How important is the "audition rotation" for PMR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

normalforce

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am married and do not want to leave my wife for months at a time. How important is it to do "audition rotations". I would be doing PMR at Beaumont hospital and Wayne State (based in Detroit), but I want to match to RIC, UofM or IU. ANy info is great.

NF

Members don't see this ad.

I thought it really helped me at UMich...and I'm pretty sure it helped my classmate who matched at RIC. At the very least, getting to know faculty at a site and getting a letter of rec from a place you want to go helps a ton.

Are you a Wayne student? If you are and have any questions (I rotated at both of the sites you are going to be at) give me a PM. :clap:

I rotated at Kessler and JFK. I did NOT rotate at RIC but matched there. From talking to the residents at RIC, it seems to be about half/half at this time. I think it did help to do a rotation at a "name" institution and get a letter from a "name" physiatrist. I don't think you necessarily have to do a rotation at the places where you want to match - BUT it definitely does make a difference to know the attendings and the residents. Especially if you are not the bubbly super-social type who can make friends in the few hours you get to interact with people on interview day.

I don't think you have to be away from your wife for months. You may be able to do two week rotations or just one month. OR - take some of your vacation time and spend a few days there just to show interest.

Granted, I didn't do any of the above and still matched, so it probably isn't necessary. Good luck with everything. pm-me if you have questions. :luck: