Am I M.D./Ph.D. Material?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OblersParadox

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I started reading the threads and suggestions on this forum a few years ago around when I first started college. I have since tried to use them as a guide in the decisions I've made so far seeing as I would really like to get into an M.D./Ph.D. program. I've only got a year and a half left of school, only the next half of which will appear on my med school applications (I think?) since the applications' due dates are next fall for me. That being said, I was just hoping you guys could tell me if I'm on the right track to a top-tier M.D./Ph.D.

I transferred to a large Florida public university from a community college a year and a half ago with a 4.0 GPA. Now that I'm at the university, I've taken up a triple major in Physics (B.S.), Chemistry (B.S.) and an Honors College Research Major (basically a major that makes you do 30 credits and two "super theses" of research) as well as a Math minor. I am also going to graduate from the honors college here. I've taken most of the higher level courses required for chemistry degree and am about two courses away from finishing the physics degree. Since transferring, I've gotten straight A+'s (with the exception of one course that only offered an A). That is, I still have an overall GPA of 4.0 and I am expecting rather high quality letters of recommendation.

I haven't read if M.D./Ph.D. programs put a lot of weight to awards, but I won the Chemistry Student of the Year award two years in a row (once for Organic Chemistry and again for Physical Chemistry). I also recieved a few fairly prestigious scholarships from Phi Theta Kappa while at my community college and was Volunteer of the Month at the hospital I volunteered at.

In addition to volunteering in the Emergency room, I was also on the executive board of directors at that particular hospital's volunteer auxiliary as recording secretary for two terms. I have a lot of other extracurricular activities (vice president of three science organizations, quiz bowl, chess club, ballroom dancing, etc) but I read that med schools don't give a crap, so I won't go into any more detail with that unless requested.

I did volunteer and paid work at a neurological research clinic for over a year while I was at my community college and have over 1300 hours volunteering in an Emergency Room. I also have around 40 hours shadowing a neurosurgeon; neurosurgery and neuroscience being my greatest interests for the M.D. portion.

As for research, besides the aforementioned clinical work, I've been in a physics research lab for a year and a half doing biophysical optics. For that I have built (from scratch) and programmed the software to run a dynamic light scattering device that is capable of measuring the size, molecular weight, and diffusion coefficients of small molecules. The molecule it was built to measure is amyloid proteins that are associated with neurodegenerative disease. So far I have had mostly my own independent project, and I feel I'm very close to putting a paper of some kind out there as first author (not sure if it will be published, but hopeful). I've been told by some that my current research, while great for a physics grad school application is not going to impress M.D./Ph.D. committees as it isn't "translational medicine". That is, that my research doesn't somehow translate into some type of medical use. I don't fully understand that comment since the whole goal of the project is to learn more about the mechanism of Alzheimer's. Do you have any thoughts on this?

Assuming that my biophysics research isn't enough, I'm looking to get into some lab focused more on clinical research at the medical school here since I need to do two theses for my research major anyways. If I do get into one it will most likely be some sort of neuroscience or perhaps cancer research. There is also the possibility that I will get into a summer REU at a far higher ranked college (UC, Harvard, etc), so I might end up doing that instead. What are your suggestions in this instance?

I've recently started getting serious about studying for the MCAT but I have no idea how I'm going to score yet. I'd like to say I'm shooting for the 40s but I really just want to do the best that I can.

Also I was hoping you could confirm or refute what I have come to think are my greatest weaknesses so far:

• Sure I have a 4.0 GPA and plan on keeping it and yes my school is a BIG (as in a lot of people go there) public university, but it isn't even ranked on most lists and the one list that it is ranked on, it gets a 356 or something like that. In addition to that, over half of my courses (mostly lower level) are from a community college. Do the top schools put a lot of weight on this?
  • Also, there is some foreseeable grade issues. That is, I have straight A's in all of my classes from community college and then they jump to straight A+'s on the university level. Will medical school committees most likely say "wow that kid worked really hard to get those grades" or will they assume "If he has straight A+'s on the university level, they must be really easy classes". The latter along with my schools ranking certainly can't be good. I can't really control this aspect of things, but it would be nice to know how they are going to think.
  • What do you guys think about my current research not translating into therapeutic medicine enough. I hope to do my Ph.D. in physics though...so I don't know what to believe. :(
  • Its taking me five years to do all of this instead of the traditional four despite taking more that full time course loads (sometimes even having to request overload permission) every semester and every summer. Will that hurt my competitiveness?

Anyways, sorry for the long post, but I figured I would put myself out there for feedback since I still have time to do more of what I'm doing or some of something different before applying to medical school. Becoming an M.D./Ph.D., especially from a top-notch school is my dream, so I would REALLY appreciate your help!!

Let me know what you guys think! Even if no one responds, I still greatly appreciate all of the guidelines and threads that have been put up on these forums that I have used. Thanks!!!!!!!

P.S. Pay no attention to my M.D. Apps profile, Its over 2 years old and I never really got around to filling it out.

Members don't see this ad.

If only you were also a Nobel Laureate, you might be competitive.

I feel the need to repeat my advice to a previous person who was wondering what they could do to improve themselves. I'm seeing a distinct lack of video games in your history, and I would thus recommend focusing for a little while on getting some experience in that area.

Other than that, you're solid.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't say that I am a Nobel Laureate but I've met a few.

I actually do play video games, but like I said, med schools don't care as much about extracurricular activities :D

Any other suggestions?

Last edited:
Did you read the sticky at the top of the forum?

Here it is.

About your school/grades; the MCAT is the "great equalizer" in some respects. If you get a high score (36+), it will validate that you actually learned stuff while getting that 4.0, and that the courses weren't just fluff.

I'll cave and give you what you want, though: You will most definitely be a serious contender for great MD/PhD programs. Your academic achievements are phenomenal, your research sounds awesome.

One thing I personally place a lot of importance on is being well rounded. You are an academic stud. But I see nothing outside of the bubble of academia/getting into some sort of graduate training. Sure, MD/PhD programs don't care as much about well-rounded applicants as MD programs. Seriously, go out and find something that you love to do, some sort of hobby/activity/sport. I found my passion in triathlons this summer. I feel so much more... alive. It sounds corny as all hell, but I'm meeting people and being pushed out of my comfort zone, after coming out of high school as a full-blown anti-social nerd. And I can talk to people about things other than school.

Thanks for your response. I did read the sticky but I was looking for a analysis more specific to my situation rather than more general suggestions offered in that thread.

The MCAT is still an unknown for me. I've done some practice problems, but most of the ones I've done are physics and chemistry. For all I know the biology portion will kill me since the only classes I've taken that relate to that are the general biology courses and, in the future, biochemistry. I'm hoping I can review and learn everything I need before I take it sometime this summer or the end of this spring.

As for extracurricular activities, I was under the impression that they didn't matter so much in either case, but I still intend on including them in my application. I do have quite a few though. As I mentioned I've recently taken up ballroom dancing and I've been playing piano for 12+ years. I really enjoy quiz bowl and go to their tournaments but that's a "sport" that draws on academic knowledge so...yeah. Perhaps the only other competitive activities that aren't related so much to academia are chess and racquetball. But those are hobbies, I haven't competed much in either subject. I suppose there is always room for improvement there though; thanks for the suggestion!!:cool:

Haha, just wanted to check if you were a normal human beings. Sorry for going a little hard on that response. I've just encountered a bunch of people in college who are so one-sided, whether it be academics, sports, or partying. And it just annoys the crap out of me.

Hello all,

I started reading the threads and suggestions on this forum a few years ago around when I first started college. I have since tried to use them as a guide in the decisions I've made so far seeing as I would really like to get into an M.D./Ph.D. program. I've only got a year and a half left of school, only the next half of which will appear on my med school applications (I think?) since the applications' due dates are next fall for me. That being said, I was just hoping you guys could tell me if I'm on the right track to a top-tier M.D./Ph.D.

I transferred to a large Florida public university from a community college a year and a half ago with a 4.0 GPA. Now that I'm at the university, I've taken up a triple major in Physics (B.S.), Chemistry (B.S.) and an Honors College Research Major (basically a major that makes you do 30 credits and two "super theses" of research) as well as a Math minor. I am also going to graduate from the honors college here. I've taken most of the higher level courses required for chemistry degree and am about two courses away from finishing the physics degree. Since transferring, I've gotten straight A+'s (with the exception of one course that only offered an A). That is, I still have an overall GPA of 4.0 and I am expecting rather high quality letters of recommendation.

I haven't read if M.D./Ph.D. programs put a lot of weight to awards, but I won the Chemistry Student of the Year award two years in a row (once for Organic Chemistry and again for Physical Chemistry). I also recieved a few fairly prestigious scholarships from Phi Theta Kappa while at my community college and was Volunteer of the Month at the hospital I volunteered at.

In addition to volunteering in the Emergency room, I was also on the executive board of directors at that particular hospital's volunteer auxiliary as recording secretary for two terms. I have a lot of other extracurricular activities (vice president of three science organizations, quiz bowl, chess club, ballroom dancing, etc) but I read that med schools don't give a crap, so I won't go into any more detail with that unless requested.

