Who's going to San Antonio in February?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jeff2005

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't have an abstract or anything but I thought I'd go. Is anybody else going to the USCAP conference this year?

Members don't see this ad.

They wouldn't let me out of my february VA rotation if I was bleeding out of my eyes. The VA rotation is basically the only one here where there isn't any flexibility. But that's ok, it's only for the first year anyway. Maybe next year.

I am. I think my currently non-existent poster is due up the Wednesday AM.

Methinks it will be interesting to meet all these pathologists 4 days after the ROL deadline closes. I'm sure it will all be perfectly professional, but the possibilities are interesting to think about.

Members don't see this ad :)
Count me in too! I think my poster date is on Monday :confused:

I live here. Anyone know how much it is to go as a student?

I'm there. Got a platform on tuesday (i think). See y'all 'round!

Mindy

I'm going as well. I think I have a poster; not sure when.

I have no poster either. Nobody is gonna give me money to go unfortunately. The thought about going there did cross my mind because I want to take part in this pathology community prior to residency starting.

When is the meeting BTW? Of course, if this conflicts with spring break plans...then I will go to USCAP next year or the year after.

I emailed them and this was the response - "Students receive complimentary general registration. You must pay for any individual courses which you may want to add to that."

So woohoo!!

btw I lied - my poster is on the Monday AM.

To continue my trend of double-posting today...

"The online registration won't allow for comp(limentary) registrations. You can download the form, complete it and fax it in with the notation that you are a student."

Andy if you're reading this it's February 26 to March 4.

I have an abstract in Gyn Path with Drs Crum and Mutter from Brigham...

The fellow said it would be cool if I went, so i am thinking about it. Sounds like fun, but have not decided. Needed to check with my clinical rotations. Can not wait till floor work is over....argh. Back to trauma surgery....

ziadp said:
The fellow said it would be cool if I went, so i am thinking about it. Sounds like fun, but have not decided. Needed to check with my clinical rotations.
Some months ago when I said the same thing, my nephrology attending told me to not let anything get in the way of an academic career. "Be sick on the day of the meeting!" she said.

I think it was sound advice ;)

the ambulatory clerkship director gave me permission to miss two days of clinic, so I'll be there long enough to stand next to my poster on Mon. PM.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would hate to sound like a sheep, but under circumstances like this, I think the question is warranted - shall we do an SDNPath meet-up? :) It sounds like most people will be there on the Monday.

deschutes said:
I would hate to sound like a sheep, but under circumstances like this, I think the question is warranted - shall we do an SDNPath meet-up? :) It sounds like most people will be there on the Monday.

I think that's a great idea. But I'm not sure I'm going to be able to go now that my monetary funds are so dissipated. :(

Well, for those of you who are interested in meeting up, deschutes will be the one with an SDN sticker on her forehead.

Actually - scratch that, I'm not tall enough.

deschutes will be the one with the SDN balloon.

Okay, since this is the first time I'm going for this meeting - can anyone recommend an approach? I see there are companion meetings on the weekend, followed by presentations and courses throughout the week.

It'd be neat to be there the entire week, but since I'm trying to cram in more Step 2 study time, is it reasonable to turn up for the weekend companion meeting, stand next to my poster and vanish by Tuesday or Wednesday?

Sure hope there are some residents floating around these next couple of nights, before this thread is consigned to oblivion....

(I'm not a resident, but I went to the mtg in Vancouver last year...)

Definitely attend the companion meetings and the evening specialty conferences. The courses require additional fees, so unless you've got unlimited financial resources I recommend skipping them until someone else is paying! Plus, they're more geared towards pathologists-in-practice (vs. in-training).

You could certainly attend the whole meeting, but you may get a bit burned-out after 4 days or so - especially if you try to attend platform presentations in every time frame available as well as the poster sessions. Even if you skip most of the platform presentations, don't miss the Timely topics lecture and Maude Abbott lecture. Last year Carney gave the Abbott lecture - what an amazing mind.

Anyway, available time-off and a small budget will limit my time at this year's meeting - the hotel is expensive!

Someone is paying for this flight... I just don't know whom yet! I'm working on scrounging up free money - my poster is not some magic-carpet ride.

What do you do with your posters after meetings?

I completely agree: applying the principle of the marginal utility of a Twinkie, sitting through a week's worth of back-to-back presentations and keynote addresses would probably be fatal.

What's in these companion meetings?

Did you get to see the Vancouver outside of the convention centre? :)

deschutes said:
Someone is paying for this flight... I just don't know whom yet! I'm working on scrounging up free money - my poster is not some magic-carpet ride.

I completely agree: applying the principle of the marginal utility of a Twinkie, sitting through a week's worth of back-to-back presentations and keynote addresses would probably be fatal.

1. ouch, that would totally suck if you had to pay for your flight. you gots to get flight, hotels, AND meals paid for :thumbup:
2. i usually keep my posters and use them to adorn the walls of my apartment.
3. what are these companion meetings? is it some dating service that happens during conferences? i know there are job search services that happen at meetings; never heard of companion meetings though.

deschutes said:

1. Posters - well, currently my old ones are rolled up in a stack next to my bookcase. However before they became dust collectors, I did re-use them in my university's research day and won some travel money!!

