KCUMB (UHS) answers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cad_15

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I am currently @ KCUMB, former UHS, and last year I was in you position..tons of questions about where to go, where to apply. I am volunteering to answer all the questions you may have regarding KCUMB. obviously my opinion is going to be somehow biased, simply because we are different individuals and we have diffrent tastes, but I really enjoy the school and if you want to have an idea of the way I look at things here do not hesitate to ask.

good luck on your application process

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I just had an interview at KCUMB on Thursday and it was amazing. I was totally impressed with the facilites and with the students. EVERYBODY was so welcoming. They weren't like, oh just another group of dumb interviewees. Anyway, I am planning on going there if I get in-which I will find out soon. I had a random question. I run a lot and I was wondering if the fitness center had a locker room. Like, could I go to classes, exercise, and then get ready somewhere on campus so I could study the rest of the day. I'm not planning on living across from campus-though teh towers were REALLY nice. So I knwo that is a random question but i was curious. Thanks!

KCUMB hopeful

cad_15 said:
Hi guys,
I am currently @ KCUMB, former UHS, and last year I was in you position..tons of questions about where to go, where to apply. I am volunteering to answer all the questions you may have regarding KCUMB. obviously my opinion is going to be somehow biased, simply because we are different individuals and we have diffrent tastes, but I really enjoy the school and if you want to have an idea of the way I look at things here do not hesitate to ask.

From what I understand, it's pretty expensive (as are pretty much all private schools :( ) Did they give you a pretty good financial aid package??

Members don't see this ad :)
MizzouDrWannabe said:
From what I understand, it's pretty expensive (as are pretty much all private schools :( ) Did they give you a pretty good financial aid package??

sure it is very expensive to an early 20+ yr old just getting out of college or someone in an establish job making under 100k, but to the ave doc making 150+, its not that much any more... a years worth of your salary basically..... also, most docs do NOT default on the loans, so if you will notice, docs get better rates on loans than do jd's or mba's or grad students because of this. dont worry too much about the money, unless you are going well over 200k because of undergrad loans also or soemthing....

When you put it that way it doesn't sound so bad after all I suppose :oops:

of course it is still a lot of money, but you shouldnt rule out a school just for $10 or $15k or so more a year... all other things being equal, sure... i think compared to mu, kcumb is like almost exactly 10k more.. unless you are out of state and then mu is $10k MORE

hey btw, kcumb rockz! hehe :cool:

cooldreams said:
of course it is still a lot of money, but you shouldnt rule out a school just for $10 or $15k or so more a year... all other things being equal, sure... i think compared to mu, kcumb is like almost exactly 10k more.. unless you are out of state and then mu is $10k MORE

Ditto, BTW, Missouri (from what I understand) is an excellent school, so if you are a missouri resident, don't overlook it.

cad_15 said:
Hi guys,

Hey cad thanks for answering questions. Are you impressed with the facilities. The day I interviewed the Anatomy lab and omm labs were packed. Maybe there was a test or something but it was kind of disconcerting. Tell me how comfortable you are with the facilities do you feel there are any imporvements that will be made, or need to be made. Are they going to go wireless? etc.

I am glad that you enjoyed your time here Dulcinea,
most of us are really excited about interviews and we try to make it a pleasant expereince. regarding your question, yes we have lockers and each student is assigned an individual locker ( you will get the code during orientation week) and there are many people that work during lunch.

QUOTE=dulcinea]Hi,

I just had an interview at KCUMB on Thursday and it was amazing. I was totally impressed with the facilites and with the students. EVERYBODY was so welcoming. They weren't like, oh just another group of dumb interviewees. Anyway, I am planning on going there if I get in-which I will find out soon. I had a random question. I run a lot and I was wondering if the fitness center had a locker room. Like, could I go to classes, exercise, and then get ready somewhere on campus so I could study the rest of the day. I'm not planning on living across from campus-though teh towers were REALLY nice. So I knwo that is a random question but i was curious. Thanks!

