Helppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Columbia22

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im going to be retaking the mcats in August, (already took them once last August, decent score), but I dont want schools to hold off reviewing my app till after the August scores are out, because that would just put me in the same situation as my application this past year. What box should i check on AMCAS, Yes retaking, No not retaking, or Unsure. Can i check the No i will not be retaking box, and then take the test again anyways and send them to schools? Will schools be able to see my new August score if i choose this option? Thanks a lot

Members don't see this ad.

check the box that you are retaking, if you do not schools will review your application now with your current MCAT scores and making their decisions on that MCAT score, once they send a rejection, that's it. I would get everything else in so all they have to wait is for the score.

ya, but i feel that my score last year was not bad enought to warrant immediate rejection, as i found myself on hold at many schools up till this past april, and i am still holding on dearly to one waitlist. I just do not want to delay my application, and I feel that should my new August score not improve so much or at all, im in the same situation as last year. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with brodaiga. If you mark, no, not taking the test in august, they'll simply base their decision on the score they have already with them. I would tell them that you are retaking. Just curious, though, if you knew this situation would happen, why not take the test in April?

because i still had hope for the last application cycle. what if my score in August doesnt improve by much. Arent i just screwed then, especially given the late October review of my file?

Columbia22 said:
because i still had hope for the last application cycle. what if my score in August doesnt improve by much. Arent i just screwed then, especially given the late October review of my file?
Yes. You'll be in the same situation as you are this year and maybe won't even get accepted to an MD school. The difference will be you won't have a DO acceptance to fall back on as you had this year.

Then you're screwed. I'm sorry.

It's a tough choice. If you retake in August, schools will not look at your apps at all until they get your score. If you don't, then you will be applying with whatever score you already got. If your score is decent and you dont think you will improve by a whole lot (like 3+ points), I dont think it's worth taking it in August. I would either apply this year early with the score you have (and if you dont get in anywhere, take the mcat in April) OR take the mcat in August and apply next year.

if you feel confident with your scores, then mark that you are not taking the august mcat - remember your probability is much higher with an earlier submission date. also, as long as they are good enough to get you in the door, you can always update your app with new scores later.

A few things to consider:

1. Is the list of schools you're applying to significantly different or are you basically reapplying to the same schools? If you're reapplying, schools will want to know what makes you a stronger applicant this year vs last year.

2. What changes have you made in your application to make it stronger? If you've got the same application with the same MCAT score, you might want to take the test in August and mark "yes, i'm taking the August exam" so your schools will wait to make a decision.

3. In retaking the test in August, can you increase at least 3 points or more? If not, it may no help too much anyway.

Columbia22 said:
Im going to be retaking the mcats in August,

One more thing to consider: mcats is not a word. One test, not 4 separate ones.

what was the mcat score?

if it's really not bad, maybe you'de be better served doing other stuff and just submitting mad early.

Why don't you just retake the MCAT in April of next year and that way your application will be in on time, and you have time to add more things on there. Otherwise, you might turn an application that is not that different from this year's. And hey, the waitlist might start moving in late June. I think that's what I'm going to do. I'll just wait for NYMC's waitlist, and if not, I'll retake the MCAT in April.

Members don't see this ad :)
My score was a 28, friggin 8 in Verbal cuz i guessed half the exam after the fire alarm disturbed me, yet a writing score of S which doesnt match the verbal score, as well as a high non-science gpa. What do you guys think now? Any advice, early app or retake??

i remember talking to my pre-med advisor about this, and he said schools didn't really like it if you marked you weren't planning to take the august mcats and then you do. he said somethign along the lines that they feel like they were lied to.... i don't know if this is true or not. maybe you should ask your advisor? good luck!!

Well, what are your other stats????

3.5 overall, 3.25 science from Columbia, already enrolled in GTOWN SMP for next year, on one waitlist

That's borderline. Considering you went to Columbia, if you applied to like 30+ schools, you should probably get into somewhere. Now if you want to do better than just get in anywhere, I would just take the MCAT in August, do the Georgetown MS (I would probably do this anyways even if you were applying this year) and apply next year.

I applied to 28 schools this past year, the thing is my file wasnt complete till late october cuz the premed office decided to mail out my committee letter to schools one day before the August MCAT came out....

Let me also add, that im not shooting for like Ivy league schools here or anything...i mean, even Drexel and FInch and my SUNYs didnt give me a shot this past year, and i know that the suny averages are around a 29 mcat, cept for stony brook

Marking on the AMCAS that you're not retaking the MCAT seems kind of ridiculous if you really are. Like was mentioned before, the admissions committees go ahead with the score you've already submitted the first time. So why bother to retake it and go through all of the hassle to restudy and pay that stupid $185 fee???? Doesn't make sense to me. Either you retake it and tell them, or just don't retake it in the first place.