2. Alas, the companion meetings are not pathology's version of the Dating Game...they are specialty societies such as the North American Society of Head and Neck Pathology, the Papanicolaou Society of Cytopathology, the Arthur Purdy Stout Society of Surgical Pathologists, the Binford-Dammin Society of Infectious Disease Pathologists, the Hans Popper Hepatopathology Society, and my personal favorite - the Paleopathology Club. (ok, I'm kidding about that last one.) You can get a preview of the lecture topics on the USCAP website: www.uscap.org

3. On my first day, thanks to the thick clouds that hid the mountains, Vancouver looked as flat as Columbus, OH. What a difference when the clouds cleared to reveal the beautiful mountains!! I was impressed with Vancouver's architecture, its beautiful surroundings, and progressive population. (Canadians are certainly more than "unarmed Americans with health insurance"!) Too bad I spent so much time in the convention center, but at least I have an excuse to visit again!!

1) Posters: As far as I can tell mine are some sort of matte plastic. Therefore unrecyclable??

They seem to inevitably end up as wallpaper. You know, territorial markers.

My first ever poster seems to have vanished with the passing of the age of our nephropathology fellow. Just as well. You'd think I'd be sentimental about my initiation, but one line had to be taped - and I prefer not to hang onto anything less than perfect... :cool: :rolleyes:

2) I thought I had been to every non-password-protected corner of the website - apparently not! The massiveness of this meeting still gets to me.

3) B.C. is something else. When I first got here I thought the licence plates ("Beautiful British Columbia") were as corny as heck - but then I visited Victoria and fell head-over-heels like everyone else. One of my top 5 places in the world to retire to!

Awright, let's get this show on the road!

The people who are going to be there next weekend:

Doc B
Mindy
1Path
ziadp
edamame
? Pookies

and yours truly.

Anyone else?

I'm guessing I will see most of you at the MDA breakfast.

We should have the first annual SDN companion meeting.

Mindy

Weather in Frigid North: 13 C / 55 F, bright and sunny.
Weather in destination city: 9 C / 48 F and overcast.

To think I'll be flying all those hours south for rain... :rolleyes:

Yea, I live here. I think I will make my way downtown to check it out for a day.

deschutes said:
Weather in Frigid North: 13 C / 55 F, bright and sunny.
Weather in destination city: 9 C / 48 F and overcast.

To think I'll be flying all those hours south for rain... :rolleyes:

Naw, it's going to rain the day we get there and then one other day. Looks nice.

http://snipurl.com/d2av

deschutes said:
The people who are going to be there next weekend:

Doc B
Mindy
1Path
ziadp
edamame
? Pookies

and yours truly.

Anyone else?

I'm guessing I will see most of you at the MDA breakfast.

As one of few who's not studying to be a "real" doctor (yet ;) ), I haven't heard a thing about this. :( :laugh:

After a full day of soaking up puddles in my slacks and socks and shoes, today actually looks promising. No rain for the remainder of my stay!

The convention is spread over 2 hotels and a convention centre and involves I am told 3000 people. In other words I have no idea how to find the other SDNPath-ers. I could tell you to look for a short Asian girl, but there seems to be quite a number of those types walking around.

So for what it's worth, if any of you are reading this, my abstract is #1245.

[Addendum]Shameless plug for my poster aside... I will be in Exhibit Hall B at 9:30 Monday morning. (sorry to be so non-specific earlier - I just found the place!)

deschutes said:
I am looking across the bank of computers. No SDN screen but my own.

Perhaps you should put your ewok costume on and wave your stick around while screaming, "Yo quiero taco bell!" I think the SDN'ers would know who you are then.

AndyMilonakis said:
Perhaps you should put your ewok costume on and wave your stick around while screaming, "Yo quiero taco bell!"
Lewd fantasy alert.

I don't think the SDNers who are here (and that is the crucial difference) would recognize an all-singing all-dancing ewok if it collapsed in front of them.

deschutes said:
Lewd fantasy alert.
you're thinking too much into this. there was no lewd intentions from the man behind this laptop.
deschutes said:
I don't think the SDNers who are here (and that is the crucial difference) would recognize an all-singing all-dancing ewok if it collapsed in front of them.
why not? maybe they saw the comics and made the connection. you never know...i highly encourage you to do this though. wait, you can sing? even better!

AndyMilonakis said:
Let's see. For one maybe they have lives outside of SDN. And for another, maybe they have better things to do at an international conference than read SDN.

Oops I just missed Dr. Greenson's talk. :( It's all your fault! :p

deschutes said:
Let's see. For one maybe they have lives outside of SDN. And for another, maybe they have better things to do at an international conference than read SDN.

Oops I just missed Dr. Greenson's talk. :( It's all your fault! :p
Dr. Greenson's the bomb! Hurry along now...you can still make it!

deschutes said:
I walk fast, but I can't go back in time...
It really is too bad you missed his talk. He's an excellent speaker. He was one of the attendings who supervised and taught my pathology lab group during M2 year (I think he had just arrived at Michigan then but I'm not sure).

Is the itinerary for USCAP posted online? I just wonder since I'm gonna have lots of downtime in the lab today and I'm curious about what kind of things go on there.