KCUMB hopeful[/QUOTE]

Hey Doc 2b,
I was really impressed with the facilities and the new research building that is on its way of becoming operational. The lecture halls are really nice and there is no problem in hearing or listening to lectures ( if you remember how they are...I usually seat just by the exit door...way behind everybody else).
wireless is the big question at the time, they where supposed to go wireless few month ago but with the name change, that project was relagated to a second position. during orientation, they where talking about having some areas of the campus becoming wireless, just to test the technology but because the school does not have a new website yet (that was suppose to happen in august, then september..), I suppose that it will also wait for a while.
AS far as the crowding during OMT, none of the two classes has had an examination yet so it must have been a lab. You may have felt like the space was too small but actually it is not. during the labs we have 2 student for each table and during the last hour of lab we have 3 students per table because one of the second year is there to tutor.
regarding the gross anatomy lab we are 4 per tank and I feel really good about it. because we work on both sides of the body, 1 person can look at the atlas when the others dissect or 2 people can work on the left side and the 2 others on the right side.

Honestly, I think the facilities are great..having a full size gym would be nice ( I like baskeball ball), but the Dela LAmb Center that share the same border with the school is not a bad alternative.
the library is big enough for me ( I never set my feet there unless I have too).
Smith Hall has more rooms that you may think about and the lonly thing you have to do is go by the front desk and reserve one of them to study. there are always rooms available.
with the schedule and the fact that I do not like to study at school, I think that everything is perfect and if there were more buildings around, I would have not noticed them unless I had to go there for a specific reason.

Doc 2b said:
Hey cad thanks for answering questions. Are you impressed with the facilities. The day I interviewed the Anatomy lab and omm labs were packed. Maybe there was a test or something but it was kind of disconcerting. Tell me how comfortable you are with the facilities do you feel there are any imporvements that will be made, or need to be made. Are they going to go wireless? etc.

wassup MizzouDrWannabe?
The tuition and fees this year is $33,307. I just looked at the budget they had for me, based on my available ressources that were $0 and i see $49,207. I think that it is in the same range as most private schools. My financial aid package was good enough to allow to afford it...did not borrow any extra money, but even if I did...it's hard to put a price on a medical education. Once you start learnign and doing things, you forget about your loans...
expensive??I do not know what that really means for you but follow your heart, listen to your feelings in making your decision

MizzouDrWannabe said:

Anybody know how I can get a match list for KCUMB?

Members don't see this ad :)
Doc 2b said:
Anybody know how I can get a match list for KCUMB?

im not aware of the match list posted on computer anywhere... i do know if/when you interview with them, that they give you a copy of the most recent one. when i interviewed there (last year) the match list had at least 2 ppl in like nearly every specialty, like ns - i looked for that in particular at the time... but now i wanna do em, and they had a lot of em positions... i think there is some childrens ns head that graduated from here also... with a pass rate of 95%+ and a class size of 250+ u gotta get a lot of the tough specialites in cuz you know the curriculum is awesome for so many ppl to consistently do well...

anyways, the above is the biggest and most impressive thing about kcumb to me, and the main reason i picked it. you have to find your own reasons... its good that you are looking at many different angles...

cooldreams said:
im not aware of the match list posted on computer anywhere... i do know if/when you interview with them, that they give you a copy of the most recent one. when i interviewed there (last year) the match list had at least 2 ppl in like nearly every specialty, like ns - i looked for that in particular at the time... but now i wanna do em, and they had a lot of em positions... i think there is some childrens ns head that graduated from here also... with a pass rate of 95%+ and a class size of 250+ u gotta get a lot of the tough specialites in cuz you know the curriculum is awesome for so many ppl to consistently do well...

anyways, the above is the biggest and most impressive thing about kcumb to me, and the main reason i picked it. you have to find your own reasons... its good that you are looking at many different angles...

Do you guys know what is the average MCAT SCORE and GPA for last year's class.

mandar said:
Do you guys know what is the average MCAT SCORE and GPA for last year's class.

The average MCAT for the class of 2008 was 8, and the GPA was around 3.45 or something.

Just D.O. It! said:
The average MCAT for the class of 2008 was 8, and the GPA was around 3.45 or something.

And our tests averages so far are around 84% :eek: If its that high for our last quiz then I'm in big trouble.

danwsu said:
And our tests averages so far are around 84% :eek: If its that high for our last quiz then I'm in big trouble.

You are not going to be the only one in deep crap if it keeps going that way....at least the last quizz's average was interesting

I got an acceptance from KCUMB about two weeks, and although I am very happy.I do have some concerns about KCUMB...mainly the fact that alot of the students told me the USMLE pass rate was only 65%...is this true??...and if so, do you feel it was so low b/c of the GENESIS curriculum?

I was hoping a KCUMB student would comment on the USMLE scores for Step 1 for the school. But I did check on the USMLE website and the national average for DO's taking Step 1 had a 70% pass rate. Of course, it is lower than MD's but hey, they can't even take the COMLEX =) So, if KCUMB's pass rate is 65% then it would only be a little lower than average. But their COMLEX pass rate is extraordinary, 96% last year. Don't know if this helps. I'm still curious as to what KCUMB's is specifically for USMLE.

dulcinea said:
I was hoping a KCUMB student would comment on the USMLE scores for Step 1 for the school. But I did check on the USMLE website and the national average for DO's taking Step 1 had a 70% pass rate. Of course, it is lower than MD's but hey, they can't even take the COMLEX =) So, if KCUMB's pass rate is 65% then it would only be a little lower than average. But their COMLEX pass rate is extraordinary, 96% last year. Don't know if this helps. I'm still curious as to what KCUMB's is specifically for USMLE.

this link has bullseye who graduated like last year or the year before i think saying that that usmle pass rate at uhs was 86% in his class....

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=103047&highlight=uhs+usmle+pass

i dont know if it is true or not, but sounds about right, from what ive heard...

Hi! I have my interview at KCUMB next week and am wondering what types of questions I should be prepared for. Any ideas?
Thanks!

sunstar1877 said:
Hi! I have my interview at KCUMB next week and am wondering what types of questions I should be prepared for. Any ideas?
Thanks!

read the med school feedback pages for interview questions... there are a LOT on there.

good luck. just relax and be yourself.

Thanks! Where can I find the feedback pages that you mentioned?

To answer the question about USMLE pass rates for KCUMB:
the rates have hovered around 80% the past few years that Kaplan has been keeping up with the pass rates that is per a head Kaplan person the last I asked. For more accurate numbers though, you could probably talk with a certain Male anatomy Professor who has been doing research on the comparison of COMLEX, USMLE, and Kaplan study.
But USMLE is only important if you are going to apply to a competitive specialty at a competitive university institution!!!

Hey guys just wondering where you came up with the cash for your deposit, and how you paid it, Personal Check, MO?

Also I have been waiting on sending my deposit because i wanted to wait and see where my bro goes, both of us want to go to KCUMB but he was an August MCATer and he still hasn't heard anything yet, he is complete but still no interview. Did well on MCAT 27, and a 3.?. You guys have any suggestions on what I could do? Should I call the admissions office and see if he is going to get an interview, should I go ahead and send in my $, and then call and see if I can do anything? I don't want to have to make multiple deposits.

Hey, does anyone know the daily class schedule for M1/M2 years? How many of these classes are required?

Thanks!

crazygal said:
Hey, does anyone know the daily class schedule for M1/M2 years? How many of these classes are required?

Thanks!

Our typical day consists of four-five hours of lectures in the morning followed by labs in the afternoon. Depending on the section and week you can get anywhere from 1-4 afternoons off. Attendance is required for all labs.

I was wondering if there are any rotations in MN? When speaking with students while I was there for my interview none knew of any. Anybody else know???
Thx!

Just D.O. It! said:
These stats sound about like me... I'm nervous because I have an interview at KCUMB next week and I don't know much about the school other than what is on the website. Any information or input would be greatly appreciated. This is only one of two schools I am applying to and I feel so scared :oops: