Why does BU's projected tuition increase every year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dl9006

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just looking at the cost of attendance sheet that they gave us and was wondering why does their tuition incrementally increase each year?

From 1st year to 4th, there's a 5000 dollar difference.. why?

I looked at UDM's projected tuition and their's remains the same every year.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, that's just how some schools do it I guess. Pitt's goes down every year, to about 8k less in the 4th year - BUT, at every school you go to you can probably expect about a 1-2% increase in tuition and fees every year sadly.

Most schools tell you the tuition that each class is paying in 2009-10. But pretty much every school increases their tuition each year. BU is the only school I know of that actually tells you how much they think tuition will be in 2010-11, 2011-12, 2012-13, and 2013-2014.

Members don't see this ad :)
BU arbitrarily raises the cost of everything about 5% every year, regardless. Everything from tuition, fees, faculty salaries, and especially the fee schedule for patient treatment.

Whatever they are quoting you for tuition, is only accurate for the current year. They severely low-ball the projected increase in tuition - when I entered BU dental about 5 years ago, the cost of tuition was $45,000. Right now, BU dental charges $60,000 just for tuition. That's a 33% (or $15,000) increase in just 5 years, nearly triple their projection.

Once you add in all the fees, instruments, books, plus living expenses and under the table payments to patients, you're looking at $500,000 to attend BU Dental today. Ouch!:eek:

BU arbitrarily raises the cost of everything about 5% every year, regardless. Everything from tuition, fees, faculty salaries, and especially the fee schedule for patient treatment.

Whatever they are quoting you for tuition, is only accurate for the current year. They severely low-ball the projected increase in tuition - when I entered BU dental about 5 years ago, the cost of tuition was $45,000. Right now, BU dental charges $60,000 just for tuition. That's a 33% (or $15,000) increase in just 5 years, nearly triple their projection.

Once you add in all the fees, instruments, books, plus living expenses and under the table payments to patients, you're looking at $500,000 to attend BU Dental today. Ouch!:eek:

Like I've said in other threads, anything that grows at a certain percent per year is exponential growth and will sooner or later run into a physical limit. I really believe what we are seeing is a debt bubble being inflated just like the sub-prime mortgage housing bubble. If left to inflate to the point of popping (physical limit) it's going to end badly.

Boston University Dental is quite unique and shouldn't be generalized to other schools.

Even though the economy has contracted, the school managed to justify increasing tuition over 30% in 5 years under the new Dean. But dig a little deeper and you can see there are even bigger underlying issues that have contributed to the rapid increase in tuition.

BU's facilities are very small, old, and run-down. It has the largest enrollment but occupies one of the smallest facilities, in a very dangerous location that is difficult to reach by public or private transportation. The fee schedule to be treated by students is rediculously high; unaffordable to the people dental schools normally target. It is way too overcrowded, shortage of clinical instructors, major shortage of patients for pre-doctoral students, resulting in comically minimal clinical experience (ex. 1 root canal to graduate, which can be simulated on a mannaquin; 2 extractions, 6 units of fixed).

I don't see this as much as an economic bubble about to burst, but rather a clear sign that BU Dental is unable to sustain its operations. When so little treatment is being delivered to patients, there is very little revenue coming in, and the only thing the school can do is dramatically increase tuition for students and the fee schedule for patients to maintain a certain profit margin.

I've said this before: BU needs to relocate to a more accessible location, expand the facilities, reduce enrollment, lower the clinic fee schedule, and most importantly increase the patient pool. This will provide students with more clinical experience and will also increase revenue for the school. The patients will be happy to receive faster and cheaper treatment and not be oversold dentistry. Students will be happy with the additional experience to be adequately prepared to begin practicing independently upon graduation.

I'm curious how the school will handle going through accreditation next year, since this time their Dean isn't a member or the chair of the Commision on Dental Accreditation.

I've seen other sketchy things about BU too like they're funding dental clinics in Dubai and other foreign places (places that would probably never host you as a student). To me it just seems like a place that mismanages your tuition money. And I can't believe their low requirements...2 extractions!?!

I can't believe I omitted the extension they just built Dubai. It completes the picture.
I couldn't have said it better:
To me it just seems like a place that mismanages your tuition money. And I can't believe their low requirements...2 extractions!?!

When I was researching the school, I got so angry at some of the controversy that turns up. If they get back to me about an interview, I am declining. Tufts or bust for Boston.