Palm Beach Atlantic University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

angelil_yu

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hullo guys,

Just today, I received a voice mail from Palm Beach Atlantic University saying that I have been accepted for Fall 2005 program. I am so happy to hear about it. However, the school is not accredited yet; but they say that the passing grade for NAPLEX for the PBA students are pretty high. Does anyone of you go to PBA and if you do, would you mind to share some experiences?

RIght now, I have 2 choices of school: Mercer University and PBA. Mercer is a nice school with nice faculty; but the rating of this school is not so great (2.4 out of 5?). If you were me, what would you choose?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

angelil_yu said:
Hullo guys,

Just today, I received a voice mail from Palm Beach Atlantic University saying that I have been accepted for Fall 2005 program. I am so happy to hear about it. However, the school is not accredited yet; but they say that the passing grade for NAPLEX for the PBA students are pretty high. Does anyone of you go to PBA and if you do, would you mind to share some experiences?

RIght now, I have 2 choices of school: Mercer University and PBA. Mercer is a nice school with nice faculty; but the rating of this school is not so great (2.4 out of 5?). If you were me, what would you choose?

Thank you

Congrats on your acceptance. PBA is a good school. It's in the same state, so I've met students at various functions. Some of their staff came from Campbell Univ and their curriculum seems to be about the same.

Has PBA graduated their first class? I thought that this year's class was going to be the first to graduate. It made me curious when you mentioned the NAPLEX passing rate.

Which campus did you like better? Do you like the city life of Atlanta or the beach atmosphere of West Palm?

I really like everyone i know from PBA. their campus is really nice. i know a lot of 3rd years but no 4th...

What rating of mercer are you talking about?

Members don't see this ad :)
angelil_yu said:
Hullo guys,

Thank you

Posted in the Pre-dental forum:

angelil_yu said:
i am accepted to two schools, nyu and temple. now, i need to decide which one to go to, since my deadline for deposit submission is very close. can someone tell me the positives and negatives of both schools so i can compare and hopefully decide??

thanks

Are you applying to both Pharmacy School and Dental School at the same time?

That's pretty fishy and it sounds like they "want" to go with both...

bbmuffin said:
That's pretty fishy and it sounds like they "want" to go with both...

Oh, yeah, huh? I am such a SUPER LADY to apply to both pharmacy and dental schools. One day, my sister, who applied to dental school, used my desktop and i never logged out from sdn. So, when she posted everything in SDN dental forum, she used my "name" and "avatar" instead of using hers. It certainly made confusion and people thought that I am being 'greedy' and so darn 'ambitious' to apply to both pharmacy and dental school at the same time. :oops:

Peace
:luck: :luck: :idea:

angelil_yu said:
Oh, yeah, huh? I am such a SUPER LADY to apply to both pharmacy and dental schools. One day, my sister, who applied to dental school, used my desktop and i never logged out from sdn. So, when she posted everything in SDN dental forum, she used my "name" and "avatar" instead of using hers. It certainly made confusion and people thought that I am being 'greedy' and so darn 'ambitious' to apply to both pharmacy and dental school at the same time. :oops:

Peace
:luck: :luck: :idea:
lol
like i said... it sounded like you wanted to go to both....
i was really curious how you were going to pull that one off
PBAU is not near Temple or NYU....

dgroulx said:
Congrats on your acceptance. PBA is a good school. It's in the same state, so I've met students at various functions. Some of their staff came from Campbell Univ and their curriculum seems to be about the same.

Has PBA graduated their first class? I thought that this year's class was going to be the first to graduate. It made me curious when you mentioned the NAPLEX passing rate.

Which campus did you like better? Do you like the city life of Atlanta or the beach atmosphere of West Palm?

I don't remember which site I went to when I got the rating for schools. But I do remember that it's one of the links in sdn pre-pharm / pharm forums.

Atlanta kinda surprised me when I got there because I stayed in a not-so-good-and-safe area in downtown. It was quite scary because when I walked down the street, some pedestrians were staring at me (I was wearing suit); the same thing when I sat in the public transport (metro?).
Palm Beach is a beautiful city and the school is pretty safe. They also have a beach very close to the campus :)
That's what I deel now

dgroulx said:

I don't remember which site I went to when I got the rating for schools. But I do remember that it's one of the links in sdn pre-pharm / pharm forums.

Atlanta kinda surprised me when I got there because I stayed in a not-so-good-and-safe area in downtown. It was quite scary because when I walked down the street, some pedestrians were staring at me (I was wearing suit); the same thing when I sat in the public transport (metro?).
Palm Beach is a beautiful city and the school is pretty safe. They also have a beach very close to the campus :)
That's what I feel now

angelil_yu said:

ATLs public transportation system is called MARTA
there are so unflattering ways to remember that but i will not share them here.

Mercer is in a nicer area but yes downtown can be scary as well as public transportation

what exactly suprised you? I know i have been to several major cities and they are are pretty much the same.

dgroulx said:

PBA hasn't graduated their first class, but they will this year. They're in their final phase of accreditation, so I don't believe that there is a NAPLEX passing rate, at least not yet.

The school is in downtown West Palm Beach, and it's less than a mile away from the beach. :thumbup: It's a 2 for 1 deal. I fell in love with the area when I visited.

bbmuffin said:
ATLs public transportation system is called MARTA
there are so unflattering ways to remember that but i will not share them here.

Mercer is in a nicer area but yes downtown can be scary as well as public transportation

what exactly suprised you? I know i have been to several major cities and they are are pretty much the same.

"I was surprised" because that was my first time visiting another state outside CA (yes, I am an international student from a country in asia), and I, frankly, expected to have something BIG (no offense) from the city since I know that the '96 Olympic Games was held there. But, maybe I expected too much from the city. So now, I realize that there's gotta be some unsafe area and safe region in almost every city anyhow no matter how famous the city is.

CONGRATS on the acceptance! Maybe I'll see you there ;) (I have paid my deposit!)

I am interviewing at Mercer in February though so I'm excited to see how that will turn out. Mercer is accredited as opposed to unaccredited, but according to PBA, they are expecting to get accredited this Spring! :thumbup:

angelil_yu said:
"I was surprised" because that was my first time visiting another state outside CA (yes, I am an international student from a country in asia), and I, frankly, expected to have something BIG (no offense) from the city since I know that the '96 Olympic Games was held there. But, maybe I expected too much from the city. So now, I realize that there's gotta be some unsafe area and safe region in almost every city anyhow no matter how famous the city is.
Atlanta is spread out.. but when you go downtown it tends to feel more like a "big" city than the outskirts do... but alas it is nothing compared to NYC
it does have some great shopping but you have to know where the malls are. a lot of the areas are really fun during the day but i wouldn't necessarly go at night unless there was a big event coming with more than normal people out there.

I know lots of the olympic events were not actually held in atlanta but in the outskirts and sometimes in another state (i think some were in TN)

I have only been to CA once and it was totally different than the South that's for sure!!

I guess there are a lot of things you should experience at least once!

Yeah, I came to PBA for an interview. Staff, students, and especially the dean made me feel very welcomed. I feel my chances in getting in are a bit low. It was my first interview ever so I dont think I fully showed them who I really was...too nervous and stressed. If not, I'll definitely try again!

Loved the area...beautiful city, lots of things to do!

angelil_yu said:
Hullo guys,

Thank you

I just interviewed at Mercer...do they contact you with the news of acceptance/denial/waiting list by phone or by e-mail?

Got a letter from Mercer saying I've been accepted. They also mention the dateline for the 1st deposit.