AADSAS Q&A

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JRogoff

Resident Palatal Phallacy
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Due to the overwhelming number of threads dealing with AADSAS questions, I thought I would like take the liberty of dedicating a thread to AADSAS specific questions. By doing this new applicants can have all the common AADSAS question answered in one place. I will start by answering the most common question of all?..

Q: When will my AADSAS application be processed and how do I get my AADSAS number?

A: It takes about 4-6 weeks after payment is received for AADSAS to process your application. During this time they will confirm all your grades you have entered in online. After your application is processed it will then be mailed to the schools of your choice, which may take up to another week. Therefore it could take up to 8 weeks for schools to start receiving your application. Once the applications are mailed out, you will receive a confirmation copy of your application in the mail along with your AADSAS number. At this time you are able to make any corrections to your application if needed. You can also call AADSAS to find out when your application has been processed and what your AADSAS number is.

Members don't see this ad.

Q: When should I send supplemental application material to the schools I applied to?

A: Supplemental application materials such as fees should not be sent to schools until your AADSAS application has been processed. This is because the schools you applied to will not have a file on you without your application in hand; and without a file your supplemental materials run the risk of being misplaced

Q: Can I turn in my AADSAS application without DAT scores?

A: Your AADSAS application can and will be processed without DAT scores. Once the DAT is taken, your scores will be sent to the schools directly where your application will be waiting. It is always advised to apply as soon as possible, even without DAT scores. The reason being it that it can take up to 8 weeks to process your AADSAS application, whereas your DAT scores are sent almost immediately after you complete the DAT

Members don't see this ad :)
JRogoff said:
Q: When will my AADSAS application be processed and how do I get my AADSAS number?

A: It takes about 4-6 weeks after payment is received for AADSAS to process your application. During this time they will confirm all your grades you have entered in online.

The AADSAS rep I spoke to says that they send out applicaitons even without transcripts having been received. How is this so if they confirm your grades?

edkNARF said:
The AADSAS rep I spoke to says that they send out applicaitons even without transcripts having been received. How is this so if they confirm your grades?

I think they send out your application with your grades unconfirmed in that case. Then once they recieve your transcripts your grades can be confirmed and an update is sent to the schools. This is what i have been told when i called there last year.

I was wondering if it is possible and what the process is to send in the aadsas application in and to the schools I choose without my letters of recommendation attached to the application. I have everything ready (DAT scores, personal statement, grades, etc), except my letters of rec, which I plan to get within the next month... Is it ok to send in the app now, and do you know how I can get those letters sent to the different schools later? thanks you very much, Mike

I know for sure you can send in your application to aadsas and they will process it without your letters. i am not sure if you can send aadsas your letters to send out later, but you could just have your letters sent directly to schools by profs or to a different service such as infotrack or your school's student services office, if you have one that does that sort of thing. then that service would copy and send out the letters to the schools you request.

I would suggest sending your AADSAS now, and when you get your recs send them directly to the schools. This way will be much faster than sending it through AADSAS.

JRogoff,

What is the name of the girl next to you in your avatar?

SloppyJoe said:
JRogoff,

What is the name of the girl next to you in your avatar?

That is my girlfriend Heather. Why do you ask, you know her from somewhere?

what are you gonna do if that person knows HER from SOMEWHERE?

mwsung said:
what are you gonna do if that person knows HER from SOMEWHERE?

Not much

I just felt like asking a random question......

Members don't see this ad :)
SloppyJoe said:
I just felt like asking a random question......

You're right, that was a pretty random question..l

JRogoff,

are you sitting in front of your computer checking posts every second?

this is just another random question... this is getting fun...

ooooooooooooooooook

i've seen some unusual questions on SDN before, but never something like that one.
good luck to yo ufor this pp cycle sloppy and MWSUNG/

mwsung said:
JRogoff,

are you sitting in front of your computer checking posts every second?

this is just another random question... this is getting fun...

