Official Baylor College of Medicine entering class 2005

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crazy eyes

_
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all:
I know its early, but I wanted to start the Baylor College of Medicine entering class of 2005 thread. I am a medical student and at Baylor. Please feel free to post your comments, questions, and messages here as I know that other Baylor students and future Baylor students will frequent this site. The first interview session begins 9/10, newest feature to the school is a brand new M.D., J.D. 6 year combined program with one of the top "Health Law" schools in the country- University of Houston.
Happy Posting.
Remember that this is not really official and that this is student to student advise, take it all with a grain of salt.

Members don't see this ad.

hey-

i was complete on 8/11 (i confirmed this with the office) but havent heard anything yet. do you knwo whether the first batch of apps are still being reviewed? i would call the admissions office, but i dont want to annoy them with questions.

thanks
y

I heard Baylor med students have the stigma of being rich kids with many family ties in medicine. Do you find this true? What's the social environment like there? Diversity? Houston? Just curious, thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the encouragement, Crazyeyes. My app was also complete in early August and I haven't heard anything yet. Perhaps there is hope? Only time will tell.

Great thread, btw. :thumbup:

I'm surfacing just to welcome the first batch of interviewees, say hello to any fellow '08ers that are still using the Internet for recreational purposes once in a while (Googling long medical words doesn't count), and invite this year's applicants to hit us with any more questions.

There's also an info-packed thread we had going last year if you want to read through it ...

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=118650

It's pretty busy around here, so I'll just be checking back once in a while, but WELCOME, let us know if you have questions, and good luck!

uic1999 said:
I heard Baylor med students have the stigma of being rich kids with many family ties in medicine. Do you find this true? What's the social environment like there? Diversity? Houston? Just curious, thanks.

I think the answer to this would be ... we WISH we were rich kids :rolleyes: I think there are a couple of people in the class who have parents who are well off, but keep in mind that by now most people are cut loose and feeling the love from student loans, even if their parents paid for college. As for family ties in medicine - I've heard all sorts of family background stories. So it's not skewed one way or the other really.

Anyway, our class (08) is diverse culturally, socioeconomically, geographically, educationally, temporally (?? in age I mean) and especially diverse in our interests, which is what makes for a great educational experience.

I have GOT to get off the computer and go to class.

curlycity said:
I think the answer to this would be ... we WISH we were rich kids :rolleyes: I think there are a couple of people in the class who have parents who are well off, but keep in mind that by now most people are cut loose and feeling the love from student loans, even if their parents paid for college. As for family ties in medicine - I've heard all sorts of family background stories. So it's not skewed one way or the other really.

Anyway, our class (08) is diverse culturally, socioeconomically, geographically, educationally, temporally (?? in age I mean) and especially diverse in our interests, which is what makes for a great educational experience.

I have GOT to get off the computer and go to class.

How old is the oldest member of your class?

yeeester said:
i would call the admissions office, but i dont want to annoy them with questions.

I called them yesterday to check if they received all my materials and this is what they told me:

Lady: Yes we have received your application and fee and your application has been reviewed.
Me: :eek:, oh..it's already been reviewed?
Lady: Yes.

*awkward 15 second silence*

Me: So.. um...
Lady: Oh, if you receive an interview, it will come by email. (I checked my email before I called) :(
Me: Oh, ok thanks a bunch, have a nice day. Bye.
Lady: Bye.

:confused: :( :scared:

What is the average MCAT and average GPA for students accepted to Baylor last year?

MechE said:
What is the average MCAT and average GPA for students accepted to Baylor last year?

3.8/34

3.76/33.6

the averages must have slipped down slightly ;)

Those numbers are listed in the new "about Baylor" (or "Where your dreams become reality") guide that I picked up on Tuesday...

Hey, thanks for making this thread. I was curious, if you're not early decision, how long does it take to find out your acceptance/rejection after the interview?

rcooney said:
How old is the oldest member of your class?

I'm 27, and I haven't actually met anyone older yet. Maybe they're just not telling ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
there are people in their early thirties in this year's class.

curlycity said:
I'm 27, and I haven't actually met anyone older yet. Maybe they're just not telling ;)
:laugh: I've got you by several years, hon.

I'm in my 30's. I haven't heard of anyone over 34, but it's not like I go around asking people about their age.

To the person who asked about notification of acceptance. Baylor is funny about that. We have a truly rolling acceptance policy. Some people are accepted within 2 weeks of their interview. Others, like me, had to wait a month or two. Others are accepted in the Spring or off the waitlist. It's a big waiting game once you interview. Not hearing right away is not a bad sign. (unless you develop an ulcer while waiting..)

I second the offer to answer any questions that people have, especially interviewees who have questions after the interview. Feel free to PM me, I don't get on SDN nearly as often now that we're in the thick of Fall I.

TexasRose said:
:laugh: I've got you by several years, hon.

I'm in my 30's. I haven't heard of anyone over 34, but it's not like I go around asking people about their age.

Well, you look cuuuuuuuuuuute :D

Good luck on the block exam!

By the way, Ackland's Anatomy is the best thing that's happened to me all fall. I don't know if it's one to watch with the kiddoes, but it's worth studying along with for sure if you can get a copy. They have VHS in the library and DVD on the market.

Interview:

Baylor was awesome. Thanks to all the students who helped show us around and everything.

I really hope I get in!!! :scared:

Yeah, I got those 3.76/33.6 numbers from the latest book, so if there are newer ones I'd like to know. Actually an MS1 told me they went up, so I wouldn't be surprised.

crazy eyes said:
for the sake of the applicants lets try to keep the discussions on THIS thread pertinent to admissions questions and not first year questions :) . Please dont take that comment the wrong way- I am not trying to be rude ;) . Would love to answer any questions you had about classes etc via pm. Love ya. :thumbup:

:love: It's cool.

So to any of you interviewees that went out to Two Rows, went on the guided tours, etc., I can promise you the mentoring and socializing continues, quite vigorously, once you get here. Our orientation events and the continuing help from our PRN (peer resource network) 1st-4th year members have been awesome. I have a folder full of all the charts and graphs that have been sent out to help us with our Block I exams, and several evites sitting in my inbox for stuff to look forward to afterwards.

Back to the charts and graphs and stuff :rolleyes: :D

crazy eyes said:
Great. What was your favorite part of the admissions day? How did the interview experience compare to your other recent interviews? So, for the record now that you have visited, are we all geeks and nerds or are we normal and like to have fun?
baylor had the coolest set of students, id say. the interview was great (though dr. phillips kind of scared the **** out of me). definitely my #1 choice in texas, and possibly overall.

as for southwestern: the experience in parkland seems like a great learning experience, since they throw you to the wolves, but almost seems like too much too soon for a 3rd/4th year.

IndyZX said:
baylor had the coolest set of students, id say. the interview was great (though dr. phillips kind of scared the **** out of me). definitely my #1 choice in texas, and possibly overall.

the experience in parkland seems like a great learning experience, since they throw you to the wolves, but almost seems like too much too soon for a 3rd/4th year.
Dr Phillips scared you? He does cut an imposing figure sometimes, but he's a really great person. He expects great things from his students, but he also stands behind us, 100%.

Did you interview with him? Now that would be scary! lol

just teasing! Good luck!!!

TexasRose said:
Dr Phillips scared you? He does cut an imposing figure sometimes, but he's a really great person. He expects great things from his students, but he also stands behind us, 100%.

Did you interview with him? Now that would be scary! lol

just teasing! Good luck!!!
Yeah, I did interview with him. He seemed nice enough, he was just very serious and I was never able to feel totally comfortable like with some of my other interviewers. I think it went ok, though.

Hey, I had EXACTLY the same impression during my interview with Dr. Phillips. He seemed really nice, really genuine, etc...but he didn't really "get into" the interview and so I have no clue how he felt about me. I guess I'll just have to accept that fact that I won't be resting well for (at least) a few weeks.

I liked the student panel part of the interview day a lot. I thought it was totally obvious that the students were really happy and their answers weren't "pre-recorded" or cheesy. I also liked the clinical tour and the basic sciences tour. My tour guides were great. Lots of humor and energy.

