-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Official Tufts class of 2010
Started by silas2642
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
silas2642 said:Come on, guys, I know there are acceptances out there! Tell me if you're going to be my classmate next year
I'm still debating between Brown and Tufts at this point. But I really liked the fact that Tufts is right in the center of Boston, which is my favorite city. The students and faculty were so nice and laid back.Brown has its advantages also and their campus is beautiful. it's going to be tough to pick between both. I wish I had a magic crystal ball to make the choice for me. 😛 does anybody know when is the second look program at Tufts? also is anybody planning on attending the summer program? I would hate to spend my summer before med school in classes but I wouldn't want to be at a disadvantage either...crystal ball where are thou?...

Hi! I'm a first year at Tufts Dental right now. I was looking for a roommate for next year. I am currently renting a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom apartment. It is on the 22nd floor with a view of the Boston Harbor. It is 3 stops from the dental school on the Orange Line (takes about 5 minutes) or about a 10-12 minute walk. The T stop is right next to the building. If you are interested, please email me at [email protected]. Thank you!
hey all, I just found out that Tufts won't have a second look program. But you can arrange to sit on a class with a volunteer student and visit "campus" on your own. I'll probably do that. Does anybody remember if Tufts has all lectures or some PBL as well?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
doctoresse said:hey all, I just found out that Tufts won't have a second look program. But you can arrange to sit on a class with a volunteer student and visit "campus" on your own. I'll probably do that. Does anybody remember if Tufts has all lectures or some PBL as well?
Hi guys,
I'm sitting in a few classes this Thursday. It was really easy to set up through the admissions office. The student you end up shadowing can give you the details. Their schedule varies week to week. For this week it looks like most of the classes are on Tu/Wed/Thu with lectures in the morning 9-12pm and a lab on Thu, and PBL/Clinical Cases small group meetings anywhere between 1-6pm.
Since apparently there is no 2nd look weekend, does that mean that there isn't an opportunity to meet other students who are potentially looking for roommates? Or is that a separate event closer to the start of school?
I think that they will have an event to meet other students, I know they have a summer program for anybody interested.
Any idea when that is? And is the summer program worth it?doctoresse said:I think that they will have an event to meet other students, I know they have a summer program for anybody interested.
PhillyMD2006 said:Any idea when that is? And is the summer program worth it?
I don't know when it begins, but I guess it's worth it if you've been out of school for awhile.
PhillyMD2006: you've been accepted to Tufts, right? Is it definitely Tufts if you don't get off the Columbia waitlist?
That's the plan.silas2642 said:I don't know when it begins, but I guess it's worth it if you've been out of school for awhile.
PhillyMD2006: you've been accepted to Tufts, right? Is it definitely Tufts if you don't get off the Columbia waitlist?
Very sweet. Just out of curiosity, what are you doing for housing next year? Have you started looking into it yet?PhillyMD2006 said:That's the plan.
That is the question. Fotunately, I have a friend who is a 1st year now, so he is of some help to me. His general advice was to live somewhere along the Orange line. So basically I'm going to try and restrict my search to somewhere within a couple block radius of a T stop. Should lead to a never-ending search on Craigslist. Although, I'm not making any commitments until I consult the Housing Coordinator they hire.silas2642 said:Very sweet. Just out of curiosity, what are you doing for housing next year? Have you started looking into it yet?
Silas, what's your deal?
PhillyMD2006 said:That is the question. Fotunately, I have a friend who is a 1st year now, so he is of some help to me. His general advice was to live somewhere along the Orange line. So basically I'm going to try and restrict my search to somewhere within a couple block radius of a T stop. Should lead to a never-ending search on Craigslist. Although, I'm not making any commitments until I consult the Housing Coordinator they hire.
Silas, what's your deal?
Tufts was my first choice right from the start. I didn't have a lot of money for applications, so I didn't apply to many schools-- returned only six secondaries. I live in an area where TUSM students rotate through and I've had the chance to meet a few of them; I thought they were great. I had a fabulous time on my interview day, I'm completely in love with Boston (GO SOX!!), and so once I got my acceptance in December I dropped all the other schools.
The only thing about living in an apartment is the roomate issue... if you end up getting a roomate that you completely incompatible with, your first year may very well be a living hell. I've heard the dorms suck, but I think that I could deal with that for a year until I could meet some of our classmates and set something a little more appealing up later on. Where are you from, anyway? UPenn? I'm just taking a wild guess. Congratulations, btw, on your success; I hope Columbia works out for you because it sounds like you really want to go there. If not, can't wait to meet you come late August.
Hi everyone,
I'm a current third year (M'07). The dual degree is questionable....the general mantra on MBA programs is it's not worth doing unless it's at one of the top few programs in the country (harvard, penn, mit, etc). I tend to be skeptical of dual degrees, but tufts has its share. The only dual programs i'd consider are the MD/MPH or the MD/MALD, though I'm in neither program.
As for the board scores.... we do quite well. And I know for a fact that a good portion of our class does pretty well (240+). That said, if you're a lazy idiot, you could have the best education in the world and fail. PM if you have any questions.
Oh, and for housing, there's a rising first year every summer who becomes the housing coordinator for incoming students. That person will have a list of available apartments (courtesy of classmates and graduating seniors).
I'm a current third year (M'07). The dual degree is questionable....the general mantra on MBA programs is it's not worth doing unless it's at one of the top few programs in the country (harvard, penn, mit, etc). I tend to be skeptical of dual degrees, but tufts has its share. The only dual programs i'd consider are the MD/MPH or the MD/MALD, though I'm in neither program.
As for the board scores.... we do quite well. And I know for a fact that a good portion of our class does pretty well (240+). That said, if you're a lazy idiot, you could have the best education in the world and fail. PM if you have any questions.
Oh, and for housing, there's a rising first year every summer who becomes the housing coordinator for incoming students. That person will have a list of available apartments (courtesy of classmates and graduating seniors).
Glad to hear Silas. I look forward to meeting you.silas2642 said:Tufts was my first choice right from the start. I didn't have a lot of money for applications, so I didn't apply to many schools-- returned only six secondaries. I live in an area where TUSM students rotate through and I've had the chance to meet a few of them; I thought they were great. I had a fabulous time on my interview day, I'm completely in love with Boston (GO SOX!!), and so once I got my acceptance in December I dropped all the other schools.
The only thing about living in an apartment is the roomate issue... if you end up getting a roomate that you completely incompatible with, your first year may very well be a living hell. I've heard the dorms suck, but I think that I could deal with that for a year until I could meet some of our classmates and set something a little more appealing up later on. Where are you from, anyway? UPenn? I'm just taking a wild guess. Congratulations, btw, on your success; I hope Columbia works out for you because it sounds like you really want to go there. If not, can't wait to meet you come late August.
When I applied, I narrowed it down to 3 cities I wanted to be in: Boston, New York, and Philadelphia. So yes, while I would love to be in Boston starting this fall, New York, being closer to friends and family, has an edge in my mind.
Penn. You?
emtji said:Hi everyone,
I'm a current third year (M'07). The dual degree is questionable....the general mantra on MBA programs is it's not worth doing unless it's at one of the top few programs in the country (harvard, penn, mit, etc).
I'm a first year md/mba.
True for lone mba's. False for dual degree md/mba's. It is very easy to be hired as a tufts md/mba, which (along with making connections) is the only reason for that "mantra." At a recent video conference with md/mba alumni, of 8 that attended, 3 were solely in business. One works on wallstreet, one is a hedgefund manager, and one is a venture capitalist. Moreover, Tufts has the largest md/mba class of 16, making for many more direct contacts than the average 3-5 at other schools.
emtji said:I tend to be skeptical of dual degrees, but tufts has its share.
The medical school community has not shared your skepticism. Since Tufts' founding program ten years ago, a third to half of the country has followed suite, creating their own md/mba programs.
emtji said:The only dual programs i'd consider are the MD/MPH or the MD/MALD, though I'm in neither program.
I have a few MD/MPH friends, most of whom are dissatisfied with the program. However, i speak only for them; perhaps it is only these few that dislike it.
I'm quite satisfied with the md/mba program.
PhillyMD2006 said:Glad to hear Silas. I look forward to meeting you.
When I applied, I narrowed it down to 3 cities I wanted to be in: Boston, New York, and Philadelphia. So yes, while I would love to be in Boston starting this fall, New York, being closer to friends and family, has an edge in my mind.
Penn. You?
My state school.
fair enough.
The MD/MBA makes sense if you'll use it. It's not worth it for the extra feather in your cap.
The MD/MBA makes sense if you'll use it. It's not worth it for the extra feather in your cap.
cleansocks said:I'm a first year md/mba.
True for lone mba's. False for dual degree md/mba's. It is very easy to be hired as a tufts md/mba, which (along with making connections) is the only reason for that "mantra." At a recent video conference with md/mba alumni, of 8 that attended, 3 were solely in business. One works on wallstreet, one is a hedgefund manager, and one is a venture capitalist. Moreover, Tufts has the largest md/mba class of 16, making for many more direct contacts than the average 3-5 at other schools.
The medical school community has not shared your skepticism. Since Tufts' founding program ten years ago, a third to half of the country has followed suite, creating their own md/mba programs.
I have a few MD/MPH friends, most of whom are dissatisfied with the program. However, i speak only for them; perhaps it is only these few that dislike it.
I'm quite satisfied with the md/mba program.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm not from Boston so I'm going off a limited working knowledge of the area, but the areas I'm going to be looking in for an apartment are Copley Sq, Prudential, Symphony, Northeastern, and then along the Orange Line around the Back Bay, Mass Ave, and Ruggles T stops. Obviously, cost will be a factor so I'm going to be looking at 2 and 3 (and maybe 4) bedroom places. Are these good areas to be looking in? What kind of prices can I expect to pay? Craigslist is pretty useful, but pictures and descriptions can often be quite deceiving.
PhillyMD2006 said:I'm not from Boston so I'm going off a limited working knowledge of the area, but the areas I'm going to be looking in for an apartment are Copley Sq, Prudential, Symphony, Northeastern, and then along the Orange Line around the Back Bay, Mass Ave, and Ruggles T stops. Obviously, cost will be a factor so I'm going to be looking at 2 and 3 (and maybe 4) bedroom places. Are these good areas to be looking in? What kind of prices can I expect to pay? Craigslist is pretty useful, but pictures and descriptions can often be quite deceiving.
People live everywhere. Look along the red and orange line and in the areas you mentioned. They're all typical places for Tufts kids. I don't know much about prices, but they will vary significantly depending on where you decide to stay. Back Bay will be the most expensive. The other areas will be better. I'd wait until the summer to get a place, so that you have the assistance of the university.
It got awfully quiet in here. When are the 3rd round of acceptances supposed to go out?
Anyway, I posted in the Pre-Allopathic Forum about Boston housing in general, and it looks like Copley Square/Prudential is the place to look (Back Bay if you can afford it).
Anyway, I posted in the Pre-Allopathic Forum about Boston housing in general, and it looks like Copley Square/Prudential is the place to look (Back Bay if you can afford it).
It is definitely looking like Tufts for me. I am still on the wait-list at Dartmouth, and I think i would be torn if I got in, but Boston has great clinical opportunities/connections and there is something psychologically gratifiying about going to a school that has wonted you there from the beginning (maybe this is just me). 🙄
I will be up in Boston for Passover this weekend, and will be sitting in on some classes on Friday. Anyone else planning to do that? I am also going to look for housing. Right now, I am thinking about the South End, but also possibly Cambridge because i have two big dogs.
I am really getting excited for school and to meet you all.
I will be up in Boston for Passover this weekend, and will be sitting in on some classes on Friday. Anyone else planning to do that? I am also going to look for housing. Right now, I am thinking about the South End, but also possibly Cambridge because i have two big dogs.
I am really getting excited for school and to meet you all.
miss bean said:It is definitely looking like Tufts for me. I am still on the wait-list at Dartmouth, and I think i would be torn if I got in, but Boston has great clinical opportunities/connections and there is something psychologically gratifiying about going to a school that has wonted you there from the beginning (maybe this is just me). 🙄
I will be up in Boston for Passover this weekend, and will be sitting in on some classes on Friday. Anyone else planning to do that? I am also going to look for housing. Right now, I am thinking about the South End, but also possibly Cambridge because i have two big dogs.
I am really getting excited for school and to meet you all.
How did you like Dartmouth? I had an interview invite there, but declined. I just thought that it wouldn't be a good fit for me-- it's in the middle of nowhere, ivy league, limited clinical exposure. I'm pretty happy about my decision to go to Tufts; I honestly can't picture myself going anywhere else.
To all other accepted applicants: start posting, the lack of activity on this page is really getting embarassing!!