4th try

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Master Pain

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To the folks who are in my boat:

applied 4 years
took DAT 3 times
had multiple interviews over the years
waitlisted a few times
had mad rejections
lifetime dreams felt pretty crushed
spent life savings on post-bacc and Bio Master's program

Finally in:D

Be encouraged and don't give up on your dreams - never back down.

Members don't see this ad.

AWESOME!!!! Congrats! Took me 3 cycles and 2 DAT attempts. You are going to do great! Where did you get in?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! Where did you do the post bacc and Bio masters?

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btPJPFnesV4[/YOUTUBE]

Master Pain,
All the pain and hard work has paid off for you and all of has made you stronger. And all of it will make every moment of the dental school you are going to much sweeter!! A big congratulations to you!!! You deserve it.

drama.jpg
VICTORY.jpg

congrats buddy...what were your stats btw?

If i remember it correctly, u wanted to go to VCU.
did u get into VCU?

applied 4 years
took DAT 3 times
waitlisted a few times
had mad rejections

Simply Splendid !!!

Congrats !!!!

applied 4 years
took DAT 3 times
waitlisted a few times
had mad rejections

Do the priceless thing. like the visa card ad.:smuggrin::smuggrin:

applied 4 years
took DAT 3 times
waitlisted a few times
had mad rejections

I love stories like this.

If you don't mind, can you tell us your overall numbers, and each score on each DAT attempt

Just wanted to throw in my two cents too!! Congrats!! It, too, took me 4 years to get in....after multiple interviews and tons of money spent and time passed. PERSISTANCE people!! Especially when it comes to reaching your goals. Do not let anyone tell you no!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations, that is very uplifting for us who have sub-par grades. Could you please opine what your stats were? What was your cumulative GPA, science GPA, and DAT scores? Also, where did you get accepted to?

what a trooper. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

you just proved all them rejections wrong. :laugh:

you all are great. luv the pics/video. Ok some of you wanted stats:

Male, 33 yrs old, cauc., from VA Beach, happily married, 2 wonderful boys, volunteer work, outdoor stuff and teaching myself guitar (just started). DAT 3X : 17 AA, 18AA, 17AA. Did fair to good (ranged 18 - 21) in most sections but the math TOASTED me. I could do the math, just not fast enough.

I am a dental hygienist (graduated 02 from Old Dominion U in VA) and did my post bacc and Bio MS work at ODU. undergrad gpa total (from community college and ODU) was 3.6. ODU alone was 3.9. I have 11 credits to finish MS and Grad GPA is 3.8. Bio MS focused on physiology and immunology.

I worked full time and did post bacc part time (do not recommend that path to anyone). THEN I worked full time and did grad program full time (much better idea to do school full time - dds schools are really interested in full-time coursework and do not really seem care about my job as much).
I got into a program called D.5 at Virginia Commonwealth U. About 10 folks get into this program each year at VCU. Students in D.5 take 1/2 of the 1st year classes in year one, and then the other 1/2 in year two. Then it's full time there on out. As long as students maintain a 'B' or above in the first two semesters they will move on (granted the student is not a complete nut). So I'm in, but it is contingent on doing well in the fall and spring semesters.

I am so thankful and can't wait to get started!
Dan

congrats! im a 4th timer too. 1st 3 years i had no interviews and this round i had 7. its not about the persistence (anybody can click 'submit') - its about the drive to improve your application. hard work definitely pays off

applied 4 years
took DAT 3 times
waitlisted a few times
had mad rejections

I was in the same boat as you. It took me 3 attempts and I finally got accepted on my third try. I heard back today from VCU, and also got into the D.5 class.
To those who are still waiting and applying, keep your chip up and NEVER give up!

congrats! im a 4th timer too. 1st 3 years i had no interviews and this round i had 7. its not about the persistence (anybody can click 'submit') - its about the drive to improve your application. hard work definitely pays off
agreed. Improving that application and raising your own academic standard is what they told me they liked to see

I was in the same boat as you. It took me 3 attempts and I finally got accepted on my third try. I heard back today from VCU, and also got into the D.5 class.
To those who are still waiting and applying, keep your chip up and NEVER give up!

Great! Are you taking them up on the D.5 offer or did you get in elsewhere?

I am accepting it! VCU is the only school I want to go to and I am looking forward to starting soon!

I am accepting it! VCU is the only school I want to go to and I am looking forward to starting soon!
when did you interview? I was in mid January (15th if I recall correctly)

Jan 26!!! I know, this has been such a looong road. 3 YEARS!!!
P.S. I'M not a guy. :)

My significant other is currently a D2 at VCU, although having him there has not really made it any easier as far as admission goes. It has been tough, and I am glad that the waiting game is over. I am ready to take on the challenges!!!

My significant other is currently a D2 at VCU, although having him there has not really made it any easier as far as admission goes. It has been tough, and I am glad that the waiting game is over. I am ready to take on the challenges!!!
you're funny (not a guy comment). Having him already in the program already...that is outstanding. I believe you will have a great advantage with knowing what to expect and so on. My wife and I went through the hygiene program together; the best thing about it was that we were always on the same page with regard to time management. Congrats again and I look forward to meeting you both!
Dan

Yes, very true! He is already giving me advise on different things, and what to focus on to do well. It is going to be great! I look forward to meeting everyone as well. My name is Vicky by the way.

td4azklz- Congrats on getting in!!!! I remember you from my interview day. I think two or three others from our interview day also got it. Congrats again!

td4azklz- Congrats on getting in!!!! I remember you from my interview day. I think two or three others from our interview day also got it. Congrats again!

Thank you and Congratulations to you as well!! If you don't mind my asking, did you get into the D1 or D.5 class?

I got into the D1 class. I can't wait to see you when school starts in July!

Me either. Congratulations again to you!!! That is wonderful. See you soon.

inspirational! Some of you people are amazing, all that you've done and accomplished to get to where you are.

Wow, sounds like a VERY similar story to mine.

4th cycle was the charm...first 3 cycles no interviews (over 60 rejections overall)....4th cycle i had 3 interviews (waitlisted at Indiana, no decision yet from UNLV and ACCEPTED TO MICHIGAN!!!)

DAT 2x (19,19,20) (19,20,20)
Undergrad GPA: 2.8
Post bac GPA: 4.0
MS biology GPA: 4.0 (finished coursework but will not have time to finish research/thesis)

Its been a CRAZY, LONG and FRUSTRATING road but its all worth it now!! =)

4th cycle was the charm...first 3 cycles no interviews (over 60 rejections overall)....4th cycle i had 3 interviews (waitlisted at Indiana, no decision yet from UNLV and ACCEPTED TO MICHIGAN!!!)

MS biology GPA: 4.0 (finished coursework but will not have time to finish research/thesis)

truly a great ending to a ton of hard work ac. I'm so happy to share in your joy!

Yes, very true! He is already giving me advise on different things, and what to focus on to do well. It is going to be great! I look forward to meeting everyone as well. My name is Vicky by the way.
Can't wait to meet you and the rest of the crew Vicky - see you soon!
Dan

applied 4 years
took DAT 3 times
waitlisted a few times
had mad rejections

Congrats! You will be an inspiration to a lot of people.:thumbup:

Amazing story. Thank you for sharing!

Congratulation!! Awesome Job.. If you don't mind can you share your personal statement?? I'm reapplying this cycle and I'd like to get an idea how did you express yourself on new P.S. I'd Appreciate it. Thanks.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: