Rush or Miami?????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sevoflurane

Ride
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't have the funds to go to both, and I am fairly sure neither is going to be top 3 on my rank list, but I feel I need to go to at least one of them. Which one is a stronger program??? Which one would you not go to and why?? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

i heard both programs work their residents pretty hard. so purely by location, Miami.

Members don't see this ad :)
sevoflurane said:
I don't have the funds to go to both, and I am fairly sure neither is going to be top 3 on my rank list, but I feel I need to go to at least one of them. Which one is a stronger program??? Which one would you not go to and why?? Thanks.

You sure you can't go to both? There's gotta be some way. Be grateful that you've got this problem. A lot of our classmates are only getting like 3-4 invitations... total! I was told at one interview I attended that they got 750 applications, and that they regretted that they had to use a Step 1 cut-off score (I'm assuming it was a fairly high cut-off too). This was not a slouch program either. As a result, they were still interviewing 150 for a total of 7 spots!

A lot of people would like to have your problem.

-Skip

Hmm...midwinter...not really interested in either program...trip to Chicago or trip to Miami? The choice is obvious.

I enjoyed my interview at Miami immensely. Interviewed on Friday, so I made the most of it and stayed through Sunday. The extra two nights of hotel accommodation at a modest place is nominal compared to what you've already paid to get out there.

Miami does sound nice... but I've been suprised by some programs that I didn't think were going to be in my top 3...

Hey there Ventdependent...
I've really enjoyed your posts. I feel you are a normal down to earth guy superchaged by anesthesia. I kind of see myself that way and I'm looking for a program that will provide me with fellow residents that bring that to the OR. That being said, I'm curious why you decided to go with rush. I've heard alot of great things and alot of things not so great which of course leaves me very much in limboland. If you don't mind... what are the perks about RUSH that stood out to you when you were in my shoes? If you are in chi-town for 4 years can you afford to buy? Miami is q4 for most of their time (although I don't know what will happen now that Dr. Labarsky is gone) and... are you giving any tours at advocate the 19th of January? :cool:

what do you mean Dr. Lubarsky is gone? I interviewed there a month ago and there was no mention of a departure. Any info would be GREAT. Thanks

Last I knew he was going to step down as program director. Maybe this is not true? A 4th year medical student from U of Miami mentioned this to me on the interview trail about three weeks ago. Here comes limboland again! :confused:

sevoflurane said:
Miami does sound nice... but I've been suprised by some programs that I didn't think were going to be in my top 3...

Hey there Ventdependent...
I've really enjoyed your posts. I feel you are a normal down to earth guy superchaged by anesthesia. I kind of see myself that way and I'm looking for a program that will provide me with fellow residents that bring that to the OR. That being said, I'm curious why you decided to go with rush. I've heard alot of great things and alot of things not so great which of course leaves me very much in limboland. If you don't mind... what are the perks about RUSH that stood out to you when you were in my shoes? If you are in chi-town for 4 years can you afford to buy? Miami is q4 for most of their time (although I don't know what will happen now that Dr. Labarsky is gone) and... are you giving any tours at advocate the 19th of January? :cool:

You're gonna bust your ass at either program. Miami is county and Rush is university based. Didn't go to Miami but if you aren't set on living in Chicago then go where the weather is for this trip.

I just transferred into the U-M program as a CA2 and can compare it to about 10 other programs that (i either rotated at, knew residents at, or my old program) and can tell you that U-M is much better than any of them. All of these idiots that are saying you get worked super hard at U-m are clueless. This is a true training program, with mostly US grads. The best indicator of how good the program is, is the type of people you work with, and believe me the attendings here will be your friends not only in the or but also outside of it. The call schedule here for most rotations is awesome. Although many rotations require Q-4 call you come in on the day of call at 2 Pm and are not in the Or until 3:30 pm. The next day at 7 am you go home and have the entire day off. Also weekends and holidays are off unless you are on call. when on call your only in the hospital for 17 hours. The new PD, Dr Gallager is well known in the field and has written numerous oral exam books. As a transfer from another program i am willing to tell you that you would be a fool not to give this program a chance. This in my opinion is the most underated program in the country. the only problem here is that you will be living in miami a city with alot to do(especially if your single) and you may not study as much as in other programs(mostly because of the year round weather). You will need more discipline to do a residency in Miami than in chicago, detroit or other locales.

PS: i'm coming from a program where as a CA 1 i took no call and had all of my weekends off, but all of the residents miserable, overworked and treated like dirt. The attendings here would stab you in the back at a moments notice, although you took no call you never left the hospital before 6 pm and often at 8 or 9 pm only to come back and break your back again the next morning.

sweet informative post. thank you... very much...

godfather said:
The new PD, Dr Gallager is well known in the field and has written numerous oral exam books. As a transfer from another program i am willing to tell you that you would be a fool not to give this program a chance.

The funny thing is, during my interview there w/Dr. Candiotti (former PD about 2-3 months ago), he was adamant about how this program was not undergoing anymore "changes"...oops.

It is too bad we can't transplant a good program, like UPitt, in a terrible location to a good location like Miami.

sevoflurane said:
Last I knew he was going to step down as program director. Maybe this is not true? A 4th year medical student from U of Miami mentioned this to me on the interview trail about three weeks ago. Here comes limboland again! :confused:

Dr lubarksy is the chair and he is staying as chair and Gallagher is PD Correct? This has not changed?