Reverse affirmative action?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Daichi Katase

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are medical schools more critical towards applicants of overepresented minorities such as east asians and indians? I was looking through mdapplicants.com and noticed that asians with very numbers a lot higher than the average for the respective schools and excellent ECs had been rejected while others with similar or less impressive numbers and ECs were accepted. I mean ALL those asians who were rejected couldn't have had horrible personalities and have done terrible at the interview???

Are there any people out there who have had such experiences?

Members don't see this ad.

This is why AA is bad!!!

People, don't start discussion this. Sorry to the OP, but even if a civil discussion starts, then the mods will move this thread will be moved to the longue. There, it will die a very quick death. Heck, it already happened once this week.

siggy dont start sumthin there wont be nothin! yaaa!

::ghetto pirate waddles away::

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry guys...i was just curious if people had such experiences during the process. No need to get riled up :)

That isn't reverse affirmative action, it's just affirmative action. This illegal, unfair, and unconstitutional bull**** happens all the time to asians and whites because we were born "privileged."

Shut your noise tube and stop whining - the world does not owe you anything.

Matriculation tends to follow the trend of applicant distribution - as in roughly 30%-50% of each population (going by gender, race, undergraduate degree, etc) is admitted each year (depending on number of applicants).

If you are so threatened by members of your own background (ie, Asian) having higher stats than you, then by all means go into another field, because your biggest competition is not from URMsor affirmative action - it's from people EXACTLY like you. The more people that are from the same background, the more competition you will find within that group.

Medical schools are building a "team:" just like a football team is not comprised of all quarterbacks, a medical school class cannot be successful if everyone is the exact same. This is not "reverse affirmative action," it's how medical schools are serving society.

You will probably get into medical school with a good MCAT/GPA, so don't fret. But I personally would not send my family members to a physician who tried to blame others for their failures.

thank u fotolith, finally the voice of reason

im tired of all this unfairness or "my spot" crap .

fotolilith said:
Medical schools are building a "team:" just like a football team is not comprised of all quarterbacks, a medical school class cannot be successful if everyone is the exact same. This is not "reverse affirmative action," it's how medical schools are serving society.

I'm guessing the OP uses "reverse" as a verb, not an adjective.

fotolilith said:

Matriculation tends to follow the trend of applicant distribution - as in roughly 30%-50% of each population (going by gender, race, undergraduate degree, etc) is admitted each year (depending on number of applicants).

If you are so threatened by members of your own background (ie, Asian) having higher stats than you, then by all means go into another field, because your biggest competition is not from URMsor affirmative action - it's from people EXACTLY like you. The more people that are from the same background, the more competition you will find within that group.

You will probably get into medical school with a good MCAT/GPA, so don't fret. But I personally would not send my family members to a physician who tried to blame others for their failures.

Excellent.

"Shut your noise tube and stop whining - the world does not owe you anything."

Awwwww....you are angry. Dude, nobody owes me anything and i am not asking for anything. :rolleyes:

"because your biggest competition is not from URMsor affirmative action - it's from people EXACTLY like you. The more people that are from the same background, the more competition you will find within that group."

Yeah i agree 100%. I am still not sure why you are ripping on me.

"Medical schools are building a "team:" just like a football team is not comprised of all quarterbacks, a medical school class cannot be successful if everyone is the exact same. This is not "reverse affirmative action," it's how medical schools are serving society."

No problem with that :)

"You will probably get into medical school with a good MCAT/GPA, so don't fret. But I personally would not send my family members to a physician who tried to blame others for their failures."

I am not blaming anybody. Stop it!!!

I was just wondering if people of certain ethnic backgrounds had to have higher stats to get in. specifically asians. thats it. If my post made you angry, then that was not my intention. I am sorry. :cool:

PS. i don't agree with bigbassinbob

Being south asian I can tell you we get slapped around worse that Pamela Anderson when she dated Tommy Lee.

Point is that it is hard to break into IVYs...i know that is hard being a desi...it sucks for me too....

