my step 1 results

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

souljah1

Attending
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
got my step1 results back..

just wanted to share that the nbme self assessment exams were pretty predictive of my actual performance on the real deal. i scored a 570 one week prior to the exam and a 600 three days prior to the exam. both had a mean of 500 with a standard deviation of 100. although the mean and standard deviation for this year's step1 are not fully known yet, my score was roughly in the same percentile.

going off of last year's mean and sd (217 with a sd of 24), i got exactly one standard deviation above the mean (241/97) on the real deal (taken 4/9). my performance on individual subjects varied compared to the self assessments, but my overall performance was pretty similar.

i don't remember what i got on the free downloadable version, but i think i averaged in the high 80s on those.

as for Qbank...i started off getting my ass kicked (low60's scattered with 50's and a 45 i won't forget about) and with about 1 1/2 weeks before my test date i started averaging consistently in the mid-70's, cracking the 80's every once and awhile. i feel like qbank asks a lot of questions in different ways about the same things, so i felt like my percentages were going up b/c i was learning what qbank wanted me to learn. this started to bug me. overall it was a great study tool and helped to me to focus and get used to the computerized format. almost always, i took qbank opened up to all topics and did either blocks of 25 or 50 depending on my time. when it was all said and done (did about 90% of qbank) i had a cumulative average of 71 or 72%. i would go over practice tests afterwards and closely read the explanations. all those HLA questions are a waste of time!

i did about 8 of the NMS 50 question exams atleast a week prior to the real deal. they were more picky in some ways, but more general in others. averaged around mid-70's on those.

also did most of robbin's question book. used this more as a learning tool than a test simulator. so, i don't know percentages for these. i HIGHLY recommend using this to study path. learned a lot and annotated First Aid with anything that was not known.

i made up a study schedule and stuck to it pretty well. studied about half time for 2 weeks (4hrs) and then kicked it in high gear for 3 weeks (8hrs), with the last week being almost solely devoted to doing questions and reviewing First Aid. I put a lot of notes in the margins of FA so that I would not have to go back and look at other review books used (BRS physio, BRS path, High Yield Behavioral, High Yield Neuro, Micro Made Simple.) i felt pretty burnt out by the time the test rolled around. it helped to ease any anxiety b/c i was soooo looking forward to having it done with.

i can't think of anything else. i know that reading other people's posts concerning how they did on qbank, nbme self assesments, etc and the real thing helped to boost my confidence as i made my way through studying for step1. hopefully, this post will help someone else feel like they are ready to take it and pass!

best of luck to my peers.

Members don't see this ad.

wow, thats great. just a quick question, what about anatomy and biochem? was FA all? anyway, congrats on that.

merlin said:
wow, thats great. just a quick question, what about anatomy and biochem? was FA all? anyway, congrats on that.

Anatomy - all that I used FA and Qbank for most of anatomy, as well as High Yield Neuro Anatomy for neuroanatomy. i had very little general anatomy questions. did have a few CT/MRI of the abd as well. had quite a bit of neuroanatomy. FA neuroanatomy was probably sufficient, and the general anatomy/embryology section was definitely sufficient.

Biochem - i have taken quite a few biochem classes in my life so i didn't have to study biochem that much. of course, i had to memorize all of the lipopolysaccharide disorders, etc - but pathways and things were lightly reviewed. other classmates have told me FA was a good resource, and some consulted the biochem portions of our syllabi. a few used lipencott's but that thing looks huge to me. i didn't have all that much biochem on my test. others had quite a bit. i had a lot of molecular biology/genetics type questions.

Thanks for the congrats, Stinger. Feels good to have closure.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks a lot for sharing, it gives many of us some insight on how to approach this monster.
Congrats!

: hi !
congratulations on your success in exams .
could you tell me which is the best book for molecular biology & genetics.
thanks & good luck for your future.

souljah, i know you recommended robbins for a good path review. when doing the questions, did you find the robbins questions, as far as the level of difficulty, to be on par with step 1 or more difficult or easier?

thx.

Congrats Soljah. Nice to see some of the oldies still posting on here and doing quite well.

like i said above, robbins questions were used more as a study source than for testing. i would say that robbin's questions are pretty similar to the real deal.

as far as a good book for molecular bio and genetics...no idea. i just used first aid and qbank for that.

jalby, thanks. crazy how quickly we are moving through med school. best of luck on the boards. i'm sure those 1oo and something days that usc gives you to study are plenty! i highly suggest moving your date up and getting more vacation time. you are a smart dude. you don't need this much time, imho. get it over with!

how is your study schedule like??? do you mind if you post your study schedule here??? :)

thanks daisy! best of luck to you.

dendritic, as for a study schedule, i don't exactly remember how many days i devoted to each subject, but i'll quickly try to share what i do remember.

physio - 3 days - brs, fa
path - 7 days - brs, fa, robbin's questions
full day off
behavioral - 1 day - high yield
immuno - 1 day - fa
biochem - 2 days - fa, some syllabi
micro - 4 days - fa, mmrs
pharm - 4 days - fa, katzung list in back of baby text, made cards
full day off
anatomy/histo - 1 day - qbank questions, fa
neuroanatomy - 1 day - high yield, fa
embryo - 1 day - borrowed high yielf, fa

the last week was spent going over fa, and doing a ton of review questions from qbank, nbme, usmle, and nms. the last day i looked at pharm cards and crammable stuff until dinner time. some say don't do anything, but to each is own. gotta go with what you feel you need to do.

that is about as good of a reporting job on my schedule as i can do. seems like forever ago.

thanks a lot souljah... well, i think i spent too much time on the physio though.. :)

I'd like to know what anyone thinks of the PreTest series. I took a look at them in the bookstore. The neuroscience edition looked decent but the questions in the pharm edition looked too easy. Also what do you guys think of the Board Simulator Series.

i started out on bss for the first week or two of studying. i stopped doing them about 2 weeks ago. i did about 1000 questions from them...expect at least a 10% lower percentage compared to qbank and NMS. the questions are tougher, however i do like their explanations. i'd only recommend doing them if you got time to burn and know you are going to need more questions other than qbank, nms, robbins, and webpath.
i did webpath and robbins throughout 2nd year, so i figured i'd need more questions than just qbank and nms.

Congrats on your score souljah. I am sure with this score u could be able to get a decent residency. Thanks.