Undergraduate Major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What is your major?

• Biology/Biomedical Sciences

Votes: 103 36.8%
  • Chemistry

Votes: 26 9.3%
  • Biomedical Engineering

Votes: 10 3.6%
  • Other Engineering

Votes: 23 8.2%
  • Other Life Sciences

Votes: 12 4.3%
  • Other Physical Sciences

Votes: 12 4.3%
  • Other

Votes: 94 33.6%

• Total voters

SirTony76

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is your major? I am curious to see actual numbers on this one.

Members don't see this ad.

drguy22 said:
wat about double majors?

lol..didn't consider that when I made the poll. Oh well. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Why do you only have science majors listed, a lot of us majored in non-science areas? I chose "other"

I have a degree in theatre and another in psychology. How's that for kooky?

medic170 said:
Why do you only have science majors listed, a lot of us majored in non-science areas? I chose "other"

I figured science majors would probably be the most represented.

There are so many other majors out there other than science majors that people do as premed, that it wouldn't make sense to list them all because the results would most likely have one or two per category, however, there would be to many categories to make just a simple list. I did not want a huge list, just a simple one.

How about if you check "other" you write what your major is. Also, if you have a subspecality please note that as well.

For example, my major is Biomedical Engineering and my specific tract is Biomechanics.

TP

Who is majoring in other engineering, and what are your degrees?

Political Science and Biology baby!

SirTony76 said:
Also, if you have a subspecality please note that as well. For example, my major is Biomedical Engineering and my specific tract is Biomechanics.

Biomedical Engineering with a concentration in Materials Science

chemistry and classics, always brings up questions from interviewers

Chemical engineering is awesome. Wait, it really isn't. I have no idea why I chose it.

chemical engr and anthro.
chem e sucks....ha...good luck tomorrowgirl

Molecular Biology and Microbiology :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
physiological science - loved it!

Probably Biology...but if my grades suck this semeseter I might switch to Psychology.

Hmmm...where are the humanities majors? :laugh:

I myself am a History major :thumbup:

Electrical & Computer Engineering

here's one for you:

Biology major
Chemistry minor
American studies minor
Judaic studies minor

...that might evoke some questioning..lol

docjolly said:
Hmmm...where are the humanities majors? :laugh:

I myself am a History major :thumbup:

I double-majored in English with a concentration in Professional Writing, and Psychology. It was nice to have a background in a more scientific major, as well as a completely unrelated major. :)

I'm a nutter --> Electrical & Computer Engineering.

dave613 said:
here's one for you:

Biology major
Chemistry minor
American studies minor
Judaic studies minor

...that might evoke some questioning..lol

You forgot biochemistry...pfft

For those of you in medical school...how did the engineering degree help you with interviews?

SirTony76 said:
For those of you in medical school...how did the engineering degree help you with interviews?

i always got the question... do you think that engineering and medicine have something in common or do you see them combining or 'mingling' in the future

pakidoc said:
i always got the question... do you think that engineering and medicine have something in common or do you see them combining or 'mingling' in the future

lol...how did you answer that one?

Chemistry and math. Started with just pure math and got hooked into the chemistry thing. Now I'm liking the chem more than the math! Weird.

SirTony76 said:
lol...how did you answer that one?

with the recent advancements being made in microchip and silicon nanotechnology there is definitely a combining of the two fields. In the next 10 to 20 years engineers will be heavily employed in designing and building nano devices that will be used as sensors/detectors and even actuators in the body. in my senior design class at X uni, we build a 1 inch device that when implanted in diabetics can detect serum glucose levels and accordingly release a controlled amount of insulin in the blood.

howzat

psychology with religion minor :) Despite all the science pre-reqs I crammed into the last 2 years, I still didn't take enough classes in chem or bio to receive a minor in either subject. Has only been brought up by 1 of about 25 interviewers, though!

I marked Other Engineering, but I did a dual degree, computer engineering and German.

I got to impress a lot of interviewers with some of my engineering projects, since they sound super impressive to non-engineers. And engineering problem-solving skills contributed hugely to my MCAT success.

But mostly, people say "oh, computer engineering? well, you'll be interested in radiology then!" Um, no. There's a reason I'm switching careers, and it's that I under no circumstances want to spend the rest of my life staring at a computer monitor.

Mimidoc^2 said:
psychology with religion minor :) Despite all the science pre-reqs I crammed into the last 2 years, I still didn't take enough classes in chem or bio to receive a minor in either subject. Has only been brought up by 1 of about 25 interviewers, though!

Double Degree - one with Psychology w/ Religious Studies minor and the other in English - Literature emphasis.

I thought I was all unique with that Psyc/Rels thing. Oh well - nice to know I'm not alone!!

I received a degree in Music Performance on the cello ............. I know, a little odd :)

Computer Science and Math.

I have talked to some med school students, and they said my tech skills would come in handy.

Anastasis said:
Double Degree - one with Psychology w/ Religious Studies minor and the other in English - Literature emphasis.

I thought I was all unique with that Psyc/Rels thing. Oh well - nice to know I'm not alone!!

How cool! I almost pursued a double major in Psych and English, but dropped
English after deciding to go to med school halfway through college. Are you interested in science writing? (creative or for the public)

Major: Genetics & Microbiology
Minor: Sociology

B.S. Oceanography
B.S. Chemistry

Every interviewer asked me why I didn't want to be an oceanographer.

B.S. Cognitive Science. Was a computer science major for 3.5 years, that didn't work out so well.

KINESIOLOGY & HEALTH SCIENCE MAJOR ALL THE WAY!
Best progam ever!...well at YU anyway

pakidoc said:
with the recent advancements being made in microchip and silicon nanotechnology there is definitely a combining of the two fields. In the next 10 to 20 years engineers will be heavily employed in designing and building nano devices that will be used as sensors/detectors and even actuators in the body. in my senior design class at X uni, we build a 1 inch device that when implanted in diabetics can detect serum glucose levels and accordingly release a controlled amount of insulin in the blood.

howzat

i agree, nanofabrication is already breaking into biological systems, big time. got to watch out for the grey goo that will devour the planet, though. just kidding. that's a really cool device, where do you implant it? has it actually been tested on anything?

BS Microbiology
MS (hopefully soon!) Microbiology

i think i've had enough micro for awhile.... :p

Literature with a minor in Linguistics. Hoping this will help me read physican-scrawl...

History and Finance

BA: double major in natural sciences (predominantly biology and chemistry) and Spanish (mainly Latin American history and literature along with language classes)

MS: organic chemistry (medicinal chemistry subspecialty)

PhD: will be in organic chemistry as well (bioorganic/pharmaceutical chemistry subspecialty)

For those of you who said tech skills would come in handy in Medical school...in what way would they be utilized?

BS: Criminal Justice
Minors: Biology and Chemistry

Religion. Let's hope God takes that into account this next app cycle. ;) :thumbup:

Biochem and spanish..
minors in physics math and bio........