Got a job as ER Tech

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Freakingzooming

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys:

Kinda excited or well pumped. Got a job offer as a full time PM ER tech at St. Francis Hospital in Evanston. It's a level 1 trauma center.

I was wondering what I should expect. Anyone have any advice or tips to start off with? There are 20 beds and a chest pain center sorta in the ER. Director was amazingly nice, looking forward to working soon.

I'm a little worried about the PM shift, 3 to 11 pm.

Members don't see this ad.

you will become the king of all scut but learn a lot in the process. I worked as an er tech for a few yrs before medic school and found it a very valuable experience. best of luck.
ps 3-11 is a swing shift. it really starts rocking on the 11p-7a shift!

I don't know...3-11 has its own charm. You will see many amazing things and you will learn that there is nothing that the human species will not do or try. I have been in this business 15 years and I am still astounded.

Have fun!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations!!! Sounds like an awesome job. The ER is is truly the best of times and the worst of times. I recommend reading the "what I learned from my patients" thread in the EM Forum of you haven't already. It will be prepare you for the wonderful, wacky world that is your local ED.

I am currently doing my second EM elective in med school. Each day I sign up to do a shift I grouch and complain about being tired, all the work I have to do, and just want to go home - until I walk through the ED doors. Once I'm there I just get sucked in and always end up staying an hour or two extra. Yesterday, I had three hours sleep, a four hour exam (8am-12pm), lecture (12:15-2:45). Despite my exhaustion and even though there wasn't much going on in the ED, I still ended up doing a 5 hour shift and left totally pumped for more.

Reactions: 1 user
emedpa said:
you will become the king of all scut but learn a lot in the process. I worked as an er tech for a few yrs before medic school and found it a very valuable experience. best of luck.
ps 3-11 is a swing shift. it really starts rocking on the 11p-7a shift!

yep, I work 6p - 6a, that's when the fun really starts in the ED.

bean said:
Each day I sign up to do a shift I grouch and complain about being tired, all the work I have to do, and just want to go home - until I walk through the ED doors. Once I'm there I just get sucked in and always end up staying an hour or two extra. Yesterday, I had three hours sleep, a four hour exam (8am-12pm), lecture (12:15-2:45). Despite my exhaustion and even though there wasn't much going on in the ED, I still ended up doing a 5 hour shift and left totally pumped for more.
That's the stuff! I work part-time as a tech, because I have not yet escaped Dilbert-land. I work from 8 to 4:30 in my cubicle, walk the 4 blocks to the county ED (urban trauma), and do another 6 to 9 hours there. At the end of my ED shift, around midnight, I feel tired, but good tired.

To the OP, here are some pearls of tech wisdom from my last 10 months (plus 6 months prior as a volunteer) :

1) Embrace the scut. In the future, yes, you will be "above" scut tasks like hauling laundry bags, scooping poop from patients' clothing, and wiping surfaces down with Sani-wipes... so content yourself that this too shall pass. On the other hand, in the future you will have your own definition of scut, whether it's disimpacting bowels as an MSIV, checking rectal tone and guiac on trauma pts as an intern, or managing the politics of a department full of crazy people as a Chief. There will always be something you don't like; the cool thing about it is, as a tech you get to confront that fact now and make your peace with it. If you do, this skill will be yours forever.

2) Don't be shy. People are techs for lots of reasons, and there are lots of different kinds of techs. Some like to be posted in the "easier" areas so they can check eBay for that awesome Beanie Baby in between checking vitals. Others want to be where the action is. If you treat pts and staff with respect and consideration, nurses should love you. If you demonstrate a healthy curiosity coupled with an ability to learn and improve, the staff should be willing to teach you. So, speak up. Let people know you to be a person who walks up at an appropriate moment and asks "is there anything you need that I can do?"

If they say the weekly conrference is open to all, take them at their word. If you know when and how to ask to observe or assist, you probably will be able to. I've been to lectures with interns, been the 'not-sterile' person to adjust lights or help hold a patient still during a sterile procedure, watched ultrasounds over the shoulder of the doc, even asked the occasional question at weekly conference. Knowing how to get in there and learn without being overbearing is another good skill to pick up. It'll make you a better student and a better doctor, eventually.

