Women: Is it appropriate to wear a pant suit to an interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ScreenName

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi -

I know this has been discussed a lot on the pre-allo forum but I wanted to ask about interviews at DO schools. I have my first interview at a DO school coming up soon and since the weather has been so cold lately I was considering wearing a pant suit rather than my traditional suit with a skirt (both suits are black). Anybody have any opinions or advice? What have you seen on the interview trail?

Members don't see this ad.

I think people look into this too much. As long as you look professional and like a future doc...you will be fine!
I have been to 2 interviews so far...have NSU tomorrow. I only have pant suits and have been accepted to one school, waitlisted at one and we'll see about NSU a few weeks after tomorrow. I don't think the decision will rest on what you wore, but how you handled yourself. And the only thing that will help you with that, is to be comfortable during the interview, whether you wear a skirt or pants.

Best of luck!
Karina

I've worn a pant suit and got accepted to a DO school, so I think it's safe to wear pants (especially if its cold!). I'd say DO female interviewees and MD female interviewees wear the same stuff (almost 50/50 split on the pants versus skirts). Like the last poster said - dont obsess over your clothes - obsess over those interview questions they're going to ask you... good luck! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Look decent and well-kept. I'd avoid black, personally, as most applicants wear black suits...makes interview groups look like mourners. That said, there's absolutley nothing wrong with wearing black...I'd just prefer to stand out a little. (I wore an olive green suit, btw) Do make a point to wear shoes that you can stand & walk in for the entire day without killing your feet. You'll get a campus tour at the very least & don't want to be limping along.

Big picture: Don't obsess about what you're wearing. (refer back to my first sentence)

Definately pants are fine. I had my 1st interview in December, at NYCOM (and got accepted) and almost all the girls at my interview had pant suits on. Myself included. I wore a darker grey suit to stand out from the blacks, but not be bright. I chose pants suit for a couple of reasons: i was much more comfortable and wouldn't be worried about skirt/legs, etc...; it was COLD on long island and being from NY I knew I would not want to be in a skirt walking outside; and I think pants suits look just as professional as skirt suits. I really think if you will be more comfortable and confident in a pants suit then wear one. If you feel more comfortable and confident in a skirt suit wear that. So, go for pants if you like, I have seen pant suits more often than skirts so far. Plus it's cold outside (depending on where your interview is) :D
Good Luck, and as soon as you find a suit you feel great in, start getting confident about the interview itself :luck:

At my interview in NV, I was the only chick in pants. At CA, TUCOM, there were about 8 chicks and all in pants but one. I think it is fine. Just make sure you feel comfy and you feel like you are not majorly in a costume. That way it is easier to be warm and friendly and that comes through a lot. ...plus, usually you are sitting at a table and no one can see. You could probly wear clown pants if you were seated when they all came in. :)

at all my interviews there were tons of girls in pant suits, so i'd say they are perfectly fine. i agree w/ staying away from black. at one of my interviews every single person was wearing black. stay warm and good luck!

Through all my interviews I can't remember a girl who didn't wear a pant suit.

I wore a pants suit w/ white shirt underneath suit coat to 3 interviews and was accepted at all 3. Maybe one or two of the girls wore skirts.

raDiOnut/Therese

Pants, skirt, whatever. Just don't wear black. You'll look like you're either at a funeral or should be handing out religious pamphlets.

Ahhh Fashion... my true passion in life. I say it doesnt matter which, just dress tastefully and try to avoid the "old lady look" (not as easy as it sounds). If your not comfortable, the interviewers are going to see it. Oh yea... make sure you wear hose if your wearing a skirt, even if its 85 degrees

DrMom said:
Look decent and well-kept. I'd avoid black, personally, as most applicants wear black suits...makes interview groups look like mourners. That said, there's absolutley nothing wrong with wearing black...I'd just prefer to stand out a little. (I wore an olive green suit, btw)

Big picture: Don't obsess about what you're wearing. (refer back to my first sentence)

i'll echo the same advice

on one of my interviews, i was actually complimented by the admissions director for NOT wearing black :D

good luck on your interview :thumbup: