Querry:Only mature answers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

raider

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If one is 34 years old and making 1.2 million a year as a surgical pathologist, is it worth doing a dermatopathology fellowship to earn more money?
PS. During the next ten years the income could go up as high as 2.5 million doing plain surgical pathology.

Members don't see this ad.

If one is 34 years old and making 1.2 million a year as a surgical pathologist, is it worth doing a dermatopathology fellowship to earn more money?
PS. During the next ten years the income could go up as high as 2.5 million doing plain surgical pathology.

WTF:rolleyes:

Don__t_feed_the_Troll.jpg

First off you spelled "Query" wrong in your title. No one making 7 digits would make that mistake...
I call shenanigans.

Buddy,
People who get ensnared by such " irrelevant "minutae will never make that much . Anyway, stick to the post question.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am more interested in replies from dermatopathologists/ surgical pathologists who have been in practice for a couple of years.
Thankyou for the input.

Buddy,
People who get ensnared by such " irrelevant "minutae will never make that much . Anyway, stick to the post question.

Buddy Ol' Pal,

If you are making 1.2m then you are signing out so many cases your histotech is handing you trays while you are sitting in the stall taking your A.M. dump. There is almost no group regularly stacking 'high society' at that level who are doing it legally and certainly no one in said group would post such a ******ed question here.

So again I call shenanigans.

I do not know what you are talking about.
30,000 specimens with 3 pathologists in an area with good insurance, you do the math.
Sure , some people in path make tons of money. Its all about being the right person in the right place at the right time.
Regarding speed of sign-out, that is a very individual thing, just like anyother human endeavor. You can never generalize about what people are capable of given our unique attributes.
How about answering the question instead of dilly-dallying around it?

I do not know what you are talking about.
30,000 specimens with 3 pathologists in an area with good insurance, you do the math.
Sure , some people in path make tons of money. Its all about being the right person in the right place at the right time.
Regarding speed of sign-out, that is a very individual thing, just like anyother human endeavor. You can never generalize about what people are capable of given our unique attributes.
How about answering the question instead of dilly-dallying around it?

you arent doing 30K for 3 FT pathologists of general surg path. cough...BULLSHIAT...cough

There is 1, exactly 1 pathologist in ALL of CA that is doing 10K+ of general surg path and he is in his 70s.

I haven't posted in a while, but this one is so stupid, I feel like I must:

So obviously this person is a troll, but just to entertain them: Do the freaking math yourself. If you're smart enough to be making 1.2million you can figure it out I hope. So you will make between 40-50k for your fellowship. 1.2 million minus 50K is X which is your lost income. 2 million minus 1.2 million times the number of years you practice is the gain in income you will earn in your dumb a$$ made up scenario. Call that Y. If Y is greater than X it will indeed be worth it. Was that too complicated?? If you really are an attending making that kind of cash, well I don't apologize because you must have smoked some crack before you got on here and posted that.

troll.jpg

Good for you that you have inside knowledge about all private pathology groups in the US. Man! do I feel I just killed a couple of neurons in this dialogue. End of my conversations with you LADOC, since I have given you enough benefit of doubt but you just keep showing me how naive you are.
I reiterate only dermatopathologists/surgical pathologists who have spent some years practicing are welcome to comment.
I just saw some post by a medical student, why can't you just keep away and do something productive.
I am not going to answer henceforth unless someone has something smart to say.

LMAO....can we lock this ******ed troll of a thread and somehow prevent 12-year olds from registering as "attendings"?

Well, i only have minimal experience with derm path. But I did get a little bummed looking at skin all day. If you're making enough money to live healthy (which almost every doctor without a gambling habbit falls into this category) do what you enjoy doing.

I don't know where my significant other got this info, but whenever we have the "kids" talk. He reminds me, "you know hun, I would absolutely love to have five kids but just think, each kid will cost $1.2mill until they graduate from school.Give or take a little." Personally... I just respond with... "show me your source...."

If one is making 1.3 billion dollars as a forensic pathology fellow, would it be in my best interest to pick up a part time job at the boutique down the street so I could get a employee clothing discount?!

(Okay, sorry, I couldn't help myself...)

Mindy

If one is making 1.3 billion dollars as a forensic pathology fellow, would it be in my best interest to pick up a part time job at the boutique down the street so I could get a employee clothing discount?!

(Okay, sorry, I couldn't help myself...)

Mindy

...ONLY as long as I can get a discount, too!! :laugh:

Yes. It's definitely worth it. You should also consider going back and getting a Ph.D. to make yourself even more competitive.

