EVMS Masters Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD Rapper

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Of the many masters programs I applied to, I have heard the least about EVMS. I wanted to know if anyone else on here had any information whatsoever. It could be anything from success rates to med school, lifestyle, rigor of curriculum, etc. As of right now, all I know is that it is a small program. Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

MD Rapper said:
Of the many masters programs I applied to, I have heard the least about EVMS. I wanted to know if anyone else on here had any information whatsoever. It could be anything from success rates to med school, lifestyle, rigor of curriculum, etc. As of right now, all I know is that it is a small program. Thanks everyone!

What does EVMS stand for?

Eastern Virginia Medical School

Members don't see this ad :)
EVMS has a great postbac program. I am an M2 at EVMS and did a postbac at MCV/VCU in Richmond. MCV has about 160 people in their postbac program EVMS had close to 15 this last year. So far, 11 of them have been accepted for next year. EVMS puts you in most of the M1 classes. You can opt out of taking any class that you got an A in the Masters program once you matriculate. I feel that EVMS uses a model that says: if you come and do well in the postbac program, your hard work will pay off with an offer to our school. hope that helps. :)

I've got accepted at UMDNJ, EVMS, Barry and Roslin Canceer Inst MS programs. I just called EVMS and they said its a 9 year program, 70% get into EVMS after one year, no lag. Guaranteed interview, not guaranteed acceptance. If i can bring my MCAT up this summer- i think I'll ge in good shape, but it is a big gamble. They are the only school that suggest applying to med school the same year. Toni Dorn of EVMS said that they suggest applying right away, and the director will write two letters- one when you start the prog and one at halftime giving a summary of your progress. It sounds too good to be true. I don't know if i should take the gamble.

The info on the forums seem to give EVMS the thumbs up..

If you have called and spoken with the powers that be and the cost does not bother you, then maybe you should take the leap.

Take a trip to Norfolk. If EVMS is where you want to go, they give you MS1 credit for the time in the Masters program, and they say the same thing to your face that they do on the phone, then ......

(I am considering EVMS in the future.)

Agape

I just spoke with the head of the Medical Masters program, Dr. Don Meyers, yesterday.

I had my application in since end of the October. Only in beginning of March did they start reviewing applications.

I spoke with Dr. Meyers last week and he asked me to come in to speak to him in person. He basically informed me that I was on a waitlist. I'm not sure if they reject anyone in their initial review. But, he proceeded to give me a lecture (I thought it had been an interview) about MCAT scores and grades. By the way, he sits on the admission board for EVMS. He told me that EVMS is now more concerned about the basic numbers. He said, though in the past, EVMS had looked at people with lower numbers, this is not the case now. Without the numbers, the admission board would not vote a student an admittance into the medical school.

He didn't tell me precisely what these minimum numbers were, he seem to hint at 27. Mine was a little below this. He told me the average score was around 29 to get into EVMS's medical school. Dr. Meyers said that without these minimum scores, he would be hardpressed to let them into the Masters program. Also, he was concerned that your undgraduate cumulative gpa was 2.75. Your graduate grades are looked at but he placed emphasis on the undergraduate cumulative.

He also mentioned that nobody took their MCATs during their Masters year.

This is all information that you can't find anywhere else.

I was very disappointed by the experience. The school and staff took too long, open-ended, and unsympathetic hand to an applicant.

I would disagree about the numbers. Dr. Meyers didn't ask any questions about the numbers he saw on my application. When I asked him if he believe numbers predicted future success as a doctor, he talked about how standardized testing existed in every doctor's future.

I would say that students bring to their practices, their experiences, themselves, as well as their capacity to learn and interact with others. Medicine isn't about numbers but numbers seem to dictate who is allowed to practice it as an allopathic phsysican. If people are judged by their numbers alone, society is hurt by potential that is left behind. Anyways, please keep this in mind for those of you with the right numbers.

Reactions: 1 user
azileretsis said:
I just spoke with the head of the Medical Masters program, Dr. Don Meyers, yesterday.

I had my application in since end of the October. Only in beginning of March did they start reviewing applications.

I spoke with Dr. Meyers last week and he asked me to come in to speak to him in person. He basically informed me that I was on a waitlist. I'm not sure if they reject anyone in their initial review. But, he proceeded to give me a lecture (I thought it had been an interview) about MCAT scores and grades. By the way, he sits on the admission board for EVMS. He told me that EVMS is now more concerned about the basic numbers. He said, though in the past, EVMS had looked at people with lower numbers, this is not the case now. Without the numbers, the admission board would not vote a student an admittance into the medical school.

I would say that students bring to their practices, their experiences, themselves, as well as their capacity to learn and interact with others. Medicine isn't about numbers but numbers seem to dictate who is allowed to practice it as an allopathic phsysican. If people are judged by their numbers alone, society is hurt by potential that is left behind. Anyways, please keep this in mind for those of you with the right numbers.

Well, keep in mind that they only have 15 slots (very small class). I would say that positions may open up later as people who accepted drop. I didn't quite understand your position on the admission process to their masters prog. Are you saying they are more selective or their medical school is more selective.

thanks and good luck!

Sorry for your less than pleasant experience with Dr. Meyers. Lesson learned, be persistent and do not let an application sit from oct. until march. You may have had more options if you would have figured this out in Nov.

MD 2008…two very successful students….one who had 25 MCAT and another with a 2.90 GPA. Not to suffice for this Calendar year; these numbers do point to the recent fallacy or lack of unbending of such a minimal score policy. I concur with the limited predictive validity of aptitude tests. One can be completely apt to succeed but spend their entire medical school career drinking massive amounts of liquor because they lack the know how or motivation to apply their “mental abilities”. I am kidding about this of course, no problem with having fun in medical school. And yes, there are mounds and mounds of medical students with this mentality, makes you angry right! However, their needs to be a standardized review process out of necessity due to the shear volume of applicants. Yes it stinks and you would probably succeed in medical school right now and make a great physician. However, so would this guy, that guy, and that guy over there too. Dr. Meyer is correct, your standardized testing skills are going to get you somewhere. But you are right too, this foot in the door doesn’t prove you will amount to anything humanisticly as a physician. This is why the application process includes interviews and many review processes that attempt to gauge the sincerity, compassion, and other factors of a truly competent “to-be” doctor.

Again sorry about what happened; do not get turned away from med school. Keep trying. Remember, the hardest part is the acceptance, or is it….jk. You allude to the fact that your MCAT and GPA are low. The masters program is fairly competitive in all rights. Accept those who just barely miss getting into medical school is usually the routine. Retake your MCATs. A postbac/masters program is designed to supplement a less than superior previous GPA. Thus, showing you can succeed with the rigor of medical school course load. Also, there is absolutely no way you could even begin to think about taking the MCATS while in the medical masters program. You are basically an M1 at EVMS, 70 hour work weeks become routine. Best of luck, lots of movement with the Masters Program. Those currently accepted will not matriculate as they will receive acceptance off the wait list - MD 09. A smart “top-third” waitlister would have put themselves in this position, ;).

Ok I am currently a medical master at EVMS, and I interview for the MD program tomorrow actually. The post bac program here at EVMS is unlike any other in the nation. Most post bac programs are cash cows where they accept 150 people into the program, and then MAYBE except 10 into their medical program the following year. Here they accept a max of 20 into the post bac program, and then accept pretty much everyone that did well. Dr. Meyer may have come off rude to you, but honestly its not rude you are just nieve. And sorry if that sounds rude but I wish someone had slapped me around 3 years ago and told me the same thing. You have to realize most medical schools have ten to fifteen applicants for each spot, and everyone has different great experiences to brag about. So when it comes down to it, its so competitive they have to look at the numbers. If you scored lower than a 27 on the MCAT and don't have higher than a 3.7 GPA, why are they going to accept you over the 1000 other people with 30's or higher on the MCAT and 3.5's or higher on their GPA. EVMS is notorious for trying to look past the numbers and choosing people based on the interview and past experience, BUT it's getting more and more competetive. Two years ago when I first applied the average accepted MCAT was 27, now its a 29. I have a 31 on the MCAT and I made a 3.3 in an engineering degree, and this is my third time to apply to medical school, so you think you're frustrated?