More importantly, what's the point of retaking it if you don't think you're going to significantly improve? Is it really worth sitting for that exam a second time in that case? A 1-2 point increase probably isn't worth the incredible headaches associated with studying for and taking the MCAT again.

If you can improve your MCAT score to a 30 and you have a 3.5, you will have a very strong application. That having being said, a 28 is not a bad score and with a very early application you should get in somewhere. I think checking No is a good idea if you are willing to apply to a lot of schools. It may give you the chance for an acceptance letter in November or December and that is priceless. IMHO :)

Last summer I completed my application with a 28. I was really upset with the score, but sent my app off anyway still undecided on taking the test in August, so I checked "no". Then I took the test, started filling out secondaries (got rejected by only one school straight off - Wisconsin, Madison), got my 32 notice in October, made SURE to notify my schools of the change (although a lot of them have websites with your "status" and they had my 2nd score in before I ever had to let them know). Only one school (SLU) said, "hey, didn't you check the no box?" I ended up getting in there anyway, so I don't think schools look down on you for it.

Good luck, and I hope my story helps.
-Vandyfox

Vandyfox said:
Last summer I completed my application with a 28. I was really upset with the score, but sent my app off anyway still undecided on taking the test in August, so I checked "no". Then I took the test, started filling out secondaries (got rejected by only one school straight off - Wisconsin, Madison), got my 32 notice in October, made SURE to notify my schools of the change (although a lot of them have websites with your "status" and they had my 2nd score in before I ever had to let them know). Only one school (SLU) said, "hey, didn't you check the no box?" I ended up getting in there anyway, so I don't think schools look down on you for it.

Good luck, and I hope my story helps.
-Vandyfox

are you serious? im in a similar situation. but if marking no didnt matter in the end, why does AMCAS even ask this question?

Thast why im seriously thinking of marking No. i mean, whats the big deal...Many people decide at the last minute to retake the MCAT. I dont think schools would be offended by this, especially if they get your updated scores anyways. And plus, my file would be reviewed early on, with a possible chance at an early accpetance.

Helppppppppppp doesn't work, by the way. HHHHHHHHHHHHelp, Heeeeeeeeeeeeeelp, and Helllllllllllllllllllllllllllllp are all acceptable, but no one can hold out a "p" sound without sounding like a machine gun.

evines said:
Helppppppppppp doesn't work, by the way. HHHHHHHHHHHHelp, Heeeeeeeeeeeeeelp, and Helllllllllllllllllllllllllllllp are all acceptable, but no one can hold out a "p" sound without sounding like a machine gun.
Excellent point. :)

To the OP, I just realized you went to Columbia. I understand now. There's no way someone from Columbia is just going to go to some osteopathic school. ;)

Evines, thats what I was aiming for, the machine gun sound. Anywho, yeah Luck, now you understand

Interesting...I am in pretty much the same position as the OP, except this will be my first time applying. I was going to mark on AMCAS that I plan to retake in Aug, but now I'm not so sure if I should! I got a 29 on the MCAT, but the breakdown of my scores is really uneven--10 BS, 7 PS, 12 VR. Because of this, I plan to retake and hopefully bring up my PS score. I'm concerned that if I don't let them know, some med schools may reject me right off because of that 7, and then it won't matter how much I improve. Is taking the Aug test really the kiss of death it's being made to seem? I mean, don't a lot of people take the Aug test and get in just fine? If you get everything else in, then schools will get your scores mid-Oct and can start interviewing you then if they want, so that's only missing the first round of interviews that take place in Sep. Or am I missing something?

no, ur missing the fact that if your score in August isnt as high to compete with all those April and high August scores, your pretty much screwed. Think of it this way...Schools open up files of applicants to review in early July lets say. Say they have about 500 applicants who submiited in July. Statistically speaking, as the average MCAT score is around a 29.8 or something, your 29 is going to look much more favorable, given that schools dont have that many >32 scores to choose from. Later on in the application season, say in October, once all those high MCAT scores start rolling in, your 29 is gonna look really subpar. That is why they will put you on hold, under the guise of stillhaving a chance, until they review all those high score people, and send you a rejection in late april. Thats the way it works. Therefore, I am thinking of applying today or tomorrow, and checking No to the August MCAT box, even tho I will most likely retake it..i dont see what the big deal is, you dont need to know months ahead of time if you'll be retaking an exam. And plus, its your score that matters

I see your point Columbia22--while it is true that a 29 isn't so bad, as I said I am concerned because I got a 7 in PS, and I have heard that anything below an 8 in any section will be looked on very unfavorably and may not make the cut-off at schools that screen pre-secondary. If I don't let schools know I'm retaking, there is a chance my app will end up in their "rejection" pile, and then it won't matter if I get a 40 this Aug as I'll already be out of the game at those schools. That's my thinking, anyway--maybe it is more beneficial to take that chance since you will also get earlier consideration from the schools that don't reject you immediately?

