Going to US or Canadian school for undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shyoon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello

I am an Asian Canadian citizen, 23 year old.
My educational background is Bachelor of Science - Civil Engineering from University of Waterloo (it is in Canada). My gpa is 71 %, which is about 2.7 / 4.0 in Canadian standard. I had 20 months of work experinces related to engineering (it was a part of my school program).

I'm planning to take some science courses to meet required prerequisites of dental schools, and to boost my GPA. If my gpa is still not good enough after taking science courses, I want to do either MBA, or undergrad in science. Because of my GPA, I think I should apply to dental schools in US.

But I'm struggling in deciding which school to attend to take science courses. From my knowledge, I believe schools in US is easier than Canadian school (pls don't take this the wrong way,get offended,or start a war) Please let me know if you know the difference between US and Canadian undergrad. I would really appreciate your insight.

Right now, I'm debating if I should attend Universirty of Western Ontario or some school in US to take prerequisite science courses.
If I do attend school in US, which school would you recommend to me ? (I would like to attend school that I'm most likely to earn high GPA. I'm not trying to be a slacker, but from my personal experince, the admission process is really just a number game, at least in Canada.)

Do you recommend that I take DAT before or after I'm done with the science courses ?

BTW: Do you know if dental schools in US look into course load ? I took 5 to 7 courses per semester from the 1st year to the very end)

Thank you for your attention.

Members don't see this ad.

OP, do you even shadow?

in Canada, we don't have job shadowing. But I'm looking for one. It is bit odd to ask people around in Canada. I would like to hear more of job shadowing if you have any advice, such as what to expect, and how long should it be.

Members don't see this ad :)
OP, would you invest in a used Ferrari without test driving it?

in Canada, we don't have job shadowing. But I'm looking for one. It is bit odd to ask people around in Canada. I would like to hear more of job shadowing if you have any advice, such as what to expect, and how long should it be.

If your university has a dental clinic, try shadowing the dents there. I know how hard it is to find a dentist to shadow in Canada. Most places LOL at you when you ask them.

That is a very silly excuse. If you look into several dental offices and explain your situation, I am sure dentists are willing to allow you for shadowing experiences. I am a Canadian applicant myself and if you ask around enough there are surely dentists who are well knowledgeable about American Dental School system and actually know what job shadowing is. Also, we do have job shadowing in Canada too.

The bottom line is, make several phone calls today and ask if you can shadow dentists in your local area. Shadow a couple and come back if you still like dentistry.

We most definitely DO have job shadowing. I did all of mine in Canada.

There might be a possibility that the OP may reside in provinces/territories like Nunavut, YT, NL, or etc.; then this is understandable. Then again, OP's has claimed status as "Fellow."

Wait how did OP's question turn into an attack on his/her shadowing experience? If he/she wanted y'all's advice and/or criticism about that he/she would have asked for it. This is a question about coursework, no?

As for the original question, I think that if you want to go to dental school in the US it might help you a bit to do your prerequisite coursework here, although not necessary, and I'm honestly just saying that on intuition and without any concrete evidence to back that up. I have no idea which school though, take your pick. People from all kinds of different schools get in each year.

Wait how did OP's question turn into an attack on his/her shadowing experience? If he/she wanted y'all's advice and/or criticism about that he/she would have asked for it. This is a question about coursework, no?

As for the original question, I think that if you want to go to dental school in the US it might help you a bit to do your prerequisite coursework here, although not necessary, and I'm honestly just saying that on intuition and without any concrete evidence to back that up. I have no idea which school though, take your pick. People from all kinds of different schools get in each year.
What attack?:confused::confused::confused:

Alright then, this is under the assumption that you possess only Canuck citizenship.
Hello

I am an Asian Canadian citizen, 23 year old.
My educational background is Bachelor of Science - Civil Engineering from University of Waterloo (it is in Canada). My gpa is 71 %, which is about 2.7 / 4.0 in Canadian standard. I had 20 months of work experinces related to engineering (it was a part of my school program).
You need to complete the pre-requisite courses either at a Canuck uni or at an American college. The latter is very, very expensive as a year can over-cover an entire time spent at a Canuck uni with possibly some poutine change to spare.
I'm planning to take some science courses to meet required prerequisites of dental schools, and to boost my GPA. If my gpa is still not good enough after taking science courses, I want to do either MBA, or undergrad in science. Because of my GPA, I think I should apply to dental schools in US.
You will have to complete the prerequisites courses outline by the ds(s) of interest and demonstrate a strong understanding of the relevant sciences. You will need to attain letters of references for American ds's, attain shadowing hours from dentist(s) of your pickings, and demonstrate well-roundedness. Remember: profession first, then personal interests. Your family in and of itself does not provide flowing drinking water without a faucet.
But I'm struggling in deciding which school to attend to take science courses. From my knowledge, I believe schools in US is easier than Canadian school (pls don't take this the wrong way,get offended,or start a war) Please let me know if you know the difference between US and Canadian undergrad. I would really appreciate your insight.
I am not offended as it is my inherent duty to inform the "less informed;" unlike many others. Most of the 'Merican ds's use a measuring tape over a measuring stick, so depending on your preferences, we can all argue on both sides. You have to be a U.S. citizen/U.S. permanent resident in order to have privileged access to U.S. Federal Loans. If you do not have access to a U.S. endorser(s), forget about U.S. private loans; they're fed up with taking chances. Your government can only do you so much; interest starts accruing after graduation, correct? In the Canuck banking system, funding a fellow Canuck to a U.S. ds requires that you put your family name and/or possession(s) down as collateral, correct? And that is why I ask: OP, do you even shadow? Think about that.
Right now, I'm debating if I should attend Universirty of Western Ontario or some school in US to take prerequisite science courses.
If I do attend school in US, which school would you recommend to me ? (I would like to attend school that I'm most likely to earn high GPA. I'm not trying to be a slacker:confused:, but from my personal experince, the admission process is really just a number game, at least in Canada.)
See above.
Do you recommend that I take DAT before or after I'm done with the science courses ?

BTW: Do you know if dental schools in US look into course load ? I took 5 to 7 courses per semester from the 1st year to the very end)

Thank you for your attention.
DAT? whenever you feel ready. Course load? With a resounding yes, especially with your current academic credentials.

In the end, take your pick.

Your welcome.:p

Good luck.:)

Last edited:

Just being a friendly neighbor, that is all.

OP, do you even shadow?

Do-You-Even-Lift-.png

Koala i feel like you might have a nice slogan/ niche t-shirt design on your hands.....

>100 hours is being safer.

Last edited:
I'm a Canadian, who just graduated from Penn Dental. Now I'm in residency.

2.7/4.0 GPA is very low, even for American dental schools. Yes I feel that american dental schools, compared to canadian dental schools, accept a lower GPA. I think this is in part because the grading system in the USA for college courses (undergrad) is harder. In Canada, it seemed A's were ubiquitous. I had something like a 3.94 GPA at my Canadian institution, I will admit that we got a lot of easy A's. Maybe a school like Univ of Toronto general science, you wouldn't be seeing many A's, but that's your fault for going to Univ of Toronto - you should know what you're getting yourself into. Some dental schools inflate their GPAs too ;) . Regardless, this is why they have the DAT/MCAT/etc.

It doesn't matter where you do your dental school pre-reqs. Canada or USA no one cares. So long as you have the courses. Once again, your GPA is low, so maybe you want to consider a post-bacc (going back to university for a 5th or 6 year to increase your grades). It may seem like taking a step back, but it is probably a better bet than doing a masters program. Take the DAT after you've done all your science courses... but also make sure you have 1-2 months to study for the DAT. The time immediately before the DAT is the most important time to study. The science courses that preceeded will truly help you do well on the DAT. Yes, this may mean you will have to apply to an application cycle 1 year later than you initially planned on it.
I took the USA DAT in august (after about 4-5 weeks of studying), and then began my 4th year of dental school in september. In november, I took the Canadian DAT, thinking that the USA DAT would be a good practice. I ended up doing well on both (24 AA and 22AA respectively), and I'd recommend others do the same. Studying while taking a full courseload of undergrad courses is hard!!!

The easiest way to shadow is to find someone you know who has a dentist who is a friend. My sister had a friend who was a dentist, so it was an easy shoe in. I also shadowed my family's dentist - this worked well also. Otherwise, I'm sorry, but you're right - it is difficult, and I feel for you. But it's a must. Almost all USA schools require you to do 50 hours of shadowing before you apply. It'd also be a good idea to get a reference letter from said dentist.

Good luck!

2.7/4.0 GPA is very low, even for American dental schools. Yes I feel that american dental schools, compared to canadian dental schools, accept a lower GPA. I think this is in part because the grading system in the USA for college courses (undergrad) is harder. In Canada, it seemed A's were ubiquitous. I had something like a 3.94 GPA at my Canadian institution, I will admit that we got a lot of easy A's. Maybe a school like Univ of Toronto general science, you wouldn't be seeing many A's, but that's your fault for going to Univ of Toronto - you should know what you're getting yourself into. Some dental schools inflate their GPAs too ;) . Regardless, this is why they have the DAT/MCAT/etc.

It doesn't matter where you do your dental school pre-reqs. Canada or USA no one cares. So long as you have the courses. Once again, your GPA is low, so maybe you want to consider a post-bacc (going back to university for a 5th or 6 year to increase your grades). It may seem like taking a step back, but it is probably a better bet than doing a masters program. Take the DAT after you've done all your science courses... but also make sure you have 1-2 months to study for the DAT. The time immediately before the DAT is the most important time to study. The science courses that preceeded will truly help you do well on the DAT. Yes, this may mean you will have to apply to an application cycle 1 year later than you initially planned on it.
I took the USA DAT in august (after about 4-5 weeks of studying), and then began my 4th year of dental school in september. In november, I took the Canadian DAT, thinking that the USA DAT would be a good practice. I ended up doing well on both (24 AA and 22AA respectively), and I'd recommend others do the same. Studying while taking a full courseload of undergrad courses is hard!!!

The easiest way to shadow is to find someone you know who has a dentist who is a friend. My sister had a friend who was a dentist, so it was an easy shoe in. I also shadowed my family's dentist - this worked well also. Otherwise, I'm sorry, but you're right - it is difficult, and I feel for you. But it's a must. Almost all USA schools require you to do 50 hours of shadowing before you apply. It'd also be a good idea to get a reference letter from said dentist.

Good luck!
Yes indeed.;) Congrats!:thumbup: OMFS?:love:

Good luck!

I can only speak for U of Toronto because I went there. But you're right on the money. If you want the best chances to go anywhere after undergrad, steer clear of U of Toronto lol

21.gif

facepalm....

is it logical to take DAT after you take the "required courses", which cover subjects that will be on the DAT, or take the DAT before?...

facepalm....

is it logical to take DAT after you take the "required courses", which cover subjects that will be on the DAT, or take the DAT before?...

Pretty much all the concepts tested on DAT are from the first year introductory courses or maybe some from your second year courses. No advanced concepts in biology or chemistry are tested . I think the best way is to start preparing DAT after your second year where you have acquired sufficient background for the DAT. You might be missing some info. if you have not taken courses in virology,etc. But these can be overcome by studying the DAT book.