PROSTHODONTICS--- acceptances/interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

simpledoc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey..to all you guys applying to pros, did you guys get any offers as yet or any interview calls? to those who have any idea about a few good programs, please put in your inputs here.

Members don't see this ad.

simpledoc said:
hey..to all you guys applying to pros, did you guys get any offers as yet or any interview calls? to those who have any idea about a few good programs, please put in your inputs here.
hi simpledoc, prosthodontics is one of the toughest residencies, not so to get into, but to finish ! you are put through a tremendous amount of hard work which certainly pays off in the end as you can possibly treatment plan and work/rehabilitate almost any case in the world! thus having said, i believe that that the reason you have not got any replies as yet (with 40 odd views so far) is because most of us try for the easier route by sticking to GP or get into the more glamorous specialties like ortho, endo etc which require less effort! however, as i know pros residencies are pretty competitive, in the good and reputed programs and you may have to possibly wait until the admission season gets over, which would probably be, by the end of december.

simpledoc said:
by the way, the good programs I can think of on the east coast, would be Iowa, UConn, UPenn, Ohio, Indiana and Tennessee I guess. good luck applying.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious, but what is the percentage of Prostho residencies that inlcude training in maxillofacial prosthestics. Or do most programs require you to do a seperate program to gain experience in this?

I believe that maxillofacial prosth is a program separate from traditional prosth. It seems like we were told it was an additional year but it could have been 2. They do really cool stuff if you have the hands and eye for it.

Dr.SpongeBobDDS said:
I believe that maxillofacial prosth is a program separate from traditional prosth. It seems like we were told it was an additional year but it could have been 2. They do really cool stuff if you have the hands and eye for it.

You might do a couple cases of maxillofacial in a prosth residency but real training is with a one year fellowship after prosth. I know of UPitt and UIC that offer it.

ip said:
You might do a couple cases of maxillofacial in a prosth residency but real training is with a one year fellowship after prosth. I know of UPitt and UIC that offer it.
md anderson cancer center at texas is a renowned one; however, what do you guys think of the scope and earning potential in the field of maxillofacial pros? by the way, mayo has a 4 year pros residency, which inludes teh 1 year training in maxxilofacial pros

simpledoc said:
md anderson cancer center at texas is a renowned one; however, what do you guys think of the scope and earning potential in the field of maxillofacial pros? by the way, mayo has a 4 year pros residency, which inludes teh 1 year training in maxxilofacial pros

Of what I know, maxillofacial prosth is not something you go into looking for earning potential. It's one that you do to truly help people in need and you'd probably do just a few cases/year.

i keep being told that the pros residency at san antonio is good - 3 years and man do they work hard... hurts to think about

texas_dds said:
i keep being told that the pros residency at san antonio is good - 3 years and man do they work hard... hurts to think about
well, i do know that pros residency is tougher compared to other residencies (ps: definitely not tougher than OFMS :D ) ; however, I do know that some schools go to a ridiculous extent of demanding tons of lab work from their residents, like UWash (seattle) for example...but some programs know that by the time you graduate you are not a dental ceramist, but a prosthodontist! i donno much about san antonio, but if the residents are that busy with their lab work (which actually compromises their clinical time as well) then I dowanna go there, even if it is the number 1 program!
any takers on this?