Top Programs in Ob/gyn?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

obbyjobby

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not to get all trigger happy with the comments, but I was wondering if there were other M4s out there applying to ob/gyn this year? I was wondering what the general perception was of the top programs out there, how friendly (err..I hate this term, but not known to be "malignant") these programs are, and what it takes to be competitive to these programs. I'm an average student at a very good medical school, lots of research (with 1 pub, 1 pending pub, 1 poster and 1 oral talk for a national conference) and tons of ECs and leadership stuff under my belt.

What are the programs ya'll are applying to? Here's what I've been able to put together from talking to my advisor and some of my friends:

U Dub
UCSF
Brigham
Yale
Columbia
Northwestern
Hopkins
Iowa

It's a pretty daunting list, right? How do Washington University, Emory, and Stanford compare to these? My advisor also told me to look at Ohio, Cleveland, and Brown. I want to stay at a big university setting with lots of oppportunities for research and rotating through subspecialties (think I want to do REI). Any others to add to the list? Am I aiming too high? Just wanted to have an idea. And any other M4s going into ob? Love to hear your input too :)

Members don't see this ad.

And oh yeah! I'm single and love to go out. Which makes me not all that psyched about a place like New Haven, but my presumptions might be wrong.

Just curious, are you from Iowa? I don't know anything about them, but I have never heard of them being mentioned anywhere near the top. But, I think any of the schools you listed are great. I would add MD Anderson and UCLA to the list of top schools. Sounds like you'll have no trouble getting into any of them. Do an away elective at the one you are interested in and see if you would be happy there for 4 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not from IA, I'm actually from another school on that list, but this is what I've been told! (I am from the rural midwest and adore Iowa City, though.)

You may want to diversify a bit. You have a list of very competitive programs there. After the results of last year's match, I think that a lot of people were given out of date information about the competitiveness of the applicant pool. Doesn't hurt to add a few more programs in there and maybe a few that aren't top, top programs. Throw in programs that are in the same city as a few of the others you have already listed. I don't know anything about Iowa either, but that's the beauty of residency programs, the good ones aren't always connected with the school names everyone recognizes. I would also advise adding UCLA. Don't know about their malignancy level, but they take their own for fellowships and they have an REI fellowship. If you're really interested in going to UW, you should do an away there, they seem to like people they know. From talking to other people who interviewed last year, people really like Brown. I would advise not sweating the details and work on finding somewhere where you will be happy. Believe me, you have no idea how much time you are actually going to be spending with these people. ;) Good luck!

My two cents -- some programs have a "top name" but their OB/GYN residency program may not really be that good so really be careful about the programs you select. If you absolutely know that you want to do an REI fellowship I would look at all residency programs that currently have an REI fellowship as it is a very competitive fellowship and being at a program that has a fellowship gives you a huge advantage in getting that program's fellowship position or having good connections from the REI faculty for a fellowship at another program.

From experience as a sub-I and applicant, I can tell you that Emory was disappointing to say the least. My classmates who interviewed there felt the same way. I also heard that they lost at least 1 or 2 interns last year but don't know details. I think they are riding on what used to be a famous (for good reason) name.
I have heard OSU is a top program, don't know about the others you mentioned.

UAB, UNC, Duke, all solid programs with great fellowships and research ability. I matched at UAB and it definitely can rival all the northeastern programs. Don't fall to the SDN prevalence of Northeast/western influence, check these out. But things are definitely more competitive compared to other years, which we should be proud of. GoodLuck!

UT Southwestern/Parkland is another top OB/Gyn residency program.

I'm not sure where UC San Diego falls in terms of ranking, but all the residents and attendings speak very highly of their program and consider it one of the best in California (I have no idea how true that is). My own opinion is that they are definitely a very "friendly" program- ie the residents get along great and the attendings are wonderful.

I always have trouble with this website when it comes to people bashing programs :rolleyes: . Emory lost one 3rd year when that person switched to IM last year, otherwise no one else has left. As a sub-I there I enjoyed my time and I thought that the faculty and residents were great.

Obbyjobby: Sounds like you know at least one program that you like. I am sure they would love to have you at Iowa. I agree with Wednesday, try to look for the program where you would feel comfortable and happy. It is a long road and you will have bad days no matter how perfect the program might seem. Good luck in your search and enjoy 4th year :)

Thanks for the input, guys. I definitely plan to apply all over and to a wide range of programs. Those I listed are definitely my "reach" programs.

(I have heard the same about Emory too, incidentally.)

I think that when someone asks for an opinion, they appreciate honest answers. Me telling someone that I was disappointed in a program (one I was obviously interested in or I wouldn't have done a sub-I there) does not constitute 'bashing.' I think it just lets them know that I have had experience with that program and if they would like further info they can message or email me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually Emory lost quite a few.
They had 2 interns change specialities. They held back a 2nd year. And they kicked out a 3rd year (upcoming fourth year). The prior year they also lost a 2nd year. That's quite a few....

Spittz03 said:
I always have trouble with this website when it comes to people bashing programs :rolleyes: . Emory lost one 3rd year when that person switched to IM last year, otherwise no one else has left. As a sub-I there I enjoyed my time and I thought that the faculty and residents were great.

Obbyjobby: Sounds like you know at least one program that you like. I am sure they would love to have you at Iowa. I agree with Wednesday, try to look for the program where you would feel comfortable and happy. It is a long road and you will have bad days no matter how perfect the program might seem. Good luck in your search and enjoy 4th year :)

I think Duke is an awesome program. I matched there and am so happy I did. Everyone is incredibly nice -- don't believe the malignant rumors. W/b if you have any specific questions.

obbyjobby said:
U Dub
UCSF
Brigham
Yale
Columbia
Northwestern
Hopkins
Iowa

i heard that while iowa is a great program to match into...it is not as difficult to match into as some of the others on your list because it is in iowa(not necessarily chicago or san fran ya know).

i also heard that emory was having issues but that it was still a respected school in the field.

parkland is good but my advisor said that its gonna be a rough 80 hour week.

i must say...i have found choosing programs to apply to a very frustrating task. i have no idea where i would be competitive. how many programs are most people applying to? are a lot of people doing aways? people at my school seem to think that aways aren't all that necessary(is that just because i am from northwestern?).

does anyone know anything about pitt, ohsu, ucdavis, dartmouth, nyu, or u chicago?

obgyn06 said:
They had 2 interns change specialities. They held back a 2nd year. And they kicked out a 3rd year (upcoming fourth year). The prior year they also lost a 2nd year. That's quite a few....

Woa! Scandals that have rocked Grady Hospital. A Georgia Senator sentenced to prison over corruptions at the hospital (I'm not sure of the details but it was in USA Today, I think). There was a news article on one of the web service (CNN?) that they even kicked out a student newpaper editor for reporting on the corruption.

Now, this? 2 interns changing specialties is not an unusual thing, but kicking out a 3rd year and losing a second year? That's 4 people in short order. This is a big red flag. There have been several other well publicized terminations including a 4th year medical student who allegedly reported some kind of patient care issues and was dismissed for "unprofessional" and "psychiatric" issues. There were also rumors reported in the press about a faculty member who was accused of vandalizing school property after he took a position elsewhere.

I don't know what to make of it, but I'd sure be asking poignant questions if I were on the interview trail.

obgyn06 said:
I've met both Emory interns who are changing specialties this year, and spoke privately with one of them. It sounded like neither were necessarily dissatisfied with Emory's program, just the field in general. One of them switched into radiology.

Cannot comment on the PGY3 though. That sounds like a terrible situation.

In regards to the recent events at Emory. The two interns switching out of the program are doing so for reasons related to ob/gyn in general rather than the Emory U program specifically. The PGY-3 leaving was a situation that had much more to do with the character of the resident than the quality of the program. More importantly, the faculty at Emory have spent the past two years actively working to change the program's "malignant" rep. Those of us applying for the 2007-2008 intern class will be pleasantly surprised.

So, throwing my hat into the ring for match 2007, I've got the following on my list:
UCSF
UCSD
UCLA
Stanford
USC
Northwestern
University of Chicago
Brigham
Beth
NYU
Cornell
Colombia
Emory
Vandy
That being said, I think that list is scary as hell!!! My 4th year dean seems to think its okay, but I don't know. I'm thinking about throwing in a few more just to help me sleep at night.

superspec said:
So, throwing my hat into the ring for match 2007, I've got the following on my list:
UCSF
UCSD
UCLA
Stanford
USC
Northwestern
University of Chicago
Brigham
Beth
NYU
Cornell
Colombia
Emory
Vandy
That being said, I think that list is scary as hell!!! My 4th year dean seems to think its okay, but I don't know. I'm thinking about throwing in a few more just to help me sleep at night.

You should think about adding UCI. The academics are great and I don't think you can find a less malignant program.

:confused:
What does U Dub and UCI stand for?
Thanks!

tiredmom said:
Thanks!

u dub = university of washington...either that or one of the university of wisconsins (dub = W...hip hop slang if you will. double-U. dubble-U. hence..."dub") (for ex. Chris Webber = C-Dub. West-coast Connection = Dub-C connection.)

UCI = university of california, irvine

hope that helps! :thumbup:

tiredmom said:
Thanks!

Are we using too many acronyms? I thought this was the ob/gyn forum! ;)

Sorry, I didn't say the Dub out loud, makes much more sense now. I don't spell well anyways, and my post call brain doesn't think well for several hours! Thanks!

superspec said:
UCSF
UCSD
UCLA
Stanford
USCD
Northwestern
University of Chicago
Brigham
Beth
NYU
Cornell
Colombia
Emory
Vandy

The programs you've listed all have a name. Some are better known for their institutions rather than excellence in obstetrics and gynecology. What are the other who's whom programs?

Pitt
Penn
Brown
Yale
UNC
UW
Michigan
UT Southwestern

There's much more to a program than it's name, however. Be sure to apply to some programs that aren't "top tier." The match was extremely competetive last year.

Rank the programs as they best fit you. I obsessed over the match just like everyone else, but in the end most of the places I interviewed at were great programs. After that, I found that personality, location, and quality of life were much more important in making my final rankings.

Good luck to everyone applying for 2007!

Embryo2006 said:
The programs you've listed all have a name. Some are better known for their institutions rather than excellence in obstetrics and gynecology. What are the other who's whom programs?

Pitt
Penn
Brown
Yale
UNC
UW
Michigan
UT Southwestern

There's much more to a program than it's name, however. Be sure to apply to some programs that aren't "top tier." The match was extremely competetive last year.

Rank the programs as they best fit you. I obsessed over the match just like everyone else, but in the end most of the places I interviewed at were great programs. After that, I found that personality, location, and quality of life were much more important in making my final rankings.

What about Oregon and Baylor in Houston?

Any thoughts on Johns Hopkins OB/GYN program?

obgyn-tx said:
What about Oregon and Baylor in Houston?

I didn't interview at either program. OHSU had a good reputation with my attendings and other applicants on the interview trail. Baylor Houston was not as widely praised, but one of my friends matched there and seems pretty happy.

Quink said:
Any thoughts on Johns Hopkins OB/GYN program?

Take home points from my interview:

1) Strong program
2) Lots of experience and interesting pathology - you will work hard and have an opportunity to provide care to a greatly underserved patient population
3) You will have to cover 3 different sites
4) Baltimore might be +/- as a city. It's a funky city that has a few shady spots around the hospital. Overall, I liked it. Plus, you'd be close to DC with easy access to other east coast cities.
5) Residents seemed satisfied with their training and environment

What about Denver or Duke?

Embryo2006 said:
I didn't interview at either program. OHSU had a good reputation with my attendings and other applicants on the interview trail. Baylor Houston was not as widely praised, but one of my friends matched there and seems pretty happy.

I went to med school at OHSU. It is one of the top programs in the country for Ob/Gyn and matches very competitive applicants every year. Because it is not a big name school it doesn't get very much attention, but Portland is a terrific place to live and the curriculum at OHSU is very very strong.

I am an intern at Stanford, and love it. I think the academics are excellent, the OB volume is very high, and the patients are very complex. The faculty are very friendly and really care about the residents. Also a great place to live, but very expensive!

ShambhalaRed said:
I am an intern at Stanford, and love it. I think the academics are excellent, the OB volume is very high, and the patients are very complex. The faculty are very friendly and really care about the residents. Also a great place to live, but very expensive!

how competitive is the stanford program? are there step 1 cutoffs? apgo says 200 on step 1...how hard or soft is this?

chocchip said:
What about Denver or Duke?
many of the attendings here claim duke is a very malignant program

UCLAMAN said:
how competitive is the stanford program? are there step 1 cutoffs? apgo says 200 on step 1...how hard or soft is this?

200 is their cutoff i.e. you must have above to be considered. I would venture to guess that most residents at Stanford have Board scores well above 200.

Embryo2006 said:

Pitt
Penn
Brown
Yale
UNC
UW
Michigan
UT Southwestern

Good advice. I really liked UW's program. But, didn't match there. Thought it was great.

A sleeper is Providence Hospital in Detroit. Lots of surgery and if you're interesed in onc, they have the best gyn-onc in the region. And there are tonnes of deliveries, there too. Great uro-gyn as well.

UNM (New Mexico) has a fabulous program. The attendings are great, the residents are superb and overall they are a great group of people. Adequate surgeries and lots and lots of deliveries. The faculty all love to teach and are very friendly and personable. All in all I really loved the program there. Add to this the recreational opportunities in the desert, it is a wonderful place to do a residency. I cannot speak more highly about a program and those of you who know me, know I speak my mind, good or bad and UNM is wonderful from nearly every perspective. UNM has an exceptional program, and I am very happy to have served there. I think anyone who wants a great learning experience in an easy going program (you'll work as hard there as anywhere, but I think it's more fun that many other places), then UNM is it. Feel freel to PM me for more details.

kauai said:
200 is their cutoff i.e. you must have above to be considered. I would venture to guess that most residents at Stanford have Board scores well above 200.

yeah i understand the definition of a "cutoff."

i just want to know from someone who may have firsthand experience with the program whether thats a firm cutoff or if they ever deviate. i could care less what apgo says. i was hoping to hear from someone who is either in the program or rotated there or goes goes to medical school there. shambhalared you there? ;)

UCLAMAN said:
yeah i understand the definition of a "cutoff."

i just want to know from someone who may have firsthand experience with the program whether thats a firm cutoff or if they ever deviate. i could care less what apgo says. i was hoping to hear from someone who is either in the program or rotated there or goes goes to medical school there. shambhalared you there? ;)

Sorry! I didn't mean to offend you -- I was just trying to be helpful!

kauai said:
Sorry! I didn't mean to offend you -- I was just trying to be helpful!

no worries. tough to judge tone online. nothin but love. :love: :love: :love:

The University of Pittsburgh program at Magee Women's Hospital is worth checking out. Large ob and gyn volume (lots of vaginal surgery), all of the fellowships (including MIS, Genetics, Family Planning), great faculty, and the hospital is beautiful.

among the top programs, which programs are better with respect to hours/call/lifestyle? I also wanted to know anything about Mayo's OBGYN program, haven't heard much about it, so i was wondering why. and, when you say last year's match was competitive, can you specify. thanks.

I know many of these residents from early this decade. Several residents changed medical speciality during the first and second years (lost count!) including the third year mentioned below who had become very ill and hospitalized more than once during second and third year of program. To the author below, Goatman: to say this resident was kicked out is not accurate, to blame resident for a character issue demonstrates your lack of medical acumen and compassion. Emory Gyn was a malignant program. Perhaps it is better now.

In regards to the recent events at Emory. The two interns switching out of the program are doing so for reasons related to ob/gyn in general rather than the Emory U program specifically. The PGY-3 leaving was a situation that had much more to do with the character of the resident than the quality of the program. More importantly, the faculty at Emory have spent the past two years actively working to change the program's "malignant" rep. Those of us applying for the 2007-2008 intern class will be pleasantly surprised.