3.02 overall; 2.81 AO; 3.35 BCPM... Multiple Acceptances (Getting accepted 3.0)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

improvcric

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is the just of it. Second year applicant. URM. 27 years old. EMT with no experience. A total of about 40 hrs shadowing. Good volunteer history. NCAA athlete. My GPA is in the title. MCAT VR:8; P:9; B:12.

I am pretty sure the first try would have been successful had I known what I know now.

Rule 1: Apply early. Really early, as in opening day. If you are in the preliminary stages then get moving. Your app should be ready to submit a week before. You may think it is just another app but unless you have applied for a seriously high security job then you have no idea. Just putting on the finishing touches will take a few weeks. Especially if you have multiple transcripts etc.

Rule 2: Write an uplifting and inspiring PS. Do not judge your own work, get several others to evaluate it. Every paragraph should have a message. It took me several tries to write a satisfactory PS and now when I read it I still get inspired (really). I have seen the same reaction from interviewers who read it prior to the interview. I wrote my PS in an unorthodox way but it seemed to work (more on that later).

My PS

Rule 3: Apply in state. Not always possible but if it is then do it. If you have any opportunity to switch residency to a state with a lower level of competition then do so. I did as my home state is CA. I'm not sure if it really helped me as my first acceptance was OOS but I can definitely see the benefit.

Heading home from work to be continued...

Rule 4: Shadow docs with connections to the school of interest. Chose who you have represent you. Sharp docs who express an interest in helping you. MD's for MD schools (Even if DO LORs are allowed). Present yourself with confidence and build value by your actions. Bring yourself up to their level. Do not fear them. I'm not saying be a no it all but don't be afraid to carry a dialogue with them. A doc that will intimidate you isn't going to help you anyway so given that situation... move on down the road.

Rule 5: Apply Early. "Day of" early.

Rule 6: Become an EMT, CNA, etc. I became a registered EMT. It cost me $2000 and a month of full-time class. I impressed the teacher, killed every test, and made friends with everybody. By the time I was done I had a huge plus on my app, some experiences to reflect on just from the ride-alongs I did, and a killer LOR from someone in the field. It was very educational as well.

Rule 7: Self talk. By the time you get to your interview you had better had about 1000 self discussions about why you want to be a doc. It should flow out of you like poetry and with conviction. Rewriting your PS will be good practice. Find some passion to tap into.

Tips:
-With enough googling you can find a few docs who are on the admissions boards. I didn't get the opportunity to shadow any but I think it would have been a major plus.

-Shadow a doc at a physician owned hospital or clinic. Your more likely to get some hands on that way. I shadowed in a physician owned hospital and assisted the surgeon in some major surgeries. I shadowed in a major hospital and I got chewed for walking past a sterile cart. (Someone will always have a chip on their shoulder there)

-Get a panel letter in addition to all other LORs. Have plenty but be selective and make sure they are all strong.

IF YOU ARE IN THIS POSITION AND SERIOUSLY WANT TO GET INTO MED SCHOOL, YOU BETTER STEP YOUR GAME UP. From here on out A's only, impress everyone, never fear a doc or the process, apply early, and make up you mind that you will be a doctor.

This is not for those who are struggling to be capable. This is for those who know they are capable but just need some help showing everyone else what they already know.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
:thumbup:

Very interested to hear more about your experience, our stats our very very similar and I'm applying this upcoming cycle.

Do you think being an NCAA athlete helped more than you think?

Members don't see this ad :)
I honestly think that people don't give enough credit to the intangibles when discussing the matter of "chances". Market yourself to some successful people. Show them you know your stuff and make them laugh. Then have them vouch for you (LORs). Use a PS to pull together all those intangibles and market them. If enough people request my PS I will share it.

PS and LORs are extremely important. They can make you or break you at times. Congratulation to the OP for a job well done :naughty:

Very inspiring. Would like to hear more about your PS...I have one written but dont know if I need to change some of it.