It sounds like from what you are saying though, the main concern with the Aug MCAT is if your scores do not improve, which of course would look bad and not help yor app. I am not too concerned about this, as I only need to bring up one section and I am fairly confident I can do this with hard work (something I failed to do enough of before the last test). As long as my scores go up, then when all the "high MCAT scores" start rolling in around October my new score will be there also, and hopefully be considered alongside them (and be more competitive with them). If you are not confident you can improve your score, you probably shouldn't re-take the test, whether you let AMCAS know or not--it will look equally bad to the schools to get a second subpar MCAT score.

So to restate the earlier question, is it better for people like myself and Columbia22 to let schools know in advance that we are retaking so they don't reject us before receiving the new scores, or is it more beneficial to take that risk in the hope that some schools will accept us early with our existing scores?

Won't you guys feels stupid though if you marked "no, I won't be taking the August test," apply in June, get several quick rejections in August/September, only get a much higher score on the August test (which you won't find out until mid October?) Then it's like retaking the test was a complete waste.

Would the rejections come nearly that fast?? I was on hold with schools until april this past year, and my file wasnt complete until late october. I dont see how schools would be so quick to dismiss OK applicants so quickly, especially if you apply to schools that are within your range

bump bummmmmmmmppppppppppp

Columbia22 said:
bump bummmmmmmmppppppppppp
Not the machine gun p again. :laugh:

I think you should apply early, check on your AMCAS that you want to retake the MCAT, retake the MCAT, score a 30 or above, and you'll get in somewhere. I don't think you should lie and not check the retake box.

I don't think you'll get rejected early since you are a graduate of Columbia and your MCAT score is decent at a 28.

What about the unsure box? What happens if you check that one?

Columbia22 said:
What about the unsure box? What happens if you check that one?
:laugh: I wasn't aware there was an unsure box also. Well, I guess the only way you're going to find out what happens is to check it.

wow - actually I am in the exact same situation - with a 29 (10BS,11PS,8V)

After going back and forth, I had decided to just mark "yes" on AMCAS - for fear of being rejected before the new scores come in. BUT, now that Columbia brings up the competition with other Aug MCATers, I'm not too sure.....

any more thoughts?

How about the "Take a quick look at my application and if I would get in with a few more points on the MCAT, please contact immediately" button!

Exact same situation as you guys. 30 MCAT, 10, 12, 8 (hoping to bring up that bio score) and currently have the yes box checked. If I read right, if you're unsure, you should check no. What I'm going to do is check no, then take off the schools that feel will reject me outright. When I get my score in oct, then I go ahead and send them my app (if it's better). If I check yes and everyone just puts my stuff on the bottom of their stack, why even bother applying early?

Exactly, so I garner that the answer for all those in our same position is to check the No box for now (In that we are unsure), and then the schools can get our scores later. Whats the point in applying early if we are not going to be reviewed?? Sheesh.

Ahh - good point. So, how late can be add new schools on AMCAS?

I think I am leaning toward marking "no" as well now

This thread has brought up some really good points--it sucks because now I'm not sure what the best course of action is, but before I was just planning to automatically check "yes" and now I'm thinking some "strategery" may be called for. :) What about this plan: Apply now and check "no" to the retake question, removing schools that screen pre-secondary. Then, if I decide to retake the Aug MCAT (which I'm pretty sure I will, but it depends on how my practice test scores are--obviously, I won't retake if I'm not confident I'm going to improve), add the other schools after I take the MCAT in Aug and let them know I did retake the test, either by changing the designation on AMCAS (will it let you do this, or can you only add more schools after you submit?) or by calling each school that I add and letting them know individually.

I could wait until my Aug test scores are back to add schools, but this seems a little too risky because then my app won't be complete at those schools until probably Nov at the earliest, and that's pretty late in the game. This way, I will get reviewed early by those schools that I have a chance at with my current qualifications, and my later scores can only help me at those schools anyway (they still get them even if you don't say you're retaking, right?), and I will add the other schools later once I have definitely decided to retake and have a better idea of how I might have done and where I'll be competitive at. Does this sound like a good idea? I'm a little concerned still though, because what if some of the schools that I apply to initially reject me after receiving my secondary before receiving my new scores? How quickly do most schools start sending out rejections? :confused:

What i think is, that unless your first MCAT score is just horrible, schools will put off making a decision on your application for a very very very long time. This is what happened to me this year, as I was on hold till April. Most schools do not screen pre-secondary, or at least the ones I applied to dont. Your chances are far better with an early interview and decent scores, as opposed to a late application and better scores, or at least thats my opinion. Would you want to be competing with only 100 4.0s and 35 MCATS, or over 1,000 later on?