But Dr. Phillips scared me. haha

IndyZX said:
Yeah, I did interview with him. He seemed nice enough, he was just very serious and I was never able to feel totally comfortable like with some of my other interviewers. I think it went ok, though.
He is a pretty serious guy. But don't worry about it, he's usually that way, even with students. He has an air of formality about him. ;)

So glad that you guys enjoyed your interviews. Hope we'll be welcoming some more SDNers next August!

generic said:

This is so funny - I've told this story before, but when I interviewed last year, I was called down out of the lecture hall and he loomed over me and said, Are we cousins, young lady? [b/c we have the same last name, but I swear I had no idea what he was talking about b/c I didn't look at his name tag]. And I just looked up at him like, well I don't know what the right answer is to this question, I'm thinking about my opinions of managed care and my motivations to enter medicine... so he kept talking to me, and I thought he was quite a serious gentleman at first, but he is simply a very imposing teddy bear. He falls asleep everywhere, which is sort of endearing in such a dedicated guy.

Good luck after the interviews - I didn't know what to think of half of mine either, so don't fret about it. It's out of your hands now - although I'm not sure if that's a comforting thought!

generic said:
Hey, I had EXACTLY the same impression during my interview with Dr. Phillips. He seemed really nice, really genuine, etc...but he didn't really "get into" the interview and so I have no clue how he felt about me. I guess I'll just have to accept that fact that I won't be resting well for (at least) a few weeks.

I liked the student panel part of the interview day a lot. I thought it was totally obvious that the students were really happy and their answers weren't "pre-recorded" or cheesy. I also liked the clinical tour and the basic sciences tour. My tour guides were great. Lots of humor and energy.

hey, what time was your interview with him? mine was at 1:30. if you interviewed at 1 or 2, then we probably saw each other.

crazyeyes-

does baylor send out rejection letters or emails? i am traveling to houston on business and would like to know if i am rejected or not. i was complete very early and havent heard anything (i called, no information).

thanks
y

curlycity said:
This is so funny - I've told this story before, but when I interviewed last year, I was called down out of the lecture hall and he loomed over me and said, Are we cousins, young lady? [b/c we have the same last name, but I swear I had no idea what he was talking about b/c I didn't look at his name tag]. And I just looked up at him like, well I don't know what the right answer is to this question, I'm thinking about my opinions of managed care and my motivations to enter medicine... so he kept talking to me, and I thought he was quite a serious gentleman at first, but he is simply a very imposing teddy bear. He falls asleep everywhere, which is sort of endearing in such a dedicated guy.

Good luck after the interviews - I didn't know what to think of half of mine either, so don't fret about it. It's out of your hands now - although I'm not sure if that's a comforting thought!

That's hilarious!!! Especially knowing what you look like and what he looks like!! And, yeah, I have yet to see him stay awake during a single talk we've had.

For those of you interviewing and wondering when you might hear, it might help you (or pain you, depending on how desparately you want to go to Baylor) to hear that I completed my application last year around September something, interviewed late November and was accepted mid-April. Yeah, that was a freakin' long wait. But it was worth it!

Well, I could have waited just a tad longer for the histology portion of the exam this week, but that's for another forum...

IndyZX,

I had my interview with Dr. Phillips at 3PM, so I guess I probably didn't see you, but I saw someone else who had a 2:30. But from what I've read of you I don't think it was you (ethnicity)...hehe.

Anyway I was trying to figure out what SDNers were there last Friday but I didn't get anywhere. Oh well...hopefully if I get in to BCM I can have plenty of time to meet my fellow internet junkies later...

Does Baylor send out rejections early into the app season or fairly late (feb, march)? I have been complete since mid august and haven't heard anything.

medicinehopeful said:
Does Baylor send out rejections early into the app season or fairly late (feb, march)? I have been complete since mid august and haven't heard anything.
Like crazyeyes said in the post before yours, Baylor doesn't usually send out rejection letters. I believe they do a lot of ranking and reranking as the season goes on. You could still hear from them for an interview.

Good luck to everyone interviewing on Friday! I may be at the Two Rows thing Fri evening, so if you want to make yourself known, PM me.

TexasRose said:
Like crazyeyes said in the post before yours, Baylor doesn't usually send out rejection letters. I believe they do a lot of ranking and reranking as the season goes on. You could still hear from them for an interview.

Good luck to everyone interviewing on Friday! I may be at the Two Rows thing Fri evening, so if you want to make yourself known, PM me.
She'll be the one carrying a big nut.

