Early Admission Berkeley And Scco

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chaldobruin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am a third year optometry student who is interested in applying to early admissions progams. My OAT is complete, as well as my essays and my recommendations. I know that SCCO has an early admission program, and im going to apply to that this next week. However, my question is about berkeley. They speak of an "early acceptance" program, in which "truly oustanding" applicants can apply and be accepted but the description is very vague. Does this mean third year students can apply? Should I fill out an app and send it in? I've tried emailing and contacting the admissions office but they never respond.

Also, if you are accepted into an early admission program, how long do you have to accept? Are you bound to that school for the next 2 years if you accept? can anyone answer these questions for me? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello again:

I sent this to you via e-mail but I just wanted to post it in case any lurkers have the same questions.

I was a bit confused about the preacceptance program myself, but I have spoken to the admissions office and the program at Berkeley is different from the SCCO early acceptance program. For UCBSO, you can only apply for the upcoming year's class (i.e., apply Aug-Dec 2004 for entering class of 2005). If you are a strong applicant on paper (grades, OAT scores, LOR, etc.), then you will receive a call from either the admissions director or the Dean of student affairs asking you personally to attend the school. You will not be interviewed on the same day with other applicants. The school sets aside a separate day for preaccepted students to come visit the school and the Dean will also speak to you. I don't think they consider it an "interview" but mainly a way for preaccepted students to see if they really want to come here. I believe you can also request a phone interview if you are preaccepted if you cannot come to the school.

My friend who was accepted early into SCCO had to put down a $1000 deposit. I believe they gave her no more than 2-3 months after notifying her that she was accepted to mail in the deposit. I'm not exactly sure about that timeframe. If you decide to go to another school then you'll lose that deposit.

I hope that helps.

Best wishes,

Rosanna

chaldobruin said:
Hey guys, I am a third year optometry student who is interested in applying to early admissions progams. My OAT is complete, as well as my essays and my recommendations. I know that SCCO has an early admission program, and im going to apply to that this next week. However, my question is about berkeley. They speak of an "early acceptance" program, in which "truly oustanding" applicants can apply and be accepted but the description is very vague. Does this mean third year students can apply? Should I fill out an app and send it in? I've tried emailing and contacting the admissions office but they never respond.

Also, if you are accepted into an early admission program, how long do you have to accept? Are you bound to that school for the next 2 years if you accept? can anyone answer these questions for me? Thanks!

it's usually 3 months to decide to accept