2013 Skype MCAT Course & Review + Support Group: How to Join

Started by DNA
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DNA

Eschew obfuscation
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Good evening SDNers,

I am organizing a FREE MCAT review course and study group through Skype this Summer (June 1 through July 1). I intend on covering all science topics on the MCAT. If you are interested, simply create a Skype account and add the Skype User: DoctaDNA, or simply message me with your Skype ID.

If you have any feedback, questions, or suggestions, feel free to post them below.

Thank you!!
 
Last edited:
I'd like to add that this is a great form of motivation, especially for those taking tests on the same day. From experience, I find that when you work collectively with a group of people it motivates you to work harder and do better. This is a great outlet to ask and answer questions and more importantly to learn. Worst case scenario, you can leave at anytime if you find that it's not conducive to your study regimen.
 
A few basic questions since the OP is a bit sparse on info:

What will be the format of this review? How will sessions be scheduled?
Great question! Right now, I'm trying to get feedback from group members to see what works for most, if not everyone. Ideally, I'd like to have a rotating daily schedule between Physical and Biological Sciences. I don't want to drag review sessions too long, but at the same time, I need to be able to fit everything within a 30-day period -- that's my goal. I'm thinking 2-hour review sessions per day will help me achieve that. A detailed schedule and outline should be available within a week, once I gain more input and feedback from everyone participating in the session.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have nothing to say other than props to OP. Many people aren't fortunate enough to afford prep classes, yet are significantly audio learners. That's awesome that you're donating your time to help.

Just curious, but how did you do on your MCAT, OP? You don't have to give actual score, percentile or ballpark is good enough.
 
Great question! Right now, I'm trying to get feedback from group members to see what works for most, if not everyone. Ideally, I'd like to have a rotating daily schedule between Physical and Biological Sciences. I don't want to drag review sessions too long, but at the same time, I need to be able to fit everything within a 30-day period -- that's my goal. I'm thinking 2-hour review sessions per day will help me achieve that. A detailed schedule and outline should be available within a week, once I gain more input and feedback from everyone participating in the session.

Do you plan to incorporate problems (either discretes or passages) in the review sessions? From what source(s) will you be drawing your content?
 
Do you plan to incorporate problems (either discretes or passages) in the review sessions? From what source(s) will you be drawing your content?
Yes, I think showing examples are an extremely important part of the learning process. Anytime I discuss a topic, I'll be sure to stop and go through a few examples to reinforce that topic. Of course, I'll stop to read any questions others may have asked during the review and clarify anything that may have been unclear or poorly explained.

At the moment, I have a wide variety of testing materials (TPR, TBR, Nova, Kaplan, etc.). During the review session, I won't really focus on any one prep company, but instead try to use them all collectively as an outline, while sharing some tips that I think are most useful for test takers. It's very likely I'll end up using examples from these various prep companies as well, but I may restructure the questions to avoid the backlash of outright plagiarism.

I will admit I am a bit inexperienced when it comes to organizing something like this, but I have tutored many students in the past and I suppose the benefit in that is that I'm able to recognize topics people have most trouble with.

@Mehd School - I don't want to disclose how I did on the MCAT at the moment, but I will say that I'm very satisfied with how I performed on the sciences (upper percentile). Unfortunately however, I'll still be retaking the exam later this year because the verbal section hindered my overall score.
 
Awesome, groups slowly beginning to grow now 🙂. I look forward to speaking with some of you. It's still not too late to join. Review sessions begin on June 1, although I might do a mock session before hand to acquaint myself to the whole thing.

Thanks for the positive support everyone 🙂 I hope this benefits you guys.
 
Why not record all the sessions?
Great suggestion. I've considered that and actually debated whether or not I wanted to record sessions before hand, which to be honest, I'm still debating even now. I do think there is some benefit in having an interactive group session though, because it allows people to ask questions which in-turn allows me to provide clarity. I think this is an important part of the learning process. I could go on and on about a topic, but ultimately, it's being able to engage with students by answering questions and trying to figure out what they're struggling with, that helps me teach a topic most effectively. In this way, I can emphasize a particular topic or provide additional examples to reinforce the lesson. I think this approach is more beneficial for students than simply posting videos on the web and asking questions later.
 
