How hard is pharmacy school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nev

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am a new pre-pharmacy student to this great forum ..and I am stumped in making a future decision. I loved to get into medical school but the fact is that doctors don not have a lot of free time. Therefore the next closest thing is pharmacy. I just want to know about how hard pharmacy schools is and can an average brained person make it through.
Thanks
Nev

Members don't see this ad.

nev said:
Hi,
I am a new pre-pharmacy student to this great forum ..and I am stumped in making a future decision. I loved to get into medical school but the fact is that doctors don not have a lot of free time. Therefore the next closest thing is pharmacy. I just want to know about how hard pharmacy schools is and can an average brained person make it through.
Thanks
Nev

My math/science GPA was 3.9 with a major in biology.
First year of pharmacy school was a 3.42
Second year of pharmacy school is a 2.91

It gets harder every year. If you're good in science you'll probably do well. I don't know what you mean by average brained. Everyone in pharmacy school that I've met is definitely above average.

A lot harder than undergrad..
at least for me.....

i had a great time in undergrad and rarely had to study

here i'm killed

Members don't see this ad :)
i want to say that pharmacy school is not difficult, just really really busy. I only took 3 classes per quarter during undergrad and now i'm taking five classes each semester with externships, case studies and club activities on top of it. So i think the hardest thing about pharmacy school is just trying to juggle everything.

Dloi said:
i want to say that pharmacy school is not difficult, just really really busy. I only took 3 classes per quarter during undergrad and now i'm taking five classes each semester with externships, case studies and club activities on top of it. So i think the hardest thing about pharmacy school is just trying to juggle everything.

The key is TIME MANAGEMENT, otherwise pharmacy school is not too hard.

If Organic Chemistry makes sense to you, you will be fine.

Pharmacy school was easier than high school. If you went to a good undergraduate school then pharmacy school should be cake for you. My undergrad was pretty challenging.

crayola32 said:
Pharmacy school was easier than high school. If you went to a good undergraduate school then pharmacy school should be cake for you. My undergrad was pretty challenging.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

you definitely didn't go to my high school

crayola32 said:

I'm curious. Where did you go to high school, where did you get your undergrad degree and what was your major and where did you get your PharmD?

dgroulx said:
I'm curious. Where did you go to high school, where did you get your undergrad degree and what was your major and where did you get your PharmD?

I went to high school in california at a public high school. I didnt say high school was hard, just that pharmacy school was easier.

I went to college at UCLA, my major was chemistry. I also got a good score on the MCAT (over 30).

Id rather avoid where I went for pharmacy school, I could have gotten into every pharmacy school in california except for UCSF if I had applied to them all. Early into the program I realized I wasnt going to practice pharmacy. I did stay and finish the program, its rather complicated, but I havent worked a day in the field.

I think it's a pretty big stretch to say that pharmacy school is easier than high school...maybe i didn't read your post correctly, but I am pretty sure this is what you said. I find it hard to believe you want to compare a professional program to secondary/high school. Maybe your program was a joke or maybe you're a genius, I have no clue.
I agree to a point that pharmacy school isn't hard- it's alot of work and if you don't grasp the concepts then it will be difficult, but it's definitely not impossible. If you're not used to taking at least 5 classes per semester at the university level then it can be a challenge when it comes to time management. The program I'm in has 8 classes/semester.

crayola32 said:
I went to high school in california at a public high school. I didnt say high school was hard, just that pharmacy school was easier.

I went to college at UCLA, my major was chemistry. I also got a good score on the MCAT (over 30).

Id rather avoid where I went for pharmacy school, I could have gotten into every pharmacy school in california except for UCSF if I had applied to them all. Early into the program I realized I wasnt going to practice pharmacy. I did stay and finish the program, its rather complicated, but I havent worked a day in the field.
While I'm sure you are a very credible source of information i'm going to advise most pre-pharms not to take what you are saying as the rule.

my advice for pre-pharms/new pharm students
assume pharmacy school is going to be the hardest classes/school you have attended with the worst professors.

this way when you go into it and take your first test you get better grades than you would have if you thought it was going to be as easy as say.... high school

i would rather be safe than sorry....

High school is a joke. Honestly.

From what most of my classmates have told me, pharmacy school is more difficult than undergrad due to time management issues. The material you learn is not overly difficult (which I think is also true of dentistry and medical school), but the amount of information can be overwhelming especially if you're involved in organizations, class government, etc. Therapeutics always seems to be the class mentioned as a killer, but I'm only a first year pharmacy student so I haven't had it yet. I'll go out here on a limb and say that I think your clinical work (rotations, APPE's, etc.) will be the most difficult part of your 4 years of training at pharmacy school. It's where you have to put together everything you've learned from didactic classes into real world application. I think the same goes for dentistry and medicine, as a lot of my friends in both programs have said something similiar to that effect.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lexian said:
I'll go out here on a limb and say that I think your clinical work (rotations, APPE's, etc.) will be the most difficult part of your 4 years of training at pharmacy school. It's where you have to put together everything you've learned from didactic classes into real world application. I think the same goes for dentistry and medicine, as a lot of my friends in both programs have said something similiar to that effect.

If for some reason you all don't see me on here anymore after may.... its because Lexian was right about rotations being the roughest part and i have
A) Died
B) quit school

I have not heard here that the rotations are the hardest part....I know that the instructors ask questions and if you don't know the answers you must look them up that night and write a paper on it but i really think i could handle that.... As long as its not like this........

please don't be right.... :scared: :scared: :scared:

BTW there are no crying "faces" to express how i feel about this possibility

And while yes... in theory the material is not that hard... it is definitely the sheer amount of material expected to "learn" in a very very limited amount of time

Also I can't stress enough to those of you early in pharm school... really try to learn things... do not just study for the tests... you really will need it in the future...
i know
i didn't believe it either but it would have made my life easier

I remember high school. Did you see the movie Dazed and Confused about high school in the 1970's? Let me stress high in high school. The girls bathroom was always thick with pot smoke. Sometimes I went to class. I still managed to keep a 3.2 GPA. If I had this attitude with pharmacy school, I would have flunked out my first semester.

Several of my undergrad classes were harder than my pharmacy school classes. Like everyone has said, it is the amount of work that is hard. You can't go by credit hours. For instance, Practicum is a one credit hour course. For that one credit hour each week, I have a 2 hour rotation and another 1 hour class called Integrated Case Studies which requires research and presentations. It isn't hard, but this extra work eats into your study time.

Overall, I find that pharmacy school is more difficult than undergrad and much, much more difficult than high school.

dgroulx said:
I remember high school. Did you see the movie Dazed and Confused about high school in the 1970's? Let me stress high in high school. The girls bathroom was always thick with pot smoke. Sometimes I went to class. I still managed to keep a 3.2 GPA. If I had this attitude with pharmacy school, I would have flunked out my first semester.

Several of my undergrad classes were harder than my pharmacy school classes. Like everyone has said, it is the amount of work that is hard. You can't go by credit hours. For instance, Practicum is a one credit hour course. For that one credit hour each week, I have a 2 hour rotation and another 1 hour class called Integrated Case Studies which requires research and presentations. It isn't hard, but this extra work eats into your study time.

Overall, I find that pharmacy school is more difficult than undergrad and much, much more difficult than high school.

The reason I said it was easier than high school is because I spent less time going to class or studying the material. I went to high school everyday, I missed most days of pharmacy school. The material isnt difficult, I can agree that its a lot of material, much more than the material in high school, but the level of difficulty isnt any higher. Any monkey can learn a list of side effects and drug interactions. The clinical stuff might be tougher to grasp but most dont bother with it anyways, they want to make money and be retail rxists. I had never worked in pharmacy, not before pharm school, not during and not after. I easily passed EVERY single class and rotation, on top of that I did a study that could have been published had I pursued it.

My undergraduate was the opposite.... Complicated abstract theory, major calculations, not as much material but the level of difficulty was exponentially higher. Multi-variable calculus, diff eq, and 5-6 engineering level physics courses cant compare in difficulty to the pharmacology or pharmacokinetic material. Perhaps biology majors have it easy undergrad and thats why many of my pharmacy classmates thought pharmacy school was hard, or maybe it was because they were from less strenuous undergraduate schools.

