Official Usmle Step 1 Booklist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chandler

24 hour Call
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have posted Ramoray's USMLE STEP 1 book list below, and I will add my book list when it is completed. For the rest of the SDNers, post your booklist for your upcoming Step 1. This thread will help future SDN medical students be familiar with what books SDNers used to study for Step 1. So, PLEASE POST the books you are planning to use for Step 1 (even if it is just First Aid). The more people that volunteer, the better it will help the future SDNers.

Thanks

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
RAMORAY'S BOOKLIST

Well i must say thank god for sdn, i remember not finding sdn until after i took my mcat and there were so many things differently i would have done- so many things i found out that i didnt know about so with that said i thank everyone for their criticism and constant tips and advice to everyone on their board. I was origially going to study withalot of big books for the boards and after alot of advice and posts i came to a realization i was going to be setting myself up for failure on the step so i have finalized a set of books and Qs i am going to use for 8 weeks of boards study and i wanted to see if anyone had any comments either yay or nay about them just to make sure i am not wasting my time. I have already went through each along with classes as well so its not like ill be seeing them for the first time. anyway-
BRS Path
Lange micro/immuno review
Lippincott Pharm
Costanzo Stars Physio
Lippincott biochem
BRS Neuro( i know its thick but i used it with class so its all annoted etc.)
HY anatomy, molec bio and embryo
BRS Beh. Sci.

Questions in order of importance which i plan to do all roughly 8000 questions
Robbins path review
Qbank
NMS questions
Qbook
Appleton lange Qs
Rapid Review Qs
Blue Prints Qs

So if i follow that and do all those Qs for 8 weeks, would that be an efficient yet successful plan that is not a waste of time? any suggestions other than incoportaing FA into the routine? thanks for the continued critique and advice from everyone.OFFICIAL USMLE STEP 1 BOOKLIST

Members don't see this ad.

This is the plan so far:

Books:

First Aid
Underground Clinical Vignettes
Platinum Vignettes
USMLE Secrets
HY Neuro (maybe)
HY Molecular Bio
BRS phys (maybe)
BRS path (maybe)

Questions I plan on doing:

-Bootleg Qbank (2000 q in word format seperated by organ systems) - doing these right now for path and pharm for the shelf, Ive done the questions for micro and beh. science already.
-Robbins path Review (Ive done a quite a bit of these)
- real qbank
-Webpath (I do these along with path class so Ive done these all year long)

I want to do these but dont know if i will get to them:
-Appleton and Lange
-Qbook
-NMS

1. First Aid
2. BRS Physiology - covers all that phys that FA leaves out
3. BRS Behavioral Sci - covers the ethical questions and other stuff
4. HY Neuro - this was a weak point for me so I needed more, you may not need this
5. HY Biochem - this was even too much, but its certainly more manageable than Lippincott
6. HY Anatomy - covers all that anatomy that is missing from FA
7. HY Embryo - I dont know that this benefitted me that much, I think there is enough in FA
8. HY Micro - most of this is covered in FA, but I used this for my micro class and liked it
9. Qbook questions - good for more questions not covered in Qbank

Dont Use:
BRS Path (except for questions) - started using this but quit really quickly, the text is essentially all covered in FA
HY Pharm - I was looking for a good pharm book, never found one, this one is terrible, not much more detail than FA

can someone tell me the ISBN for the robbins questions book a few of oyu have mentioned. or maybe someone knows where i can get one. thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
twesting2173 said:
can someone tell me the ISBN for the robbins questions book a few of oyu have mentioned. or maybe someone knows where i can get one. thanks.

here u go

Okay here is mine. Keep in mind I'm a *******, who forgets where I park my car twice a day, once in the morning, and again after school. I'm always walking around the parking lot trying to remember where I parked my car and what level. So I need massive amounts of repetition and questions to retain anything. Also that I've read all these books once already while following along these subjects in class. So hopefully when I get out of school these books won't be to hard to review.

1. Anatomy-HY anat, HY neuro, HY embryo, HY histo
2. Behavioral Sci-HY Beh Sci
3. Bio chem-HY bio chem, HY molecular bio
4. Micro/Immuno-Micro made ridiculously simple, Medical micro & immuno exam and board review by levinson and Jawetz (just the immuno section)
5. Path-Stars Pathology Review by goljan, robbins review of path done first time during christmas vacation (~70%) did it again 4 weeks b4 exam, goljan audio (listen to while working out, gone threw them 5 times from Aug-Dec of 2nd year).
6. Pharm-Kaplan lecture notes
7. Physio-BRS
8. Question books- Kaplan Q book, Appleton & Lange question book, did subjects will following along with class.
9. Comprehensive sources-Web prep listen to while working out (tryin to learn via osmosis) started in Jan almost finished second time threw except for path and micro. FA 2005 started in Jan.

Things finished after last final exam.
-CBSE 88~245 (10 weeks b4 exam).
-BSS ~72%, started in jan doing 50 Qs/day/5 days a week (finished 9 weeks b4 exam).
-Qbank 78%, all random, all timed (finished 5 weeks b4 exam).
-Step 1 released items (41,43,44)=85% (4 weeks b4 exam).
-NMS 78% (3 weeks b4 exam).
-Kaplan full length simulated 77% (3 weeks b4 exam).
-Blueprints 85% (2 1/2 weeks b4 exam).
-Pretest vignettes 76% (2 1/2 weeks b4 exam).
-Rapid review usmle step 1 qbook 80% (2 weeks b4 exam).
-Blackwell free online exam 80% (2 weeks b4 exam).
-NBME form 1 670~252 (10 days b4 exam).
-NBME form 2 710~257 (5 days b4 D-day).

