* neurology with special competency in child neurology. Alternatively the other route (for those who decide on child neurology later) is to do a neurology residency then a fellowship in child neurology. Both pathways let you practice as a child neurologist, but the former is more focused for those who decide on child neurology early on, and the first option allows you to be board certified in pediatrics too.

Members don't see this ad :)
As an almost fourth year, I'm wondering bout this whole application process. How hard is it to get these prelim spots secured? How can it be assured that the prelim you do at hospital X is going to be accepted at hospital Y? Don't you find out about these two applications at the same time?

Also, what are the chances of programs accepting students outside the match? Is it common for neuro programs? Thanks!

Check out the FAQs before posting any more questions. Not to be rude, but Gopher Brain did a great job with them, and it would save us all a lot of time if you read them.

I totally concur with, nerdoscience. You guys should really find the answers to all these questions in the FAQ. But, since I have the time I'll do my best to give some answers.

Some neuro programs are categorical, meaning four-year programs that include the traditional prelim year. Some are advanced programs, meaning three-year programs that leave it up to the applicant to find their own prelim year spot separately.

Obviously, the easiest way to guarantee a prelim spot is to match to a categorical program. Otherwise you are essentially doing the match process twice, once for neuro and once for prelim, but you're doing it simultaneously. The prelim match can be pretty competitive, because you're competing against applicants from a host of other specialties that require prelim medicine years, including radiology and derm. This means applying to a lot more programs and doing a lot more interviews to increase your chances of matching.

As for the concern that some neuro program might not accept some prelim years, I don't think that is a legitimate concern. Any prelim program participating in the match is going to meet the criteria for a prelim medicine year. You may be thinking of transitional year programs that are more of a "rotating" internship where you rotate through various specialties more like third year med school. In that case it is up to you to make sure you schedule the transitional year rotations to meet the ABPN requirements.
From the brilliant FAQ as done by Gopherbrain:
What Types of PGY1 Years are Acceptable?
From the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology Website
A full year of ACGME-accredited training in internal medicine, or as an acceptable alternative, a full year in an ACGME-accredited program in which a minimum of six months of training must be in internal medicine, the details of which must be documented by the training director. The composition of these six months may NOT include rotations in neurology, family medicine, or emergency medicine. To ensure that these six months constitute a high quality experience, they should emphasize progressive responsibility for the resident. At least two of the addition six months must be spent in internal medicine, pediatrics, and/or emergency medicine. For candidates entering neurology residency training on or after July 1, 2001, at least two of the additional six months must be spent in internal medicine, pediatrics, family medicine, and/or
emergency medicine. No more than two of the remaining four months may be spent in neurology.

As for finding spots outside the match. It happens in every specialty. This is the basis of the scramble. It happens in neurology. You don't want to do it. My friends who had to scramble described it as one of the most gut-wrenching experiences of their lives. Just play the Match game well and you'll be fine. Get a realistic idea of the types of programs you're a solid candidate for. Then apply to those types of programs, a few "dream" programs, and a few "safe" programs. Please note that the "game" is all in the application and interview process. There is no game to the match list. Just rank the programs in the order you really prefer them.

And read the FAQ.