Things You Should Know About O.d. Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HOLLYWOOD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Before you decide on what optom. school you want to go to you should know. The first time pass rate of part 1 of the boards. Part 2 and 3 are easy.should also find out what you can about the rotations (this is where you become an o.d.).Also find out what the attrition rate is . hope this helps

Members don't see this ad.

where can u get the stats. of the board exam results of each school. i tried looking them up online but i couldnt find anything.

Thanks.

ODra said:
where can u get the stats. of the board exam results of each school. i tried looking them up online but i couldnt find anything.

Thanks.
Call the school. And don't let them tell you that they don't have them ,these scores are very important to them b/c it reflects how good or bad a school is. One person I spoke to told me that there scores were low b/c they were'nt required for graduation. That's B.S. first of all the test cost ~$600 no student is going to want to take that test twice. Second of all it is required if you want to practice in the U.S. AND the majority ~97% were american citizens.

Members don't see this ad :)
HOLLYWOOD said:
Call the school. And don't let them tell you that they don't have them ,these scores are very important to them b/c it reflects how good or bad a school is. One person I spoke to told me that there scores were low b/c they were'nt required for graduation. That's B.S. first of all the test cost ~$600 no student is going to want to take that test twice. Second of all it is required if you want to practice in the U.S. AND the majority ~97% were american citizens.

Hey Hollywood

I'm planning on going to PCO in the fall...do you know their board scores offhand? I know it's a good school and that the students coming out of there are good..I was just wondering. Thanks!

Does anyone know where NECO stands concerning the national boards?

excuse me for my ignorance, but what is attrition?

HOLLYWOOD said:
Before you decide on what optom. school you want to go to you should know. The first time pass rate of part 1 of the boards. Part 2 and 3 are easy.should also find out what you can about the rotations (this is where you become an o.d.).Also find out what the attrition rate is . hope this helps

Does anyone know what the rotations are like for ICO, SUNY and NECO?

Phillygirl98 said:
I'm planning on going to PCO in the fall...do you know their board scores offhand? I know it's a good school and that the students coming out of there are good..I was just wondering. Thanks!

I posted what PCO's board scores were from August '04, you can find it in an old thread, I don't remember offhand.

What's the drop out rate for SUNY?

I called NECO, SUNY, SCCO and Berkeley for their passing rates on boards part 1 because I have applied to those schools and would like to know.

SCCO said their last years class was 79%, Berkeley said it was about 91-92%(the highest of all the schools) and NECO and SUNY couldn't give me the numbers straight up.

NECO even said they weren't sure they could give that info to the public. However, I have emailed the academic advising office for each of those schools and hopefully they can give me some numbers. I'll give you all an update when I get a response. If anyone happens to know these numbers already maybe you can let all of us curious applicants know :thumbup:

This was in an e-mail the Dean sent to all students last year.

Sorry about the formatting.

- Rosanna

UCBSO

Part I: Basic Science
Year UCB Pass Rate National Pass Rate UCB advantage %
2003 89.0 67.7 21.3
2002 95.0 72.0 23.0
2001 80.0 70.0 10.00
2000 87.0 77.0 10.00

Part II: Clinical Science
Year UCB Pass-Rate National Pass Rate UCB advantage %
2003 98.0 89.7 8.3
2002 96.0 90.2 5.8
2001 100 92.0 8.0
2000 100 92.0 8.0

Part III: Patient Care
2003 98.0 90.0 8.0
2002 100 93.0 7.0
2001 98.0 92.0 6.0
2000 98.0 94.0 4.0

Ultimate Pass-Rate at Graduation
2003 98.2 87.4 10.8
2002 96.2 91.0 5.2
2001 98.3 91.0 7.3
2000 93.0 90.0 3.0

Phillygirl98 said:
Hey Hollywood

I think it was about 80%. Which is above the national average.

ODra said:
Does anyone know where NECO stands concerning the national boards?
If I remember correctly it was below ave.

usually SCCO's passing rate on the board's is up in the 90%. last year's scores were the first time it went down.

Dr. Johnston got back to me and told me the passing rate for SUNY part 1 boards was 90%, 20 points above the national average.

purplehaze98 said:
Berkeley said it was about 91-92%(the highest of all the schools)...

SCO had a 95% passage rate for part I of the boards in 2004 ;)

chemgirlie said:
SCO had a 95% passage rate for part I of the boards in 2004 ;)

haha just out of curiousity; waiting for some proud student to tell me their school's passing rate is below the average; how can every school be above it??? :)

cunikki said:
haha just out of curiousity; waiting for some proud student to tell me their school's passing rate is below the average; how can every school be above it??? :)

Well, just in general, schools have told me that when you are looking at the passing rates on the boards, you have to look further beyond the percentage a school may tell you. You also have to look at the gpa's a student must have in order to take the board at the school. Some schools do not have a limit, where as some schools may require a certain gpa. A school that does not have a gpa requirement may have lower percentages of those who pass the first time as a result. Like I said, this is just what I have heard. Something to consider.

you also have to make sure they're telling you the FIRST TIME pass rate. many schools boast 95+ % ratings... but upon investigation they're giving you the number that have passed at graduation. I would hope you could have passed part one after two years !!

My classes pass rating (first time pass rate) on part 1 was about 85%.

But, like many others have said... it's part your school and part how much you study. the students in my class who failed, almost all of them admitted to not studying.