Okay to answer some questions about which question resources are better, if I had to rank which question sources in order of importance. It would be:

1. Robins review of path, idiopathic got me hooked on this one, after doing this twice all other path questions seem easy by comparsion.
2. Board Simulator Series a guy named Dr. Cuts (carribean grad who matched rads) told me about this. This series doesn't represent the current testing format but I've seem to learn the bread and butter from this comprehensive source. One poster once said it is like training with heavy weights, other questions after are just light reps. Requires some time to get threw them all. The body systems books are pretty good, lots of thinking and questions with arrows going up and down. The basic concepts and normal/abnormal books not as good, more like factoid memorization.
3. Qbook and Appleton & Lange (big frank and omarsaleh introduced me to this one) rank about the same good basics to practice after having reviewed the subject.
4. Qbank I didn't like it to much, I didn't think I learned to much from it except for how to pace myself under timed conditions, deal with doing random blocks and guessing when you get 5-10 question in a row that make you say WTF. But you just have to do it cause you're just afraid that you'll be missing out on what others have learned.
5. Pre test clinical vingettes for the usmle step 1, big frank recommended, good thinking questions.
6. Blueprints Q&A, Rapid Review for the usmle step 1, and Blackwells online exam are like icing on the cake, mostly vingettes. The only reason they rank so low is because I've already seen most of what they are testing from other sources, but are good if you don't have the time to get threw BSS.

The one I thought sucked a$$ was NMS alot of nit picky detail (eg SH2 second messenger after Tyrosine kinase, and TF2D binds tata box).

As for how did I have time to do all these question I learned from Big frank and idio that those guys started like nov and dec of second year. These guys are also top ranked in their class, so an average guy like me would have to put in at least as much effort to get any where near them. I couldn't get myself to start that early but I did start after partying my a$$ off on new years. BF went ocd with the FA on the toilet thing, Jalby read big robbins cover to cover, idio did ~11,000 questions. I liked idios idea and did questions. I would do them during my lunch, and by the time school got out I had finished robbins review, BSS, Kaplan Qbook and A&L. I also tend to get sleepy after staring at a reveiw book for more then 3 hours so I did questions for the rest of the day during the 8 weeks that I've been out of school studying for boards.

I've gotten several PMs for my study schedule to I've added it to this post.
So here it goes, started the day after new years:

-Jan first 2 weeks was still out of school so spent it on my weakest subject pharm (poorly taught as an after thought at my organ/systems school). ~10 hours a day/6 days a week X 2 weeks. First reading kaplan pharm notes, then memorizing FA pharm, then doing pharm questions from BRS pharm, Qbook, A&L. Next 2 weeks in Jan physio BRS, FA physio, physio Q's from brs, Qboook, A&L. School started so studied for class first then would spend about 2 hours a day/ 5 days a week board studying. Also started doing BSS ~50 Qs a day/5 days a week during my lunch break at school.

-Feb first 2 weeks Bio chem HY,FA Bio chem, Qs from BRS bio chem,Qbook and A&L. Again 2 hours/day/5day/week while still studying for class and ~50 Qs/day/5 day/week from BSS keeping this pattern threw out 6 month of studying. Next 2 weeks micro/immuno MMMRS, the lange book for immuno and FA micro. Micro/immuno Qs from brs,qbook, a&L.

-March first 3 weeks anatomy hy, neuro hy, histo hy, FA anatomy, Qs from brs, qbook, a&l. 1 week of behavioral sci HY and FA and Qs from that subject.

-April first 2 week path goljans review, FA path, and path Qs from above subject books, and was finishing up on BSS by now. Last 2 weeks in april out of school and began dedicated board studying

-I had 8 weeks of dedicated board studying. Day began with 100 Qbank Qs done random and timed (finished q bank in 3 weeks, and a 4th week to do Qs that I got wrong over again). Then studied a subject for about 6-8 hours and then did more qestions at night 50-100 from other sources on that subject that I studied during the day. Did 3 day cycle of subject, example 3 days pharm, 3 days physio, 3 days BC, 3 days micro/immun, 4 days anatomy/histo/neuro, 2 days BS. Repeated cycle again but this time 2 day, then cylced again 1 day. When I finished q bank I did other sources instead.

-One week before the exam just went over FA over and over again. Day before exam chilled out, did my laundry and packed my bags for my trip to Hawaii. Day of exam took exam first 2 blocks without a brake, each block after 5 minute bathroom brake in between each block and one peanut butter power bar brake. I think I was done a little after 4, and by 7:30 was on a plan to Hawaii with my GF. Good luck all and hope this long post helps.

Reactions: 1 users
here's mine.
1. Path - Stars Path Review by Goljan and BRS path (trying to annotate brs with stars, but taking FOREVER. Certain chapters are better in BRS than in the stars. So reading both essentially). Listening to the audio (about half way through) as I drive or sleep or walk or take a dump. Doing Robbins review, qbank, qbook for q's. Might hit the appleton/lange series or NMS if i have time.

2. Phys - kaplan and BRS also.

3. Biochem - Kaplan/HY molec bio
4. Pharm - Kaplan +FA (well FA for every subject really).
5. Behav - Kaplan
6. Anat - HY Gross, haven't decided btwn HY or Kaplan neuro, HY embry
7. Micro - Kaplan

Long Dong said:
-Web Prep audio on MP3 done so far Anat, Behav, Pharm & Micro while working out (tryin to learn by osmosis).

what is this? Is this the kaplan one? Also, how are you keeping up with all this stuff with classes or are you done? I can barely keep on track wiht my sched without classes.

HiddenTruth said:
what is this? Is this the kaplan one? Also, how are you keeping up with all this stuff with classes or are you done? I can barely keep on track wiht my sched without classes.

Yeah it's kaplan web prep. Some guy recorded all the lectures onto MP3 I'm listening to them now because I've already gone threw goljan a few times. I spend about 2 hours in the gym 6 days a week so I figured I'd try to learn stuff while there and listen to lectures.