I'll be there too - I'll wear a Columbia t-shirt for easy ID.

Yeeeaaah! I'm officially in the BCM entering class of 2005! Thanks to Dr. Michael for the phone call...haha. I'm so happy. Baylor's gonna rock! :D

generic said:
Yeeeaaah! I'm officially in the BCM entering class of 2005! Thanks to Dr. Michael for the phone call...haha. I'm so happy. Baylor's gonna rock! :D

Congrats! BTW, were you early decision? I didn't think Baylor began accepting until Oct. 15???

generic said:

Wow...congratulations! That is totally awesome.

Yeah sorry I should have said I was EDP so that people wouldn't get all scared (we pre-meds are a jittery lot, eh?). I am indeed EDP and I found out today, 2 days before the Oct. 1 deadline.

generic said:
Yeah sorry I should have said I was EDP so that people wouldn't get all scared (we pre-meds are a jittery lot, eh?). I am indeed EDP and I found out today, 2 days before the Oct. 1 deadline.

That sounds wonderful! Best of luck to you!

Congratulations, generic, and welcome to the Baylor family. Where'd you go to undergrad, are you from Texas, and do you have any idea what you might be interested in?

generic said:

Congrats :D :thumbup: Yeah, Dr Michael is a very nice person, I bet that phone call was so exciting. Dr. Phillip can definitely be intimidating :eek: but He does care if you have a sincere interest in medicine. Well, I sure hope to get into Baylor, they are my top choice :love: Of course, I expect a prompt rejection from them, so I won't get my hopes up. Oh wel, I just want to be a doctor, so hopefully we'll all get in somewhere. Good luck everyone on applying, and crazy eyes, put in a good word for me ;)

crazy eyes said:
Sure, I will be on the look out for "Alexander Pink's" file, but I doubt I find anyone by that name. BTW we dont have any say in the actual admission decision, we just score the interveiw and apps we review- Admissions is all Dr. Michaels.

:D Thanks Crazy eyes, yeah, I know it's Dr. Michaels, he is the man. He's so nice! Anyhow, I doub't I'll even get an interview, though they are my top choice, wh ich I expressed to them, so maybe I'll get lucky :D

Hello! I applied to Baylor and completed my supplemental application on 9/8. According to the website, my file is complete. Additionally, I marked that BCM should review my application without my August MCAT score, which comes out in a few days. Would BCM now consider my August MCAT score if they have not already made a decision on my application? (I'll probably call about this on Monday, but if any of you know the answer, your help would be greatly appreciated!) :) Thanks!

crazy eyes said:
Anyone interview 10/8?
I interviewed 10/8! I really liked Baylor. I hope I get in. =)

RunMimi said:
To the Baylor Med students: do you think its reasonable to hope for a phone call this Friday if we interviewed in September? Do they just put most people on hold? Thanks so much--the waiting is driving me nuts!!!

I was wondering about this as well...how many people do they call at a time?

I dont think they admit a lot of ppl at first.. trying to remember what they said at the program lol...

hey crazy eyes, did i meet you on interview day? i was there on 10/8... were you involved in tours at all? what year are you, btw?

Does anyone know how long it takes to hear back about an interview invitation? My file was complete somewhere around the early part of September and I haven't heard anything.

texasaggie2005 said:
Does anyone know how long it takes to hear back about an interview invitation? My file was complete somewhere around the early part of September and I haven't heard anything.

bump

crazy eyes said:
You are now in the very long wait period. Once the August MCATS come out, the wait to hear is much longer as they have all those applications to re-review. The exact answer is that no one knows, every case is different. If you have stellar MCATs and stellar GPA you should hear fairly quickly. If your scores are somewhat near the Baylor average (3.7 / 34) it might take longer, if they are below the average it might take even longer than that. Big generalization, but realistically only the Dean and his assistants know when you are coming and they wont tell anyone but you.

I think their review time is pretty quick: I applied late (9/30 or so), and my turn around time was less than a week.

kikkoman said:
I think their review time is pretty quick: I applied late (9/30 or so), and my turn around time was less than a week.
Really? Congrats! I've been complete since late August and haven't heard anything back. I'm out of state, but I'm starting to get just a little nervous.