Comments on Jefferson vs. Cleveland Clinic vs. Maryland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Idon'tknow??

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Having a difficult time distinguishing between these programs.............

Members don't see this ad.

Where would you like to live for 3-4 years?
Family/friends in areas?

I interviewed at CC and UMD, cancelled Jefferson. My feeling CC has better program in terms of cases/training/reputation vs UMD. CC has no trauma, UMD does. For me, I'd rather be in Baltimore than Cleveland (family/friends around Baltimore), but if I had to choose, I'd choose CC for residency for the training. My $.01.

Members don't see this ad :)
My $.02,

I interviewed at all three programs and must say they are three of the most contrasting programs that I saw.

Maryland - One of my first interviews. Beautiful hospital in a cool part of the city. Friendly faculty, above average facilities, low to middle reputation. What struck me was every one of the residents I met just seemed miserable. Many commented on work hours, some on teaching and faculty. Worst, my final interview was with a 1st year attending who had just graduated from the program and she said flat out - "our grads have had trouble passing the boards, I would not consider this a strong teaching program, if I had it to do over I would probably not choose this program." Final impression - I will not rank them.

TJU - Interviewed in mid-December. Very nice facilites, strong faculty, dedicated to resident teaching. In a fun part of a great city. Residents seemed very happy. Awesome work hours and moonlighting opportunities. Probably the cushiest program in Philly, maybe second to MCP/Drexel. As far as case exposure and pathology seen, I would say they are at or near the bottom in the Philly area with both UPENN and Temple being stronger and Drexel slightly better or equal. All in all a solid program. Impression - I will rank them low-middle.

CCF - Interviewed their a few weeks ago. Absolute powerhouse. If you come out of that program you will be a strong anesthesiologist...IF. Definitely one of the most rigorous programs in the country. They do lots of everything (probably the best cardiac exposure in the world), tons of transplants. Peds and trauma are a little slower comparatively, but still you get plenty. Residents work hard but are rewarded with great training and the ability to get any fellowship or practice where they choose. The CCF name goes a long way. Most residents were happy, but were up front about the demanding schedule. I was pretty impressed with the program untill...This year the ACGME has approved them for 40, yes four zero CA-1 positions and they intend to fill them all. The words of a hight level administrator "The attendings may not know you on a first name basis, but you will come out with an excellent education. I don't doubt that! This dept. is exqisitely organized and the new chair Dr. Roizon is one of the best. Another down side Cleveland is well...Cleveland. Definitely not as bad as some would make it out to be, but certainly no NYC, Boston, or even Baltimore. Final impresion - (As with Mayo probably one of the top five to ten programs in the country, but suffers due to location) I will rank this program high-middle.

In closing CCF is definitely the strongest of the three. Jeff is a good program with a great schedule and location. Maryland and I just didn't click.

Hope this helps!

-B

Doesnt CCF have the strongest pain program in the world? Also isnt thier fellowship training in cardiac and pain the best par none?

Other points to bolster CCF as a front runner!!

CCF's pain program is one of the best. Strange enough, but Texas Tech supposedly has the #1 pain fellowship, from what I hear. I did a rotation at the Cleveland Clinic. They have the most amazing facilities! Great training. Will work hard! Will see everything before you graduate (except trauma, but the say with all the difficult ENT cases and Liver transplants you will get enough difficult airways and massive blood and fluid management).