No I'm not out of school yet. I spend about 3 hours a day studying for school go workout and then study for boards for about 2 hours and then do about 50 questions. Been doing this since Jan. and yeah it's hard to keep up with school at the same time but my school is pass/fail, no internal rankings at all. So instead of getting like 80 something % on exams like I was before Jan, I'm getting 70 somethings instead. Alot of the boards stuff and class stuff overlap, the things that are covered in class that I feel aren't board worthy I just don't bother learning, e.g. community acquired pneumonias in ICU patients vs CAPs in inpatient non-ICU.

Long Dong said:
Yeah it's kaplan web prep. Some guy recorded all the lectures onto MP3 I'm listening to them now because I've already gone threw goljan a few times. QUOTE]

cool man, does it help--any good? Should I invest in trying to get one, and if so, how? I have a lot of lag time driving and this and that.

HiddenTruth said:
Long Dong said:
Yeah it's kaplan web prep. Some guy recorded all the lectures onto MP3 I'm listening to them now because I've already gone threw goljan a few times. QUOTE]

cool man, does it help--any good? Should I invest in trying to get one, and if so, how? I have a lot of lag time driving and this and that.

I think they are helpful not as good as goljan but still helpful. And yeah if you got alot time driving, working out, sitting on the dumper, then sure use them. I PMed you on who to contact for them.

my books
first aid (pure gold for micro and anatomy from my limited experience)

qbank (picky in some subjects but having detailed stats on your progress is fun. use only as study tool, not as evaluation tool)

high yield biochem - brief and to the point. a few unexplained parts but you can google those. use in combination with first aid.

high yield histology - time consuming but very good overview of the basics. i liked it but it's over 200 pages.

high yield anatomy - thought i could do it but made me way too miserable. i stuck with FA and qbank only.

high yield embryology - has some really good pictures, especially of congenital heart defects. wasn't nearly as miserable as i thought it would be. dudek was good at discarding a lot of the minutiae.

high yield immunology - good book and you can read it in half a day. supplement with first aid and you're set.

goljan review of pathology + audio - the audio is really good at explaining stuff. especially good were lectures in cardio and general inflammation. the pathology book is good too, but does not hit you with the quick facts like brs does - instead goes for a broader big picture approach.

brs pathology - used it during the school year but ditched it in favor of goljan's rapid review during boards studying.

brs physiology - good to master this book before actual boards studying. it's quite long and a good background in physiology is essential, in my opinion.

hy neuroanatomy - neuro is HY so worth the extra pages of reading. lots of very good brain images in the beginning. FA is good at covering a lot of the key points though.

high yield behavioral science - quick read, nicely written. not sure it adds too much over FA but it shouldn't take too long anyway. FA does a good job but these questions are easy freebies if you know it, so the extra pages are probably worth it.

hy cell and molecular - quick read, good for basics of DNA/RNA/protein etc. use with FA.

robbins review of pathology - used part of it earlier in the school year. very challenging questions. lymphoma and micro chapter are next to impossible. will go back to it if i have time later.

micro cards - used it because i bought it and couldn't sell it. has some stupid bugs in there that no one will probably test you on, but i guess it's better than nothing. i hate micro.

clinical micro made ridiculously simple - was skeptical about this book but it's really good. quick read even though quite lengthy. skip the parts about drugs - i think they're useless.

I just wanted to add one book I have been using solely for the excellent color diagrams: Nolte's Human Brain textbook. Try checking it out of your library if you don't want to buy it.

I am kind of a textbook person, but I annotate what I learn in the textbooks into FA. This helps solidify it.
Other books:
Big Robbins 7th ed (still using for class)
Robbins Review of Path 1st -> 2nd ed
BRS Physio 3rd ed
HY Molbio, Neuro
Microcards (used them during class)
Plan on buying HY Behavioral

Occasionally Lange/AccessMedicine or Harrisons online for reference
I love path and micro. hated anatomy but now I am starting to like it, especially embryo. I just took the NMBE basic shelf, 200 q, offered by our school.

I think the best way to study is to work hard at the end of year 2. That said, i used the following.

1. First AID. Use it all of second year, then you will know it and have a nice annotated review.

2. BRS path. Same as above.

3. Micro-rid simple

4. High yeild histo (covers more than histo)

5. Q-bank (do all the questions and read the explanations)

6. I also read a physio review book called Roadmap to physio... (I may have the name wrong)

I studied for 3 weeks about 4-5 hours a day (I took the weekends off). I did questions everyday except the first four days.

This worked for me (235). If you want a higer mark you may have to do more. Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
In regard to pharm - if supplementing FA, any thoughts on the following books or others not mentioned??

HY Pharm
Medical Pharm At a Glance
Pharm Recall
Lipincott's Pharm
BRS Pharm

Our Pharm blew (overall), so your thoughts on reveiw books would be huge.

Thanks.

My study materials for Step 1:

1. IPOD
2. Aiwa Headphones
3. Goljan's voice
4. IPOD battery recharger

My plan is to listen to Goljan 8 hours a day, 6 days a week (off on Sundays) for 2 months straight until June 10th. No need to crack open any book (gotta love that). Plus, I have plenty of time to relax in the evenings and my stress level is minimum.

p53 said:
My study materials for Step 1:

1. IPOD
2. Aiwa Headphones
3. Goljan's voice
4. IPOD battery recharger

My plan is to listen to Goljan 8 hours a day, 6 days a week (off on Sundays) for 2 months straight until June 10th. No need to crack open any book (gotta love that). Plus, I have plenty of time to relax in the evenings and my stress level is minimum.
Awesome. Keep us posted, OK? You're gonna ROCK that exam. :idea:

bigfrank said:
Awesome. Keep us posted, OK? You're gonna ROCK that exam. :idea:

Thanks BragFrank, I'll post my score, and exam experience in July. Just promise me you won't get jealous when I beat your score. :thumbup:

Dear p53,

PUT THOSE HEADPHONES BACK ON AND GET BACK TO GOLJAN!!!

