any psychology folks feel they are missing out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gaki

needs help
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
any psychology folks feel they are missing out on not having gone the psychiatry route? maybe are open to going for psychiatry studies one day?

and vice versa for psychiatry people who might be lurking around here..?

i am having a hard time deciding if i should go into psychology or psychiatry.

thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

gaki said:
any psychology folks feel they are missing out on not having gone the psychiatry route? maybe are open to going for psychiatry studies one day?

and vice versa for psychiatry people who might be lurking around here..?

i am having a hard time deciding if i should go into psychology or psychiatry.

thanks in advance!

Give it about 10 years, and psychologists will be prescribing psychotropic medications in more than half (if not most) U.S. States. Thus, by the time you're done training, whether it's MD/DO or PhD/PsyD, you'll be able to function as a pharmacotherapist and psychotherapist.

Click here for more information:

http://www.apa.org/apags/profdev/advancingprof.html

http://www.apa.org/apags/profdev/prespriv.html

http://www.prescribingpsychologist.com

http://www.prescribingpsychologist.com/Training Programs.htm

http://www.apa.org/divisions/div55/

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=118082

PublicHealth said:
Give it about 10 years, and psychologists will be prescribing psychotropic medications in more than half (if not most) U.S. States. Thus, by the time you're done training, whether it's MD/DO or PhD/PsyD, you'll be able to function as a pharmacotherapist and psychotherapist.

That's sad, and ridiculous. If psychologists want to be doctors, they should go to medical school. They are not sufficiently trained to prescribe medications of any kind and are merely trying to increase their billing power by infringing on the psychiatrist's scope of practice.

Members don't see this ad :)
stinkycheese said:
That's sad, and ridiculous. If psychologists want to be doctors, they should go to medical school. They are not sufficiently trained to prescribe medications of any kind and are merely trying to increase their billing power by infringing on the psychiatrist's scope of practice.

Whatever your opinion, it is happening, and psychiatrists (who are greatly outnumbered) are waging verbal wars against the persistent lobbying efforts of psychologists. Despite their efforts, some of their own (psychiatrists and primary care physicians) are actually supporting psychologists' efforts to obtain prescription privileges. The train has left the station and is gathering speed, my dear. Good luck trying to stop it.

PublicHealth said:
Whatever your opinion, it is happening, and psychiatrists (who are greatly outnumbered) are waging verbal wars against the persistent lobbying efforts of psychologists. Despite their efforts, some of their own (psychiatrists and primary care physicians) are actually supporting psychologists' efforts to obtain prescription privileges. The train has left the station and is gathering speed, my dear. Good luck trying to stop it.
Hey PublicHealth and stinkycheese,
I am generally undecided about the psychologists-should/n't-prescribe thing.. (but thanks for the links PublicHealth.. I am interested in this issue, even though I am undecided on my stance).

Anyway I was also wondering about wether or not any psychologists felt they were missing other aspects about medical training, that are related to prescription priveledges but are not necessarily the priveledge itself. This thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=81106 is kind of related to what I am talking about. Maybe some feel shortchanged on the "bio" aspect of the biopsychosocial?

A friend of mine told me about a situation with his wife. She had a lot of physical health problems and also rapidly fell into a depression. They went through 3 psychologists who recommended to put her on antidepressants, thinking she was very sick and it was interfering with her life and that she had lots of reasons to be depressed (I guess a health psychology pov?) The antidepressants were alright, but didn't really do much. A psychitrist who was also working with her took her off the antidepressants (where she got much worse), gave her a little break from meds, and then recommended some B12 for her. Then she got much better.

I am actually more interested in treatments involving psychotherapy and theory, but I am a little worried that psychology training alone would make me less able to recognize things like described in the situation above. Can anyone add some kind of insight into this?

Just a note: I made a similar post on the psychiatry board about wether or not they as psychiatry students feel they are missing aspects of psychology (like maybe education or research opportunities in theory or psychotherapy training, or anything generally associated with psychologists)

Thanks so much for your input so far!

