University of Colorado- Denver

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

misfit

Blinded Me With Science
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I recently interviewed at UCHSC Denver for Anesthesiology.

I guess I was impressed with it on paper and during the presentations, but I never got to see the new Fitzsimons Campus in person.

Also, I am not sure how strong or competitive they are.

Could anyone give me some honest feedback about this place.

My eyes are starred over from the beautiful mountains, nice city, etc. But, I wish to be a little more objective.

I really need more information/opinions on the program's quality of training.

Thanks

misfit

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone else have comments on this program?

Did anyone interview here? If so, let me know your Pro's and Con's.

Right now, Colorado remains my #1 on the ROL, because even if it's not extremely strong academically, it's still very good. And, I really want to be happy when I am off work.

Still, I need more information, please post.

misfit

I will copy and paste my review I wrote in the "2005/2006 residency review" forum. Your question was the same I had during the interview day and after being in the mountains the day before. I think most of us get a little "snowed" by the great city and tend to rank it higher. Here is my review:

COLORADO

Sorry...interviewed here a while back and forgot to post review. I'm glad the interview season is coming to an END!

I will echo what "Leto" stated about the structure of the program and interview day, but I found this place to be average in terms of training.

Negative-Throughout the day different people stated problems in many different areas.....Cards (big), Pain/regional (from an attending), and critical care/ICU were the big ones. Didactics average. I have no idea what the facilites look like because they don't give you a tour of the hospital..... I know we are kinda getting sick of the "hospital tour", but it makes me wonder if they hiding something?? It's only a 3 year program with a limited number of good first year spots.....you may have to pick up a preliminary surgery year if you want to stay here the entire 4 years. Cost of living is crazy. Forget about buying anything half way decent near denver. You can buy in Aurora and other areas, but there is tons of crime/homless in the those areas. If Denver had no mountains next door I doubt anyone would rank it high.

Positive- OB, research, and PEds are strong. The Chair and Director were pretty awesome. They really care for the residents! Last RRC visit gave them the full 4 years. They are due back this year. All the residents were nice and very honest. They are moving to a brand new facility in the spring of 2007 (Aurora)....very nice! Denver is one of the nicest cities I've been to and you can SKI on your days off!!!!!