Ohio State vs. UMKC vs. South Carolina

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

txdoc2b

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I have been offered interviews by these 3 (among 9 others which I am going to all of) But I don't really know anything about these 3 programs, and I think I only want to go to 1 maybe 2 of the above 3. Does anyone know anything about any of these...good or bad to help me with the decision about which one to go to?
Any thoughts...case load, work hours, location, friendliness of residents/faculty, etc. would help. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Bump.

I'd like to here about MUSC also.

MUSC is a strong clinical program. Not much research though if that is your thing. But good overall caseload including CV, transplant except lung, peds, level I trauma, and reasonable lifestyle as well. Faculty are good, most easy to work with. Maybe one or two that are a little rough around the edges, but I think that's everywhere you'll go. The chairman is Dr. Waller the former chairman at Emory, who is a really nice guy. The med school dean is JG Reves, former chairman of anes at Duke, and he still does a cv case or two a week. Stephen Dierdorf, the coauthor of Anesthesia and Coexisting dz, and Scott Reeves, author of the major TEE anesthesia book are both also on faculty. MUSC hasn't been accepting any ca-1 applicants, you pretty much have to do their clinical base. It is a good year though, with 3 months of IM wards at VA, 3 months of SICU, 2 months IM consults, 1 ENT, 1 CT Surg at VA (no-call), and 1 Peds ER. Charleston is a fun town on the water, with a good night life. For the south it isn't cheap, but still very affordable compared to the ne or west. PM me with any questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks gasman that was very helpful! Does anoyone know anything else about the other 2?

UMKC - it probably lies in the middle of the road in the scheme of residencies. The program is based out of St Luke's, which is a very nice facility compared to some of the other hospitals I've seen on the interview trail, the OR's atleast. They have a very nice electronic charting system as well. They have started adding some new staff over the past year and they seem to be fairly proactive in trying to teach more. They are fairly strong with CV, they have an active CTS service. Anesthesia runs the CVICU and the attendings in the heart institute are excellent. Not a whole lot of research from what I can remember though each resident has to do a research project. The Chairman is the longest sitting chairman in the country and an oral board examiner. Hope this helps

Ohio state....any opinion about that one? I am on a wait list for them because all the days were full when I wrote them back. Worth persuing?