I don't think that its necessarily true that psychiatrists are missing training in psychology. Those that want to practice psychotherapy and analysis have ample opportunities for training during residency and post-residency. I have worked with many psychiatrists and psychologists and I feel like both groups have strengths. I just don't think that any psychologist has the background or knowledge necessary to prescribe medication. For the record, I am also against OD's, chiropracter's, etc, prescribing meds. I think it's a job best left to MD's, DO's, and the mid-level practitioners working under them.

stinkycheese said:
I don't think that its necessarily true that psychiatrists are missing training in psychology. Those that want to practice psychotherapy and analysis have ample opportunities for training during residency and post-residency. I have worked with many psychiatrists and psychologists and I feel like both groups have strengths. I just don't think that any psychologist has the background or knowledge necessary to prescribe medication. For the record, I am also against OD's, chiropracter's, etc, prescribing meds. I think it's a job best left to MD's, DO's, and the mid-level practitioners working under them.

That's your opinion, and you're entitled to it. However, your opinion does not sway the efforts of the tens of thousands of psychologists seeking prescription privileges. Are you, "for the record," involved in lobbying against psychologists, optometrists, and chiropractors seeking prescription privileges? Judging by the tone of your posts, you're probably not. Moreover, you're likely a pre-med, medical student, resident, or physician with a "god complex" that obscures any open-mindedness and objectivity that would otherwise fuel good debate.

When discussing issues like this, one has to keep in mind that his or her opinion means nothing. It's who's in bed with legislators that decides such things.

PublicHealth said:
That's your opinion, and you're entitled to it. However, your opinion does not sway the efforts of the tens of thousands of psychologists seeking prescription privileges. Are you, "for the record," involved in lobbying against psychologists, optometrists, and chiropractors seeking prescription privileges? Judging by the tone of your posts, you're probably not. Moreover, you're likely a pre-med, medical student, resident, or physician with a "god complex" that obscures any open-mindedness and objectivity that would otherwise fuel good debate.

When discussing issues like this, one has to keep in mind that his or her opinion means nothing. It's who's in bed with legislators that decides such things.

Hold up. Yeah, its the legislators that are going to decide who has privileges to what in the end, but for now, psychologists don't have the training and aren't qualified to prescribe medications for their patients. I'm guessing new legislation means more extensive training, certification, and some sorts of internships in prescribing, meaning more training that coincides with that of a psychiatrist. Right now, psychologists don't get that kind of training.

In order to do that, you'd have to take a full medical history and know, I'm guessing, at least basic drug interactions and contraindications. I'm not in medical school so I'm just speaking from basic knowledge that I know from having a psychologist and psychiatrist myself and researching myself which pathway I want to go. So to answer the OP, I think that if you are interested in all the organic causes for psychiatric problems and want to be able to diagnose these organic problems (such as the vitamin B-12 deficiency you mentionned) and treat them, you'd be better off going to medical school right now and becoming a psychiatrist. Who knows whats going to happen in 10 years anyways?

Well, I do agree that if you really want to know about serious organic psychiatric diseases that require complex medicaley weren't knowledge you schould definitely go into psychiatry. They are certainly better equipped to handle patients with multiple medications or medical issues. However, I think the issue begins to blur for a person with AD/HD who has no other medical problems and needs strattera or a college student who is clinically depressed. I believe that a psychologist with an MS in psychopharmacology is well equipped to deal with those situations. And that leads me to my second point, I don't know what is going to happen 10 years from now, but I would definitely be concerned because either psychiatrists or psychologists are going to get squeezed in the future. And frankly after putting in the 7-8 years of training an a lot of money in either case I wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of that squeeze. As far as the B-12 issue goes, the psychologists that recommend that antidepressents, were they properly trained in psychopharm or not. If they weren't then I think it can be an argument for prescription rights because at least with legislation comes the certain training thatmust be completed. Frankly, I think it is more dangerous if untrained psychologists are giving these recommendations, even if technically they aren't allowed to.

Hi susannaQ, and thanks for joining in.

