PharmD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VCU07

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently placed on pre interview hold for med school and have yet to hear from any of the other schools. My questions is, does having a PharmD hurt my application? Stats wise I was just as competitive, if not more so,as other applicants (except for my MCAT which was on the lower end). I nearly scored perfect on my national board exam and graduated Magna cum laude from Pharmacy school and cum laude from undergrad with a 3.72. I have years of clinical experience/volunteering, research, publication and another in the works. I understand that my MCAT is one factor bringing down my app, but I take it as BS when schools say we don't just look at numbers which I was told. Anyway, just wanted to get it off my mind.

Members don't see this ad.

curious as to exactly how "low end" was your MCAT? I'd reckon your MCAT score would be more hurtful than your status of PharmD, in my opinion

curious as to exactly how "low end" was your MCAT? I'd reckon your MCAT score would be more hurtful than your status of PharmD, in my opinion

I ended up with a 23N, which is know is low, but considering the schools I applied to its not too far off.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately, that is not competitive.

Yes, I realize that, but my point is does having my PharmD make it worse? Anyway, as a nontrad don't know if I will reapply. Took the test twice 18 first time 23 second time. Not sure how to get it any higher, that was after months and months of studying using diff. strategies and companies.

i don't think you having a pharmD will help your case..

even for a DO school, a 23 is kind of low. sorry.
try taking the MCAT 1 final time, and take the real test when you score above a 30 consistently. Try prep courses and what not and see if that helps.

With months of studying there really is no excuse for a 23 unless you have some kind of disability. Being honest here. Take the MCAT more seriously, your PharmD degree isn't going to help or hurt you really. I've met an anesthesiologist that had a pharmD and she said it was very complementary. But I imagine she did well on her MCAT.

Yes, I realize that, but my point is does having my PharmD make it worse? Anyway, as a nontrad don't know if I will reapply. Took the test twice 18 first time 23 second time. Not sure how to get it any higher, that was after months and months of studying using diff. strategies and companies.

The MCAT is by far your limiting factor. We know that adcoms want a 30+ MCAT. We don't really know how they feel about other degrees; it would be purely speculation. I think at this point, talking about wheter or not that is hurting you is irrelevant.

Check out the MCAT study forum for tips. Were you taking practice tests?

Last edited:
With months of studying there really is no excuse for a 23 unless you have some kind of disability. Being honest here. Take the MCAT more seriously, your PharmD degree isn't going to help or hurt you really. I've met an anesthesiologist that had a pharmD and she said it was very complementary. But I imagine she did well on her MCAT.
sorry, but +1

You guys are harsh, but I wont dispute it. I think a classroom based course would help as it has been 8 yrs since taking the classes covered on the test. I dont want to get to into this but i have mild tourettes and ocd that makes it hard for me to focus. I was able to do it for my board exam, just cant understand why it has been so difficult on the mcat. Thx for the advice

You guys are harsh, but I wont dispute it. I think a classroom based course would help as it has been 8 yrs since taking the classes covered on the test. I dont want to get to into this but i have mild tourettes and ocd that makes it hard for me to focus. I was able to do it for my board exam, just cant understand why it has been so difficult on the mcat. Thx for the advice

For the record, I don't scream obscenities, I just have a motor tics that I control with medication.

I think you should just stay as a pharmacist unless you REALLY want to be a doctor. Too much time already invested in pharmacy, IMO.

Pharmacy ain't a bad gig but I can see why someone would want to change out of the field.

Good luck with whatever you decide though.

Maybe pharmacy is more memorization and less application? I don't know, I'm just making an assumption.

Maybe pharmacy is more memorization and less application? I don't know, I'm just making an assumption.

Unless you can speak from some kind of experience or knowledge, I would abstain from such assumptions.

Well in your case, I recommend getting all the help you can get. Maybe you need to take a class, maybe you need private tutoring, maybe you just need to buckle down. Talk to your doctors, they can offer you some more individualistic advice that may or may not be medicinal. Whatever you need to do, do it. Getting a 23 MCAT and trying to get into medical school is like trying to get a hole in one 500 miles away. Sure there is that slim chance, but don't lie to yourself.

Unless you can speak from some kind of experience or knowledge, I would abstain from such assumptions.

Why? I already state that it is an assumption, although it may very crude. People make assumptions all the time to try to answer questions. I don't see how mine can be offensive.

Besides, pharmacists tell me most of it is memorization anyway.

(BallerMD = DaTruMD) ?

WHOOPS....

lolwut.jpg