Thanks for getting my back perfect.

mwsung, have i done something to offend you? I am pretty sure i havn't, and your remarks are not needed here.

just stating my observation JRogoff

Q: I transferred to a 4-year school from a community college. Do you schools look at GPAs separately by schools, or do they just look at the overall GPA (and science, and BCP)?

To JRogoff: I remembered to post this in the Q&A forum:)

edkNARF said:
Q: I transferred to a 4-year school from a community college. Do you schools look at GPAs separately by schools, or do they just look at the overall GPA (and science, and BCP)?

To JRogoff: I remembered to post this in the Q&S forum:)

Overall GPA. I have 5 schools including universities and ccs. My GPA is overall with all those classes I took in all 5 schools. Good luck!

Guys, I have a question. My AADSAS application has already been submitted and paid on June 1. I called them yesterday (6/22/04) and they still don't have my recommendation letters on file. I was supposed to be getting 3 LORs in April. Do you think I should contact the professors about LORs? I am afraid they still have not gotten my LORs and this will slow down my process. I don't want to be last on the line...

Yes, definitely contact your professors right away to make sure they have sent your LOR. They are usually really busy and sometimes put things on the backburner and then forget about it.

However, if the professors do indicate that they have submitted the LOR then most likely AADSAS have 'misplace' them (so they are basically lost) [they have a tendency to 'misplace' things and think they haven't receive them]. If this is the case, I guess you have to ask your professor to re-submit the LOR again with the 'LOR matching form'.

If my school has a letter of rec service, do you think I could just send the letters directly to the school? I told aadsas in my application who my three letters were going to be from, but I want to avoid as many middle men as possible.

Yes you can, but just to make sure AADSAS will not be holding your application until the LORs come in you should contact them and indicate that you will be sending the LORs directly to the schools.

my school is sending the LORs to both the ADEA (i told them asap would be great) and another set to the individual schools. the office person told me that the university chooses to send them to the schools around mid August, just so there is enough time for the AADSAS application and my money to get there.

quick question: when would you say is the best to call and send the DAT scores? i don't want to do it too early out of fear that they'll just chuck it (hey, we don't have a file for her yet...thunk) but not too late where they could be already reviewing the application and deciding "interview...or not?"

vandy_yankee said:
quick question: when would you say is the best to call and send the DAT scores? i don't want to do it too early out of fear that they'll just chuck it (hey, we don't have a file for her yet...thunk) but not too late where they could be already reviewing the application and deciding "interview...or not?"

Have you already taken the DAT? If so, your scores are sent automatically to the schools you checked off when you registered for the DAT.

^i took the DAT back in January (i was paranoid, i wanted to leave the summer open in case if i needed to take it again) so i doubt the schools have kept the scores they sent out. and, to be frank, i've forgotten which schools i even had them sent to (definitely not the exact same schools i ended up applying to).

Then I can resend the DAT scores about 2 weeks after you have sumbmitted the application. If the DAT arrive early then the school will sent up a folder for you, but I don't think it will be too early as DAT center takes time to pull your record and mail it.

Does anyone how often InfoSource updates?

edkNARF said:
Does anyone how often InfoSource updates?

Updates are done by the schools themselves, not AADSAS. So it depends on the school how often they update infosource.

Don't expect too much on Infosource. Sometimes the schools never update it or if they do, it would take SO long to update it (sometimes even after you have received the mail already).

i have my aadsas completed, and also have my transcripts ready to go. the only prob is that my advisor is out of town until the 6th of july....therefore she won't be able to send off my LORS until then. should i just wait until then to submit my app, or should i submit my aadsas and transcipts now (about 10 days ahead of my LORS...? thanks...

Send everything you have to AADSAS now, don't wait.

Have your advisor send a LOR to AADSAS and the individual schools themselves. Just in cas AADSAS loses your Letters, the school will already have them.

good luck
HD

ok i'm back with another question...
i am currently declared an "independent" from my parents...and am 22 years old..which would mean i have no legal guardian... So, for questions 28-39 in the general parental information section on the aadsas application, I should enter "none" correct? the reason i ask is because i am applying to schools as a resident of south carolina, but i am originally from florida. Being that they are not my legal guardians any longer, do i sill need to put their address in florida down? Thank you again!

highfly413 said:
ok i'm back with another question...
i am currently declared an "independent" from my parents...and am 22 years old..which would mean i have no legal guardian... So, for questions 28-39 in the general parental information section on the aadsas application, I should enter "none" correct? the reason i ask is because i am applying to schools as a resident of south carolina, but i am originally from florida. Being that they are not my legal guardians any longer, do i sill need to put their address in florida down? Thank you again!

What state are you a legal resident of?

I am pretty sure that when one is applying for any masters level or above education, they will are considering an independent my FAFSA by default? Anyone know if this is true?

edkNARF said:
I am pretty sure that when one is applying for any masters level or above education, they will are considering an independent my FAFSA by default? Anyone know if this is true?

Not really, you can still be considered dependant even if your in a professional or masters level program.

JRogoff said:
Not really, you can still be considered dependant even if your in a professional or masters level program.

For the 2004-2005 academic year, you?re an independent student if at least one of the following applies to you:

-You are or will be enrolled in a master?s or doctorate program (beyond a bachelor?s degree) at the beginning of the 2004-2005 school year.

The above is taken from the following DOE website:
http://studentaid.ed.gov/students/p...uide/2004_2005/english/general-dependency.htm

What benefits are their to being a dependent? Can't one qualify for more loans as an indepenent?

What benefits are their to being a dependent? Can't one qualify for more loans as an indepenent?

I think as a dependent, you will receive more loans (larger amount) than independent because they assume that you will have financial support from those dependents.

i am currently establishing residency in south carolina...and i want to be considered one on my app.

highfly413 said:
i am currently establishing residency in south carolina...and i want to be considered one on my app.

In that case, i would not put your parents address in Florida down on your application. I say this because you don't want MUSC to think that your are a Florida resident. If they did, you would have a slim chance of getting in there.

thanks jrogoff...
well in the section where it asks for a parent's name and address, should i just leave the address blank? is that acceptable? bc i already put my SC address down for every place it asks for address. thanks

^^^^

Yeah, i would leave it blank if i were you.

Bump for all those new applicants! :D

tengo una pregunta--

i took my DATs back in jan and now need to resend them to some schools. the problem is, three of my schools have already opened a file for me, but there are two slackers who say they are still working on 2004 cycle and won't look at 2005 until mid august (they wouldn't even tell me whether they have received my application fee yet, those bastards).

so, should i go ahead and ask for the DATs for the first three schools now and put off for the other two until august? or should i just ask for them to be sent to all the schools now, and hope that the two slacker schools won't throw them away when they receive it? i'm just worried because i'm afraid the dental association will be getting a high volume of requests by august, and don't want the schools to be waiting for my scores for a month (even if it is their fault, those slackers).

muchas gracias, strangers

I just got off the phone with the AADSAS people. They gave me some very interesting information.
-AADSAS DOES NOT verify your transcript information. They simply send it out to other schools.
-The most recent number is in the low thousands
-AADSAS sends out one mailing per week
-Each mailing has 150-185 applications
-The amount of applications coming increase dramatically during October/November
-Once your AADSAS number is >2,000, it will take a long time to get have you application mailed out.

Do I enter 0 for the units on a class I recieved a W in, or just enter how many units the class is worth?
Anybody find physics lab on the AADSAS list?

^^^ You should enter in the # of units the class is worth. Also for general physics with lab just use 4020.

i submitted my aadsas w/ my transcripts on june 28th. my LORS are being sent in a week or two. my question is: will my application still be processed without the LORS?, because i've heard some say that it's processed with out transcripts...just curious. thanks

highfly413 said:
i submitted my aadsas w/ my transcripts on june 28th. my LORS are being sent in a week or two. my question is: will my application still be processed without the LORS?, because i've heard some say that it's processed with out transcripts...just curious. thanks

They will process you application without LORs. I do suggest however that you send the LORs directly to the schools, and not through AADSAS. They will get there a lot faster this way. If you send them through AADSAS it is possible that it could take more than a month for them to eventually reach the schools you applied to.