Do you think from what you have seen in the psychiatrist and psychologist that you know that psychologists are just not trained to identify organic problems? Or perhaps take longer to? Maybe a psychiatrist can spot them after 1 or 2 visits, but a psychologist would take longer, or maybe even have to have years of clinical experience to see them?

Also, do you think psychiatrists have adequate training in psychological theory and practice to handle psychotherapy on their own, even for clients who are more neuroses than severe mental illness? I know that psychiatrists can do some psychotherapy, but can they do it as well as psychologists (but perhaps usually just choose not to?)

Thanks much for your input so far!

PublicHealth said:

Which, by your tone of voice, implies that you think people who are not in bed with legislators have no right to debate their opinion on an internet forum because it just doesn't matter. Real smart, there.

For the record, I don't have a Gd complex. I have a safety complex. I actually care about the safety of my patients. I don't think that when medical professionals say they don't want RxP for PhD's, it is not an indication that we feel we are better than you, but more of an indication that we feel there are appropriate avenues to prescribing privileges, and graduate training in clinical psychology is not one of them-- weekend psychopharmacology course or not.

gaki said:
Also, do you think psychiatrists have adequate training in psychological theory and practice to handle psychotherapy on their own, even for clients who are more neuroses than severe mental illness? I know that psychiatrists can do some psychotherapy, but can they do it as well as psychologists (but perhaps usually just choose not to?)

Thanks much for your input so far!

It depends on the training, which is NOT uniform across either psychologists or psychiatrists. My psychiatrist is trained in psychotherapy, analysis, and of course, medical practice. He is an excellent psychotherapist. I am sure he is better than 90% of practitioners out there, whether they are MD's or PhD's. It is not the degree after your name, it is the training you seek out. MD's can be just as qualified to administer psychotherapy as a PhD, and in many cases, better equipped to provide comprehensive mental health care.

stinkycheese said:
Which, by your tone of voice, implies that you think people who are not in bed with legislators have no right to debate their opinion on an internet forum because it just doesn't matter. Real smart, there.

For the record, I don't have a Gd complex. I have a safety complex. I actually care about the safety of my patients. I don't think that when medical professionals say they don't want RxP for PhD's, it is not an indication that we feel we are better than you, but more of an indication that we feel there are appropriate avenues to prescribing privileges, and graduate training in clinical psychology is not one of them-- weekend psychopharmacology course or not.

From one of the above articles: Over 70% of psychotropic medication in the United States is currently prescribed by non-psychiatric physicians who have minimal training in the detection and management of mental and emotional problems. Psychologists are much better trained and equipped to accurately diagnose and treat mental disorders.

Funny, as I write this, Dateline NBC is discussing how easy it is to purchase narcotics and other controlled substances from "online pharmacies." One man died after overdosing on narcotics he purchased on-line. Apparently, physicians (the one interviewed was from the Netherlands) who "rubber stamp" these prescription requests are paid thousands of dollars per month to do so. A prescription for Valium was approved and delivered to the reporter's dog! According to the story, several physicians in the U.S. are involved in facilitating such prescription requests as well. Maybe psychologist prescribing is not so bad after all! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi stinkycheese, how does a psychiatrist insure that s/he has had enough training in psychotherapy?

I know there have been lists posted about psychiatry programs that have more emphasis on psychotherapy and such (and I took notes from those posts). I also heard of "analytic institutes" where people can get additional training.. how formal of a training is this? are they easy to find? The only institutes for further training in psychotherapy have been psychoanalytic institues in New York.. what alternatives are there and how easy are they to come by?

In any case, to the best of your knowledge, what else should a psychiatrist or would-be psychiatrist do, in your opinion?

Thanks much!

PublicHealth said:
From one of the above articles: Over 70% of psychotropic medication in the United States is currently prescribed by non-psychiatric physicians who have minimal training in the detection and management of mental and emotional problems. Psychologists are much better trained and equipped to accurately diagnose and treat mental disorders.

Nobody disagrees that psychologists are well-equipped to diagnosed mental health problems. This does not translate into being better-equipped than a family physician to dole out medications. Psychologists should work with medical personnel to obtain the best care for their patients; they shouldn't assume that it is safer or better to just dole out the meds themselves.

Funny, as I write this, Dateline NBC is discussing how easy it is to purchase narcotics and other controlled substances from "online pharmacies." One man died after overdosing on narcotics he purchased on-line. Apparently, physicians (the one interviewed was from the Netherlands) who "rubber stamp" these prescription requests are paid thousands of dollars per month to do so. A prescription for Valium was approved and delivered to the reporter's dog! According to the story, several physicians in the U.S. are involved in facilitating such prescription requests as well. Maybe psychologist prescribing is not so bad after all! :laugh:

A. What does this story have to do with the issue at hand?

B. Are you saying that since people can easily get illegal prescription drugs online, that we should just not care about who has prescribing privileges? Hey, let's give RxP to everybody, since you can get drugs online anyway! Loosening up regulations on prescription drugs is not the answer to a crisis of overavailability of dangerous drugs.

gaki said:
Hi stinkycheese, how does a psychiatrist insure that s/he has had enough training in psychotherapy?

I know there have been lists posted about psychiatry programs that have more emphasis on psychotherapy and such (and I took notes from those posts). I also heard of "analytic institutes" where people can get additional training.. how formal of a training is this? are they easy to find? The only institutes for further training in psychotherapy have been psychoanalytic institues in New York.. what alternatives are there and how easy are they to come by?

In any case, to the best of your knowledge, what else should a psychiatrist or would-be psychiatrist do, in your opinion?

Thanks much!

There are analytic institutes all over, not just in NY. There's a very well known training center in Boston. MD's can pursue post-doctoral/post-residency training in psychotherapy and analysis at these places. They should also seek residency programs with a heavy emphasis on training in psychotherapy, CBT, analysis, and other non-pharm aspects of psych.

Hmm can you name a few off the top of your head? I know it will be some time before I even get there, but some names to check out would be great. Are there a lot of quack ones to watch out for? If there are, how can you tell?

gaki, if you took the time to go look up ACGME-accredited psych residencies, you could find ones that suited you. fellowships are also available post-residency.

as for prescription privileges, well, let's take dentists for example. we go for them for dental care only and they are allowed to prescribe certain drugs such as painkillers, sedatives and antibiotics. they also have an extensive science education. if psychologists want the same privileges, then be my guest and take the same classes. if some psychologists don't want prescription privileges, then that can be an optional 1 or 2 year track, depending on the intensivity of the course load.

like stinkycheese stated, some weekend pharma course just isn't going to cut it. there can be some major drug interaction with concurrent medications or pathology: a very effective anti-psychotic that can cause diabetes which shall remain nameless cuz i'm sure you've all heard of that one (the last thing you need is a diabetic psychotic patient who, after years refusing to manage his diabetes, loses vision and limbs).

be very careful what you wish for, you just might get it. it's just my wishful thinking, as always, but i do hope that patients get the help and treatment they deserve.

-S

Thanks euromd, I didn't know about that ACGME thing.. I am looking it up now :)

here is the link to the ACGME website

http://www.acgme.org/adspublic/

on the left, click on "accredited programs".
then you can choose by specialty - Psychiatry.
the indented ones are fellowships - Addiction psychiatry

and for state "show all states" is at the bottom.

hope this helps.

-S

yes, this link was easy to find when you mentioned acgme :) thanks for the help :)

For the record, the training psychologists training to prescribe currently receive is not a "weekend pharmacology course." The programs are post-doctoral master's programs of typically 30 credit hours. They take 2-4 years to complete.

Graduates of the programs receive MORE training in pharmacology, psychopharmacology, and developmental psychopharmacology than in any medical school. Tennessee's program requires 226 didactic hours in these, while, according to www.AAMC.org, the average medical school provides just 99 didactic hours in all of pharmacology. You may not believe it, but it's true.

bcdenis said:
For the record, the training psychologists training to prescribe currently receive is not a "weekend pharmacology course." The programs are post-doctoral master's programs of typically 30 credit hours. They take 2-4 years to complete.