Great suggestion. I've considered that and actually debated whether or not I wanted to record sessions before hand, which to be honest, I'm still debating even now. I do think there is some benefit in having an interactive group session though, because it allows people to ask questions which in-turn allows me to provide clarity. I think this is an important part of the learning process. I could go on and on about a topic, but ultimately, it's being able to engage with students by answering questions and trying to figure out what they're struggling with, that helps me teach a topic most effectively. In this way, I can emphasize a particular topic or provide additional examples to reinforce the lesson. I think this approach is more beneficial for students than simply posting videos on the web and asking questions later.

That's exactly what I mean actually, record the interactive sessions so others can play them back and not only see what you covered but see what people asked and how you responded.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm happy to announce that Jepstein30 has agreed to co-assist me in this review session. Some of you might know him from the Q&A Forum. He provides insightful explanations to various MCAT related questions and did exceptionally well on the MCAT.

For those of you interested in joining the review session, feel free to add me on skype: "DoctaDNA" It doesn't take long to create a username. No camera or microphone is required. It's entirely free. You are welcome to test it out. Review sessions begin on June 1. Schedule is TBD. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact me via PM or post your questions on here.
 
Hey guys. I apologize about my inactivity these past two days. My roommate was severely injured in a motor accident this weekend and has been hospitalized since. I haven't really had a chance to jump on SDN.

For those of you who are part taking in this group, please check the Skype discussion. I have a few important questions regarding the structure of the schedule. Your feedback is very important. Thank you.
 
Surprised there isn't more interest in something that is FREE 😛

I'm sure everyone's looking at it. A lot of SDNers are cautious and don't really post all too much. The may send you a PM or just lurk and see what people think about your lessons first before tuning in. I think this activity has the potential to help you out and will be very rewarding. I have nothing but praise for you even if this turns out to not be as amazing as you envisioned it. Organizing such a task is no easy feat!

You should pre-record some MCAT tips as well. That might be a good idea.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey DNA

I appreciate you doing this

Just a quick question. Would you happen to have a syllabus as to what you plan on going over everyday? Also have you figured out what times you plan on running this?

I'm about to request you, although I can't confirm if I'm going to make it consistently.
 
Hey everyone..

DNA seems to be really busy with real-life stuff that needs to be taken care of. There's a rather large skype group already set up and ready to get started.

I've talked to DNA a little bit about the format of the group. Most everyone agreed on meeting M-W-F at 8 pm eastern time.

I'm not sure as to the exact syllabus/schedule, we'll most likely follow something very similar to the official AAMC topic list, perhaps rotating subjects each day.

In conjunction to those review sessions, I'm also willing/able to host 2-3 hour "study hall" sessions weekly on Saturday mornings. Basically, I'll have a call up on Skype that you can join and ask any questions you have.. between myself and the other people there, we'll do our best to help you out live. This would also be the place to ask myself/others about verbal help since we won't be covering that during the weeknight review sessions.

I'll let DNA jump on and confirm all this when he's able to but wanted to give everyone here an update.
 
if its okay..can we have a vote on whether we can do the "study hall" sessions on a sunday? ( if it is totally convenient that is..i only ask since i work on Saturday mornings). Either way, thanks a lot for those putting the effort and time..appreciate it thanks!
 
if its okay..can we have a vote on whether we can do the "study hall" sessions on a sunday? ( if it is totally convenient that is..i only ask since i work on Saturday mornings). Either way, thanks a lot for those putting the effort and time..appreciate it thanks!

Not sure I'll be available every Sunday.. but I'll definitely be available every Saturday.

Could also possibly do late night Friday. I'll get back to everyone regarding my schedule.

Also, guys.. don't worry about not being in the skype group yet. DNA will add everyone who requested when he returns online.
 
Hello, when will be there first study review session? Is it tomorrow? and what time? I am perfectly fine with Saturday morning, but what time based on EST?

P.S thank you very much for giving such an amazing opportunity and help for the contents review. This would certainly save time for more practice questions 🙂.
 
Hello, when will be there first study review session? Is it tomorrow? and what time? I am perfectly fine with Saturday morning, but what time based on EST?

P.S thank you very much for giving such an amazing opportunity and help for the contents review. This would certainly save time for more practice questions 🙂.

No, let's wait until next week to start for the review sessions. Ideally, I'd like to keep it focused on the topics covered that week but it will be open to anything anyone asked.

Let's shoot for 10 am Saturdays? Eastern time..
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is there a way to talk to the other participants in the group for moral support? Thanks in advance!

I requested DoctaDNA and I know he is very busy and haven't been added yet but I will like to talk to everyone who is in the group!