But what most desi guys do is follow the GPA/MCAT formula...u know the deal...so they kinda get screwed there. It is not that they suck but they sometimes are wayyy to formulatic about it....focus on GPA/MCAT. The lesson to be learned is to BE LIKE WHITE PEOPLE(HAHAH j/k). But seriously, we have to start clubs(i founded a fraternity) and be active in social life and what not. Don't be the dude who goes home on the weekends and lives to get an A on the next test. Thats not cool and med schools will expose you like that video of Pam and Tom(thought I would start as I finished).

fotolilith said:

:thumbup:

fotolilith said:

:thumbup: :) :D ;) :rolleyes: :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
So, from what I have been told on these threads, Jews are allegedly overrepresented in medicine. This was news to me, but after having done research, I found out that Jews make up as much as 30-40% of some medical school classes :eek: .

I know for a fact that we are grossly overrepresented in politics and law, but medicine :confused: :confused: :confused: ?

Considering that we constitute only 2% of the population in the US, I do not mind being held to a higher standard in admissions process. To be honest, I don't want to go to a medical school where my only classmates would be Jews, Asians, and Indians.

What about diversity?

fotolilith said:

Oh yeah, this just puts away all those affirmative action debates to rest, NOT.

Siggy said:
This is why AA is bad!!!

People, don't start discussion this. Sorry to the OP, but even if a civil discussion starts, then the mods will move this thread will be moved to the longue. There, it will die a very quick death. Heck, it already happened once this week.

So where the hell are the mods? Sheesh.

I totally agree with OP. I have notice the same thing recently.
Years ago, whites were put to disadvantage because of affirmative action.
Now a days, Asians (especially East Asians) and Indians are the ones taking the most hit from AA.

I mean I understand that some URM groups deserve helps from AA and I am totally fine that some of then can get into med school somewhat easier than us. But Caucasians and Asians should be at the same level to compete each other. Yes, there are higher percentages of Asians in college or med school compared with the percentage they occupy in the entire population. However, this should not be the reason for Asians to have harder time in getting into med school compared with Caucasians.

DieselPetrolGrl said:
siggy dont start sumthin there wont be nothin! yaaa!

::ghetto pirate waddles away::

NOBODY LISTENS TO ME
i want to be a mod so you all haveto
this post should be locked and burned in a waste receptacle !!!!!!

Detective, what you call excellent EC's may very well be the 'standard' excellent EC's- and thus making nothing special about these applicants. It is completely impossible to look at mdapplicants.com data and determine that certain people should have gotten into better schools.

Kiroro said:
I totally agree with OP. I have notice the same thing recently.
Years ago, whites were put to disadvantage because of affirmative action.
Now a days, Asians (especially East Asians) and Indians are the ones taking the most hit from AA.

I mean I understand that some URM groups deserve helps from AA and I am totally fine that some of then can get into med school somewhat easier than us. But Caucasians and Asians should be at the same level to compete each other. Yes, there are higher percentages of Asians in college or med school compared with the percentage they occupy in the entire population. However, this should not be the reason for Asians to have harder time in getting into med school compared with Caucasians.

But isn't the reverse the reason why we have AA? If your skin color does not have the same porportion of the population in college as everyone else, then you need a boost? Thus, whites (which in 99.999% of the cases is not the special skin color) should get a boost because whites are underrepresented in school?

AA pretty much sucks. It should be abolished.

DetectiveChubby said:
sorry guys...i was just curious if people had such experiences during the process. No need to get riled up :)

Hey, I didn't get upset at your post. I can completely understand your question. I know someone who was on the adcom at UCLA's med school. He told me that there was a great student (who was Asian) and they couldn't let him in until another Asian who was accepted withdrew from that school. The whole process sucks. I can see it from a school's point of view... If I was a medical school I would not want all the people to be of one or two background primarly, but it really is a frustrating process for students. Maybe you can apply to good school where most of they people are not asians??? Good luck to you in this random process.

I suggest anyone interested in learning about affirmative action from an empirical perspective read one of the books by the Economist Thomas Sowell.
http://www.townhall.com/bookclub/sowell4.html
Here is a link to one of his books on the subject or you could just cross ref his name in google.