Graduates of the programs receive MORE training in pharmacology, psychopharmacology, and developmental psychopharmacology than in any medical school. Tennessee's program requires 226 didactic hours in these, while, according to www.AAMC.org, the average medical school provides just 99 didactic hours in all of pharmacology. You may not believe it, but it's true.

Great point. People call these programs "weekend pharmacology" because the courses are typically offered every other weekend for about two years (some have on-line and face-to-face coursework). The reason for this is that psychologists who attend these programs work during the week.

I would imagine that as time goes on, some of these programs will allow students to complete the curriculum in 1-2 years full-time/during the week, if they don't already allow students to do so (http://pn.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/full/39/15/1). Of course, clinical psychology programs should also offer students the option of taking pharmacology courses in graduate school in order to better prepare them for postdoctoral training in clinical psychopharmacology. Perhaps a combined PhD/PsyD in clinical psychology and MS in clinical psychopharmacology is in order?

I was one of the people who called it a "weekend pharma course". However, after reading the link, I will say that the course is slightly more in depth than I originally thought. I believe I saw the words neurosience and pathophysiology. But no biochem??? That is the crux of it all!!

But on the other hand, a psychiatrist who has done pre-med, med school, residency and sometimes a fellowship, pretty much only prescribes medications that a psychologist wants to do after taking none of these courses. It is also grossly unfair and simplistic to compair the actual "pharmacology" class, as bcdenis pointed out, as this knowledge is hugely expanded upon in residency and fellowship.

The article even states that: " In total, when most psychiatrists go into practice on their own, they usually have nine years or more of biomedical education backing up their legal right to sign a prescription."

When your patients start having unusual bruising or suicidal tendencies since they have started valproic acid, or, frequent urination, excessive thirst, extreme hunger, rapid weight loss, fatigue and irritability and mood changes since they've started risperidone, who will order the lab tests? Wouldn't you need to refer the patient to a doctor? Wouldn't it have been better to have these patients supervised by someone who could do something in the first place?

I am all for patient safety. I will go back to my dentist example. They have limited prescription privileges yet have to take pre-med courses and dental school course similar to that of med school. I did say similar, not very similar and not identical. Dentists also have to do a residency. Their biomedical background is much more extensive than a psychologist with prescription privileges. That should be the precedent.

-S

euromd said:
I was one of the people who called it a "weekend pharma course". However, after reading the link, I will say that the course is slightly more in depth than I originally thought. I believe I saw the words neurosience and pathophysiology. But no biochem??? That is the crux of it all!!

Wrong. Most programs require biochemistry.

euromd said:
Wouldn't you need to refer the patient to a doctor? Wouldn't it have been better to have these patients supervised by someone who could do something in the first place?

Have you read any of the relevant literature on psychologist RxP? Have you read the New Mexico or Louisiana laws? Are you aware of what psychologists have to go through before they can independently prescribe? Have you ever met an MS-trained psychologist?

You should also look into the literature that suggests that psychologists are better diagnosticians than psychiatrists. Combine this problem of misdiagnosis with that of overmedication and now you're really looking out for the patient's best interests. Behavioral healthcare is a mess. No one will deny that. The question is how do we clean it up? I'm not so sure giving psychologists RxP is the best way to do that, but it may increase access to psychopharmacotherapeutic care in regions of the country that do not have such care readily available.

People fear change. Most psychiatrists as well as some dinosaur psychologists fear equipping psychologists with RxP. The "what ifs" race through their minds. Over time, however, psychologists in NM and LA will most likely demonstrate that they could prescribe safely and effectively as was shown in the DoD project. When optometrists first suggested that they wanted to prescribe for diagnostic purposes, ophthalmologists were in an uproar! Some even threatened to cut off all ties from optometrists. But what has happened since then? ODs now safely and effectively prescribe for diagnostic AND therapeutic purposes in all 50 U.S. states. PAs and APRNs are even prescribing, and with MUCH less training than psychiatrists.

Your "holier than thou" argument does not hold water. American healthcare is undergoing substantial change and is shifting toward having a greater number of nonphysician healthcare providers serving the public. Managed care loves it. But is what is good for business necessarily good for the people?

I understand the anger on both sides of this argument, and I think alot of it comes (from both sides) directly from ignorance. Most psychiatrists have no idea what the breadth and depth of RxP training is, and they assume psychologists are taking some trumped up CEU course hoping to write scripts and then hoping all goes well. This is not the case, nor would any psychologist I know stand for this professionally or ethically. Psychologists assume that MD's have a clue what RxP is; they do not. Psychologists need to educate the medical community about what this training entails and what it would allow/not allow. Most programs I have seen are comparable in depth to a FNP program, but clinically focused on psych/med issues. Does this mean they do not include biochem, pathophys, phys assessment, labs etc.., No! They all do, as well they should. There is much to say about this, but I feel the best thing psychologists can do is begin to educate MD's about this training. ;)

psisci said:
I understand the anger on both sides of this argument, and I think alot of it comes (from both sides) directly from ignorance. Most psychiatrists have no idea what the breadth and depth of RxP training is, and they assume psychologists are taking some trumped up CEU course hoping to write scripts and then hoping all goes well. This is not the case, nor would any psychologist I know stand for this professionally or ethically. Psychologists assume that MD's have a clue what RxP is; they do not. Psychologists need to educate the medical community about what this training entails and what it would allow/not allow. Most programs I have seen are comparable in depth to a FNP program, but clinically focused on psych/med issues. Does this mean they do not include biochem, pathophys, phys assessment, labs etc.., No! They all do, as well they should. There is much to say about this, but I feel the best thing psychologists can do is begin to educate MD's about this training. ;)

Excellent point. Psychiatrists have already begun to educate themselves about these programs. A recent issue of Psychiatric News actually had an article describing current postdoctoral clinical psychopharmacology training programs for psychologists (http://pn.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/short/39/15/1). Note that some of the newer programs (e.g., http://cecoe.tamu.edu/psychopharm/) were not included in this review. Whether or not current MS training in clinical psychopharmacology provides an appropriate level of basic medical education has been discussed in the now epic thread on psychologist RxP in the psychiatry forum.

PublicHealth,

you are a freaking hypocrite of the highest order. In 10 or 15 years, when they have special MS programs in psychology that combine pharmacology training, you will have masters level therapists pushing for script rights, and you will be on the front lines declaring how they are unqualified.

You want all psychologists to have script access? Fine, but its going to cost you down the road. Surely you dont believe that only doctoral level professionals are going to write psych scripts do you? You are contributing to the pandoras box phenomenon.

Midlevels and outsiders have been screaming for 30 years about how we need to expand script rights so more people supposedly have access to health care. What a joke. There are now more "underserved" areas in medicine ever.

New Mexico, Louisiana, and the other states will bear this out. I GUARANTEE YOU in 10 years there wont be one iota of difference in access to healthcare in these states. Psychologists love the big cities just as much as the psychiatrists.

MacGyver said:
PublicHealth,

you are a freaking hypocrite of the highest order. In 10 or 15 years, when they have special MS programs in psychology that combine pharmacology training, you will have masters level therapists pushing for script rights, and you will be on the front lines declaring how they are unqualified.

You want all psychologists to have script access? Fine, but its going to cost you down the road. Surely you dont believe that only doctoral level professionals are going to write psych scripts do you? You are contributing to the pandoras box phenomenon.

Midlevels and outsiders have been screaming for 30 years about how we need to expand script rights so more people supposedly have access to health care. What a joke. There are now more "underserved" areas in medicine ever.

New Mexico, Louisiana, and the other states will bear this out. I GUARANTEE YOU in 10 years there wont be one iota of difference in access to healthcare in these states. Psychologists love the big cities just as much as the psychiatrists.