Good for you that you have inside knowledge about all private pathology groups in the US. Man! do I feel I just killed a couple of neurons in this dialogue. End of my conversations with you LADOC, since I have given you enough benefit of doubt but you just keep showing me how naive you are.
I reiterate only dermatopathologists/surgical pathologists who have spent some years practicing are welcome to comment.
I just saw some post by a medical student, why can't you just keep away and do something productive.
I am not going to answer henceforth unless someone has something smart to say.

"henceforth"? do you moonlight at midevil times?

mature answers only? starting a thread like this is "mature"?
um have you seen the "smilies" to your right when you composed your 5 posts?

:welcome: :corny::banana:

i never reply to trolls/pre meds posing as professionals, but i have to on this post- i dont even know where to begin.. the poster claims that the salary could go to 2.5 million in the next 10 years..so in essence you are asking if a dermatopathologist can make more than 2.5 million a year........hmmmmm

Yes. It's definitely worth it. You should also consider going back and getting a Ph.D. to make yourself even more competitive.

Yaah, stop giving him such foolish advice. You know that only the combined MD/JD/MBA/MPH combination will push him into the 3 million + dermpath range.

Watch out guys/gals about what advice you get on this site. Some people ONLY act in there own best interest trying to keep the rest of us out of the know...

:p

Mindy

You are better off working as a comedy writer for network TV.

These gigs can pay extremely well. Especially if your career takes off say like a Jerry Seinfeld.:D

Yaah, stop giving him such foolish advice. You know that only the combined MD/JD/MBA/MPH combination will push him into the 3 million + dermpath range.

Watch out guys/gals about what advice you get on this site. Some people ONLY act in there own best interest trying to keep the rest of us out of the know...

:p

Mindy
Absolutely. Although really people need to work on dialing down the gullibility.
"I read it on the Internet (forums) therefore it must be true!"
Come to think of it, that's what patients are saying when they come in to see doctors.

I have a related, mature querry for yall.

If one is 25 years old and making negative 55 thousand a year as a medical student, is it worth doing a residency to earn more money?

Absolutely. Although really people need to work on dialing down the gullibility.
"I read it on the Internet (forums) therefore it must be true!"
Come to think of it, that's what patients are saying when they come in to see doctors.

The better one is when people see that 99/100 things say one opinion, and 1/100 says the opposite. But people believe the 1/100. And they take it further and say, "many people are saying..." But Americans are conspiratorial underdogs at heart.

They also don't trust fact or evidence, they trust anecdote. Because evidence can be faked or altered, anecdotes (or anecdotal evidence) cannot. Thus the "vaccines cause autism" hysteria, to name one example. And this does extend to internet forums easily: If 10 people post about their experience with a program, and 9 are complimentary but one is decidedly uncomplimentary, more people will pay attention to the negative comment and treat the 9 good ones as biased or untrustworthy (it's a conspiracy!).

The better one is when people see that 99/100 things say one opinion, and 1/100 says the opposite. But people believe the 1/100. And they take it further and say, "many people are saying..." But Americans are conspiratorial underdogs at heart.

They also don't trust fact or evidence, they trust anecdote. Because evidence can be faked or altered, anecdotes (or anecdotal evidence) cannot. Thus the "vaccines cause autism" hysteria, to name one example. And this does extend to internet forums easily: If 10 people post about their experience with a program, and 9 are complimentary but one is decidedly uncomplimentary, more people will pay attention to the negative comment and treat the 9 good ones as biased or untrustworthy (it's a conspiracy!).

Well, I won't be the first to say that evaluating residency programs objectively is not easy. I think when negative (or neutral/close to middle, but neutral is hardly ever a popular position to take: "why can't you commit??") comments are made, they can occasionally be of more value, since the poster is apparently "putting themselves on the line". I get the sense that posters here frequently feel like they will be penalized for saying anything bad about any program, whether their own or others.

I'm not referring to people who badmouth every single program out there. But every program has faults, because it is not easy to get a top-tier pathology residency program together. For the most part, if one fails to see any faults at one's own program, one can't have looked hard enough. Hence if someone always says complimentary things about every program, it diminishes the value of their evaluation.

Part of the problem is that fact and evidence is hard to come by for evaluating residency programs. For instance, it is not easy to get data on what the real most recent pass/fail rate for boards is at any second-tier program, and I know most applicants (if they even ask the question) will accept the usual "oh everyone passes boards here" that programs like to trot out. Which can't be true, because we know the stats on failure rates that the ABP puts out.

The latest on-the-street anecdote I heard: "my uncle is a Prius salesman and he says Pruises are really bad because when you put electricity and gasoline together they could majorly blow up in accidents" :confused: (and this from a soon-to-be grad student!)

I wanted to ask how his sales performance was, but I behaved.