Currently in the process of writing my PS as well. Wouldn't mind seeing yours for inspiration, although I pretty much already have an outline of what I'm going to write about. I feel like if you don't have at least a decent idea when you first sit down to write it, there are big problems.

I'd like to know where you applied and where you got accepted, if you don't mind

Sent from my LG-MS770 using SDN Mobile

I started my PS over from scratch. Completely different than originally planned. Everyone said do things like address bad grades or a lapse in school. I did neither. Just went all out talking about how my experiences make me a good, committed candidate. My first acceptance was to WVU. Once I got that II I stopped filling out secondaries. Once I got an II to Oklahoma I stopped going to interviews. Applied to Oklahoma, WV, TCMC, Arizona, Oregon HSC, UCLA, Howard, Drexel, and some more. That pretty much describes the range of schools.

Last edited:
Thank you for your post. As a non-trad this helps me out a lot. :thumbup:

I started my PS over from scratch. Completely different than originally planned. Everyone said do things like address bad grades or a lapse in school. I did neither. Just went all out talking about how my experiences make me a good, committed candidate. My first acceptance was to WVU. Once I got that II I stopped filling out secondaries. Once I got an II to Oklahoma I stopped going to interviews. Applied to Oklahoma, WV, TCMC, Arizona, Oregon HSC, UCLA, Howard, Drexel, and some more. That pretty much describes the range of schools.

What's your state of residence?

Great post, congrats dude. I hope to be there someday! I'm devoting the next 3 years of my life to fix some things. I will keep this post in mind!!!

I also want to Note that I am a resident in California, but have family in Oregon and Mass. It would probably be best to try an hit up the Oregon program possibly. MA and CA, the two worst states for someone with stats like me haha.

By any chance, are you URM?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Here is the just of it. Second year applicant. URM. 27 years old. EMT with no experience. A total of about 40 hrs shadowing. Good volunteer history. NCAA athlete. My GPA is in the title. MCAT VR:8; P:9; B:12.

I am pretty sure the first try would have been successful had I known what I know now.

Rule 1: Apply early. Really early, as in opening day. If you are in the preliminary stages then get moving. Your app should be ready to submit a week before. You may think it is just another app but unless you have applied for a seriously high security job then you have no idea. Just putting on the finishing touches will take a few weeks. Especially if you have multiple transcripts etc.

Rule 2: Write an uplifting and inspiring PS. Do not judge your own work, get several others to evaluate it. Every paragraph should have a message. It took me several tries to write a satisfactory PS and now when I read it I still get inspired (really). I have seen the same reaction from interviewers who read it prior to the interview. I wrote my PS in an unorthodox way but it seemed to work (more on that later).

Rule 3: Apply in state. Not always possible but if it is then do it. If you have any opportunity to switch residency to a state with a lower level of competition then do so. I did as my home state is CA. I'm not sure if it really helped me as my first acceptance was OOS but I can definitely see the benefit.

Heading home from work to be continued...

Rule 4: Shadow docs with connections to the school of interest. Chose who you have represent you. Sharp docs who express an interest in helping you. MD's for MD schools (Even if DO LORs are allowed). Present yourself with confidence and build value by your actions. Bring yourself up to their level. Do not fear them. I'm not saying be a no it all but don't be afraid to carry a dialogue with them. A doc that will intimidate you isn't going to help you anyway so given that situation... move on down the road.

Rule 5: Apply Early. "Day of" early.

Rule 6: Become an EMT, CNA, etc. I became a registered EMT. It cost me $2000 and a month of full-time class. I impressed the teacher, killed every test, and made friends with everybody. By the time I was done I had a huge plus on my app, some experiences to reflect on just from the ride-alongs I did, and a killer LOR from someone in the field. It was very educational as well.

Rule 7: Self talk. By the time you get to your interview you had better had about 1000 self discussions about why you want to be a doc. It should flow out of you like poetry and with conviction. Rewriting your PS will be good practice. Find some passion to tap into.

Tips:
-With enough googling you can find a few docs who are on the admissions boards. I didn't get the opportunity to shadow any but I think it would have been a major plus.