Same tired argument. :sleep: Do you have any thoughts of your own on this topic or do you plan on plagiarizing all of purpledoc's and anasazi's comments from the original thread?

PublicHealth said:
Wrong. Most programs require biochemistry.
Then you should have posted that link. If you are talking about undergrad, then you are sadly mistaken.

Have you read any of the relevant literature on psychologist RxP? Have you read the New Mexico or Louisiana laws? Are you aware of what psychologists have to go through before they can independently prescribe? Have you ever met an MS-trained psychologist?
Let's just assume everyone is american!!! In my country, no psychologist has RxP. However, I know that as we are the neighbour to the north of the USA, this will one day affect us. And I know 2 people finishing their PhDs in psych, one in clinical, the other in experimental. I also knew a PsyD too a few years back. This has all been well discussed at the dinner table many times over.

You should also look into the literature that suggests that psychologists are better diagnosticians than psychiatrists.
Depends what, but certain things definitely.

Combine this problem of misdiagnosis with that of overmedication and now you're really looking out for the patient's best interests.
Overmedication is my pet peeve. However, patients notoriously "forget" what medications they are taking and "forget" to tell all their doctors and other health care providers all their current medications. Co-morbidity is often a huge factor. And is doling out RxP to everyone going to solve the overmedication problem?

Behavioral healthcare is a mess. No one will deny that. The question is how do we clean it up? I'm not so sure giving psychologists RxP is the best way to do that, but it may increase access to psychopharmacotherapeutic care in regions of the country that do not have such care readily available.
I 100% agree with you on that first part. But as for the second, just because a psychologist has RxP does not mean they're going to move to an underserved community. Same as doctors don't want to go there. There are inherent reasons for wanting to stay in a large city - $$$

People fear change.
We all fear change. Gimme a break!!

Most psychiatrists as well as some dinosaur psychologists fear equipping psychologists with RxP. The "what ifs" race through their minds. Over time, however, psychologists in NM and LA will most likely demonstrate that they could prescribe safely and effectively as was shown in the DoD project. When optometrists first suggested that they wanted to prescribe for diagnostic purposes, ophthalmologists were in an uproar! Some even threatened to cut off all ties from optometrists. But what has happened since then? ODs now safely and effectively prescribe for diagnostic AND therapeutic purposes in all 50 U.S. states. PAs and APRNs are even prescribing, and with MUCH less training than psychiatrists.
We are still ignoring the dentist example, but I'll let you avoid. It must be serving some purpose. PAs must prescribe under a supervising physician. Different states have different supervision laws and often the physician has some discretion over that as well.

Your "holier than thou" argument does not hold water.
My "holier than thou" argument actually doesn't differ much from yours.

American healthcare is undergoing substantial change and is shifting toward having a greater number of nonphysician healthcare providers serving the public. Managed care loves it. But is what is good for business necessarily good for the people?
Change is inevitable. As health care providers physician and nonphysician, we are ultimately responsible to and for our patients. Managed care is not!

-S

this is the second time i have seen it stated in a thread that psychologists might be better diagnosticians than psychiatrists. i have tried looking for information on this but i have not found any. one person said that this is just not true.

can you paste any links or names of articles or researchers i should be looking for for more information about this? anyone anyone?

gaki said:
this is the second time i have seen it stated in a thread that psychologists might be better diagnosticians than psychiatrists. i have tried looking for information on this but i have not found any. one person said that this is just not true.

can you paste any links or names of articles or researchers i should be looking for for more information about this? anyone anyone?

Its just more BS pandering by PublicHealth. There is no truth to the claim.

well like I said, PublicHealth is not the only one who has posted about this. One other poster from like 2002 was concerned about the same thing (i cant find the thread now :p), and even euromd seems to acknowledge there might be something to it, but that it is not necessarily so one-sided. I am just wondering what their sources are so I can read about it too.

about psychiatrists and psychologists and their strengths/weaknesses as diagnosticians - well, I think it's all in their training.