OK now that i'm done tryin to scare you, the EVMS program is a good program if you are willing to bust your ass. Its not like other post bac's where you take undergrad courses like organic and biology. You will be taking the ACTUAL first year of medical school minus anatomy and the patient interaction classes. You will be sitting in class with the actual first year medical students, and you will take the exact same tests as the first year medical students. You are expected to outperform the medical school average to prove you are worthy of a spot for next year, and when you are competing against a 100 really bright students with phenomenal grades in undergrad, its very hard to do. The people that are accepted to this post bac program and don't get in to the medical program are people who A) made a C or did below average in any class, or B) doesn't get along with others and did bad on the interview.

Anyway sorry i wrote a novel, this is a huge decision and i just wanta help you out because i wasn in your shoes a year ago...It is a huge gamble but if you have the drive to work your ass off and beat the med school average, it will get you accepted to EVMS. If your MCAT is lower than 27 and or your GPA is lower than a 3.4, a post bac program is probably your only choice. Either that the caribbean or an osteopathic school.

Oh and the reason they look at numbers more now is we got a new dean, and he's more traditional. He wants the top students from the top colleges, just like other med schools. Sucks I know

hakim100 said:
Ok I am currently a medical master at EVMS, and I interview for the MD program tomorrow actually. The post bac program here at EVMS is unlike any other in the nation. Most post bac programs are cash cows where they accept 150 people into the program, and then MAYBE except 10 into their medical program the following year. Here they accept a max of 20 into the post bac program, and then accept pretty much everyone that did well. Dr. Meyer may have come off rude to you, but honestly its not rude you are just nieve. And sorry if that sounds rude but I wish someone had slapped me around 3 years ago and told me the same thing. You have to realize most medical schools have ten to fifteen applicants for each spot, and everyone has different great experiences to brag about. So when it comes down to it, its so competitive they have to look at the numbers. If you scored lower than a 27 on the MCAT and don't have higher than a 3.7 GPA, why are they going to accept you over the 1000 other people with 30's or higher on the MCAT and 3.5's or higher on their GPA. EVMS is notorious for trying to look past the numbers and choosing people based on the interview and past experience, BUT it's getting more and more competetive. Two years ago when I first applied the average accepted MCAT was 27, now its a 29. I have a 31 on the MCAT and I made a 3.3 in an engineering degree, and this is my third time to apply to medical school, so you think you're frustrated?

OK now that i'm done tryin to scare you, the EVMS program is a good program if you are willing to bust your ass. Its not like other post bac's where you take undergrad courses like organic and biology. You will be taking the ACTUAL first year of medical school minus anatomy and the patient interaction classes. You will be sitting in class with the actual first year medical students, and you will take the exact same tests as the first year medical students. You are expected to outperform the medical school average to prove you are worthy of a spot for next year, and when you are competing against a 100 really bright students with phenomenal grades in undergrad, its very hard to do. The people that are accepted to this post bac program and don't get in to the medical program are people who A) made a C or did below average in any class, or B) doesn't get along with others and did bad on the interview.

Anyway sorry i wrote a novel, this is a huge decision and i just wanta help you out because i wasn in your shoes a year ago...It is a huge gamble but if you have the drive to work your ass off and beat the med school average, it will get you accepted to EVMS. If your MCAT is lower than 27 and or your GPA is lower than a 3.4, a post bac program is probably your only choice. Either that the caribbean or an osteopathic school.

Oh and the reason they look at numbers more now is we got a new dean, and he's more traditional. He wants the top students from the top colleges, just like other med schools. Sucks I know

Preach on Hakim!! As another Med Masters student I would agree with everything this man has said. This program is rigorous and unfortunately numbers are the name of the game. If you are lucky enough to get into the program, and you have the drive and passion to do will then you will get in. There are shining examples of successful medical masters students in everyone of the medical classes. You determine your own fate as a medical masters student. FYI, this is nothing like undergrad. It is very hard to ace courses in this program, but definately doable if you bust your tail. FYI, last year out of 19 students 15 are in this year's med school class. The program works.

Tooth

TiggidyTooth said:
Preach on Hakim!! As another Med Masters student I would agree with everything this man has said. This program is rigorous and unfortunately numbers are the name of the game. If you are lucky enough to get into the program, and you have the drive and passion to do will then you will get in. There are shining examples of successful medical masters students in everyone of the medical classes. You determine your own fate as a medical masters student. FYI, this is nothing like undergrad. It is very hard to ace courses in this program, but definately doable if you bust your tail. FYI, last year out of 19 students 15 are in this year's med school class. The program works.

Tooth

"The post bac program here at EVMS is unlike any other in the nation. Most post bac programs are cash cows where they accept 150 people into the program, and then MAYBE except 10 into their medical program the following year"

This is an exaggeration and I have noticed that although the EVMS people are proud of their school they take little digs at other programs. At G-town last year 33 people were accepted out of the SMP class and not everyone in the class even applied. Really not a bad number at all and the top 50 % of the class got interviews.

although i had to retake calc II, i'm pretty sure that 80% acceptance beats 50% interview anyday. :idea:

Members don't see this ad :)
on a more fluffy note: if you're in this for the right reason, NOTHING is going to stop you from being a doctor. it may take you a while to get there, but you'll get there and will appreciate the journey all the more. it WILL happen.

I wasn't taking a dig at other schools, its just the truth. Most post bac programs accept way more students than they could ever possibly admit into their MD program. Which is sad because hundreds of students each year pay very good money to go to a program, work very hard to earn a pointless degree, and still don't get accepted to the MD program. But here if you do well, you get in...its that simple. Well its not simple because doing well isn't easy, but if you have the drive you can do it. I'm not partial to EVMS in anyway, I just did my research and know this is one of the only post bac programs with an acceptance percentage as high as 75%. Not to mention you also graduate with a masters in biomedical science.

Is it significantly harder for out of staters to get into the masters program & latter the med school?

Lindyhopper said:
Is it significantly harder for out of staters to get into the masters program & latter the med school?

To get into the Med Masters program there is no preference whether you are in state or out of state. However, for the med school program there is a huge preference if you a medical masters student :thumbup: .

Tooth

Are they really coming down on people with <28 MCATs and <3.00 gpas? On the website it says they expect a min MCAT of 23 and gpa of at least B- (2.75).
I'm just a bit concerned.

hakim100 said:

Yeah Hakim! You totally came off as mean, although everything you said was totally valid. Hasnt ITP taught you how to better talk to people? Ya better re-read that Interviewing the Medical Patient book :laugh: Just gently teasing!

I'm one of the MD06's about to graduate. I did *not* do the Med master's program. However, I did want to talk up the program because the med masters, year after year, are super! Incredibly tight knit group (sometimes a little too cliquey IMO but I guess its sorta understandable) -- they cant do as well as they do without being so tight and helping each other out. I remember us in the MSI class used to HATE the med masters because they would totally throw off the curve and make us look bad. Although some of the profs would tell us that the med masters were graded on a different scale with different expectations, they seemed to nonetheless let us know that the MM's kicked our butts.

Speaking of different expectations -- like he said, the program is no joke and not your basic biology/chem/phys. But the program *does* hold its med masters into a different standard. Some of the smartest people in M1 classes are the former med master students. Although I guess the fact that you only have to take 2 or 3 classes versus a full courseload for the traditional M1 may have had something to do with that. But they earned it! You did not have to repeat the classes you got an honors in. And so you can make a little extra money tutoring or helping out in the labs (especially histo).