-Shadow a doc at a physician owned hospital or clinic. Your more likely to get some hands on that way. I shadowed in a physician owned hospital and assisted the surgeon in some major surgeries. I shadowed in a major hospital and I got chewed for walking past a sterile cart. (Someone will always have a chip on their shoulder there)

-Get a panel letter in addition to all other LORs. Have plenty but be selective and make sure they are all strong.

IF YOU ARE IN THIS POSITION AND SERIOUSLY WANT TO GET INTO MED SCHOOL, YOU BETTER STEP YOUR GAME UP. From here on out A's only, impress everyone, never fear a doc or the process, apply early, and make up you mind that you will be a doctor.

This is not for those who are struggling to be capable. This is for those who know they are capable but just need some help showing everyone else what they already know.

Many good points, except that being an EMT isn't anything special. Plus, URM and it's very unlikely any ORM will get in with a 3.0/29

Many good points, except that being an EMT isn't anything special. Plus, URM and it's very unlikely any ORM will get in with a 3.0/29

Glad someone finally pointed that out. Regardless, with those stats even a URM has an uphill battle, so you clearly worked for it OP - congratulations!!!

You could have just written "URM" instead of that whole page, because that's all you need.

For everyone who is stuck on the URM thing... I met another in a similar situation to mine who was a an ORM at an interview. Like I said before, this is a post for people who know they are capable. It's a process and if you work it the right way not much else matters. I personally believe that you have to either seriously sabotage things, or never try hard enough, to make it impossible. If you are capable, someone will notice.

Let me also restate... First attempt: 14 applications 0 interviews (and obviously not acceptances). 2nd attempt: 3 II's before I stopped secondaries, 2 acceptances before I stopped interviewing (at about $600 a pop I didn't see a need to go further).

Differences between 1st and 2nd attempt: EMT, finished Bachelors, and applied early (plus various other ways I learned to work the process).

In other words I did not become a URM on my 2nd attempt.

BTW, former CA resident. Actually was getting secondaries from CA schools when I stopped filling them out. I got presecondary rejections from all CA schools on my 1st attempt.

Last edited:
First attempt: 14 applications 0 interviews (and obviously not acceptances

What schools did you apply to on your first attempt and when did you submit primaries/secondaries?

You could have just written "URM" instead of that whole page, because that's all you need.

No, because truthfully URM isn't even enough with those stats...as OP learned on his first attempt. His tips were really quite excellent (although the importance of being an EMT was perhaps overstated), it's just that there's really not much hope at all for a non-URM with those stats, so it really comes with a giant disclaimer of sorts for those particular stats. His advice will be a huge help to ANY premed, though.

OP, I hope you didn't feel that I diminished your accomplishment. Really, you are focusing on the right thing - the drastic difference between your first and second attempts. Obviously you busted your ass, and you won the prize. You should even be at a bit of an advantage compared to some students who "cruised" to med school, because you have a better idea of what it is to put the pedal to the metal and bleed out 110%. So, again, way to go!!!

I read the URM part and stopped reading after that. Congrats OP but for the rest of us this would be impossible

Well, roughly 20% of white applicants were accepted last cycle with similar stats so go figure.

Apparently 274 people who didn't listen to the vibrant optimism found in these forums.

During your first app cycle (not this current one), when did you submit primaries/secondaries?

Well, roughly 20% of white applicants were accepted last cycle with similar stats so go figure.

Apparently 274 people who didn't listen to the vibrant optimism found in these forums.

We don't know their backstory. They may have done just OK as undergrads, but then worked for awhile, did SMPs and aced those classes, got a super MCAT and were accepted. if so, their reported GPA would still be low since their SMP grades wouldn't be included.

Or they may have failed their first couple of semesters, left school for awhile (maybe became military medics), then once matured, returned to school, did very well for the remaining semesters, did great on the MCAT, but their GPAs still suffered from including those first few semesters.

Looking at GPA alone isn't comparable.

But, congrats to you. I think your Bio score on your MCAT was a significant tipping point.

1st: Primaries: August; Secondaries: October-December

2nd: Primaries: Just after opening day; Secondaries: June-September (have received more since)

20% is based on a 3.0-3.19 GPA and a 26-29 MCAT for white applicants

I don't know exactly what your motivation is to argue this point so incessantly but the fact is 20% with those stats are getting in. Highly doubt all those were SMP or grad students.

For those who are reading this to improve their chances. If I would have listen to the advice given to me by people on this forum I would either be going to a DO school, going off-shore, or dumping tons of money into some sort of post-bacc program.

Work the system and your application will get in front of someone who will give it a closer look. There has to be something about your application that they will take a shot on. Mine was the last 3 years during which I've had stellar grades. All my science prereq's (except for my 3 f's in algebra from my younger years) were A's.

Yes you may be prescreened - but not everywhere. Most schools require a 3.0 but some don't. One of my smarter decisions was deciding to no longer read the comments on here like I did my first cycle.

The original information is good information. Use everything you can. Make getting into Med school your full-time job. Get your app in on time and then put it out of your mind. Seriously.

Last edited:
For everyone who is stuck on the URM thing... I met another in a similar situation to mine who was a an ORM at an interview. Like I said before, this is a post for people who know they are capable. It's a process and if you work it the right way not much else matters. I personally believe that you have to either seriously sabotage things, or never try hard enough, to make it impossible. If you are capable, someone will notice.

Let me also restate... First attempt: 14 applications 0 interviews (and obviously not acceptances). 2nd attempt: 3 II's before I stopped secondaries, 2 acceptances before I stopped interviewing (at about $600 a pop I didn't see a need to go further).

Differences between 1st and 2nd attempt: EMT, finished Bachelors, and applied early (plus various other ways I learned to work the process).

In other words I did not become a URM on my 2nd attempt.

BTW, former CA resident. Actually was getting secondaries from CA schools when I stopped filling them out. I got presecondary rejections from all CA schools on my 1st attempt.

Applying early was the biggest thing. EMT isn't that significant

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Doing your secondaries in Oct - Dec during your first cycle is likely why you had no success that year.

You applied early the second time...that forgives a few missteps.

Congrats on your successful cycle.

2nd: Primaries: Just after opening day; Secondaries: June-September (have received more since)

20% is based on a 3.0-3.19 GPA and a 26-29 MCAT for white applicants

I don't know exactly what your motivation is to argue this point so incessantly but the fact is 20% with those stats are getting in. Highly doubt all those were SMP or grad students.

For those who are reading this to improve their chances. If I would have listen to the advice given to me by people on this forum I would either be going to a DO school, going off-shore, or dumping tons of money into some sort of post-bacc program.

Work the system and your application will get in front of someone who will give it a closer look. There has to be something about your application that they will take a shot on. Mine was the last 3 years during which I've had stellar grades. All my science prereq's (except for my 3 f's in algebra from my younger years) were A's.

Yes you may be prescreened - but not everywhere. Most schools require a 3.0 but some don't. One of my smarter decisions was deciding to no longer read the comments on here like I did my first cycle.

The original information is good information. Use everything you can. Make getting into Med school your full-time job. Get your app in on time and then put it out of your mind. Seriously.

I think most people on this forum would say as a URM just apply early. Which, when you did so, you got in. If you were ORM I'd say go DO, because there is nothing wrong with that despite your derision.

One of the best posts I've seen on SDN.

Congrats on your accomplishment dude! I'm sure you have lots of people in your life that are proud of you so that you don't have to rely on SDN members that only try to diminish your success.

One of the best posts I've seen on SDN.

Congrats on your accomplishment dude! I'm sure you have lots of people in your life that are proud of you so that you don't have to rely on SDN members that only try to diminish your success.

I just want others in similar situations to move forward with the audacity that I did. I appreciate the love. Hope is in short supply on SDN.

Neat. My downfall in MD applications was applying at pretty much the last minute, in addition to my low stats. And my BCPM and AO are inverse of yours.

Still, I have 6 schools left that I haven't heard from yet lol.