OMFS program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

puzzle2177

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Doctors... :)

New to this forum , hence a big hello to everyone....

I am not a dental student nor into medicine.

I have joined this forum since I require some details for a friend of mine..

My friend has completed her BDS from Manipal-India.
She wants to get a postgraduate degree in OMFS, in the United States.

Could you all help me with some info which I can pass on to her.

My queries are:

What is the first step she would have to take in order to pursue her OMFS postgraduation?

What will be the overall cost which she would have to pay?

Is it compulsory for her to complete her DDS in US before she goes for OMFS?

Whats would be the total duration?

All the replies would be appreciated

Thanks in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi !!! although i can guide you better to join AS but i guess for most of the OMFS programs one has to b a DDS/DMD program is four years , and many universities have funded programs, almost all schools participate in national matching services and mostly donnot accept direct application . But again donnot rely on this information , you can consult other dental headings in this forum
Good luck to your friend

GKG is right.It is GME funded and foriegn grads are not accepted.To b honest trying for it is a waste of time.AS would be the best option.I had a friend who wanted to come and infact came here and tried ,but in vain.Believe the forum,if there was an option half the people here would be doing that.

GKG said:
Hi !!! although i can guide you better to join AS but i guess for most of the OMFS programs one has to b a DDS/DMD program is four years , and many universities have funded programs, almost all schools participate in national matching services and mostly donnot accept direct application . But again donnot rely on this information , you can consult other dental headings in this forum
Good luck to your friend

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies.

So from what I understand , is it possible for her to come to US and complete her DDS and then try for the OMFS program?

what will be the overall cost for completing her DDS in US? and how can international students continue with their DDS in US after their BDS in India?
Are there any entrance exams they have to appear for ?

Yes !!! that would b right indeed , 1 rule is dental education is not cheap at all and there are no loop holes, your friend might want to take the part 1 examination ( NDBE) Which covers anatomy( gen) , biochemistry , physiology , microbiology , DA, pathology. She/ He might also take TOEFL ( english test which is mandatory,)i would like to mention that NDBE can b taken in US and Canada only, she/he can write to to ADA in chicaco for an application (www.ada.org), then browse through the website of various schools which offer the Advanced standing program, for specific school requirements( some require part2 too), remember a lot of schools donnot accept foreign students on F1 and take only immigrants or citizens, also get your dental school transcripts evaluated by ECE according to american grading system( mandatory) ( www.ECE.org)
All this is abroad outline, the other system is state licensure , which is valid in a few states but i donnot have sufficient information to comment upon it, again it will not qualify your frien d to pursue OMFS( i think), i would recommend that your friend browse this forum himself/ herself since he/she could gather more about things as a dentist
It sems awfully difficult and never ending --------- it is !!! takes a lot of faith and patience ( -----and meanwhile one gets pretty lonely), but remember people have done it , and SDN is a big help
Good luck :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Alright....let me clear some sh1t up!

First, as a foreign dentist, YES, you may apply to OMFS residencies in the U.S.! You do not have to be an U.S. dental degree graduate. Are these residencies common? NO, they are far and few between.

If and when you do get into an OMFS residency as a foreign dentist, you'll have to go back to your country and practice. You are NOT allowed to practice here in the U.S. because you do not have a DMD/DDS degree. You'll be not eligible for the OMFS board certicifications (written and oral).

How you get into an OMFS residency that accept a foreign dentist? That I have no idea. Which residency accept foreign dentist? Again, I have no idea! You as a foreign dentist have to do some research and find these OMFS residencies.

As matter of fact, I just spoke with one the these India graduated dentist who was an oral surgeon in India for 5 years, came to U.S., and couldn't practice. He went and did a year of OMFS internship at LSU and then got accepted here at Nova Dental as an Advance Standing dental student. He is now a 4th-year dental student (still wishes to pursue OMFS), but he can't because 99% of OMFS residencies requires a "green card" or an U.S. citizen. He is very bummed out right now because his selection of OMFS residencies are limited.

I know that foreign dentist CAN get into an OMFS residency here in the U.S. because I met one at LSU OMFS this summer! He's from Columbia and he does not have an U.S. DMD or DDS. He does however have a California practicing board certification.

As a foreign dentist, y'all have it tough all around (which it should be) and if you want to specialize, even tougher (again, which it should be)! Good luck.

Let me add something here.If you have a license usually they can issue a temp permit to do any progrema,but again the catch is citizeship.To apply for match you dont have to be an American grad.If any foriegn grad without a license is accepted into any program ,they will not be eligible for gme gunding.Precisesly GME funded program will no taccept them .But in university programs sometimes there might be some place ,you can say finding one will be hard.And as long as you can coomplete an accredited program you can take the boards.The boards look only for completion of an accredited program .It does not discriminate your basic degree.Finally ,like pepole say out here often ,it is a lot of work and the person interested has to sit down and work things out before even getting to the boards.