-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
WesternU/COMP Class of 2014
Started by Ibn Rushd
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I couldn't find a thread for us, so I thought I'd start it myself.
I'm not 100% set on attending Western next year, but I'm so so grateful to have gotten an acceptance.
Ditto for me. As of right now, I'm hoping that George Washington gets back to me before December 1st. If I'm accepted there, it's going to be a very difficult choice between them and Western.
Still, congrats to all of our potential classmates!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I interviewed on Saturday, 10/24/09. Can anyone give me an estimate of when I will hear back from them? I hope to hear back ASAP because Touro-CA is waiting on my reply. Touro-CA gave me two weeks. Does anyone know if this can be extended another week or are they stringent about the deadline? I am really torn between the two schools. I could stay in norcal (home) or venture off to socal. I think because, from what I understand, the rotations are better in socal, so I am leaning more towards WesternU. Better meaning they are located close to campus and you don't need to travel far off if you don't want to. Any insight on rotations or other things I might want to know?
You will probably hear back the first week of November
KidMedBot, I'd be in a much better position to answer your question in about a week and a half (I interview at TUCOM-CA on 11/9), but I know that's not much help to you.
I think your best bet is to contact current students in each program (you can find them in threads from last year, or in other places throughout the forum), or to contact the schools directly. They can provide you with concrete information about the rotations they have available.
I think your best bet is to contact current students in each program (you can find them in threads from last year, or in other places throughout the forum), or to contact the schools directly. They can provide you with concrete information about the rotations they have available.
Put my deposit in the mail this morning. Final decision made. 🙂
Congrats! It feels good huh 😀
I interviewed on Saturday, 10/24/09. Can anyone give me an estimate of when I will hear back from them? I hope to hear back ASAP because Touro-CA is waiting on my reply. Touro-CA gave me two weeks.
I remember reading somewhere that Western may tell you whether or not you've been accepted if you tell them you have been accepted elsewhere and have a deposit due. I think you need to fax them a copy if your acceptance letter as proof. I'd call to make sure this is correct. Worse case is they say they won't, best case you will find out sooner.
Interviewed 10/15 and........
I'm in! OMG!!! How did this happen?!?! First year applying, first choice school, first interview! Stars must be aligned this evening. I am so excited, confused, nervous, elated, and everything else. I think I need a nap 🙂
Looking forward to meeting all of you in sunny so cal!
I'm in! OMG!!! How did this happen?!?! First year applying, first choice school, first interview! Stars must be aligned this evening. I am so excited, confused, nervous, elated, and everything else. I think I need a nap 🙂
Looking forward to meeting all of you in sunny so cal!
Interviewed 10/15 and........
I'm in! OMG!!! How did this happen?!?! First year applying, first choice school, first interview! Stars must be aligned this evening. I am so excited, confused, nervous, elated, and everything else. I think I need a nap 🙂
Looking forward to meeting all of you in sunny so cal!
Hey you interviewed on the same day that I did. 🙂 Congrats on the acceptance! Enjoy cruising on through for the rest of the year.
Interviewed 10/15 and........
I'm in! OMG!!! How did this happen?!?! First year applying, first choice school, first interview! Stars must be aligned this evening. I am so excited, confused, nervous, elated, and everything else. I think I need a nap 🙂
Looking forward to meeting all of you in sunny so cal!
Congrats!!

Interviewed 10/15 and........
I'm in! OMG!!! How did this happen?!?! First year applying, first choice school, first interview! Stars must be aligned this evening. I am so excited, confused, nervous, elated, and everything else. I think I need a nap 🙂
Looking forward to meeting all of you in sunny so cal!
Congratulations! It sounds like everything worked out perfectly for you.
Yay!! I'm in too! Soo excited. I want it to be summer of 2010 already! Anyone else doing the summer anatomy intensive? Are there activities put on by the school that give prospective students opportunities to meet each other? If not we should plan something! 😛
Yay!! I'm in too! Soo excited. I want it to be summer of 2010 already! Anyone else doing the summer anatomy intensive? Are there activities put on by the school that give prospective students opportunities to meet each other? If not we should plan something! 😛
I was wondering that too. Anyone know what the orientation is like.
Also, join COMP 2014 on Facebook!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are there activities put on by the school that give prospective students opportunities to meet each other? If not we should plan something! 😛
Sounds like a brilliant idea! The Facebook group would be an ideal place to put that together...
Can anyone tell me how Western confirms receipt of our first deposit. I sent my acceptance letter and a ton of money (mostly in dollar bills - jk). It should have gotten there last wed, but still no word.
Hey! 🙂
They sent me a confirmation email. It's probably just taking them a little longer because there are many students to process at this time of year.
Definitely soo excited stilll!! 😉
Hey everyone looking to meet and greet my potential future classmates! I just found out i was accepted last thursday! Western is my first choice so I am coming no matter what. If you are for sure going to western next year drop me a line
Hey everyone looking to meet and greet my potential future classmates! I just found out i was accepted last thursday! Western is my first choice so I am coming no matter what. If you are for sure going to western next year drop me a line
Hey!! I'm going for sure and am so so so excited!! You should add the facebook group (see above)! Looking forward to meeting you all! We are gonna have such an awesome experience!
Hey everyone looking to meet and greet my potential future classmates! I just found out i was accepted last thursday! Western is my first choice so I am coming no matter what. If you are for sure going to western next year drop me a line
Congratulations!!! Feels good, huh? You should be extremely proud of your accomplishments! Welcome to the family 👍
ps - Western does send email confirmation (takes about a week) after they receive your $1k deposit.
Im still waiting for my official letter so I can take care of the deposit. When they told me on the phone i had my credit card out and was ready to go lol. I joined the facebook group see you all on there!
For anyone who put down a deposit already- can you pay by credit card or did you have to send in a check?
For anyone who put down a deposit already- can you pay by credit card or did you have to send in a check?
Pretty much everyone I've spoken with did it by check, and I haven't heard anything about a credit card option (trust me, if there was one, I'd be all over that). You can call and check when their offices reopen, but I wouldn't count on it.
Thanks for the reply! I had called them early this week about it but the offices are closed until the 4th. Guess I'll be sending a check in-
Thanks for the reply! I had called them early this week about it but the offices are closed until the 4th. Guess I'll be sending a check in-
I paid with cc over the phone.
Thanks for the reply! I had called them early this week about it but the offices are closed until the 4th. Guess I'll be sending a check in-
yea, i sent in a check on 12/23 and they still havent cashed it. no one is in the office to answer phone calls (or cash checks apparently) so i've no way of confirming that all my stuff went to/got to the right place. its a little nerve-racking because of the jan 1 deadline, but i think im just being a little paranoid.
Just read the article re the new HEC building and checked out the pics. Wow! I liked the campus at my interview and this new massive structure just makes attending WesternU next fall that much more attractive.
Not sure about the rest of you guys, but I am taking time for myself and not taking classes this semester. Most of the advice I have read re "preparing for med school once accepted" says to take it easy and enjoy our freedom while we have it. I find myself reading a lot - lol, and def have plenty of time to get back to the things I used to love doing. I am really excited to begin school though!
Anyone on here lurking, looking to spark this thread wanna offer any advice on living arrangements?
Not sure about the rest of you guys, but I am taking time for myself and not taking classes this semester. Most of the advice I have read re "preparing for med school once accepted" says to take it easy and enjoy our freedom while we have it. I find myself reading a lot - lol, and def have plenty of time to get back to the things I used to love doing. I am really excited to begin school though!
Anyone on here lurking, looking to spark this thread wanna offer any advice on living arrangements?
Hey, in the pre-osteo forums, someone posted some great pics of the new building (p. 16 - school specific discussions forum).
On another note, is a tablet pc a good choice for WesternU and how would it work with Apreso?
Oh yeah, showing my signature cuz I am soooooooo excited!