I did volunteer and paid work at a neurological research clinic for over a year while I was at my community college and have over 1300 hours volunteering in an Emergency Room. I also have around 40 hours shadowing a neurosurgeon; neurosurgery and neuroscience being my greatest interests for the M.D. portion.

As for research, besides the aforementioned clinical work, I've been in a physics research lab for a year and a half doing biophysical optics. For that I have built (from scratch) and programmed the software to run a dynamic light scattering device that is capable of measuring the size, molecular weight, and diffusion coefficients of small molecules. The molecule it was built to measure is amyloid proteins that are associated with neurodegenerative disease. So far I have had mostly my own independent project, and I feel I'm very close to putting a paper of some kind out there as first author (not sure if it will be published, but hopeful). I've been told by some that my current research, while great for a physics grad school application is not going to impress M.D./Ph.D. committees as it isn't "translational medicine". That is, that my research doesn't somehow translate into some type of medical use. I don't fully understand that comment since the whole goal of the project is to learn more about the mechanism of Alzheimer's. Do you have any thoughts on this?

Assuming that my biophysics research isn't enough, I'm looking to get into some lab focused more on clinical research at the medical school here since I need to do two theses for my research major anyways. If I do get into one it will most likely be some sort of neuroscience or perhaps cancer research. There is also the possibility that I will get into a summer REU at a far higher ranked college (UC, Harvard, etc), so I might end up doing that instead. What are your suggestions in this instance?

I've recently started getting serious about studying for the MCAT but I have no idea how I'm going to score yet. I'd like to say I'm shooting for the 40s but I really just want to do the best that I can.

Also I was hoping you could confirm or refute what I have come to think are my greatest weaknesses so far:

• Sure I have a 4.0 GPA and plan on keeping it and yes my school is a BIG (as in a lot of people go there) public university, but it isn't even ranked on most lists and the one list that it is ranked on, it gets a 356 or something like that. In addition to that, over half of my courses (mostly lower level) are from a community college. Do the top schools put a lot of weight on this?
  • Also, there is some foreseeable grade issues. That is, I have straight A's in all of my classes from community college and then they jump to straight A+'s on the university level. Will medical school committees most likely say "wow that kid worked really hard to get those grades" or will they assume "If he has straight A+'s on the university level, they must be really easy classes". The latter along with my schools ranking certainly can't be good. I can't really control this aspect of things, but it would be nice to know how they are going to think.
  • What do you guys think about my current research not translating into therapeutic medicine enough. I hope to do my Ph.D. in physics though...so I don't know what to believe. :(
  • Its taking me five years to do all of this instead of the traditional four despite taking more that full time course loads (sometimes even having to request overload permission) every semester and every summer. Will that hurt my competitiveness?

Anyways, sorry for the long post, but I figured I would put myself out there for feedback since I still have time to do more of what I'm doing or some of something different before applying to medical school. Becoming an M.D./Ph.D., especially from a top-notch school is my dream, so I would REALLY appreciate your help!!

Let me know what you guys think! Even if no one responds, I still greatly appreciate all of the guidelines and threads that have been put up on these forums that I have used. Thanks!!!!!!!

P.S. Pay no attention to my M.D. Apps profile, Its over 2 years old and I never really got around to filling it out.

Here are some general rules.

Things that actually matter a ton to get into top 25 MSTP:

1. MCAT >33

2. 2+ years of research experience with evidence of actual thinking and acheivement as evidenced by: abstract/posters < national conferences (not student conferences) < Publication

3. Well written LORs that demonstrate you showed the maturity and cognitive ability of a 1st year graduate student, and that you would be an ideal MD/PhD candidate

4. Evidence that you provide (ECs, Personal Statement, Interview) that you know what MD/PhD training is intended for, that you are mature and dedicated enough to complete it, and that you are interested in pursuing the type of career MD/PhD programs were created to produce

5. If you are minority status or disadvantaged applicant

6. Maturity/likability during interview

Things that every good applicant has and is only used to screen OUT if they dont have:
1. GPA (about 3.7)
2. Extra-curricular inolvment (just that generally you have done something besides study and be in a lab)
3. maybe Shadowing depending on how clinically interested the program director is at that school

Things that absolutely no one cares about:
1. You did an honors track anything
2. Your minors
3. Your major as long as it was generally related to bioscience, engineering, chemistry, physics (if it wasn't, it will make for good interview convo provided you are solid in other areas)
4. School you went to for undergrad (I suppose it can help you in a subconscious kind of way, but it wouldn't hurt you)
5. club president
6. any award other than Goldwater, Marshall, etc
7. How long it took you to graduate, provided its under 6years
8. you did a thesis
9. you did study abroad
10. you brought me a copy of your abstract to the interview (this one always makes me LOL, seriously guys no one cares that much about your research even though we pretend)
11. What your research field was in undergrad
--> obviously you have to put these things on your AMCAS bc everyone has them, but its just filler don't kid yourself. However, you do not have to bring me a copy of your abstracts LOL.

A few special "rules":
- super high MCAT 38+ and you are a good interviewer makes up for most things except research experience and good LORs
- super low MCAT (<29) rules you out at a lot of places even if you are average or slightly above average in everything else
- low GPA (<3.5) is a red flag, but can be overcome more easily than MCAT
- maybe one person will read your general PS in the entire application cycle
- why MD/PhD statement is most important part of AMCAS
- an LOR from a PI that the director knows personally > LOR from someone the director knows of > random PI

Here are some general rules.

Things that actually matter a ton to get into top 25 MSTP:

1. MCAT >33

2. 2+ years of research experience with evidence of actual thinking and acheivement as evidenced by: abstract/posters < national conferences (not student conferences) < Publication

3. Well written LORs that demonstrate you showed the maturity and cognitive ability of a 1st year graduate student, and that you would be an ideal MD/PhD candidate

4. Evidence that you provide (ECs, Personal Statement, Interview) that you know what MD/PhD training is intended for, that you are mature and dedicated enough to complete it, and that you are interested in pursuing the type of career MD/PhD programs were created to produce

5. If you are minority status or disadvantaged applicant

6. Maturity/likability during interview

Things that every good applicant has and is only used to screen OUT if they dont have:
1. GPA (about 3.7)
2. Extra-curricular inolvment (just that generally you have done something besides study and be in a lab)
3. maybe Shadowing depending on how clinically interested the program director is at that school

Things that absolutely no one cares about:
1. You did an honors track anything
2. Your minors
3. Your major as long as it was generally related to bioscience, engineering, chemistry, physics (if it wasn't, it will make for good interview convo provided you are solid in other areas)
4. School you went to for undergrad (I suppose it can help you in a subconscious kind of way, but it wouldn't hurt you)
5. club president
6. any award other than Goldwater, Marshall, etc
7. How long it took you to graduate, provided its under 6years
8. you did a thesis
9. you did study abroad
10. you brought me a copy of your abstract to the interview (this one always makes me LOL, seriously guys no one cares that much about your research even though we pretend)
11. What your research field was in undergrad
--> obviously you have to put these things on your AMCAS bc everyone has them, but its just filler don't kid yourself. However, you do not have to bring me a copy of your abstracts LOL.

A few special "rules":
- super high MCAT 38+ and you are a good interviewer makes up for most things except research experience and good LORs
- super low MCAT (<29) rules you out at a lot of places even if you are average or slightly above average in everything else
- low GPA (<3.5) is a red flag, but can be overcome more easily than MCAT
- maybe one person will read your general PS in the entire application cycle
- why MD/PhD statement is most important part of AMCAS
- an LOR from a PI that the director knows personally > LOR from someone the director knows of > random PI

Thanks, you've put my mind at ease with respect to who cares about how long it took me to graduate and whether or not the school I went to mattered. Though I was under the impression that a person who has similar stats yet went to Princeton, for example, would be given the advantage over someone that went to a no name school. I'm also glad no one cares about being a club president as I turned that down the only time I was elected and have since wondered if I should regret it.:rolleyes:

Based on your list my only weakness could be the MCAT and the fact that I'm not a minority or disadvantaged applicant. That and I don't think I can get any LORs from research advisor's who either know the director personally or that the director knows of; one of the problems with going to a third-tier school I suppose.

So you are saying that my research field doesnt matter as much as I had previously thought? So just because I haven't done a terrible amount of research that has "therapeutic" implications doesn't make a difference?

Thanks, you've put my mind at ease with respect to who cares about how long it took me to graduate and whether or not the school I went to mattered. Though I was under the impression that a person who has similar stats yet went to Princeton, for example, would be given the advantage over someone that went to a no name school. I'm also glad no one cares about being a club president as I turned that down the only time I was elected and have since wondered if I should regret it.:rolleyes:

Based on your list my only weakness could be the MCAT and the fact that I'm not a minority or disadvantaged applicant. That and I don't think I can get any LORs from research advisor's who either know the director personally or that the director knows of; one of the problems with going to a third-tier school I suppose.

So you are saying that my research field doesnt matter as much as I had previously thought? So just because I haven't done a terrible amount of research that has "therapeutic" implications doesn't make a difference?

No there are engineers (not biomedical) and people who worked on plant genetics in my program.