-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Undergraduate Major
Started by SirTony76
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
drguy22 said:wat about double majors?
lol..didn't consider that when I made the poll. Oh well.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a degree in theatre and another in psychology. How's that for kooky?
medic170 said:Why do you only have science majors listed, a lot of us majored in non-science areas? I chose "other"
I figured science majors would probably be the most represented.
There are so many other majors out there other than science majors that people do as premed, that it wouldn't make sense to list them all because the results would most likely have one or two per category, however, there would be to many categories to make just a simple list. I did not want a huge list, just a simple one.
How about if you check "other" you write what your major is. Also, if you have a subspecality please note that as well.
For example, my major is Biomedical Engineering and my specific tract is Biomechanics.
TP
SirTony76 said:Also, if you have a subspecality please note that as well. For example, my major is Biomedical Engineering and my specific tract is Biomechanics.
Biomedical Engineering with a concentration in Materials Science
chemistry and classics, always brings up questions from interviewers
Chemical engineering is awesome. Wait, it really isn't. I have no idea why I chose it.
chemical engr and anthro.
chem e sucks....ha...good luck tomorrowgirl
chem e sucks....ha...good luck tomorrowgirl
Biology
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
docjolly said:Hmmm...where are the humanities majors?
I myself am a History major 👍
I double-majored in English with a concentration in Professional Writing, and Psychology. It was nice to have a background in a more scientific major, as well as a completely unrelated major. 🙂
dave613 said:here's one for you:
Biology major
Chemistry minor
American studies minor
Judaic studies minor
...that might evoke some questioning..lol
You forgot biochemistry...pfft
SirTony76 said:For those of you in medical school...how did the engineering degree help you with interviews?
i always got the question... do you think that engineering and medicine have something in common or do you see them combining or 'mingling' in the future
pakidoc said:i always got the question... do you think that engineering and medicine have something in common or do you see them combining or 'mingling' in the future
lol...how did you answer that one?
Chemistry and math. Started with just pure math and got hooked into the chemistry thing. Now I'm liking the chem more than the math! Weird.
SirTony76 said:lol...how did you answer that one?
with the recent advancements being made in microchip and silicon nanotechnology there is definitely a combining of the two fields. In the next 10 to 20 years engineers will be heavily employed in designing and building nano devices that will be used as sensors/detectors and even actuators in the body. in my senior design class at X uni, we build a 1 inch device that when implanted in diabetics can detect serum glucose levels and accordingly release a controlled amount of insulin in the blood.
howzat
psychology with religion minor 🙂 Despite all the science pre-reqs I crammed into the last 2 years, I still didn't take enough classes in chem or bio to receive a minor in either subject. Has only been brought up by 1 of about 25 interviewers, though!
I marked Other Engineering, but I did a dual degree, computer engineering and German.
I got to impress a lot of interviewers with some of my engineering projects, since they sound super impressive to non-engineers. And engineering problem-solving skills contributed hugely to my MCAT success.
But mostly, people say "oh, computer engineering? well, you'll be interested in radiology then!" Um, no. There's a reason I'm switching careers, and it's that I under no circumstances want to spend the rest of my life staring at a computer monitor.
I got to impress a lot of interviewers with some of my engineering projects, since they sound super impressive to non-engineers. And engineering problem-solving skills contributed hugely to my MCAT success.
But mostly, people say "oh, computer engineering? well, you'll be interested in radiology then!" Um, no. There's a reason I'm switching careers, and it's that I under no circumstances want to spend the rest of my life staring at a computer monitor.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Mimidoc^2 said:psychology with religion minor 🙂 Despite all the science pre-reqs I crammed into the last 2 years, I still didn't take enough classes in chem or bio to receive a minor in either subject. Has only been brought up by 1 of about 25 interviewers, though!
Double Degree - one with Psychology w/ Religious Studies minor and the other in English - Literature emphasis.
I thought I was all unique with that Psyc/Rels thing. Oh well - nice to know I'm not alone!!
Computer Science and Math.
I have talked to some med school students, and they said my tech skills would come in handy.
I have talked to some med school students, and they said my tech skills would come in handy.
Anastasis said:Double Degree - one with Psychology w/ Religious Studies minor and the other in English - Literature emphasis.
I thought I was all unique with that Psyc/Rels thing. Oh well - nice to know I'm not alone!!
How cool! I almost pursued a double major in Psych and English, but dropped
English after deciding to go to med school halfway through college. Are you interested in science writing? (creative or for the public)
pakidoc said:with the recent advancements being made in microchip and silicon nanotechnology there is definitely a combining of the two fields. In the next 10 to 20 years engineers will be heavily employed in designing and building nano devices that will be used as sensors/detectors and even actuators in the body. in my senior design class at X uni, we build a 1 inch device that when implanted in diabetics can detect serum glucose levels and accordingly release a controlled amount of insulin in the blood.
howzat
i agree, nanofabrication is already breaking into biological systems, big time. got to watch out for the grey goo that will devour the planet, though. just kidding. that's a really cool device, where do you implant it? has it actually been tested on anything?
Literature with a minor in Linguistics. Hoping this will help me read physican-scrawl...
Evil English.
QofQuimica
Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
BA: double major in natural sciences (predominantly biology and chemistry) and Spanish (mainly Latin American history and literature along with language classes)
MS: organic chemistry (medicinal chemistry subspecialty)
PhD: will be in organic chemistry as well (bioorganic/pharmaceutical chemistry subspecialty)
MS: organic chemistry (medicinal chemistry subspecialty)
PhD: will be in organic chemistry as well (bioorganic/pharmaceutical chemistry subspecialty)
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Biochem and spanish..
minors in physics math and bio........
minors in physics math and bio........
Similar threads
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 2K