:laugh:

bigfrank said:
Dear p53,

PUT THOSE HEADPHONES BACK ON AND GET BACK TO GOLJAN!!!

:laugh:

Thanks Frankie, now get back to PHOTOSHOP so you can finish up that 98 percentile JPEG on the Psychiatry Shelf exam. Here is the link to attach your fabricated score report so you can appease the nonbelievers.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=169387&page=4

Wait...

Is that your baby crying in the background. You are such a great daddy, Frankie! Who else would spend so much time on Step 1 threads (as a 3rd year!) rather than spend free time with his child. :thumbup:

Long Dong said:
HiddenTruth said:
I think they are helpful not as good as goljan but still helpful. And yeah if you got alot time driving, working out, sitting on the dumper, then sure use them. I PMed you on who to contact for them.

HELLO, I'M AN IMG AND I'M INTERESTED IN HAVING THE MP3 LECTURES. LET ME KNOW HOW TO GET THEM. :thumbup:
THX

Myself:

Blackwell Clinical Vignettes (all 7 books)
BRS Psych
BRS Embryo
BRS Path
BRS Physio
First Aid 2005
Clinical Micriobio red simple
Clinical Physio red simple
Step up
Goljan audio + notes

along with class notes

my real question is when is BigFrank going to write a book and sell it on SDN on how to do well on Step 1. he would make millions. ;)

I hate lippincott's pharm :p

Katzung/Trevor Pharm
-lengthy at first impression but actually quite manageable and GREAT TABLES/GRAPHS/SUMMARIES

I ditto what someone said about Levinson
-Micro/Immuno Review (Lange) V. GOOD esp. IMMUNO
Awesome CHARTS/GRAPHS/SUMMARIES

I use all the other usual books.

Wow, all this time on your hands, tsk tsk tsk.

Thank you for trolling around in the clinical rotations forum and keeping track of all my shelf exam percentiles for me. :laugh:

bigfrank said:
Wow, all this time on your hands, tsk tsk tsk.

Thank you for trolling around in the clinical rotations forum and keeping track of all my shelf exam percentiles for me. :laugh:

No problem, buddy. Liars tend to have a hard time keeping their story straight, so I thought I would help you out with what you posted in the past. :thumbup:

My preparation followed non-innovative path, and there is no point in describing it. I chose not to take any courses. Here are my books (I have a strong feeling that I skipped one). I don't think they were necessarily the best, but I was very satisfied with my choices. (Whenever I say Kaplan, it means Kaplan Lecture Notes 2003)

Pathology: BRS and Goljan RR. I also felt I needed to expand a little on several topics using Robbins (the big book), but generally these two review books were the most important sources. Goljan's RR was ultimately very useful (I actually felt like some questions were easier because of it), but far too scant as a primary source. I obviously used Webpath a lot, but in the end I didn't encouter any question that forced me to rely on a picture alone. I think Robbins Review (the MCQ book) helped me enormously in learning and "fixating" lots of concepts. I think it is a valuable study material, rather than a review / self-assessment one. The fact of the matter is that, in the end, I didn't feel totally prepared in pathology. I gave it A LOT of time, but I still think I should have spent even more.

Physiology - BRS Great book. I also used Kaplan, especially for Endocrine (simpler, more focused). I heard a lot of talk about pathophysiology. Frankly, these two resources prepared me for anything that might be called that way. I didn't use any specific book for that, but I never felt like I was indeed missing anything. Given that I am an IMG, and therefore a graduate, pathophysiology is far more... natural to me than pure physiology anyway...

High-Yield Embryology & HY Histology - in retrospect, I wish I had spent more time on these two books. My exam had very few embryo or histo per se, but I am quite sure these books might have equipped me a little better for... molecular biology / genetics questions.

Biochemistry Illustrated Review - although I used Kaplan as primary source for biochem, I must say that actually loved Champe's book. It's main importance was related to the visuals -- the superb pathway representations helped me grasp the subject matter better. The text is far too detailed and has loads of useless info. In fact, my test had so little "classic" biochem, that I almost regret having spent so much time with it. Genetics covered by this book, and by Kaplan Biochem, is not exactly what I came across in my exam. High-Yield Biochemistry seemed almost useless to me. It could be great for people that have a stronger ability to memorize stuff, but, unfortunately, I have to understand a little before being able to learn... (in CBSSA, though, I had a great performace, like it mattered!...)

HY Behavioral Science & HY Psychiatry - great for most part, but almost zero when it comes to patient-doctor relationship and ethics. I felt totally unequipped for the behavioral questions in the actual exam. No clue as to what I should have used instead...

High-Yield Biostatistics - wonderful learning experience, perfect explanations. However, I only needed very basic concepts in the actual exam... like four pages of this book were enough in my case. Obviously, other people may have more difficult questions on this one, so...

Microbiology & Immunology - Examination & Board Review (Levinson) and Review of Microbiology and Immunology (Yotis). I used Levinson almost exclusively. I don't know exactly why, but I felt like covering micro in great depth. Micro questions seemed patheticaly easy, but I don't know if they were indeed so. One exception: the very first question in the test was impossible. I looked and found nothing at all regarding the concepts in that question in either of these two books. The MCQs in this were very helpful, also.

Katzung's and Trevor's Pharmacology (the review one) - I only used this one and I am quite satisfied with the process. No pharma question got me by surprise in the actual exam (but they were so few!). The tables, and the "Key Drugs" section at the end were pure gold to me.