On another note, is a tablet pc a good choice for WesternU and how would it work with Apreso?
Oh yeah, showing my signature cuz I am soooooooo excited!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Copied from an email:
Greetings everyone:
Many of you are aware of one way in which the tragic Haiti earthquake hit especially close to our home here at WesternU. Daniel Kloos, who was expected to join our College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific this August as a member of the Class of 2014, was killed in the January 12 earthquake that has so far claimed more than 200,000 lives.
Daniel was visiting his sister, a volunteer at a Haitian orphanage, when the quake struck. His body was found in the rubble some time later; his sister, whose hands and arms were crushed by debris, is out of the hospital and undergoing physical therapy to restore her mobility. She is expected to regain the use of her hands and arms.
I hope you will join me in sending your kind thoughts and prayers to the Kloos family, just as Im certain we all are keeping Haitis people in our thoughts and are doing our best to support the Haitian relief effort, either through our own initiative or by supporting some of the campus fund-raisers that have taken place the past few weeks.
More broadly, though, I believe the massive international humanitarian effort underway to heal Haitis people and help rebuild the country underscores the importance of what we do here at Western University of Health Sciences. Like Daniel Kloos, all of us have one overarching goal: to improve the lives of our fellows. We do this by being excellent in our medical science and research, and by living the founding philosophy of this institution: humanism and compassionate care for all.
As the Haitian earthquake and countless other tragedies worldwide show, the need for medical excellence and humanistic care never ends. Our philosophy and skills never go out of style; indeed, they become more critical with each passing day.
I know that all of you share the sense of social and community responsibility that comes with the careers we have chosen, and can appreciate how serving our fellows is a privilege of the highest order. As we go about our work and our studies each day, I hope you remember that your commitment to the health sciences will yield a lifetime of profound meaning and limitless worth.
As always, I welcome your feedback on this topic and any others as we discuss WesternUs Benchmarks of Value. Please e-mail me with your thoughts at [email protected]. I also invite you to visit the Presidents Blog, which includes all Messages from the President on this topic and has a section where you can offer feedback. The blog can be found at www.westernu.edu/president-blog.
Thanks,
cid:[email protected]
Philip Pumerantz, PhD
President
Western University of Health Sciences
309 E. Second Street
Pomona, CA 91766
ph: 909/469-5200
fax: 909/620-5456
www.westernu.edu
Greetings everyone:
Many of you are aware of one way in which the tragic Haiti earthquake hit especially close to our home here at WesternU. Daniel Kloos, who was expected to join our College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific this August as a member of the Class of 2014, was killed in the January 12 earthquake that has so far claimed more than 200,000 lives.
Daniel was visiting his sister, a volunteer at a Haitian orphanage, when the quake struck. His body was found in the rubble some time later; his sister, whose hands and arms were crushed by debris, is out of the hospital and undergoing physical therapy to restore her mobility. She is expected to regain the use of her hands and arms.
I hope you will join me in sending your kind thoughts and prayers to the Kloos family, just as Im certain we all are keeping Haitis people in our thoughts and are doing our best to support the Haitian relief effort, either through our own initiative or by supporting some of the campus fund-raisers that have taken place the past few weeks.
More broadly, though, I believe the massive international humanitarian effort underway to heal Haitis people and help rebuild the country underscores the importance of what we do here at Western University of Health Sciences. Like Daniel Kloos, all of us have one overarching goal: to improve the lives of our fellows. We do this by being excellent in our medical science and research, and by living the founding philosophy of this institution: humanism and compassionate care for all.
As the Haitian earthquake and countless other tragedies worldwide show, the need for medical excellence and humanistic care never ends. Our philosophy and skills never go out of style; indeed, they become more critical with each passing day.
I know that all of you share the sense of social and community responsibility that comes with the careers we have chosen, and can appreciate how serving our fellows is a privilege of the highest order. As we go about our work and our studies each day, I hope you remember that your commitment to the health sciences will yield a lifetime of profound meaning and limitless worth.
As always, I welcome your feedback on this topic and any others as we discuss WesternUs Benchmarks of Value. Please e-mail me with your thoughts at [email protected]. I also invite you to visit the Presidents Blog, which includes all Messages from the President on this topic and has a section where you can offer feedback. The blog can be found at www.westernu.edu/president-blog.
Thanks,
cid:[email protected]
Philip Pumerantz, PhD
President
Western University of Health Sciences
309 E. Second Street
Pomona, CA 91766
ph: 909/469-5200
fax: 909/620-5456
www.westernu.edu
so, anyone started with the physical and all that jazz that has to be done before matriculation?
I have started the check list, so far I got my background check and medical insurance =) we still have plenty of time
I have to admit....I am a little shocked that no one has said anything about one of your classmates DYING 🙄
Why are you shocked? Did anyone really know this incoming student on a personal level? Had I heard about someone I'd met on the interview trail, and had a chance to make a personal connection, I'm sure it would affect me more deeply than trotting out some superficial 'how tragic' comment for a guy I'd never met, and had yet to invest emotional energy in.
The broader question is how does a non-response from the incoming class affect you, and why do you care so much about it?
The broader question is how does a non-response from the incoming class affect you, and why do you care so much about it?
I dont think its appropriate for us to have a personal discussion about this here....I sent you a PM
Last edited:
I dont think its appropriate for us to have a personal discussion about this here....I sent you a PM
As I think it's inappropriate of you to goad people into responding in a manner you see fit. Good on you for posting that email. Shame on you for chastizing people for not responding the way you think they should.
Whoa! Hold on now... good points stated, but seriously, in the light of such devastating news, there is no room for any negativity here. This is a forum for the class of 2014. We should be celebrating our accomplishments! The individual who is no longer with us will forever be with us. Tkim is right, not many of us knew the deceased, so what can we possibly say... I'm sure that all of our hearts are out there for him and his family. The fact is that the news of his death is posted here... it is sobering and beyond words. I believe the silence (or lack of posting about this issue) is our way of saying our piece. I will pray for him and his family.
I think we need to get this thread back on track and look toward our bright future!
I think we need to get this thread back on track and look toward our bright future!
Question for current/past WesternU students:
If you took ISAC, did you feel like it was a good investment? I've emailed Kuehn awhile back and he said that he has me on the list, but now I'm wondering if I should actually take the course. Is ISAC really worth paying an extra 7 weeks worth of tuition for? I'm not sure what that comes out to be because they said they'd send us the paperwork for it around April... but I'll just guesstimate it to be around 10k or something (correct me if I'm wrong...)? Tuition for this school is already pretty ridiculously high, so I don't really want to add on any unnecessary debt if I don't have to. Do you guys feel that the edge that ISAC provided you or people you know outweighs the financial cost of the program? Just looking for some input before I descide whether or not to actually do it. Thanks!
If you took ISAC, did you feel like it was a good investment? I've emailed Kuehn awhile back and he said that he has me on the list, but now I'm wondering if I should actually take the course. Is ISAC really worth paying an extra 7 weeks worth of tuition for? I'm not sure what that comes out to be because they said they'd send us the paperwork for it around April... but I'll just guesstimate it to be around 10k or something (correct me if I'm wrong...)? Tuition for this school is already pretty ridiculously high, so I don't really want to add on any unnecessary debt if I don't have to. Do you guys feel that the edge that ISAC provided you or people you know outweighs the financial cost of the program? Just looking for some input before I descide whether or not to actually do it. Thanks!
Perhaps this link might be of help:I'm not sure what that comes out to be because they said they'd send us the paperwork for it around April... but I'll just guesstimate it to be around 10k or something (correct me if I'm wrong...)?
http://www.westernu.edu/xp/edu/financial/financial-budgets-osteopathy.xml
I asked this over on the facebook page for our class, but haven't gotten a response yet, so I figured I'd try here too. Does anyone, particularly current students, have any feedback on the SMSPP class? I've heard plenty about ISAC, but hardly anything about SMSPP. I'd apply for ISAC except for the whole never having had human anatomy thing (although I've had no shortage of non-human anatomy classes...that'll teach me to aspire to be a zoologist).
In any event, as someone who hasn't actually had an actual class for several years, SMSPP seems like a really good idea to get back into the groove of taking classes and getting an idea of the pace and demands of the classes in the fall (without it counting towards your grades). So I wonder if anyone has found the class useful and whether it really is good preparation for the fall? I'm also wondering if you're eligible for financial aid if you're enrolled in SMSPP? It sounds pretty time intensive like ISAC (6 hours a day in class, a few hours a night studying). It might be possible to hold down a part-time job, but getting a little extra in aid would be nice (and while we all want to keep loans down, an extra month or two is a drop in the bucket of what we're going to owe after 4 years...but that's another discussion altogether). So any feedback would be appreciated.
In any event, as someone who hasn't actually had an actual class for several years, SMSPP seems like a really good idea to get back into the groove of taking classes and getting an idea of the pace and demands of the classes in the fall (without it counting towards your grades). So I wonder if anyone has found the class useful and whether it really is good preparation for the fall? I'm also wondering if you're eligible for financial aid if you're enrolled in SMSPP? It sounds pretty time intensive like ISAC (6 hours a day in class, a few hours a night studying). It might be possible to hold down a part-time job, but getting a little extra in aid would be nice (and while we all want to keep loans down, an extra month or two is a drop in the bucket of what we're going to owe after 4 years...but that's another discussion altogether). So any feedback would be appreciated.
SMSPP is a waste of time. ISAC is worth it.
When I was there, if you went through ISAC and scored high enough, you would be one of the anatomy TAs, this gave you a lot more time to crush the other classes while other people were getting destroyed by anatomy. If you didn't score high enough, you still had a tremendous head start on anatomy before everyone else. Don't know how it is now, if anatomy is the only subject or you have multiple classes to juggle like I did.
When I was there, if you went through ISAC and scored high enough, you would be one of the anatomy TAs, this gave you a lot more time to crush the other classes while other people were getting destroyed by anatomy. If you didn't score high enough, you still had a tremendous head start on anatomy before everyone else. Don't know how it is now, if anatomy is the only subject or you have multiple classes to juggle like I did.
SMSPP is a waste of time. ISAC is worth it.
When I was there, if you went through ISAC and scored high enough, you would be one of the anatomy TAs, this gave you a lot more time to crush the other classes while other people were getting destroyed by anatomy. If you didn't score high enough, you still had a tremendous head start on anatomy before everyone else. Don't know how it is now, if anatomy is the only subject or you have multiple classes to juggle like I did.
Well like I said, I'd apply for ISAC if I had the anatomy background. Unless they're going to let me substitute my extensive knowledge of, umm, fish and marine mammal anatomy. That's what I get for doing undergrad by the ocean.
As for the multiple classes...from the literature they gave us on interview day it looks like anatomy weeks 1-12 concurrent with the physician and society, osteopathic principles&practice and essentials of clinical medicine. So it looks like the vast majority of your time and effort is directed into anatomy.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know when the application will become avaliable for the national health service scholarship?
Not sure about this - contact them?
On another note re BanWeb. I just received an email at my westernu acct with access instructions for BanWeb. Access was granted after I subimtted my final grades - not sure if this triggered it or if it was a coincidence.
Are there any incoming Muslim guys that are interested in rooming together? I live in the OC right now, but want to move closer to Pomona before classes start. Ideally, I want to share a place with Muslim guys. If there are any out there, please get in touch with me! 🙂
Hey I'm a first year med student at Western. Just wanted to drop in on this thread and say congrats to everyone who's been accepted and plan to attend western. Let me know if you have any questions about the school. I'll try to answer it as best as I can during this spring break, which starts this week!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 437
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 2K