When would you start planning for next application cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ditto1114

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Besides retaking the MCAT after a formal classroom prep course, I'd suggest you keep your hand in with clinical volunteering so you have current volunteering to list next time around. Familiarize yourself with DO schools as well as MD, as your low undergrad GPA will limit you unless you really get a terrific MCAT score next time around (I'm thinking 34, but your state school probably won't need it to be quite that high). Hopefully, your outstanding research background will win you some extra consideration, even during the curent cycle. Update letters after a few months of beefing up your ECs could also help you this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
So... You are obviously from Alabama and applying to UAB and I'm guessing South.

OK. You have 3 options.

1. Continue with the application. I know someone who got into UAB with a 26 MCAT score but he had a lot of shadowing and a higher GPA (3.8 I think) and he is the only one I've heard of getting in with one that low that didnt do the rural program.

2. If your not 100% dedicated to MD schools. There is always the DO schools. Before I retook my mcat in sept. I filled out an ACOMAS application and applied to 4 schools (One in GA, 2 in FL, and one in TN) They are more forgiving about the MCAT (Avg is like a 24) but I think they like a pretty high GPA.

3. Take the MCAT again. It took me 3 times to get the score I wanted. 25P Sept '08, 26M June '09, 29Q Sept '09. As you know the avg is a 30 so a 29 can deff get you in. If you retake, me as well as my friends, recommend Exam Krackers. If you get it make sure you get the 1,001 books and the 101 passages in VR. I also got audio osmosis but I just downloaded the torrent. I think my increase from june to sept was from the 1,001 books and the audio osmosis as I had EK for the june test. I dont think kaplan is very good at preparing one for the MCAT and the class is a rip off. Also the AAMC practice tests are a must. But dont expect your actual MCAT to be as good as the practice tests.

What ever you decide, good luck! :luck:

So... You are obviously from Alabama and applying to UAB and I'm guessing South.

OK. You have 3 options.

1. Continue with the application. I know someone who got into UAB with a 26 MCAT score but he had a lot of shadowing and a higher GPA (3.8 I think) and he is the only one I've heard of getting in with one that low that didnt do the rural program.

2. If your not 100% dedicated to MD schools. There is always the DO schools. Before I retook my mcat in sept. I filled out an ACOMAS application and applied to 4 schools (One in GA, 2 in FL, and one in TN) They are more forgiving about the MCAT (Avg is like a 24) but I think they like a pretty high GPA.

3. Take the MCAT again. It took me 3 times to get the score I wanted. 25P Sept '08, 26M June '09, 29Q Sept '09. As you know the avg is a 30 so a 29 can deff get you in. If you retake, me as well as my friends, recommend Exam Krackers. If you get it make sure you get the 1,001 books and the 101 passages in VR. I also got audio osmosis but I just downloaded the torrent. I think my increase from june to sept was from the 1,001 books and the audio osmosis as I had EK for the june test. I dont think kaplan is very good at preparing one for the MCAT and the class is a rip off. Also the AAMC practice tests are a must. But dont expect your actual MCAT to be as good as the practice tests.

What ever you decide, good luck! :luck:

I would just like to point that a 29 MCAT can get you in with a 3.8 GPA. But, a 3.4 and a 29 MCAY probably will not cut it since both are below the average...

Look very hard at DO because it is your best shot by a long shot with those stats...:)

:( :(

I went to Michigan State for undergrad and they LOVE their DO school there. I filled out the application this year, but just never hit submit... (dumb) Lesson learned. I guess I just don't understand why medical schools are so obsessed with numbers.

:( :(

I went to Michigan State for undergrad and they LOVE their DO school there. I filled out the application this year, but just never hit submit... (dumb) Lesson learned. I guess I just don't understand why medical schools are so obsessed with numbers.

good thing there is always next year!!! :)

I think they should be more concerned with passion and perseverance. The entrance test could consist of a fight to mortal wound with scalpels with full scholarship opportunities if you save your foe. :laugh:

I would just like to point that a 29 MCAT can get you in with a 3.8 GPA. But, a 3.4 and a 29 MCAY probably will not cut it since both are below the average...

Look very hard at DO because it is your best shot by a long shot with those stats...:)

My stats aren't too different than that and I'm not doing terribly....

To the OP, if you want to retake, you should and aim for a 30+. But stats are only a small part of the admission process, they look at the whole picture. Essays, interviews, so on....

Good luck, I wish you the best