And of those who do not get accepted, or choose not to stay at EVMS, a number of them still go off and do medically related fields -- dentistry, osteopathic medicine and I'm half tempted to say one year a girl did veterinary medicine.

Anyhoo -- just wanted to throw in my 2 cents and give some major kudos to the med masters.

Quick question, anyone applied to the program? If so how long it takes to find out? I called yesterday and I was told they will start reviewing applications tomorrow (which is application deadline). Any EVMS Medical Masters out there? How long it took you guys to find out after the deadline?

Thanks

How is it the only program close to 75 % acceptance rate? G-town and BU both boast 85 % acceptance.....not to just g-town/BU but all medical schools. Also G-town's you get a "Masters in Physiology and Biophysics" sounds flashy to me.

HopeFaith said:
Are they really coming down on people with <28 MCATs and <3.00 gpas? On the website it says they expect a min MCAT of 23 and gpa of at least B- (2.75).
I'm just a bit concerned.

Have no fear. They are definately not coming down hard on the minimum GPA cut offs. I don't think I was even close to the min GPA but they let me in!! Speak with Dr. Meyer and he will be more than candid about your chances.

Tooth

BOBODR said:
How is it the only program close to 75 % acceptance rate? G-town and BU both boast 85 % acceptance.....not to just g-town/BU but all medical schools. Also G-town's you get a "Masters in Physiology and Biophysics" sounds flashy to me.

Sure...after 2 years. EVMS is the only SMP porgram that can boast a 75 % acceptance rate with no glide year. That means you don't have to move back in with your parents and work at Chili's while you wait for the next application cycle to end. Oh...and you don't have to repeat the classes that you received a high pass or honors in. No program in the land can say that. Another of the many reasons as to why EVMS rocks!

Tooth

Disclaimer: This post was not intended to poke fun at those poor saps that had to work at chili's or continue to work at Chili's and/or live with your parents.

haha ok sorry if i came across as mean, wasn't tryin to be mean, just tryin to make a really important point. Everyone should have some idea what they are getting into and I had no clue. Two years ago when i applied to medical school the first time I was like well I got a 3.3 GPA in engineering, for engineering thats really good...and I made a 31 on the MCAT, thats really good...and i have some clinical and research experience so i should get in right? I wish someone (an advisor) had sat me down and told me the straight up truth, instead of smiling in my face and reassuring me I'd get in. They should have told me straight up, NO with a 3.3 GPA you will most likely never get in, and each time you apply in Texas your chances will drop... Actually I wish someone had told me how competetive it was before undergrad...because i definately wasn't mature enough to find out on my own my senior year in high school haha...anyway sorry if i came across as mean...just tryin to be a lil scary...like i wish someone had done to me...because honestly it is a scary and it is a mean process, just something you have to deal with...and yes unfortunately they look mostly at numbers, unless you spent 3 years in africa saving a large population from malaria...

and yes other schools bost similar acceptance numbers, but most of those percentages include people who waited around a year after the program and reapplied as tooth pointed out so elequently. I wasn't to fond of that idea. Most people who get in from the EVMS post bac program, start the fall immediately after the program is over. I've applied twice already, and I'm not getting any younger, the last thing I wanta do is work my butt off a year then wait around another year to maybe get in.

I dont know about others but you dont have to retake classes u got a B or higher in for G-town either....

BOBODR said:
I dont know about others but you dont have to retake classes u got a B or higher in for G-town either....

That's freaking awsome man!! Hope you make the 20% that get in!!

Tooth

TiggidyTooth said:
That's freaking awsome man!! Hope you make the 20% that get in!!

Tooth
Yeah let me go to the EVMS program so that the best I can shoot for is EVMS... freaking awesome man!!!!

BOBODR said:
Yeah let me go to the EVMS program so that the best I can shoot for is EVMS... freaking awesome man!!!!

Is it just me or is that just the most naive post of all time?

