Retaking lab classes with no lab

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rgerwin

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. So, I had one C- in a lab science, and I retook the class part (I could not fit in the lab). I raised that, but how does that work with my GPA/transcripts? If a school requires above a C, do I need to take the lab?

Members don't see this ad.

rgerwin said:
Hi everyone. So, I had one C- in a lab science, and I retook the class part (I could not fit in the lab). I raised that, but how does that work with my GPA/transcripts? If a school requires above a C, do I need to take the lab?

I think that you need to retake the lab part of it too. Because I think most schools require the class and lab. But I am not a 100% sure, so maybe you should talk to your academic counselor just to make sure. GOOD LUCK!

rgerwin said:

I don't understand why you are asking the question.

If you recieved a C- in a lab, how can you get your grade above a C- by not retaking the lab?

I don't see how retaking a lecture class is going to affect a lab class. Are they considered 1 class? If so, how do you have a seperate grade?

Members don't see this ad :)
rgerwin said:

I am assuming that you got a C- in both the lab and the class then? Usually, if the school requires above a C then..umm, yes you will have to retake the lab as well. I'm a little confused about this thread... :eek:

Basically, the school I took it at allows taking them in 2 parts, different semesters. I decided to do this, b/c I have alot of commitments. However, this semester, the class filled up too quickly at night, and now I'm shut out of it.

Also, I did get a separate lab grade, informally, but they averaged into my grade for the transcript

we need a "Do Over". What the Hizzy? I only speak American!! Everyone is confused here.

If you took a lecture and lab seperately for a class then you may retake them seperately and elect to only choose one. Only the retaken course will be recalculated as they are 2 seperate entities.

If nobody answered your question could you tell us if the original class is a combined lecture/lab course?

I'm so sorry. The original was not separated, but the retake is. If I do take the lab, and I get a different grade than the lecture, and idea how that works?

call AACOMAS. They are very friendly! let us know what they say:

301 968-4190

rgerwin said:
I'm so sorry. The original was not separated, but the retake is. If I do take the lab, and I get a different grade than the lecture, and idea how that works?

So, the scoop is this. If your original transcript separated the class and lab grades, it is fine to retake only parts of it. If not, then you have to suck it up. If the retake is in two separate parts, they will just substitute the appropriate credit hours and grades. So, if you get a B in the class for 3 credits, and an A in the lab for 1 credit, you get the idea. I have registered for the lab, and hopefully it won't be too much. Thanks for everyone's help!

good info

rgerwin said:
So, the scoop is this. If your original transcript separated the class and lab grades, it is fine to retake only parts of it. If not, then you have to suck it up. If the retake is in two separate parts, they will just substitute the appropriate credit hours and grades. So, if you get a B in the class for 3 credits, and an A in the lab for 1 credit, you get the idea. I have registered for the lab, and hopefully it won't be too much. Thanks for everyone's help!