how do you find a DO to shadow?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elvingomez

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
my post bacc begins this summer and i'm looking to get some EC's and good experiences. How do you guys go about finding a Dr. to shadow?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by elvingomez
my post bacc begins this summer and i'm looking to get some EC's and good experiences. How do you guys go about finding a Dr. to shadow?
Hey elvin, you can just go into the phone book and find DOs and email them or you can look online for their emails. Maybe other people may have other ideas.

I see that you're from el monte in CA. You should really look at WesternU/COMP the DO school in Pomona. Their class is very ethnically diverse and they have a lot of hispanics also (by your sn I am assuming you are part hispanic). Susan Hanson, the director of admissions, is the head of the latino medical students club at COMP so that helps.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
great info guys, thanx. I am definately looking into COMP as a first choice. As far as the link, once i find someone, is it okay just to call them? i mean is this acceptable? or would i be intrusive by calling?

Originally posted by elvingomez
once i find someone, is it okay just to call them? i mean is this acceptable? or would i be intrusive by calling?

It's perfectly fine to call them because you'll be leaving a message with a receptionist to the effect that you are a future DO looking for a DO to talk to and potentially shadow. It's the doc's choice whether they call you back, so it can't hurt! I think you'll find that most DO's are very receptive to this sort of thing also.

-Noah

you ask to shadow your own primary care physician, or am I the only one who goes to a DO???

I see a DO but chose to seek out an academic DO to shadow. It made a difference in my opinion.

Raptor5

Contact the OPSC at
http://www.opsc.org/

Thats how I did it. They put me in touch with the local chapter and I met some docs and students who refered me to a physician to shadow.