Tooth

TiggidyTooth said:
Is it just me or is that just the most naive post of all time?

Tooth

The crap you spew about other programs seems more naive to me....

can't we all just get along? i think you guys need to settle this the only way possible- a danceoff.

reversescorpion said:
can't we all just get along? i think you guys need to settle this the only way possible- a danceoff.

I am down.... will go watch some mr. wiggles videos to get ready.

BOBODR said:
The crap you spew about other programs seems more naive to me....

My Dearest BOBODR,

I am sending you my most heart felt apologies. Obviously somewhere along the way we went from a blossoming friendship to a relationship filled with mixed signals. You and I both understand that the only way we can make this thing work is if we build a bridge of understanding. I BOBODR, want to build a bridge. I want to build that bridge with you and I want you to help me cement the first brick. Reversescorpion told me she would even help mix the cement. So how bout it BOBODR? We're all in this thing together, even if you are a georgetown SMP'er, I still have love for you and am willing to work beyond our master'hood.

Sincerest and warmest regards,

TiggidyTooth

TiggidyTooth said:
My Dearest BOBODR,

I am sending you my most heart felt apologies. Obviously somewhere along the way we went from a blossoming friendship to a relationship filled with mixed signals. You and I both understand that the only way we can make this thing work is if we build a bridge of understanding. I BOBODR, want to build a bridge. I want to build that bridge with you and I want you to help me cement the first brick. Reversescorpion told me she would even help mix the cement. So how bout it BOBODR? We're all in this thing together, even if you are a georgetown SMP'er, I still have love for you and am willing to work beyond our master'hood.

Sincerest and warmest regards,

TiggidyTooth

:laugh:

Your right, I was thinking the same thing...I seriously dont even know how this escalated into such none sense. I really do think EVMS is a good school and after I wrote otherwise I thought that was lame. I know someone who was accepted to the EVMS program for this coming year and I have even been encouraging her to do it because it does seem like the most sure thing as long as you do well. (She is having doubts and thinking about going into pharmacy). I wish people in all programs good luck and u too tiger in "real med school". :thumbup:

yo tiggidy...i heard u say u were nowhere near the gpa cutoff...

i just applied with a 2.65 (hard to believe its an improvement..it was a 2.4 over the summer), and a 33 on the mcat. i was hoping the mcat would compensate for that .1 on the gpa min...

as far as extracurriculars...i'm an MCAT instructor for the princeton review, published author in alzheimer's research with a 2nd publication in the works, and volunteer as an EMT (plus the standard ethnic clubs and crap like that)...

basically everything is in place except for my horrendous gpa, did you have a similar experience and how open was dr. meyers when it came to the mininum gpa's?

thanks buddy..i appreciate it

palmtree said:
yo tiggidy...i heard u say u were nowhere near the gpa cutoff...

i just applied with a 2.65 (hard to believe its an improvement..it was a 2.4 over the summer), and a 33 on the mcat. i was hoping the mcat would compensate for that .1 on the gpa min...

as far as extracurriculars...i'm an MCAT instructor for the princeton review, published author in alzheimer's research with a 2nd publication in the works, and volunteer as an EMT (plus the standard ethnic clubs and crap like that)...

basically everything is in place except for my horrendous gpa, did you have a similar experience and how open was dr. meyers when it came to the mininum gpa's?

thanks buddy..i appreciate it

Well, let me tell you my story and judge for yourself. I graduated with a 2.2 GPA and had to complete 40 hours of post-bac just to get it up to a 2.68. And that was with straight A's. I also had 2 years of full-time research under my belt and a 31 MCAT. Your best bet is to call Dr. Meyer and ask him about your chances. He will be very frank with you. i think the only reason they let me slide is because of all my post-bac work i had put in. The really cool thing is if you get in then basically they wipe the slate clean and its up to you to prove you deserve being in medical school by showing awsome grades throughout your med master year. I wish you the best and if there is anything i can help you out with just let me know.

Tooth

TiggidyTooth said:
Well, let me tell you my story and judge for yourself. I graduated with a 2.2 GPA and had to complete 40 hours of post-bac just to get it up to a 2.68. And that was with straight A's. I also had 2 years of full-time research under my belt and a 31 MCAT. Your best bet is to call Dr. Meyer and ask him about your chances. He will be very frank with you. i think the only reason they let me slide is because of all my post-bac work i had put in. The really cool thing is if you get in then basically they wipe the slate clean and its up to you to prove you deserve being in medical school by showing awsome grades throughout your med master year. I wish you the best and if there is anything i can help you out with just let me know.

Tooth

I had a 2.4 as of spring 2005, and I've gotten B's, B+'s on upper division UCLA molecular bio classes which got it up too a 2.65..some grades from this winter quarter are coming in, i got an A- and a B so far, that bumps it up to a 2.67...i think i can get it to a 2.75 at the end of this upcoming spring quarter, but the class will be full by then. i definetly have shown improvement, but not to the extent that you showed in your app with the straight a's and everything. oh well, i'll just try to get a hold of dr. meyers on monday and hope for the best. thanks again for ur help

Anath said:
And of those who do not get accepted, or choose not to stay at EVMS, a number of them still go off and do medically related fields -- dentistry, osteopathic medicine and I'm half tempted to say one year a girl did veterinary medicine.

do you know how successful masters students were in gaining admission into OTHER medical schools, assuming that they rocked the program? is it only for people looking for a linkage into EVMS?

Selisa said:
do you know how successful masters students were in gaining admission into OTHER medical schools, assuming that they rocked the program? is it only for people looking for a linkage into EVMS?

It is really ideal for those looking for admission into EVMS. The program is not as well known as Georgetown's. But, I do know students who had multiple acceptances and for good reason they will stay at EVMS. You develop a strong bond with your classmates and faculty here and you don't repeat the classes you high passed. All good reasons to stay at EVMS. Right now 3 of our classmates already have acceptances elsewhere but EVMS is their #1 choice.

Tooth

TiggidyTooth said:
It is really ideal for those looking for admission into EVMS. The program is not as well known as Georgetown's. But, I do know students who had multiple acceptances and for good reason they will stay at EVMS. You develop a strong bond with your classmates and faculty here and you don't repeat the classes you high passed. All good reasons to stay at EVMS. Right now 3 of our classmates already have acceptances elsewhere but EVMS is their #1 choice.

Tooth

thanks! :)

Three of our classmates have acceptances? I'm out of the loop...

Bump, because I can

I guess what makes me feel slightly uneasy about EVMS is the fact that it's only 1 year. I'm not applying to med schools right now. So if I complete the program and end up not being taken into their medical school, what am I going to be doing for a year while I take part in the applicationm cycle? I mean, other 1-2 year programs at least let you complete a research thesis if you decide to stay for another year.

HopeFaith said:
I guess what makes me feel slightly uneasy about EVMS is the fact that it's only 1 year. I'm not applying to med schools right now. So if I complete the program and end up not being taken into their medical school, what am I going to be doing for a year while I take part in the applicationm cycle? I mean, other 1-2 year programs at least let you complete a research thesis if you decide to stay for another year.

have no fear my friend. At the end of your med master year you role straight into the medical program without any lag year.

Oh, this year 17 out of 18 med masters students got into the medical program. 95% success rate this year!!!! WAY TO GO MED MASTERS!!!!

HopeFaith said:

Why aren't you applying to med school right now?

kylahs said:
Why aren't you applying to med school right now?

I tried for 2006 entry and am playing the waiting list game with one (1) school. My application for 2007 would not be muched improved so I will wait for 2008.
Toothy, with that 95% rate for this year I feel better about this program.

soooo.....

this is my first post on the forum, and will be attending the EVMS medical master's program. is this still the current thread for the class of 2010?

am i the only one attending?

Nope not the only one, I'll be there Phish. there is another thread called EVMS a little further down the line.