SUNY no decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MikeD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all

I just interviewed at SUNY and got no decision. :(
Is there hope?

Members don't see this ad.

MikeD said:
Hey all

Is there hope?

I interviewed there in early December and I got the same letter. The student tour guide told us that it was really competitive this year - more applicants. He said they also like to wait, for some reason, until after UCBSO finishes interviewing. I think they don't want to fill the class up too fast or give acceptances to people who are waiting out on other schools. I have been waiting for a decision for a month and a half. Just hang in there and you'll be fine. Now for myself...we'll see.

I got the same letter awhile back...almost a month ago, they sent me acceptance letter, and I just mailed it back out with my deposit today.

Members don't see this ad :)
stompy said:
I got the same letter awhile back...almost a month ago, they sent me acceptance letter, and I just mailed it back out with my deposit today.

Congrats! Well..the waiting continues...thanks for the responses.

MikeD said:
Hey all

Is there hope?
\

What was your essay topic?

stompy said:

How much was the deposit?

yeah, i got the letter saying that they put my application "on hold" and that it would be review at a later date...grrrrrrr... :confused:

Hi,

I just interviewed at SUNY today. So what happens if you're put on hold? Does that mean they can accept you anytime from now until April or will you only know if you got in/not after April?
Yeah, that really sucks though...especially if you have other schools waiting on you. Dr. Johnston said I would recieve a letter next week regarding their decision! Guess this is what I get for applying late (early Jan.)!!! I'm guessing they were less selective in the beginning before they realized there was a 30% increase in applicants this year. BOO!!!

Ning-Ju

Hey,

Have any of you guys that were still waiting heard back from them yet? I got a no decision letter too. :( Perhaps after Berkeley sends out their decision we'll know more about where we stand.

Ning

SUNY put me "on hold" as well. They said it is more competitive this year because there are more applicants this year and bottom line, they want the highest OAT scores and the best GPA's. SUNY was my top choice, but after further investigation, I think I would do better academically at a less "cut-throat" institution. Who knows??? What does everyone else think?

I callled the other day and the lady told me that I would not find out til about mid April. The wait continues... However, I was just accepted into PCO :D

Members don't see this ad :)
MikeD said:
I callled the other day and the lady told me that I would not find out til about mid April. The wait continues... However, I was just accepted into PCO :D

Congratulations,
Now you know that you were accepted somewhere, so waiting for suny will not be that bad. Even if they reject you, you can still go to PCO, which is still a great school.

Hi All,

I sent in my application late so I had my interview in the second week of March. They placed me on hold and explained to me about their increase in applications this year. I just got accepted to NECO and am still waiting to hear from PCO. NECO notified me 2 days after my interview. I have to put in my deposit by April 24th. I should hear from SUNY tomorrow or Thursday. I know that the SUNY admission commitee met last Thursday and they were still interviewing as of this past Monday.

Michelle

Hi ppl,

I just got interviewed last month. And I also got a letter saying that SUNY has not reach a decision yet. I was told that I could call and find out April 13 which is today about the committee's decision. So for all of you who are really anxious like me call them up today or tommorrow and just ask. I'm going to....

stressed applicant

Hey guys,

I just called SUNY and they said the board made the decisions already and will have the list by tomorrow. So call tomorrow and see what happens! I wish you all the best of luck!

Ning-Ju

good luck everyone!

Hey everyone,

I just called SUNY and she said that I was 6th on the waitlist. She also said that I should have a better idea of where I stand after 2 weeks or so after people decide whether they want be kept on the waitist. However, all the seats are full at this point since everyone has turned in their deposit, so it now depends on those people relinquishing their seats. But you have to pay a $100 deposit if you want to remain on the waitlist, which kinda sucks! If you get in, it goes towards your tuition. If not, then it goes down the drain.

Jeez, I'm glad that I already got into UCB...cause playing this waiting game is frustrating. I just wanted to see whether I would get into SUNY or not. They'll probably be sending out the letters very soon.

I wish you all the best of luck!

Ning-Ju

Ning,

I just found out that I'm on the alternate list as well, but I didn't realize that the deposits for the whole class were already in. Did they give you an idea of how many spots they expected to free up (not on the alternate list, but spots in the actual class)? I remember them telling us when we interviewed that ~10 spots, give or take, should become available, but they were not clear as to whether this figure correlated to spots opening AFTER the class was filled. Please let me know if you know anything more, and of course I will make a post if I learn of any new developments.

In the meantime, good luck with making your decision / waiting helplessly for news.

subtractrock said:
Ning,

I just found out that I'm on the alternate list as well, but I didn't realize that the deposits for the whole class were already in. Did they give you an idea of how many spots they expected to free up (not on the alternate list, but spots in the actual class)? I remember them telling us when we interviewed that ~10 spots, give or take, should become available, but they were not clear as to whether this figure correlated to spots opening AFTER the class was filled. Please let me know if you know anything more, and of course I will make a post if I learn of any new developments.

In the meantime, good luck with making your decision / waiting helplessly for news.

Hey,

I didn't ask them about the number seats that usually opened up. But if we're on the waiting list, I think it indicates that all the available seats are filled, so we have to wait for those that already accepted to drop out. I'm pretty sure I'm going to Berkeley...so all the people on the waitlist should move up one spot!

Ning-Ju

I just called the Admissions Office and the woman that answered said that no one there had access to the waitlist info. I got an email from Dr. Johnston telling me that he doesn't recall my status and he won't be back until Monday to check. I guess I'll just have to wait a little bit more. I don't have a good feeling about this.

Ning said:
Hey everyone,

I just called SUNY and she said that I was 6th on the waitlist. She also said that I should have a better idea of where I stand after 2 weeks or so after people decide whether they want be kept on the waitist. However, all the seats are full at this point since everyone has turned in their deposit, so it now depends on those people relinquishing their seats. But you have to pay a $100 deposit if you want to remain on the waitlist, which kinda sucks! If you get in, it goes towards your tuition. If not, then it goes down the drain.

Jeez, I'm glad that I already got into UCB...cause playing this waiting game is frustrating. I just wanted to see whether I would get into SUNY or not. They'll probably be sending out the letters very soon.

I wish you all the best of luck!

Ning-Ju

I think it's interesting that you got accepted to Berkley but not SUNY. I'm sure you will be very happy at berkley though! :)

Kristene9 said:
I think it's interesting that you got accepted to Berkley but not SUNY. I'm sure you will be very happy at berkley though! :)

I originally thought I had a pretty good chance of getting into SUNY since I knew someone else that got in who went to the same university. My stats were also actually a little a higher than theirs. I'm assuming that it was my interview that brought me down but I guess I'll never know.

I really thought I wouldn't get into Berkeley...but all turned out well since it was my first choice anyway! I'm just not a big city gal. Plus, you can't beat the weather :)

I finally got my decision from SUNY today via email. Wow, I waited 4+ months just to hear that I did not make it. I am honestly a bit bitter about this rejection because they made me wait so long. They could have saved me some stress by letting me know sooner. Oh well. The uncertainty is no longer hanging over my head and it feels like a bunch of weight has been taken off of my shoulders. I feel good about moving forward from here. Even though I did not get into optometry school, this forum has been very helpful and I am grately appreciative. I will still be visiting SDN in case I decide to apply again next year. Good luck to everyone entering this fall.

Regards,

B. Sacamenoh

Hey B. Sacamenoh,

I'm really sorry to hear about that. Personally, I don't think they should have made us wait until April because it leaves applicants with fewer options. Even though I understand that they wanted to find the best candidates, the other schools seem to do fine without having to compose an alternate list. I hope you continue to pursue optometry or find another rewarding career!

Ning-Ju

I understand the waiting game...not fun at all...Even though I hold a seat to SUNY, for personal reasons I need to go to SCCO...I'm currently alternate listed...Supposely, today they should've compiled a waitlist but they told me to call back next Wed. for it because too many people qualified for an interview and their last interview is next Monday....

Waiting.....waiting waiting....

I too did not get into SUNY..just found out..I agree with bobsacmenoh, they made us wait way too long. Oh well.. im PCO bound! :D

MikeD said:
I too did not get into SUNY..just found out..I agree with bobsacmenoh, they made us wait way too long. Oh well.. im PCO bound! :D

Congrats on your acceptance to PCO :thumbup: I guess i'll be seeing you this fall :)

Looking forward to meeting you all!

I got my rejection letter from SUNY yesterday. SUNY is very competitive for many reasons. It's a state school so tuition is cheaper, it's in New York City, and it has a good academic reputation. Just because you did not get into SUNY doesn't mean you can't do well at another school.

For those who didnt' get in, I suggest reapplying next year in the beginning of september for SUNY and definately apply to other schools as well. I interviewed at SUNY in January and they basically had their class filled already so dont' feel bad everyone!

Hoorah for all the SUNY rejects! haha just joking!

Wow, you guys are scaring the crap out of me about SUNY, I'm currently on their hold list as well.....

...but as GracieNY mentioned before, I'm not sure if I would like to be attending a school that is so competitive.... :confused:

anchan said:
Wow, you guys are scaring the crap out of me about SUNY, I'm currently on their hold list as well.....

...but as GracieNY mentioned before, I'm not sure if I would like to be attending a school that is so competitive.... :confused:
SUNY is a competitive school to get into, but it is not "competitive" in a cut-throat sense once you are a student. There will be "gunners" wherever you go, but there are also plenty of laid-back students as well. :)