HY Molecular Biology - I read it five times.. it's tiny and very schematic. Some concepts I seen on the exam were not in this book either. Albert's maybe?.. :D (Where are they going with this, what's the point?! What the... whatever! Who am I to judge that anyway?!)

HY Gross Anatomy - flipped throught it. Nothing relevant to say.

Neuroanatomy - I tried to go with Lange Clnical Neuroanatomy, but gave up quickly. I also tried the HY, but I couldn't "get along" with that book. I used only Kaplan for neuroanatomy, and also Netter as visual aid. I think Kaplan had all I needed, and I have all the blame for any mistakes I may have made in this subject. I also used some obscure radiology book with lots of CT and MRI images. Nothing new to say.

First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 - I frankly disliked the book and for good reason too. Again, maybe if I was more able to memorize pre-digested data... Right after the test, I flipped through it trying to find the stuff in my questions, and I dare say that... no... it didn't even have half of what I needed, really. Excellent as a roadmap, maybe, but I wouldn't rely on it too much for more complex and uncommon issues that apparently are tested. Funny mnemonics though...

Regarding questions, I used pretty much the same sources that have been mentioned aroud here again and again, and since I "strategized" based on advice already posted here... why bother repeating?

Sorry for the long post.

This is one of my all-time favorite posts. It took me forever to find this!

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by HMS '05.

I took Step I last June and did pretty well (265+ / 99). I didn't crack a single book until around March, and then I started studying sporadically, probably around 2-4 hours a day while I tried balancing classes with ongoing lab work and a week-long trip to Europe to help present at a conference. As soon as school ended, I kicked it into high gear and probably studied 12-16 hours a day for about 3 weeks. The key for me was to save almost all of my practice questions until this final 3 week period, during which I did all of Q-Bank (2000 questions), all of WebPath (1000+ questions) and all of the free released USMLE items (which I found to be the most representative of the actual exam, albeit slightly easier). Here is some general study tips for the Step I exam that I prepared for a panel we gave for the second year class (book recommendations are at the end):

When to take it:
1) Be sure not to schedule the exam for late June, as you really need at least a week or two (at least!) to decompress after the Boards before starting rotations. Taking the exam in May could be too early, as it allows little dedicated study time after school ends. Scheduling the exam for early to mid-June is ideal.
2) You can always change your test to a later date, if you are truly desperate. Don?t worry about running out of study time.

Where to take it:
1) Consider taking the exam at home rather than in the city of your med school. You can study in a supportive atmosphere (and enjoy decent food!), while also escaping the inevitable tension that envelops the med school area as the Boards approach. However, if you are someone who is easily distracted at home, or if you don?t have a good Internet connection at home (for the Kaplan Q-Bank questions), then this may not be a wise option for you.
2) Be sure to register for the USMLE early so that you get the location you want! Also, be sure to visit the site a couple of days before the exam so that you know the area well and there are no surprises.

When to start studying:
1) DON?T start studying too early! Starting around March is perfect.
2) There are some things you can do right now, though, that will aid you in studying down the road. The organ-system pathology you learn this year lies at the heart of the USMLE Step I, so while you are learning the material for the first time, you can read some of the appropriate sections in the review books you will use later on, which should help you remember it better. As I was learning each block of pathophysiology in class, I read the corresponding sections in BRS Pathology and BRS Physiology, and I answered the appropriate questions in the Robbins? Pathology question book.
3) Remember, all of the material this year will return on the Boards and throughout your 3rd year clerkships, so be sure to learn it well the first time, not just well enough to pass the block exams!

General Studying Strategies:
1) The one aspect of studying that I think is crucial for everyone is to develop a REGIMENTED schedule! Set concrete goals for yourself with a definite schedule, and then meet them. For example, I allotted 3 days to review BRS pathology, 2 days to review BRS physiology, a week to review First-Aid, etc. I also chose to save all the Q-Bank questions to do at once soon before the exam rather than spread out over months, so I made a goal of completing 300 Q-Bank questions a day for a week.
2) When making your study schedule, be sure to give yourself at least 1 ? 2 weeks of ?safety-cushion? time at the very end, as you will invariably run over your schedule at some point.
3) Consider having a ?master source? where you transcribe all of your study notes. For example, many people my year annotated any new facts that they learned in their First-Aid books, so that near the end of their studying, they only had to consult this one source.
4) Do not use too many review questions too early. The practice questions are most useful after you have already studied some, so don?t feel as if you must start practice questions before the last month of your studying. The one exception, I would say, is for the Robbins Pathology questions, which are especially helpful if you start them now during your classes.
5) Finally, a word about study groups. If you are someone who benefits from study groups, then definitely consider joining one, but DO NOT use study groups as a time to learn or review material. There is simply too much material to learn unless you spend 8+ hours a day with your study group. Study groups are best used to discuss questions that you encountered that you don?t understand the answers to.

