Nd??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Since there is no forum for naturopathy, I figured I would post this here. What are your opinions on Ca licensing ND's as physicians with limited precriptive authority? This just recently happened. FYI, I am not an ND and do not play one on TV.

:cool:

Members don't see this ad.

no forum? probably because ND's aren't real physicians.

Members don't see this ad :)
actually I just recieved my Doctorate in Poopology and I have a DEA number and am licensed as a physician in 15 states. It's actually a wonderful alterantive pathway to becoming an MD. PS: Those MDs really don't know what their talking about anyways. Come visit my clinic in santa cruz. Alterative is the way of the future!!! :laugh: :laugh:

psisci said:
Since there is no forum for naturopathy, I figured I would post this here. What are your opinions on Ca licensing ND's as physicians with limited precriptive authority? This just recently happened. FYI, I am not an ND and do not play one on TV.

I wonder if the AMA is doing any lobbying over this. :eek:

psisci said:

What can they prescribe? Hopefully only OTCs. ;)

I know a few people who have naturopathy, they often chain themselves to trees and rarely bath. Seriously, what is naturopathy???

Bastyr University might be the best naturopathic university in the country right now, from what I understand. Of course, there aren't many naturopathic schools and they're not ranked, but I've heard of this school several times already as being "great". Anyway, I am not in medical school, so I have no basis to compare, but here's the website with the courses they offer. They seem to be taking their program seriously, and it looks like whoever wants to go through this program is making a big commitment. The courses look rigorous-ish...?

http://www.bastyr.edu/academic/naturopath/curriculum.asp?track=4

First time I've ever heard of this. Looks like a lot of time and money for a degree that won't get you very far.

thackl said:
First time I've ever heard of this. Looks like a lot of time and money for a degree that won't get you very far.
There are MANY ND offices near me--and decent ones that have been around for a while. Of course, I also don't live too far from Bastyr.... But I do know lots of people who have seen NDs or acupuncturists for things that just couldn't get cleared up by their MDs. I don't know about it's proven effectiveness--I'm not sure how rigorously tested a lot of it is, but I've heard the effort is starting to be made, so it will be a while yet. But anyway--naturopaths do make a living, some patients swear by them. Maybe its just a northwest/west coast thing for now.

olydoc2b said:
There are MANY ND offices near me--and decent ones that have been around for a while. Of course, I also don't live too far from Bastyr.... But I do know lots of people who have seen NDs or acupuncturists for things that just couldn't get cleared up by their MDs. I don't know about it's proven effectiveness--I'm not sure how rigorously tested a lot of it is, but I've heard the effort is starting to be made, so it will be a while yet. But anyway--naturopaths do make a living, some patients swear by them. Maybe its just a northwest/west coast thing for now.
I'm open to new ideas. Anything that can replace drugs and their costs/side effects is good.

Seashelley said:
Bastyr University might be the best naturopathic university in the country right now, QUOTE]

Does this mean that if you graduate from Bastyr you are a "Bastyrd", or just have a "Basytrd degree"??? :laugh:

olydoc2b said:

my mother recently had surgery for a 4 herniated discs in her neck. she had an extraordinarily long recovery period, and progress in physical therapy was slow. one of her co-workers' husband is an acupuncturist, so she tried it. i suppose you could argue "psychosomatic" and "placebo", but my mom swears it's made the pain go away more than physical therapy has. she's actually back on her feet and started work again (as a maternity nurse) two weeks ago.

i think it's a little premature to debunk alternative medicines as hokey. sort of an "innocent until proven guilty" sort of thing.

Seashelley said:
Bastyr University might be the best naturopathic university in the country right now, from what I understand. Of course, there aren't many naturopathic schools and they're not ranked, but I've heard of this school several times already as being "great". Anyway, I am not in medical school, so I have no basis to compare, but here's the website with the courses they offer. They seem to be taking their program seriously, and it looks like whoever wants to go through this program is making a big commitment. The courses look rigorous-ish...?

http://www.bastyr.edu/academic/naturopath/curriculum.asp?track=4

UWSOM really puts an emphasis on learning about complementary and alternative medicine, partly because we're practically located across the street from Bastyr.

Here's a blurb about ongoing integration between UWSOM and Bastyr: CAM Education

i think it's a little premature to debunk alternative medicines as hokey. sort of an "innocent until proven guilty" sort of thing.
In science, however, things are "guilty until proven innocent". In other words, an idea is wrong until it is proven right. That's the basis for empricism and the scientific method; the shoulders on which medicine stands.

Unfortunately many useful substances/drugs get satanized by societal/political forces. Good examples are nicotine (derivatives would probably be useful in combating dementia), anabolic-androgenic steroids (you can get calf implants,a major surgery, but can't get a anabolic script for cosmetic reasons), and ephedrine (an effective weight-loss drug that is cheap and probably has less side-effects than many anti-obesity prescription drugs). So yeah, alternative medicine definitely has a place in medicine. I think that place should be the doctor's office however.

isnt ricky williams in a school for this right now in california, (or some other holistic BS) that should tell you enough about it