Emory's reputation question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ncstudentdoc

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. Last couple of posts about Emory did not get much response so I am asking any knowledgable residents or soon-to-be-residents for input about Emory. Specifically, what is the reputation in academic circles--if you want to do academic anesthesia, is Emory a 'good enough' program? What exactly have people heard about its graduates, faculty, etc? Why are there NO reviews (still) on Scutwork--does the program stink? Is it a top-20 program, bottom 1/3, last place, what? Am I the only person in America interested in the place? Is there anybody out there?

I know it is not JHU or MGH, etc., so please, give us all a break and save any flaming replies.... I would just like some honest feedback on what the community thinks of the program. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I can't speak to residency issues, but Emory is a well-respected anesthesia department. We've got a number of Emory-trained anesthesiologists on staff at my hospital, including a past president of the ASA. There are some great faculty people there including the department chairman and several others whose names are instantly recognized in anesthesia circles.

As someone who did an away elective, I can tell you the program is for real, and I'd put it in the top 20. From what the residents told me, Dr. Zaidan the chairman, is a not only well known (he's a product of MGH), but he's extremely down to earth and in touch with his department.

The training is great. The residents spend time at Grady, Crawford Long, Emory, Egleston Children's, and the Outpt. Ortho/Spine center. Everyone seems to like the multi-setting experience.

Relative weaknesses are pain and regional, but I don't think that matters very much unless you already know you want to do regional immediately after residency.
Cardiac is one of the best 3 or 4 in the country, no doubt. Peds is also good. Lots of transplants too. One overlooked aspect was the trauma exposure at Grady. They have the 1st call system, and the junior residents get to manage the rooms with a real sense of autonomy. In terms of time, they work hard, but they are usually out by 4 or 5, something the guys at bigger name programs can't say. The residents are landing good jobs and fellowships.

Best of luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Emory is great. I have been told by several people in the field that it is the second fastest growing program (behind Univ. of Miami) in terms of academics, research, and strong clinicals. Several people have said they see Emory as a premier program in the very near future.

Emory won't be ranked highly because of it's call schedule, and my wife isn't thrilled with call. Pain and regional also seemed less than stellar.

Other than this, Emory is super-star material. Chair and PD were exemplary; the Chair came in on a Saturday morning just to hang around with us while waiting between interviews. PD a good enough salesman to skip the House and run for Senate. Residents were very happy, proud of their training. Atlanta has something for everyone; big city life, and happy, southern country living just outside of the 275 beltway. It's cheap, too.

I'm already thinking of this place for fellowship.

Wow, thanks for the quick and very positive responses! Of course if anyone has anything negative to say, that would be appreciated as well, since I want the truth. Some of the faculty at my school just did not seem to know much about the place and that made me nervous since they are very outspoken about the strengths of other good programs in the South.

I even asked a chaiman of a very well respected southern program about Emory (during an interview, :eek: ) when he listed the best programs in the South and Emory was not on his list--I asked him why not and things got a little uncomfortable. It was a dumb question, very dumb--I knew it immediately, but I still pressed him to tell me why his program and the three others he listed were in a different class than Emory. He talked about reputation in general terms and how sometimes it is not deserved, etc., and I got the impression Emory has a bad reputation. (Needless to say, that interview did not go well and I will probably not be listed highly on their list now. Oh well; but I do feel bad for putting him in a bad spot like that.)

I personally had a great time interviewing at Emory and will rank it highly--I am just trying to decide now if it will be number one or not, so your input is greatly appreciated. Thanks again!

I forgot as it was among my first interviews back in November. Thanks!

GasPundit said:
Emory won't be ranked highly because of it's call schedule, and my wife isn't thrilled with call. Pain and regional also seemed less than stellar.

I don't remember the call schedule being so horrible? Maybe i'm mistaken...I'd appreciate your input on that. Also...since regional seems to be a common complaint...who are the big places for regional and pain?

thanks,
geddy

GeddyLee said:
Also...since regional seems to be a common complaint...who are the big places for regional and pain?

Supposedly St.Lukes-Roosevelt in Manhattan is the epicenter for regionals.

-Skip

GeddyLee said:
I don't remember the call schedule being so horrible? Maybe i'm mistaken...I'd appreciate your input on that. Also...since regional seems to be a common complaint...who are the big places for regional and pain?

thanks,
geddy

I prefer the nightfloat systems. I simply don't like that post-call feeling, and would rather lump it all up if possible. Others don't like nightfloat, frequently pointing out the post-call day off as a positive. I could never figure out what to do with that day...

Duke's regional experience is top-notch in my opinion.

Just a little tidbit about Emory's research standings (I know this doesn't necessarily "make" a program, but it does say something):

While I interviewed there, I believe that we were told that they moved all the way up to #6 in NIH funding in the nation in 2004. This was up considerably from the 2003 rankings. I believe that it is headed by their liver expert there who is said (if I remember correctly) to be the "world's" authority in liver transplants, etc.

Thanks for the feedback.

MAC Man said:
From what the residents told me, Dr. Zaidan the chairman, is a not only well known (he's a product of MGH), but he's extremely down to earth and in touch with his department and fellowships.

Don't take the fact that because he's a product of MGH that the program is better. That program is malignant, and many people decline their offers. I've even heard that they try to sell themselves by saying, "well, if you come here, you'll always be associated with Harvard."

MAC Man said:
Relative weaknesses are pain and regional, but I don't think that matters very much unless you already know you want to do regional immediately after residency.

I don't know much about Emory - but don't let people tell you that learning regional techniques is not important (this is sometimes said by programs that don't have strong regional exposure). The use of regional anesthesia (PNB and PNB catheters in particular) continues to increase and not just in academic centers. Patients will push for these techniques for their surgery as the public becomes more informed. It will be harder to learn all of the different blocks after your are done with residency (when you are focusing on your own cases, etc.)

For one thing, Emory is an excellent academic institution that is mostly known for their cardiac program. I would also add caution that some people are going to talk down about programs b/c they think that if you talk bad about programs that you will rank them lower and help them match. Just go with what you liked best.

As for Dr. Cheda (sp?), she was hired at Emory to boost the research dept. She is not that well known for her liver transplants, but for her research and NIH grants. I would add caution that she has been to UCSF, UCLA, Michigan, and one other program all within a short amount of time.

Overall, I think that Emory is a top tier program that I plan to rank very high, maybe even #1/#2. The most important thing is to make the decision for yourself and not to listen to others on this program now. I agree that this is good for finding out about applying to certain programs, but if you've interviewed somewhere, you need to make these decisions for yourself.

Emory is one of the best, period. If you have any questions, I would e-mail their chief resident, Todd Wheeler. He's a straight shooter and a good friend.