3) ...But be humble. This gets a LOT easier with time. As a new EMT, it can be easy to go to a movie and think, "holy crap. If that old guy right there has a heart attack when Alien and/or Predator jumps out of the shadows, his odds are actually like 1% better just because I'm here." One great thing about being in an ED for any length of time is that in a normal person, overconfidence will be wiped out and replaced by a useful, grounded sort of real confidence.

You'll see that there are very, very many people whose knowledge and experience dwarfs yours. And you'll see that they are in turn eclipsed by others with still bigger brains and balls (or ovaries, as the case may be). And finally, you'll see that none of that is more impressive than the power of regular frickin' people to pull through in tough times, and/or the power of nasty illness or serious trauma to make people's lives turn on a dime.

Mostly, have fun. Every shift will have at least one interesting new thing you picked up, and one thing you wish you did differently. Take it all in stride, and try to make each mistake just once. If you can do that, you can thrive in the ED environment.

Reactions: 1 users
Febrifuge, that was a great post and totally accurate!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

So I guess guys. Just wanted to update. whew. the work is amazing. I'm learning so much (just barely getting the EKG thing down). Realizing how backbreaking the job is.

Febrifuge said:
That's the stuff! I work part-time as a tech, because I have not yet escaped Dilbert-land. I work from 8 to 4:30 in my cubicle, walk the 4 blocks to the county ED (urban trauma), and do another 6 to 9 hours there. At the end of my ED shift, around midnight, I feel tired, but good tired.

To the OP, here are some pearls of tech wisdom from my last 10 months (plus 6 months prior as a volunteer) :

1) Embrace the scut. In the future, yes, you will be "above" scut tasks like hauling laundry bags, scooping poop from patients' clothing, and wiping surfaces down with Sani-wipes... so content yourself that this too shall pass. On the other hand, in the future you will have your own definition of scut, whether it's disimpacting bowels as an MSIV, checking rectal tone and guiac on trauma pts as an intern, or managing the politics of a department full of crazy people as a Chief. There will always be something you don't like; the cool thing about it is, as a tech you get to confront that fact now and make your peace with it. If you do, this skill will be yours forever.

2) Don't be shy. People are techs for lots of reasons, and there are lots of different kinds of techs. Some like to be posted in the "easier" areas so they can check eBay for that awesome Beanie Baby in between checking vitals. Others want to be where the action is. If you treat pts and staff with respect and consideration, nurses should love you. If you demonstrate a healthy curiosity coupled with an ability to learn and improve, the staff should be willing to teach you. So, speak up. Let people know you to be a person who walks up at an appropriate moment and asks "is there anything you need that I can do?"

If they say the weekly conrference is open to all, take them at their word. If you know when and how to ask to observe or assist, you probably will be able to. I've been to lectures with interns, been the 'not-sterile' person to adjust lights or help hold a patient still during a sterile procedure, watched ultrasounds over the shoulder of the doc, even asked the occasional question at weekly conference. Knowing how to get in there and learn without being overbearing is another good skill to pick up. It'll make you a better student and a better doctor, eventually.

3) ...But be humble. This gets a LOT easier with time. As a new EMT, it can be easy to go to a movie and think, "holy crap. If that old guy right there has a heart attack when Alien and/or Predator jumps out of the shadows, his odds are actually like 1% better just because I'm here." One great thing about being in an ED for any length of time is that in a normal person, overconfidence will be wiped out and replaced by a useful, grounded sort of real confidence.

You'll see that there are very, very many people whose knowledge and experience dwarfs yours. And you'll see that they are in turn eclipsed by others with still bigger brains and balls (or ovaries, as the case may be). And finally, you'll see that none of that is more impressive than the power of regular frickin' people to pull through in tough times, and/or the power of nasty illness or serious trauma to make people's lives turn on a dime.

Mostly, have fun. Every shift will have at least one interesting new thing you picked up, and one thing you wish you did differently. Take it all in stride, and try to make each mistake just once. If you can do that, you can thrive in the ED environment.

very good post, I just have one thing to say. I will no longer be checking ebay for the beanie babies since that site has since been blocked from the ED computers.

aside from that, everything febrifuge said is right on the money, mostly if you come into the job with an eagerness to learn (and willingness to do the scut work) you can't go wrong. I've seen too many techs come and go because they felt they were above making beds and cleaning up puke. Don't make that mistake and you'll do fine. (BTW, one of our docs still makes beds and does the scut work of the techs, which is an awesome show of his character.)

Cool, man. I just wish I could say I got the ER tech job I was going for - I never even heard back from them....

I've been looking to get an ER tech job for a really long time now... I feel like it would be that much closer to the ER: the place I'd ultamatly like to spend my career as a M.D. ...They're REALLY hard jobs to find though! It seems like they're hardly ever available to the public, as most hospitals offer open positions to people already working for the hospital before they open it up to regular people like me.

I want one though- real bad. Anyone here know of some qualities that hospitals are looking for in potential techs when hiring? I understand all of the things above... just anything that could possibly help. I'm a 22 year old EMT w/ 2 years experience in the feild, and I have a BA degree from Boston Univ. Anything else that I should do to add to my resume?

fiznat said:
I've been looking to get an ER tech job for a really long time now... I feel like it would be that much closer to the ER: the place I'd ultamatly like to spend my career as a M.D. ...They're REALLY hard jobs to find though! It seems like they're hardly ever available to the public, as most hospitals offer open positions to people already working for the hospital before they open it up to regular people like me.

I want one though- real bad. Anyone here know of some qualities that hospitals are looking for in potential techs when hiring? I understand all of the things above... just anything that could possibly help. I'm a 22 year old EMT w/ 2 years experience in the feild, and I have a BA degree from Boston Univ. Anything else that I should do to add to my resume?

well, my advice is be persistent. Find a ED you want to work for and keep at them until they give in. I'm serious, that's what I did. You have to show them you are serious about working for them. I filled out 2 applications a few months apart and called all the time until they finally gave me an interview and now it's almost 3 years later and I'm still there. If you just fill out the app and then never follow up on it, they may think you really aren't interested or that you got a job somewhere else. So just show that you really NEED this job. I think hospitals are notorious for not calling back applicants, mine is at least.

lytesnsyrens said:
well, my advice is be persistent. Find a ED you want to work for and keep at them until they give in. I'm serious, that's what I did. You have to show them you are serious about working for them. I filled out 2 applications a few months apart and called all the time until they finally gave me an interview and now it's almost 3 years later and I'm still there. If you just fill out the app and then never follow up on it, they may think you really aren't interested or that you got a job somewhere else. So just show that you really NEED this job. I think hospitals are notorious for not calling back applicants, mine is at least.

Agree completely. I got my job by calling up the ER director and asking for an opening. Sometimes Donald Trump's got something right to say... always go to the top person. If I kept with the Human Resources, I would still be applying and waiting to hear from them. Find a listing of all the ERs you want to work in and call them, talk to nurse and ask for director of patient services and triage nurses. Sometimes if you have to leave a message, mention your qualifications, like hi "I'm a recent graduate of Boston university... been working at ____ company for 2 years. Really interested in working as an ER tech. My name is ____. Could you please call me?"

sometimes luck will strike right if you try. that's the biggest thing.

I called the ED director relentlessly, but she never returned voicemails or answered her phone. I finally got a job with an ambulance company.

TheProwler said:
I called the ED director relentlessly, but she never returned voicemails or answered her phone. I finally got a job with an ambulance company.

Prowler, I will say congrats on getting in the streets...although, you don't sound to happy bout it (ER your first choice?).

dgmedic said:
Prowler, I will say congrats on getting in the streets...although, you don't sound to happy bout it (ER your first choice?).
Yeah, because I'd do less shuttling of people who didn't need hospitalization and more patient care, and because I like the hospital environment. It's cool though - I'm looking forward to it (I think!). The company I got with was better than I'd originally thought. The ER doc I shadowed told me I should see some fairly cool stuff with these guys (I may be hanging out with new members of the Knife & Gun Club on a regular basis).