Are all Mayo's Created equal? (and I'm not talkin' mayonaise)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xampower

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Happy new year to everyone!

I recently interviewed at Mayo Jacksonville and was really impressed with the program. The residents seemed extremely happy, probably some of the happiest I have met. All raved about the program. The faculty are impressive as well. Dr. Murray ( Chair, and co-author of Clinical Anesthesia), Dr. Cucchiarra (neuro, editor of Miller) just to name a few. The faculty I met were extremely nice and many were transpalnts from Mayo Rochester (it must be that warm FL weather). So that being said, when program prestige and rank are discussed on this forum, Mayo Clinic is always listed as a top program. Does this refer to both Jacksonville and Rochester or only Rochester? Being a new program, will graduates have a tougher time obtaining jobs since few of it's graduates are in the workforce or does the Mayo name speak for itself?? Finally, I hear many times on this forum that "program X is too small." What are some of the drawbacks to a small program like Mayo (Jax - 4 residents per year) other than not as many people to socalize with??

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry to disappoint, but I simply don't know the answer. Mayo-JAx seems to be a pretty strong program. Then again, a name doesn't make a program; the name has to be given for a reason. I've also heard some remark that people are suspicious of these spinoff programs.

Then again, I'm suspicious of "big names" sometimes and think that a quality program for us is one that provides quality training.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently a CA-1 at Mayo-Jax and I think our program is great...I am, however, admittedly biased :D
See www.scutwork.com for a couple of reviews about our program. I think they speak for themselves.

Cheers,
PMMD

pmichaelmd said:
I am currently a CA-1 at Mayo-Jax and I think our program is great...I am, however, admittedly biased :D
See www.scutwork.com for a couple of reviews about our program. I think they speak for themselves.

Cheers,
PMMD

I too must hand it to Mayo; it sounds like everything I'd want in a program. Of those who went into fellowships last year, were they all Mayo fellowships? Also, how easy is it to go up to Rochester for rotations? Finally, what fellowships are offered at Mayo-Jax?