A psychiatrist approaches a patient from a biomedical point of view and asks medical questions such as allergies, previous surgeries, current health problems and current medications as well as affective questions. This goes to establishing potential differential diagnosis as their could be multiple causes to depression (for example).

A psychologist looks at how emotions contribute to physical health, among other things. Now this works if the root cause of the patients depression is not a side effect of a med, or tumor, etc., but truly an affective problem. The patient's mental and emotional state than also contributes + and - to his/her physical health.

I think that these are just two ways of looking at the same problem, one not being better than the other. But both sides have to be aware of the inherent differences and limitations of the practices each.

-S

In order for these clowns to get prescription rights they need to be supervised by a physician while they train. So as a physician just refuse to contribute to this "mini-psychiatrist" training. After all what they want is just a slice of the pie that psychiatrists have access to. I for one, will never refer a patient to one of these undertrained clowns.

I for one, will never refer a patient to one of these undertrained clowns.

And I, for one, will never refer my clients to you or similarly minded physicians for physical health needs. Do some research on psychologists' training before you make ignorant statements.

lazure said:
I for one, will never refer a patient to one of these undertrained clowns.

And I, for one, will never refer my clients to you or similarly minded physicians for physical health needs. Do some research on psychologists' training before you make ignorant statements.

You make it sound as if you are a gatekeeper who will decide which patient is referred to whom. I doubt that, as a psychologist, you would be referring many patients to MDs. When a patient of yours needs a doc, he/she won't come to you to ask you if/when he or she could see a doctor. They will just go to one. You are vastly overstating your importance in an area in which you have no leverage.
I would venture to say that your referral note would look something like this:

"Dear Dr. So and So. I have a patient whom I have been treating for the past three years for a broken heart s/p past relationship gone awry and now she needs to see you for ...hmmm....well I am not sure but maybe you can figure it out" :laugh:

siguanabo said:
You make it sound as if you are a gatekeeper who will decide which patient is referred to whom. I doubt that, as a psychologist, you would be referring many patients to MDs. When a patient of yours needs a doc he/she won't come to you to ask you if/when he or she could see a doctor. They will just go to one. You are vastly overstating your importance in an area in which you have no leverage.
I woud venture to say that your referral note would look something like this:

"Dear Dr. So and So. I have a patient whom I have been treating for the past three years for a broken heart s/p past relationship gone awry and now she needs to see you for ...hmmm....well I am not sure but maybe you can figure it out" :laugh:

Is siguanabo really MacGyver? :scared: :scared:

Is siguanabo really MacGyver?

It doesn't matter.... but God bless their patients... :rolleyes:

Hi euromd, thanks again for entertaining my questions..
Although the usual scope of psychiatry and psychology may have traditional limitations, have psychiatrists and psychologists as individuals really been limited as to the scope of their understanding and practice of their clients/patients (excluding the prescriptive thing)? Is it so unusual for a psychologist to not recognize affective symptoms of a physical illness? Is it so unusual for a psychiatrist to identify and help work through problems that are not obviously tied to physiological illness?

gaki,

A psychiatrist will try to eliminate physiological illness as the source of the affective symptom that the patient may be displaying. And this is done by taking a patient history at the first appointment, and, if pertinent, health questions at subsequent appointments.

I'm not saying that a psychologist wouldn't recognize affective symptoms as having underlying physiological causes, but that the nature in training and approach to the patient means that it could delay the recognition.

Treating the patient for depression due to a broken heart (that was funny post), but the patient isn't getting better.... Finding out months (or years) later that the depression started at the onset of a new medication or a change in dosage, is a very easily, cheaply and quickly treatable problem. Some psychologist are more astute at identifying physiological causes and do not always think their patients are somatizing, however, some psychiatrists think that all mental problems are biomedical ones that need no therapy, only pharmacotherapy. I disagree there as well.

I think that once the problem for the patient has been clearly identified, physical or affective, than s/he is then able to make the decision to seek appropriate treatment. Both professionals have their place and neither one can replace the other.

-S