I think the same holds true for any professional school (medical, dental, vet, optometry). In my experience everyone intelligent found the material easy but the workload immense. IMO pharmacy school is a joke, to get a doctorate seems rediculous. Its just a glorified vocational school. ANY tech can do what a pharmacist does and MOST techs barely graduated high school.

Im not here to flame anyone for being a pharmacist or for wanting to go to pharmacy school, please dont be offended, afterall I too went to pharmacy school. The field has been dumbed down, back when pharmacists actually compounded medication and had to know chemistry it was a real profession. Retail pharmacists are nothing more than specialized customer service reps. Obviously this excludes clinicians and people who work in resarch.

Pharmacy schools are popping up left and right, its a business first a school second. They focus on producing retail pharmacists, the chains need them (they are big businesses too). Again, this isnt all schools, the schools that were established 100 years ago have produced intelligent individuals that have made advances in the field, but nowadays that is fading, the majority of graduates arent "professional" and the newer schools certainly arent capable of providing the caliber of education that the established schools do.

I havent been impressed with anyone (even most faculty) I met at pharmacy school or anyone who is a pharmacist. Again maybe I am jaded because of the classmates I had in undergrad, I dont know, but I do know that anyone can get into and graduate from pharmacy school. It was clearly evident to me from both my classmates and my preceptors. You dont even need to have a grasp of the english language. I had a classmate once ask me for the directions of use of the "Jurassic" patch. This is one example of 100's maybe 1000's I could give.

crayola32 said:
The reason I said it was easier than high school is because I spent less time going to class or studying the material. I went to high school everyday, I missed most days of pharmacy school. The material isnt difficult, I can agree that its a lot of material, much more than the material in high school, but the level of difficulty isnt any higher. Any monkey can learn a list of side effects and drug interactions. The clinical stuff might be tougher to grasp but most dont bother with it anyways, they want to make money and be retail rxists. I had never worked in pharmacy, not before pharm school, not during and not after. I easily passed EVERY single class and rotation, on top of that I did a study that could have been published had I pursued it.

My undergraduate was the opposite.... Complicated abstract theory, major calculations, not as much material but the level of difficulty was exponentially higher. Multi-variable calculus, diff eq, and 5-6 engineering level physics courses cant compare in difficulty to the pharmacology or pharmacokinetic material. Perhaps biology majors have it easy undergrad and thats why many of my pharmacy classmates thought pharmacy school was hard, or maybe it was because they were from less strenuous undergraduate schools.

I think the same holds true for any professional school (medical, dental, vet, optometry). In my experience everyone intelligent found the material easy but the workload immense. IMO pharmacy school is a joke, to get a doctorate seems rediculous. Its just a glorified vocational school. ANY tech can do what a pharmacist does and MOST techs barely graduated high school.

Im not here to flame anyone for being a pharmacist or for wanting to go to pharmacy school, please dont be offended, afterall I too went to pharmacy school. The field has been dumbed down, back when pharmacists actually compounded medication and had to know chemistry it was a real profession. Retail pharmacists are nothing more than specialized customer service reps. Obviously this excludes clinicians and people who work in resarch.

Pharmacy schools are popping up left and right, its a business first a school second. They focus on producing retail pharmacists, the chains need them (they are big businesses too). Again, this isnt all schools, the schools that were established 100 years ago have produced intelligent individuals that have made advances in the field, but nowadays that is fading, the majority of graduates arent "professional" and the newer schools certainly arent capable of providing the caliber of education that the established schools do.

I havent been impressed with anyone (even most faculty) I met at pharmacy school or anyone who is a pharmacist. Again maybe I am jaded because of the classmates I had in undergrad, I dont know, but I do know that anyone can get into and graduate from pharmacy school. It was clearly evident to me from both my classmates and my preceptors. You dont even need to have a grasp of the english language. I had a classmate once ask me for the directions of use of the "Jurassic" patch. This is one example of 100's maybe 1000's I could give.

i take it your glass is half empty

crayola32 said:
but I do know that anyone can get into and graduate from pharmacy school.

:laugh:

Not quite.

I would actually say that it depends on what challanges you. I have several friends who have breezed through engineering but find pharmacy school difficult as well as the material.

And of course the situation goes both ways.

If you find something that comes naturally to you some find that satisfying however some need a challenge in life.

my curriculum is definitely more clinical and all of our professors act like retail pharmacy is the devil and no one will ever go into it.
we don't learn anything practical to the retail setting and in some situations it causes myself and classmates to yell out... "if i had wanted to go to med school i would have"

For those interested in the topic and want to know what is expected out of me as a pharmacy student i have this thread....
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=162809&highlight=learn

If you would like to know the expectations on another subject just let me know...
BTW this is in my therapeutics class.

bbmuffin said:
I would actually say that it depends on what challanges you. I have several friends who have breezed through engineering but find pharmacy school difficult as well as the material.

And of course the situation goes both ways.

If you find something that comes naturally to you some find that satisfying however some need a challenge in life.

my curriculum is definitely more clinical and all of our professors act like retail pharmacy is the devil and no one will ever go into it.
we don't learn anything practical to the retail setting and in some situations it causes myself and classmates to yell out... "if i had wanted to go to med school i would have"

For those interested in the topic and want to know what is expected out of me as a pharmacy student i have this thread....
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=162809&highlight=learn

If you would like to know the expectations on another subject just let me know...
BTW this is in my therapeutics class.

Well said!! I just want to add that all of our tests were case based (we never had multiple choice anything), the old california exam used to have an essay portion and it actually contained one extensive major case study so students here had to be prepared to answer those types of questions. I always thought if you knew the SEs, ADRs, doses etc then you could work your way through the cases. You just have to be thorough and digest all the info presented. That thing in your link with the Vioxx having to be DCed is damn tricky.

One thing I did hate was all the SOAP notes we had to write. Some of my exams were just that, writing the A and P based on the S and O.

crayola32 said:
Well said!! I just want to add that all of our tests were case based (we never had multiple choice anything), the old california exam used to have an essay portion and it actually contained one extensive major case study so students here had to be prepared to answer those types of questions. I always thought if you knew the SEs, ADRs, doses etc then you could work your way through the cases. You just have to be thorough and digest all the info presented. That thing in your link with the Vioxx having to be DCed is damn tricky.

One thing I did hate was all the SOAP notes we had to write. Some of my exams were just that, writing the A and P based on the S and O.

I'd like to know how you're paying for everything. As someone who is graduating from pharmacy school next year, and planning to attend graduate school (research) in the future, I am broker than broke. How are you swallowing up what could easily be a quarter of a million dollars in tuition/living expenses?

jdpharmd? said:
I'd like to know how you're paying for everything. As someone who is graduating from pharmacy school next year, and planning to attend graduate school (research) in the future, I am broker than broke. How are you swallowing up what could easily be a quarter of a million dollars in tuition/living expenses?

I started and owned my own business as an undergrad, I sold that when I was starting grad school bc I thought grad school would be too demanding. I paid for undergrad, no loans. I took loans for grad school. While in grad school I invested my money. Since grad school I have at times just lived off my savings and other times invested into short term business opportunities. The entire time I have been looking into some longer term business investments so far everything has fallen through for one reason or another but currently I am working on 2 projects that seem to be very lucrative. I also was a semi-professional gambler and was able to pay my bills thanks to the casinos (this was way before the poker craze, I never played poker for profit anyways).

The loans themselves arent bad, I only pay $500 a month towards my school loan (thats less than half my car payment) and then quarterly I pay an additional 300 for a different loan. I could have even opted for a lower than $500 payment if I selectd the graduated payment plan, but I felt a standard $500 every month was fine, its actually $470 and change. All in all I will end up paying MAX 170-180k if I go full term on my loans. Thats not much, I was once offered a pharmacy position for 160k a year, so 2 years of fulltime work can clear the loan debt. Im not licensed to practice so I couldnt have accepted even if I was interested.

I wanted to add to what I had written.

