Switching from rads to anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anesthesiarad

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

As the thread title suggests I'm wanting to switch from Radiology (currently pgy-1) into anesthesia with an ideal start date of 2014 as a first year gas resident. I just wanted to post here to ask if anyone has successfully done this before and could share any advice? I've heard that anesthesia offers positions outside the match but that this year or last there was a new rule stating that all positions had to be through the match. Anyone know if this is the case or if positions are still held outside the match?

My other big question is if I do need to re-apply through the NRMP match again, does anyone know how an intern gets a token to apply? (would it be through my medical school again?) Thanks again guys.

For reference, good student, no red flags, 240's/250's step1/2, no issues with current residency program.

Members don't see this ad.

There are several similar threads. However, to review, here's what you would need to do:

1. You first need a match waiver from your future radiology program. You've matched for the July 2014 year, so that match is still "pending". As long as you file a request with the NRMP by January and state that the reason for the waiver request is that you've changed your mind about your field, you'll get the waiver -- but expect it to take at least 3 weeks.

2. To answer the question you're probably now thinking -- Yes, you must give up your rads spot first, then look for an anesthesia spot. You can't keep your rads spot, and then give it up if you find an anesthesia spot to replace it with. This can be scary since there's always some chance you won't get an anesthesia spot, and end up with nothing. As a good US grad, chances of ending up with absolutely nothing are unlikely, but certainly possible.

3. Once you have your waiver, you can then apply to anesthesia spots. Problem is, you'll be quite late to do so. Theoretically, you're not allowed to apply until you have the waiver in hand. Realistically if you do, it's unlikely that anyone will care. Even if you start the application process today, you're quite late and I can't tell you what your chances of getting an anesthesia spot are.

4. All anesthesia PGY-1 and PGY-2 spots are in the match. You'll have the option of applying for Categorical (PGY-1 starting July 2014 [you'd be repeating your intern year]), Advanced (PGY-2 starting July 2015 [you'd have a gap year, where you'd need to find something to do]), or Reserved / Physician Only spots (PGY-2 starting July 2014). The "R" spots are the one's that are perfect for you. Looking at the NRMP site, there are about 30 programs with R positions listed. Remember that more spots may appear -- when you tell your PD that you're dropping out of Rads, they will now have an R position to list.

5. You'll need to get your ERAS application started ASAP. You get your token from your medical school -- it's very easy, simply contact their Dean of Student's office. You will need a letter from your current prelim PD. You'll also need some anesthesia letters, presumably.

6. You'll need to think about how you'll get time to interview. Your prelim program may be flexible, or may not.

7. Talking to the anesthesia PD at your current program would be a very good idea. If they have an open spot, that might make everything much easier.

8. Another option is to try and find an anesthesia PGY-1 that is currently open (presumably because someone left). If you find one, you could quit your current PGY-1 and transition into the anesthesia PGY-1. You'd need to give your current program adequate notice (at least 3 months). Finding an open PGY-1 in anesthesia invovles contactating programs directly (unless there is a centralized list).

9. If all that fails, you can participate in SOAP. This is not a good plan, but there's always a chance.

10. You'll need a plan B. I think that if you applied on time, with letters, etc, you'll get an anesthesia position. But let's say you simply can't make it all happen fast enough this year, and can't find a spot. In that case, you need to find employment for next year, and then start this process all over again.

Aprogdirector,

Thanks for all that info it was very informative and I appreciate you taking the time to spell it out for me.

I have one question for you though, does the fact that I'm matched at a categorical radiology program complicate things? Despite me doing medicine right now my program director is still the Radiology PD. I would be worried about getting a LOR from this person after telling them I've had a change of heart regarding my chosen field of medicine, in addition I've not actually had interaction with this person outside of my interview. Thanks again for any insight you can offer on my situation.

Changes things somewhat. If you've matched at a categorical rads spot, then you don't need a match waiver.

You'll still need an LOR from the PD.

You'll still likely need to resign from your current spot while looking for a new spot. Your PD will put the spot into the match as an R position.

Hey guys,

As the thread title suggests I'm wanting to switch from Radiology (currently pgy-1) into anesthesia with an ideal start date of 2014 as a first year gas resident. I just wanted to post here to ask if anyone has successfully done this before and could share any advice? I've heard that anesthesia offers positions outside the match but that this year or last there was a new rule stating that all positions had to be through the match. Anyone know if this is the case or if positions are still held outside the match?

My other big question is if I do need to re-apply through the NRMP match again, does anyone know how an intern gets a token to apply? (would it be through my medical school again?) Thanks again guys.

For reference, good student, no red flags, 240's/250's step1/2, no issues with current residency program.

A-rad,

What are your general reasons for the switch?

thanx
:cool:

I picked it for how I perceived it to be as a med student, not how it actually is.

So now you're dropping it for how you perceive it as an intern - not how it actually is.

I think the unfortunate truth about radiology is that you don't really know much about it until you're a couple years in. My opinion is at that point if you don't like it, you're too far in for a change to be worth it.

You're right in that my perception is probably not totally accurate at this point, but I do know more about it than when I was a student.

I'm also trying to be intentionally vague on an anonymous internet forum. It would take pages to talk about the things I like and dislike about Radiology.

I think the unfortunate truth about radiology is that you don't really know much about it until you're a couple years in. My opinion is at that point if you don't like it, you're too far in for a change to be worth it.

You're right in that my perception is probably not totally accurate at this point, but I do know more about it than when I was a student.

I'm also trying to be intentionally vague on an anonymous internet forum. It would take pages to talk about the things I like and dislike about Radiology.

Entirely reasonable. I just wanted everyone to realize that there's not too much about internship that would elucidate one's view of radiology.