Help Needed Please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

douglee25

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Help needed, please read!

I have an issue here with my ophthalmologist in PA. Let me give you all some background first. I have an issue where I believe my eyes are sensitive to bright lights, ie sunlight etc. I have Hazel eyes for the record. I did my own research and have come to find out that indeed people that have light colored eyes can be sensitive to bright lights. Supposedly this is very common?? True or false? Nevertheless, I find that I must wear sunglasses a great deal when I'm outside. Recently I had sunshade installed on my vehicle so that I wouldn't need to wear glasses all the time while driving. In order to complete the process I must get an ophthalmologist to fill out these forms for the Department of Motor Vehicles for Pennsylvania. I tried to have my regular ophthalmologist fills out these forms, but in his words, "I don't get involved with those issues Doug". I have hit a road block and was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to fill out these attached forms for me? I could provide you with a work fax or phone number, etc if anyone is willing to talk and help me out. Please let me know. Thanks for your time.

Sincerely,
Doug

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• mv-402.pdf
    65.2 KB · Views: 130
I'm not an optometrist (yet) but I think that you would have to have the doctor who signed this form examine you for photophobia. It seems unethical and unprofessional to me for someone to sign something for the DMV who has never set eyes on you.

Just my opinion.
Eyegirl.

Eyegirl2k7 said:
I'm not an optometrist (yet) but I think that you would have to have the doctor who signed this form examine you for photophobia. It seems unethical and unprofessional to me for someone to sign something for the DMV who has never set eyes on you.

Just my opinion.
Eyegirl.

I understand your disposition. I have tried all the normal routes to no avail and thus why I have come here. If you know of anyone who would be interested, please let me know. Thanks for your time.

Doug

Members don't see this ad :)
Just in case you were wondering whether the light-sensitivity is common. I've also heard that it is, as well as my own experience. I have light blue eyes and everytime I'm somewhere bright or with lots of glare (like in snow), I get killer headaches. Sometimes I even get them from fluorescent lights, so you're not alone. :luck:
douglee25 said:

I have an issue here with my ophthalmologist in PA. Let me give you all some background first. I have an issue where I believe my eyes are sensitive to bright lights, ie sunlight etc. I have Hazel eyes for the record. I did my own research and have come to find out that indeed people that have light colored eyes can be sensitive to bright lights. Supposedly this is very common?? True or false? Nevertheless, I find that I must wear sunglasses a great deal when I'm outside. Recently I had sunshade installed on my vehicle so that I wouldn't need to wear glasses all the time while driving. In order to complete the process I must get an ophthalmologist to fill out these forms for the Department of Motor Vehicles for Pennsylvania. I tried to have my regular ophthalmologist fills out these forms, but in his words, "I don't get involved with those issues Doug". I have hit a road block and was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to fill out these attached forms for me? I could provide you with a work fax or phone number, etc if anyone is willing to talk and help me out. Please let me know. Thanks for your time.

Sincerely,
Doug

Dear douglee25,

In many states, this kind of request is pretty common. Although light colored eyes may be prone to greater light sensitivity, such sensitivity does not reach the level of severity that requires mandatory sun shielding as you request.

In cases where this is a bona fide medical basis, there must be a physical finding of such. In the absence of such, I doubt that this can be completed without a physical examination of the eyes.

Richard

Richard_Hom said:
Dear douglee25,

In many states, this kind of request is pretty common. Although light colored eyes may be prone to greater light sensitivity, such sensitivity does not reach the level of severity that requires mandatory sun shielding as you request.

In cases where this is a bona fide medical basis, there must be a physical finding of such. In the absence of such, I doubt that this can be completed without a physical examination of the eyes.

Richard

Richard,

I'm going to try and go somewhere else where my insurance is accepted and see if I can get better results there. It's ashame my doctor is so "old school" but I guess to each their own. Thanks again for everyone's advice. :)

Doug

Sincerely,
Doug

wow... did you ever manage to convince a doctor to sign for you (without meeting them in person)?

This would be very difficult to quantify. There is no problem completing a form such as yours (if seen in person) if you had one of several medical conditions such as aniridia (no iris), ocular albinism (lack of normal light absorbing pigment), iris coloboma, cone dystrophy or other similar conditions. I agree that lighter pigmented individuals, especially those with blond retinas do have more sensitivity to light. However we get bogus requests similar to yours just because some hippster wants to tint his windows real black for the "cool factor". I'm sorry the light bothers you so much, just keep some decent sunglasses in the car.