As a profession I think pharmacy is great. If you want a simple job with a decent salary then pharmacy is probably the number one job for you. i know a pharmacist that makes $500 a day checking 30 prescriptions (27-28 are refills). Thats almost $17 a pop, I dont think any other job can beat that. Works great for her at the end of the day she goes home with no worries.

Personally for me its not about the money. I can make more than a pharmacist doing none pharmacy "jobs", but if I had to make less and keep my current life style, I would. I dont have to report to anyone, I dont have to shave or wear a tie, etc etc etc. To me the thrill is coming up with an original idea, devising a battle plan, taking the financial risk and watching it grow. Usually I bail on the idea once I realize it will work, the thrill is gone for me at that point. At this point pople say "well not everyone can take a financial risk", but I startd with less than $500. I plan on getting licensed so I can have somthing to fall back on, also I have a new idea that involves pharmacy so I think id rather be the pharmacist myself, versus hiring and paying someone 120k annually (atleast initially).

*cough* not to be rude but...
back to the topic -
any current pharmacy students have any idea of the average hours of study per week they put in?
oh, here's one...how about, # of all-nighters per semester?
-skp :thumbup:

crayola32 said:

I'm sorry you had a not so desirable experience while in pharmacy school. Sometimes it just works out that way, and maybe the profession and school wasn't what you thought it was initially when you applied. It happens. I think I would feel the same way if I was suddenly thrown into an engineering school or a dental school. It's just not my thing and I'd feel kind of jaded too. I definitely agree with you that the profession has regressed a bit in terms of the role they play in retail settings, but I think there are people pushing to change that and it will take time (and public support most likely) to make it happen. I think it will though. Hopefully you'll find some use for your degree in the future if not practicing as a traditional pharmacist.

I'm not sure why, but pretty much all of the pharmacy students I've met so far (I went to UOP as an undergrad, and I know quite a few people at USC) have been very intelligent, hard working people. For the most part, I've been happy with the faculty at UCSF although there are some exceptions and I know of several not so popular professors at UOP. But that's always going to happen. There are always exceptions I guess, but I feel lucky to have met a lot of good people early on in school.

skp said:
back to the topic -
any current pharmacy students have any idea of the average hours of study per week they put in?

I don't perform well on exams without sleep, so I haven't pulled any all nighters. Not even during undergrad. I will say I probably study an average of 3-4 hours a night on the weekdays and a bit more on the weekends. At least that was the case last quarter. This winter quarter those numbers have been going up, up, up....

crayola32 said:
The loans themselves arent bad, I only pay $500 a month towards my school loan (thats less than half my car payment) and then quarterly I pay an additional 300 for a different loan.
Very interesting. Thanks. Not to stay off-topic, but what kind of car payment is $1000+ monthly? Porsche? Aston-Martin?

skp said:
back to the topic -
Personally, maybe 10 hours/wk of studying, +17-24 hours/wk working, zero all-nighters. I'm sure that my class has someone who studys 6 hours/NIGHT and someone who studies maybe 2 hours per WEEK for the same grades(with at least one exam weekly). Pharmacy experience/Higher level science courses in undergrad helps a lot. Good test taking skills also help (aka being a good eliminator/guesser). All the 90%+ PCAT folks probably count as good test-takers. I had a 96%, and it was not because I knew the material cold. ;)

jdpharmd? said:
Personally, maybe 10 hours/wk of studying, +17-24 hours/wk working, zero all-nighters. I'm sure that my class has someone who studys 6 hours/NIGHT and someone who studies maybe 2 hours per WEEK for the same grades(with at least one exam weekly). Pharmacy experience/Higher level science courses in undergrad helps a lot. Good test taking skills also help (aka being a good eliminator/guesser). All the 90%+ PCAT folks probably count as good test-takers. I had a 96%, and it was not because I knew the material cold. ;)

ha,ha...yeah i got a 95 and their was a lot i didn't know! guess i'm a good test taker - that's good because i suck at a lot of other things :D

Wow, crayola32, you were offered 160K a year as a pharmacist even though you weren't interested, weren't licensed and couldn't practice anyway? Exactly what did you have to offer that made you such a compelling candidate? Reading the other material in your posts, you are obviously a very talented individual. I'm not saying I disbelieve what you're saying, just that your abilities might be better utilized for national defense. We are also looking for Osama bin Laden if you're interested.

pharmprospect said:
Wow, crayola32, you were offered 160K a year as a pharmacist even though you weren't interested, weren't licensed and couldn't practice anyway? Exactly what did you have to offer that made you such a compelling candidate? Reading the other material in your posts, you are obviously a very talented individual. I'm not saying I disbelieve what you're saying, just that your abilities might be better utilized for national defense. We are also looking for Osama bin Laden if you're interested.

LOL, I dont think it has as much to do with my talent as it does with their desperation to have someone. The owners of these pharmacies are making a killing, they will offer anything to get somone they can trust to help their business grow. I have a good history of business development and I know how to manage.

For example, I know of one institution locally that could bring in a good 4-5 million a year in prescription sales and its only about 3 hours worth of work each day with a 1-2 man crew, some days even less depending on the number of new orders. Anyone that can get that contract is set. Most people just dont know about it. The best part is you lock in the contract, make money on it and then sell the facility and the contract to a bigger home health care pharmacy like Omnicare, they pay top dollar for things like that. A year later you start a new pharmacy and solicit the instituition for their contract after the Omnicare agreement expires. Start the cycle again. IV providers make even more, but you need to know your **** if you are going to run an IV facility.

Just to add my 2 cents. So far I have not found pharmacy school all that challenging. The hardest part is that most of the professors are not hired for their teaching ability. As a result, you have to learn on your own. Since that is my primary method of learning it is not a problem, but I do know a number of people that have a lot of trouble. Once you have been accepted grades do not matter that much anyways. The difference between a B and an A could mean another 15-20 hours of studying and is just not really worth the time it takes for an extra 4 or 5 points on a test. If you really want to get the most out of pharmacy school, then I would suggest focusing on extracurricular activities. There are clubs, events, meetings, etc. that happen regularly and will give you much more insight into the profession and what it means to be a pharmacist than isolating yourself and trying to get straight A's. I probably only study about 6-7 per class per exam and with no previous pharmacy experience I have had no trouble getting B's or higher. This will change of course when you hit medchem. At our school it is a 10 credit class with exams every week that basically require memorizing 60-100 pages of material per unit. Other than that, enjoy your time at school and make the most of it. It can really be a lot of fun!

thanks crayola32, you obviously have great business sense. i appreciate your expanding on that point. best of wishes to you.

crayola32 said:

:laugh: I have no idea what you all are responding to crayola. Join date jan 2005? 0+ post? Guess who it is...

J Lucas said:
:laugh: I have no idea what you all are responding to crayola. Join date jan 2005? 0+ post? Guess who it is...

Who? Tell me who? I joined to get insight on the NAPLEX and Cali MPJE. Now if you seem to know who I am then please PM me and let me know.

J Lucas said:
I responded because crayola32 did nothing to enrage me and had some very interesting points/ideas.

bbmuffin said:
I responded because crayola32 did nothing to enrage me and had some very interesting points/ideas.

Thanks, Im still waiting for my PM from this chump who thinks he knows who I am.

yes pharm school is a high school

it is moer like community college not medical school

peace :thumbup:

tangellow said:
yes pharm school is a high school

it is moer like community college not medical school

peace :thumbup:

Ah, yes, more beautiful insight from the brain surgeon who only posts comments in pre-Pharmacy threads to start arguements. Grow up.....and use spell check cause your grammer and your spelling downright suck.

Have a nice day!!! :thumbup:

Laferno said:
Ah, yes, more beautiful insight from the brain surgeon who only posts comments in pre-Pharmacy threads to start arguements. Grow up.....and use spell check cause your grammer and your spelling downright suck.

Have a nice day!!! :thumbup:

Umm...it's grammar, not grammer. ;)

you are all taking this too seriously- chill out- that is insane how that message was- now get a life!

The hardest part about pharmacy school is sometimes dealing with the people in it...

When they hit you with a Pathophys/Therapeutics test and a due date for a written assignment (6 pages..yay) Monday, a Medicinal Chemistry test Wednesday, and a Pharmacology test Friday, all while working 20 hours during the week at a pharmacy, any conceivable comparisons to high school are silly. Each one of these tests contain about as much information and requirement for abstract thought as about an entire undergraduate semester finals week in and of themselves. Your brain gets used to it though. I couldn't have handled the load I have now back when I was 18 and entering college.

A person who actually thinks pharmacy school is as easy as high school either has an IQ of 175 or somehow went to Princeton for high school.

WVUPharm2007 said:
When they hit you with a Pathophys/Therapeutics test and a due date for a written assignment (6 pages..yay) Monday, a Medicinal Chemistry test Wednesday, and a Pharmacology test Friday, all while working 20 hours during the week at a pharmacy, any conceivable comparisons to high school are silly.

I hear you. I have a therapeutics exam on Wednesday, the following week I have med chem and professional communications exams, the week after that I have exams in kinetics and pharmacology. During that span of time, I have 4 therapeutics verbal defense sessions plus the normal written assignments and presentations. That's 15 school days and I have to be on campus for 13 of those days. Now add 3 hours per day for my commute to school and back and 4 hours of lectures to watch per day. So much for distance learning. Thank God for weekends.

WVUPharm2007 said:
When they hit you with a Pathophys/Therapeutics test and a due date for a written assignment (6 pages..yay) Monday, a Medicinal Chemistry test Wednesday, and a Pharmacology test Friday, all while working 20 hours during the week at a pharmacy, any conceivable comparisons to high school are silly. Each one of these tests contain about as much information and requirement for abstract thought as about an entire undergraduate semester finals week in and of themselves. Your brain gets used to it though. I couldn't have handled the load I have now back when I was 18 and entering college.

A person who actually thinks pharmacy school is as easy as high school either has an IQ of 175 or somehow went to Princeton for high school.

6 page paper? In undergrad every paper I wrote for a science class was atleast double that. 6 pages is more than most HS papers I wrote but the subject matter for the pharmacy papers is easy. Its fact based, you can almost sit at your keyboard and just type away. Only one assignment, which was more like a thesis, was actually original work. That took 4 months, fulltime, was all orginal work (no regurgitation), but still wasnt more difficult than anything I had done in undergrad. Just VERY time consuming.

If I hadnt gone to a Cali school I would just assume it was my school that was easy but I have classmates that failed the Cali exam and got 119% on the NAPLEX and that suggests that I was at a more rigorous program or at the very least the caliber of student in my class is higher versus school XYZ in state ABC. I havent been to any pharmacy school outside of California, but I can say that some of my classmates shouldnt have been allowed anywhere near a pharmacy school, let alone into one. My experience holds true for the othr school sin California as well, with the exception of UCSF. I do not have any first hand experience with the school or its students.

crayola32 said:
but I can say that some of my classmates shouldnt have been allowed anywhere near a pharmacy school, let alone into one.

Yes i can definitely agree to this statement....... which is why my class has gone from 126 to 104.... We gained a few but obviously we lost way more than we gained. My class is the only one in my school like this... i have some theories about why this occured.......

I honestly don't feel like 6 pages is all that much either but i do agree with the point that each and every test is more like a final in undergrad than a regular test. Except that for finals in undergrad i still just studied a few days before the tests instead of keeping up in the class.

Little assignements in stupid classes are very annoying and take entirely too much of my time for the credit they are worth.

bbmuffin said:
Yes i can definitely agree to this statement....... which is why my class has gone from 126 to 104.... We gained a few but obviously we lost way more than we gained. My class is the only one in my school like this... i have some theories about why this occured.......

Did these 22 people withdraw, fail and are just a year behind or fail out of the program?

Ok...
We lost
11 in pcol 1
2 in pcol 2
6 in therapeutics 1
A couple the first year in biochem/physiology
A couple in pharmacokinetics
and we had one drop out in the middle of our very first semester.

So one withdrew..... several are a year behind (perhaps 2 years) and some that have failed out of the program.

We have gained 3-4 from the class in front of us