change from DO to MD title in CA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ocdoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My friend knows someone at Princeton that says in CA a DO can take a lil exam to become an MD doctor? just basically a change in title, but anyone know if this is true?

Members don't see this ad.

From wikipedia:
In the 1960s in California, the American Medical Association (AMA), sensing increased competition from osteopathic medicine, spent nearly $ 8 million to end the practice of osteopathy in the state. With considerable financial support from the AMA, the state passed a state wide referendum (Proposition 22) ending the practice of osteopathic medicine in California. California D.O.s were offered the M.D. degree in exchange for paying $65 and attending a short seminar. The California Medical Association may have been attempting to eliminate the osteopathic competition by a process of amalgamation by converting thousands of D.O.s to M.D.s. The College of Osteopathic Physicians and Surgeons became the University of California, Irvine, College of Medicine. However, the decision proved quite controversial. In 1974, after protest and lobbying by influential and prominent D.O.s, the California Supreme Court ruled that licensing of D.O.s in that state must be resumed.

That happened back in the 60's but is no longer the case. I think your friend's information may be a bit out of date. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought that was only a 1-time thing a long time ago, when CA's legislature deemed a DO to be equivalent to an MD.... no?

Hey, I heard that you can switch from a BS to a DO by paying a $65 fee. Is that true?

oooo, so for 65 bucks i get a DO, and then another 65 gets me an MD? 130 for an MD coming off a BS??? less than sending my amcas to 1 school. sign me up!

oooo, so for 65 bucks i get a DO, and then another 65 gets me an MD? 130 for an MD coming off a BS??? less than sending my amcas to 1 school. sign me up!

:laugh: Yeah, more like 130 thousand for an MD coming off a BS, divided into 1-year increments for four years. :laugh:

From wikipedia:
In the 1960s in California, the American Medical Association (AMA), sensing increased competition from osteopathic medicine, spent nearly $ 8 million to end the practice of osteopathy in the state. With considerable financial support from the AMA, the state passed a state wide referendum (Proposition 22) ending the practice of osteopathic medicine in California. California D.O.s were offered the M.D. degree in exchange for paying $65 and attending a short seminar. The California Medical Association may have been attempting to eliminate the osteopathic competition by a process of amalgamation by converting thousands of D.O.s to M.D.s. The College of Osteopathic Physicians and Surgeons became the University of California, Irvine, College of Medicine. However, the decision proved quite controversial. In 1974, after protest and lobbying by influential and prominent D.O.s, the California Supreme Court ruled that licensing of D.O.s in that state must be resumed.

wow University of California, Irvine, College of Medicine was a DO school! lol :laugh:

:laugh: Yeah, more like 130 thousand for an MD coming off a BS, divided into 1-year increments for four years. :laugh:

Even more, for some schools. Some go up to like 51k for TUITION alone! I think they're Illinois schools. School in Pennsylvania are expensive too...

...The College of Osteopathic Physicians and Surgeons became the University of California, Irvine, College of Medicine.

lol. they tried to rip off Columbia :laugh:

LOL. i just realized that "College of Osteopathic Physicians and Surgeons" would be abbreviated to COPS. :laugh:

LOL. i just realized that "College of Osteopathic Physicians and Surgeons" would be abbreviated to COPS. :laugh:

What'cha gon' do?
What'cha gon' do when they come for you?

My friend knows someone at Princeton that says in CA a DO can take a lil exam to become an MD doctor? just basically a change in title, but anyone know if this is true?

As others have said, this came and went many decades ago. Your friend seems to be hanging with the senior citizen crowd.

As others have said, this came and went many decades ago. Your friend seems to be hanging with the senior citizen crowd.

well even today, foreign MBBSs refer to themselves as MD, which is in all honestly, probably a bigger stretch.

Just curious, but does UC Irvine still have an OMT group attached to it?