what's considered a 're-applicant'?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilovemedi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Say you're verified and you apply to two schools (A, B), but decide to withdraw your AMCAS. I understand you're considered a "reapplicant" to those two schools (A&B), but if in the FUTURE you decide to apply to other schools (like school C), are you considered a "Reapplicant" at the new school (like C), too? is it schools specific?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Nevermind, found it on the amcas website, in case anyone wants to know the answer: https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/amcas/faqs/301606/amiareapplicanttoallschools.html

Am I a reapplicant to all schools or only the ones I applied to before?
You are only a reapplicant to schools that previously received an AMCAS application from you. For example, if you applied to School A and School B last year, then you would be considered a reapplicant at both of those schools if you are applying to them this year. You would not be considered a reapplicant at School C since you did not previously apply to that school.

You will indicate your reapplicant status per school in the Medical Schools section of your application.

Some secondaries ask if you have ever applied to any med schools in previous cycles.

Members don't see this ad :)
Say you're verified and you apply to two schools (A, B), but decide to withdraw your AMCAS. I understand you're considered a "reapplicant" to those two schools (A&B), but if in the FUTURE you decide to apply to other schools (like school C), are you considered a "Reapplicant" at the new school (like C), too? is it schools specific?

If you ever applied to any US allo med school before, you are a reapplicant. Programs will ask if you ever applied before, doesn't matter if it's the same school or a different school. So basically you don't want to apply on a whim, and you never want to apply to just one or two places to test the waters. Do it once and do it right, with your best foot forward. One shot, one kill.

If you ever applied to any US allo med school before, you are a reapplicant. Programs will ask if you ever applied before, doesn't matter if it's the same school or a different school. So basically you don't want to apply on a whim, and you never want to apply to just one or two places to test the waters. Do it once and do it right, with your best foot forward. One shot, one kill.

Then why on the AAMC website, it says differently? "You are only a reapplicant to schools that previously received an AMCAS application from you."

edit: Law2Doc - so are you saying that some schools ask if you applied to ANY before, thus making you a reapplicant? How unusual.. The AAMC should change that on their website.