Why is NOVA no good?? Is it worth it to interview there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RockandRoll

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having second thoughts about interviewing at NOVA and I am starting to think I should cancel my flight out there. I have heard some negative things about the school and I don't quite understand if they prepare you for the boards or for the Florida State License test. Can someone help me with the pros and cons of going to NOVA??? Thanks! :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

They will prepare for the FL board. But for part 1 there numbers are weak. Also they don't have enough patients for all there students. Those are the main reasons the people I spoke to can't understand why the education is getting weaker. I told my brother not to go there.

RockandRoll said:
I am having second thoughts about interviewing at NOVA and I am starting to think I should cancel my flight out there. I have heard some negative things about the school and I don't quite understand if they prepare you for the boards or for the Florida State License test. Can someone help me with the pros and cons of going to NOVA??? Thanks! :confused:

Hey, I was in the same situation as yourself. I few there from Canada for the interview. I was really impressed with their school. It’s very nice as its new. It has a great location being in a very clean and friendly area. Personally I liked how its located in the same area as there other Health Profession buildings. This way you will meet many people other than all your optometrist classmates. Also, some first year classes (Biochem etc.) are with the dentists. I think this is great to have the opportunity to meet many people in different Health areas. On the other hand, they do have low passing rates on the boards. It definitely is a con. But I think if you are serious about passing and work hard, you'll pass no matter which school you go to. So yeah other than rates on boards I think it is a great school. I’m definitely glad I flew down there for the interview. It gives you the real picture as it has a bad rep on here. Plus flying down there is like a vacation. It’s Florida!

Members don't see this ad :)
Let me just say, as omeone from the hurricane state, that Nova was my first choice until I had my interview! After that, I decided I was not going to go there unless it was the only place I got into. They are so extraordinarily unorganized that it amazes me they get anything done! It's kind of scary, but the only thing anyone really ever says about it is that "the school is new and nice looking". I have never heard anyone say anything about how wonderful of an education you will receive--that and their part I scores really scared me off. Not to mention the horrendous price for housing in Ft. Lauderdale...and trust me, our weather down here is pretty miserable most of the year....150% humidity ALWAYS :scared:

chemgirlie said:
...and trust me, our weather down here is pretty miserable most of the year....150% humidity ALWAYS :scared:

Hmm, I have to disagree about the weather- sunny and highs in the mid 70's in the winter (and humidity in winter is pretty low), and summer wasn't much different from the summers in Ohio- just a little bit warmer and a little bit more humid. I've been there in Jan and Feb and also in August- thought the climate was great! If you want miserable weather, move to Ohio- winters cold, cloudy and dreary with alot of rain and snow, and summers are mostly hot and humid, even though it is sunny.

I went to my interview at NOVA yesterday. Despite all the negative talk, I found my visit to be better than I expected. I was very impressed with the facilities and the interdisciplinary atmosphere. They are currently taking steps to improve their board pass rates by offering a Kaplan review course for the boards which will be in effect this year. The faculty is pretty diverse coming from all different colleges of optometry. I was also informed last year that one of their students had the 5th highest board score for Part 1 in the nation. There are 3 areas in Florida for clinical rotations and they assured me that I would see enough patients (+1000). Utlimately, I think its up to you to succeed in any optometry program.

TPMOH said:
Hmm, I have to disagree about the weather- sunny and highs in the mid 70's in the winter (and humidity in winter is pretty low), and summer wasn't much different from the summers in Ohio- just a little bit warmer and a little bit more humid. I've been there in Jan and Feb and also in August- thought the climate was great! If you want miserable weather, move to Ohio- winters cold, cloudy and dreary with alot of rain and snow, and summers are mostly hot and humid, even though it is sunny.

Trust me, it may be hot during summers in northern cities, but it doesn't compare to the FL heat. While the heat might not be bad during a short vacation, being in it constantly with little change is harsh. Kinda funny though. I'll be up at OSU next year! Looking forward to changing seasons... You don't get that down here. But I guess it all depends on where you grew up.

meb302 said:
Trust me, it may be hot during summers in northern cities, but it doesn't compare to the FL heat. While the heat might not be bad during a short vacation, being in it constantly with little change is harsh. Kinda funny though. I'll be up at OSU next year! Looking forward to changing seasons... You don't get that down here. But I guess it all depends on where you grew up.

Congratulations on getting accepted to OSU- great school. The first year is pretty rough, but you'll learn alot. I've completed one year at OSU, but had to withdraw due to physical problems. I have fibromyalgia, and when we got into the exam procedures the 2nd yr, I was having a hard time bending and holding a position without too much pain. It's a little bit of a downer, especially since I found it very interesting and I was doing very well. But, oh well, I guess it wasn't the right field for me. Good luck next year! Believe me, the weather does stink here, though- you'll have quite a climate shock if you haven't lived up north before. You'll have to get used to not seeing much sun for months.

MikeD said:
I went to my interview at NOVA yesterday. Despite all the negative talk, I found my visit to be better than I expected. I was very impressed with the facilities and the interdisciplinary atmosphere. They are currently taking steps to improve their board pass rates by offering a Kaplan review course for the boards which will be in effect this year. The faculty is pretty diverse coming from all different colleges of optometry. I was also informed last year that one of their students had the 5th highest board score for Part 1 in the nation. There are 3 areas in Florida for clinical rotations and they assured me that I would see enough patients (+1000). Utlimately, I think its up to you to succeed in any optometry program.

I guess my concern is that do they prepare you for the florida boards only? I am definetly not planning to spend the rest of my life in FL so I would need to pass the national boards and feel confident about it. Also, did they explain the curriculum and what parts of it are with other health professions like the dentistry students? Lastly, since you speak so highly of the school is that where you are attending? Thanks

RockandRoll said:
I guess my concern is that do they prepare you for the florida boards only? I am definetly not planning to spend the rest of my life in FL so I would need to pass the national boards and feel confident about it. Also, did they explain the curriculum and what parts of it are with other health professions like the dentistry students? Lastly, since you speak so highly of the school is that where you are attending? Thanks

They prepare you to pass the national boards. According to the students there,The basic sciences are with dental students which can be kind of tough because sometimes the professors do not relate it back to optometry. I just wrote what stood out during my interview process for NOVA. I'm still doing interviews right now so everything is up in the air.

MikeD said:
They prepare you to pass the national boards. According to the students there,The basic sciences are with dental students which can be kind of tough because sometimes the professors do not relate it back to optometry. I just wrote what stood out during my interview process for NOVA. I'm still doing interviews right now so everything is up in the air.

Personally I think if you are a hard working student you will pass boards no matter where you study. But I was just wondering does anyone know how low Nova's passing rate is on the 1st Boards? Its one of the lowest, but its not outrageously low is it? I still think I'm going to go to Nova, but this thread has got me thinking a little. Haha

jb4teen said:
Personally I think if you are a hard working student you will pass boards no matter where you study. But I was just wondering does anyone know how low Nova's passing rate is on the 1st Boards? Its one of the lowest, but its not outrageously low is it? I still think I'm going to go to Nova, but this thread has got me thinking a little. Haha

I have heard it is as low as 55% but that could be a rumor.

When I called the school they told me it was 65% but 1 of the professors told me it was about 55% and that was why they were getting a 1 week intensive kaplan course.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think they recently established an extra summer program for students to prepare for the boards.

I was accepted to NOVA last year (I chose NOVA vs. ICO), and I have to say that it is true that the school doesn't have very high part 1 board passing rates, but they are working very hard to improve that. THey are adapting many new things, and what I LOVE so much about this school is that they care about what students want (unless one's a weiner, weiner's don't do so well at NOVA). THey ask us what we think would work for us and try to work with us. People are very polite and I love their professors they really care that their students do well, all you have to do is go and ask for help if you need any.
As far as the weather is concerned, it is not bad. Most people from the north they imagine Florida this "boiling piece of land" but it is not like that. During summers many other states have hotter weather than Florida, at least we have good AC's here that run all the time. You can go to the beach even on Christmas day, and get a tan.
The living expenses, well, I must say that it is by far less expensive than majority of states with optometry schools, have you looked at ICO rates or New England college of optometry?
Bottom line, doesn't matter where you go to school, all of them have strong and weak points, you need to make the best out of it wherever you go. You could graduate from Harvard Medical school and be the worst doctor that ever existed. It is all how much talent you have at being a doctor and all you need is for a school to present this information to you, the rest is up to you.

MikeD said:
Hmmm :rolleyes: , you were informed wrong, most classes that we take with other health colleges are either related to both health colleges (say OD and DDS), or they do the first part together (where general info is presented to both colleges) and they second half of semester they split us up and give each college specific information about their profession. In reality it is really fun to relate some of the information that you learn to other professions, it makes you realize how it all bind in together, gives you a larger point of view (or field of view as we soon to be optometrist would call it :laugh: ).

Great Post! I will be going to NOVA later this year and am really looking forward to it.

albaida said:
Hmmm :rolleyes: , you were informed wrong, most classes that we take with other health colleges are either related to both health colleges (say OD and DDS), or they do the first part together (where general info is presented to both colleges) and they second half of semester they split us up and give each college specific information about their profession. In reality it is really fun to relate some of the information that you learn to other professions, it makes you realize how it all bind in together, gives you a larger point of view (or field of view as we soon to be optometrist would call it :laugh: ).

I just wanna know, does NOVA actually have a rec center? I asked some of the students and they basically pointed out there's a Bally's and Curve's across the street. I hear they are building one...when is it gonna be finished?

KwijiboOO said:
I just wanna know, does NOVA actually have a rec center? I asked some of the students and they basically pointed out there's a Bally's and Curve's across the street. I hear they are building one...when is it gonna be finished?
No there is no Rec center, they're building one right now, it should be done by next year or something like that, not so sure about when exactly will be finished.

I was talking to my prehealth advisor today and he said he visited the campus and he thought it was very nice. The biggest surprise he had was the attendance policy, you must scan a card next to the class door (I think) and you must be present 90% of the time or you are subject to dismissal. The dress code though is somewhat lax compared to the written policy for women open toe shoes are worn as well as nonprovacative v-cut blouses. I asked about the low passage rate and he explained it away by the large class. The idea was that since Nova has a large class they accept less competitive applicants and thus they fail the part 1 boards the first time, which brings the question what is the overall passage rate? Based on his reasoning if you are a competitive applicant you will do fine at Nova. I forgot to mention he did visit the campus last week so he could be speaking from acccurate observation, which is my opinion, or just seminar type explanations.

I was talking to my prehealth advisor today and he said he visited the campus last week and he thought it was very nice. The biggest surprise he had was the attendance policy, you must scan a card next to the class door (I think) and you must be present 90% of the time or you are subject to dismissal. The dress code though is somewhat lax compared to the written policy for women open toe shoes are worn as well as nonprovacative v-cut blouses. I asked about the low passage rate and he explained it away by the large class. The idea was that since Nova has a large class they accept less competitive applicants and thus they fail the part 1 boards the first time, which brings the question what is the overall passage rate? Based on his reasoning if you are a competitive applicant you will do fine at Nova. He could be speaking from acccurate observation, which is my opinion, or just seminar type explanations.

Hi,

I've been to MCO and SUNY, and they both said the national average for part 1 of the boards was around 68%.

you are right ning, the national average for part one has been hovering around 67%.