What to Study: The following are resources that I used, with an asterix to indicate the relative value
****First-Aid for the USMLE Step I: This book is simply exceptional! Although its format is off-putting to some, it is an amazing compilation of info you need to know, and you should really strive to memorize almost the whole book. Its Anatomy, Pharmacology and Behavioral Sciences sections are especially useful, encompassing almost all of what you need to know of these subjects (especially for Pharm).
****BRS Pathology: Another heaven-sent tool for med students. An imposing book, but again try to memorize all of it, as almost all will be fair game on the USMLE. Best to use early during the year.
****BRS Physiology: A terrific synopsis of all the physiology you need?a big topic on the USMLE.
***Kaplan Q-Bank: A great practice tool, as it uses the real USMLE computer-interface. Wait until they offer the group discount before buying it. Make sure you do every question (2000+), and read all the answers (even for the questions you got right!). I personally like doing the questions in large batches towards the end of studying, rather than spreading them out over several months (you forget too much that way). Also, it is very important that you have a pen and paper with you always when you are answering these questions?write down every fact that you didn?t know (even if you think you will learn it later on). I have close to 20 pages of legal paper inscribed with facts from Q-bank, and this is what I studied the night before the USMLE. Don?t panic?the Q-Bank questions are usually much harder than the real exam, and the real exam isn?t quite as fact-specific as the Q-Bank questions.
***Released USMLE items: These can be downloaded at (http://www.usmle.org/step1/default.htm). Even though only ~250 items are released, these were probably the questions most representative of what I had on the actual test day. Yes, these questions are a bit easier than the real thing, but not by much.
***Robbin?s Pathological Basis of Disease- Self-Assessment and Review: This book is a great deal, especially if you can buy it off of a 3rd or 4th year. The questions and especially explanations are fantastic (the questions are much more difficult than the actual exam, though, so don?t panic). This resource is especially valuable to use starting in your actual second year classes.
***WebPath questions: a free set of over a thousand questions, often with path pictures. Found at (http://medlib.med.utah.edu/WebPath/EXAM/EXAMIDX.html). These questions go quickly, and they are very similar to USMLE questions. Again, write down any facts that you didn?t know that you encounter in these questions.
***High-Yield Microbiology: This book was fantastic! A really great synopsis of micro, covering all you need.
***High-Yield Neuroanatomy: Even though only a few questions on the exam will concern neuroanatomy or neuroscience, spending a day or two with this book is a worthwhile investment. Be sure to learn about the different types of headaches?I had about 5 questions on this subject on my actual exam!
***BRS or High-Yield Behavioral Sciences: Truthfully, I didn?t use either of these (I had the Kaplan Behavioral Sciences notes from my job), but these are great resources for a field that is often overlooked, but comprises a surprising proportion of questions on the USMLE. About 10% of the exam is Behavioral Sciences!
***Micro Cards or Pharm Cards: I didn?t use these, but people who had them seemed to like them. They seemed to spend a bit too much time on these subjects, though?neither of these subjects is covered as much as Path or Physiology.
**Lippincott?s Illustrated Biochemistry: One of the first books I read when I started studying was to quickly review all of this book. It is easy to bog down in this book, though. Biochemistry isn?t a huge topic on the Boards, so the Biochem reviewed in First-Aid is in many cases enough. Be sure to know all the diseases that occur when various lipid products accumulate (Hurler?s, Hunter?s, Tay-Sachs, etc.).
**High-Yield Anatomy: Useful if you have the time, but anatomy questions make up a small portion of the exam (be sure you know the innervation of the hand, though!). Perhaps a better resource would be to just read the Blue boxes throughout Big Moore Clinical Anatomy.
**Step-Up for the USMLE I: This is an organ-system based book, and if you learn better that way, you may like this format more than First-Aid. I found, though, that this book didn?t quite have the same depth of coverage as First-Aid.
*High-Yield Embryology: Devote at most a day to this topic, as it is barely covered on the exam.
*Pathophysiology for the Boards & Wards: A good book, but covers a lot of clinical information that won?t be tested on the Boards.

Reactions: 1 user
Here is the one by last year's MVP, BigFrank.
Now back to my study cubicle in the library. :sleep:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by bigfrank
Hi, I took the real Step I today and have some news to report. This is my breakdown and seems pretty fair in hindsight:

Basically, my exam was very fair and consisted of the following (roughly):
- 10 Gross Anatomy -- with pictures for the most part
- 8+ Neuroanatomy -- know the brainstem lesions (Wallenberg's esp.)
- 8+ Embryology -- trust me, you'd want these questions. Know the differences among deformation/malformation/syndrome/sequence, though.
- 2-3 Histology -- easy
- 5-10 Biochemistry (i.e., Metabolism, Vitamins, etc.) -- it seems to me that these questions are being replaced largely by the Molecular Biology/Genetics questions...
- 20-25 Molecular Biology/Genetics -- some were impossible (Hox genes, etc.) but most were doable if you understood basic genetics and some molecular bio. One block had about 12 of these questions and was obviously brutal.
- 80+ Pathology -- few were as straight-forward as I'd hoped, but they were doable in the end. Most were MUCH LONGER than QBank so be sure to allow plenty of time to read and re-read these.
- 60+ Physiology/Pathophysiology -- I had what seemed like dozens of questions relating to, "if there is ____ disorder, then what are the levels of PTH, PTH-RP, Ca++, Alk. Phos., etc.? Many had 10-12+ options.
- 50 Pharmacology -- all were doable except for a few off-the-wall questions. Tons of Pharmacokinetics but with few calculations (graphs mostly)
- 40+ Behavioral Sciences -- at least 1/4 were of the [ridiculously-hard] patient response questions. In my opinion, the hardest part of the exam. Other topics (psychology, psychiatry, defense mechanisms, biostatistics) were essentially copied from First Aid.
- 20-25 Bacteriology/Virology -- mostly very straight-forward; no questions on worms/fungi/parasites/protozoa
- 20 Immunology -- including basic immunology, inflammation, chemical mediators, etc. Reading the first couple of chapters of BRS Path and *memorizing* them is very high yield.

Take home messages:
-- ***** BUY AND *KNOW* HIGH YIELD MOLECULAR & CELLULAR BIOLOGY---THIS IS AN IMMUTABLE FACT AT THIS POINT FOR ALL TEST-TAKERS. Medical Schools will eventually "catch on" that this point weighs extremely heavy on virtually all exams nowadays, but we have to wing it ourselves.
-- ***** KNOW FIRST AID VERY, VERY WELL; IT'S STILL THE BEST OVERALL SOURCE OUT THERE. IF YOU HAVE THIS BOOK MEMORIZED, ANSWERS WILL SEEM TO "JUMP OUT" AT YOU.
-- DON'T STUDY ANATOMY TOO HARD -- THEY'LL TRIP YOU UP REGARDLESS (AND IT'S LOW-YIELD)
-- DON'T LIVE AND DIE BY Q-BANK; IT'S GOOD BUT NOT GREAT
-- APPLETON & LANGE'S QUESTION BOOK IS PROBABLY JUST AS HIGH YIELD IN THE END.
-- ROBBINS PATHOLOGY QUESTIONS BOOK IS GOOD AND HIGH-YIELD
-- DON'T KNOW "BUZZWORDS;" THEY ARE RARELY TESTED ANYMORE
-- TAKE A BREAK BETWEEN EVERY BLOCK EVEN IF YOU DON'T FEEL LIKE YOU NEED TO (YOU WILL BY QUESTION #25 ON THE NEXT BLOCK ANYWAYS)
-- A STEADY DOSE OF CAFFEINE IS ALWAYS A GOOD THING

So much of the exam is stuff that you just can't study for. And I believe the exam is written that way. To basically have the majority of the exam be the application of basic science principles. When you're in the 'hot seat,' you'll be just fine though.

About me, I took QBank and got an 80% first time through (no repeats). I went through it entirely again and got my average up to 90%. I got a 700 and 710 on the 2 x $45 NBME 200-q practice exams and a projected 255 on the Comprehensive Basic Sciences 200-q test offered by the NBME that our school paid for. I got a 81% on the Kaplan full-length test. I don't know if these exams/tests are good predictors or not but I hope they are. Who knows? In any case, starting early is (in my opinion) the best way to prepare for this "fly by the seat of your pants" exam.

Glad you guys found my old posts. I'm not terribly astute at navigating this forum yet, so thank you. I re-read it and everything I said still stands in my opinion.

I think in terms of my exam, my test was fairly run-of-the-mill. Most people taking the exam will have a similar question breakdown, I feel. I think some people have hard more difficult exams, while other people (Jalby, you lucky knucklehead) claim to have had easier ones (path-weighted). But of course, people's perceptions are very subjective. What I feel may be straight Path, you might feel is Molecular, and vice-versa.

In terms of when did I start studying, I pretty much studied First Aid here and there during the first year. During my first year courses, I went through BRS Physiology, Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple, and HY Neuroanatomy specifically and tried to master other respective topics in First Aid. For example, if we were doing Biochemistry, I would annotate and attempt to truly understand the FA Biochem section. I am a PBL student, so I attempted to master relevent drugs in FA as well throughout the first year.

Over the summer between the 1st/2nd year, I did nothing. Hung out with the wife and kid. I am not a non-traditional student (just turned 24 a few months ago), in case you were wondering.

During the second year, STARTING around November/December, I tried to do 200 QBank +/- 150 IV QBank questions a month, mastered BRS Path as we covered the topics, and picked books at random to review (like HY BS, HY Micro, HY Anatomy). I also did relevant chapters during the entire second year in the Robbins Question Book as we went through, and I highly recommend this approach. I also randomly went through and studied FA as much as I could. People knew me by virtually always having either FA or BRS Path in my hands for much of the early part of the 2nd year.

During the last 3 months, which corresponded from around early March - late May, I (in addition to having 10 weeks of class) finished QBank/IV QBank, finished QBook, finished A&L Question Book, went through BRS Path a few more times, went through many other HY books once more, took many WebPath questions, took the NBME online exams, and went through FA a few more times. During the last 2 weeks, I went through QBank once more to get my average up to 90%. The day before I went back over BRS Path (briefly) and FA Pharmacology again.

Hopefully, this will give all that have asked a reasonably good review of my review!

Best,

Here you go:

Goljan review book: the one that come with the lecture notes, and all of his HY notes

HY CMB
HY Neuro
BRS Physiology
Kaplan lecture notes for Pharm and Biochem, along with the corresponding webprep lectures

Pathophysiology for the B&W: used it during the year and loved it
HY Behavioral
Clinical Micro Ridiculously Simple
FA FA FA FA FA FA FA

Hey guys, Can anybody comment on how the Kaplan Lecture Notes (subject books) would stack up against the previously mentioned heavy hitters (BRS Path, BRS Physio, Ridiculously Simple Micro, Hi Yields....)?

Planning on taking Step 1 in Sept/October and just want to have a rough idea what you guys think.

Thanks

Long Dong said:
HiddenTruth said:

could you tell me where to get those mp3's? thanks!

MD999:

I took Step 1 today. I did my own comparison of the books you mentioned and I felt this way:

Most preferred > moderately > not quite
Anatomy: Kaplan > FA > BRS
Physio: Kaplan + BRS > FA
(BRS seems to cover a little bit more stuff, but Kaplan explains the concept better)
Pathology: Goljan > FA > Kaplan (you can throw this on in your toilet)
Behavioral Sci: FA + Kaplan statistics section > whatever
Pharm: I used both Kaplan + FA + Pharm for Boards and Wards *(lightly, used the Qs at the end and as a reference). I do not like Kaplan pharm but it is still better than FA. There is no time for me to read Lippin so I think if I did it again probably would just read Kaplan to understand and use FA to memorize. Do Qbank.)
Biochem: Kaplan :thumbup: > FA > BRS
Neuroanatomy: HY for the pics. Kaplan Anatomy book has a very good neuro section at the end.
Micro: Kaplan WEBPREP > FA > Kaplan book
(Kaplan is too dry and too much detail. But if you have the Kap set, photocopy the several pages of charts, they are very very good, esp when use with FA. I didn't mention MRidisimple is because I didn't use it. I would use MRS if I were to start over again. I got a chance to listen to the WEbprep micro audio and got hooked so I use the Kaplan book, which turned out to be pretty bad......except its fungi section and the charts, etc. I would use MRS to understand and study from FA if I had to start over again)

All in all, I think you have to get a feel of the book by trying to study a chapter or two from it. (I know, there is no time....!)

That's it, hope that helps.

Thanks for that post! You touched on exactly what I was asking!
One more question: When you mention Goljan are you referring to the Rapid Review or his "notes"? Also, any thoughts of how much BRS Path was helpful for the Path portion and also Pathophysiology for the Boards and Wards was for your Step 1?

MD999 said:
Thanks for that post! You touched on exactly what I was asking!
One more question: When you mention Goljan are you referring to the Rapid Review or his "notes"? Also, any thoughts of how much BRS Path was helpful for the Path portion and also Pathophysiology for the Boards and Wards was for your Step 1?

Hi!

I am referring to both actually. I started out listening to Goljan's audio and felt that he is really good, then I print out all his notes which are in pdf format (since it was scanned, the quality is not that great). There are a lot of details in his notes and I don't think I would understand it if I had not listened to his audio prior. I finished his notes but since his notes are so thick I don't think I can go through them again, therefore I bought his book which also comes with a question CD. I read 3/4 of the book and ran out of time because I still have to finish other subjects and go on to FA and to do Qs. I used Boards and Wards during the time I was doing Qbank practice questions and when I was studying from FA. It is really board relevant and has a good index. The Goljan notes has a lot of detail. Everytime I go back, I seem to read something different and something more. The Goljan book is too simple, at least compare to the notes....since everything in the book are in the notes. The Board and Wards is really board relevant. However, after my "step-1 experience", I think that Goljan audio and notes are more important than BRS because he teaches you to think clinically. I used BRS during my school year and didn't go back during board studying period. I think that Goljan's stuff is "higher level", it prepares you to answer 2 steps or application questions more so than BRS. To me, Board and Wards is also more relevant than BRS. If I didn't have time, I would use Goljan audio + Boards and Wards and skip his notes/book. The questions I have on Step 1 were very pathophys, so BRS won't help me too much. Say, they will tell you a patient comes in with swelling legs and a bunch of lab values, then you have to evaluate whether his PTH, ACTH, thyroid, Ca, Na, etc. etc. is increased, decreased, or no changed.....So I think it is BRS physio + Goljan stuff prepared me for the Patho part of board most. But you see, nearly 90% of my classmates use BRS. Maybe I should too.....just like I used FA because everyone does and I want to be on the same playing field with others (FA does have some really good stuff).... ;)

Hey all. First, thought I'd mention that I found a legit seller on ebay with some nice deals on step 1 materials... [email protected].

Second question... What exactly is the Goljan audio course you guys are talking about. I have the Goljan Path audio tapes plus rapid review (although, I haven't looked at these to see if there is an audio lecture with them). Is the audio course you guys are listening to one of these? Or is it something separate/more?

Thanks.

Hey guys, Can anybody comment on how the Kaplan Lecture Notes (subject books) would stack up against the previously mentioned heavy hitters (BRS Path, BRS Physio, Ridiculously Simple Micro, Hi Yields....)?

MD999:
I am coming across the same issue as I begin my studying. Right now I'm working on Immuno/Micro. For Immuno, "High Yield Immunology" is awesome. Forget Kaplan for sure. For Micro, I will probably stick with "Ridiculously Simple," but the verdict is still out on that. Good luck:)

USMLE STEP 1 DVD's 2004VIDEO LECTURES .

8 DVD'S CONTAINING THE FOLLOWING: USMLE STEP 1 DVD VIDEO LECTURES.

USMLE Step 1 Video Lecture DVD Set

Full 200 hour course including all subjects:

1. Gross Anatomy and Embryology

2. Histology

3. Neuroscience

4. Biochemistry - nucleic acid structure and organization, DNA replication and repair, transcription and RNA processing, genetic code mutations and translation, genetic regulation, recombinant DNA, genetic testing, amino acids/proteins/enzymes, hormones, vitamins, energy metabolism/glycolysis, citric acid cycle and oxidative phosphorylation, glycogen and gluconeogenesis, HMP shunt, lipid synthesis and storage, lipid mobilization and catabolism, amino acid metabolism, purine and pyrimidine metabolism

5. Medical Genetics - single gene diseases, population genetics/cytogenetics, gene mapping/cloning, genetic diagnosis and gene therapy

6. Physiology - peripheral circulation, skeletal muscle, cardiac muscle, respiration, renal physiology, acid/base disturbances, endocrinology, GI physiology

7. Behavioral Science - epidemiology, statistics, social life, substance abuse, human sexuality, learning and behavior modification, defense mechanisms, psychological health and testing, human development, sleep and sleep disorders, physician/patient relationship, DSM IV criteria, organic disorders, psychopharmacology, ethical and legal issues

8. Microbiology - medically important bacteria, fungi, parasites, viruses, micorbial genetics and drug resistance, clinical infectious disease, comparative microbiology

9. Immunology - innate immunity, aquired immunity, Ig and T-cell receptors, antigens and immunogenes, MHC, lymphoid system, immune response, cell mediated immunity, humoral response, complement, hypersensitivity, immunodeficiency, autoimmunity, regulation and tolerance, trasplantation immunology, laboratory procedures

10. Pathology and Slides Review - cellular injury and adaptation, inflammation, wound healing and repair, circulatory pathology, genetic disorders, immunopathology, neoplasia, environmental and lifestyle risk factors, vascular, cardiac, respiratory, GI, liver, RBC and WBC pathology, female/male genital, breast, endocrine, bone/joint, skeletal muscle, PNS and CNS

11. Pharmacology - basic principles, signaling mechanisms, autonomic pharmacology, cardiovascular, renal, neurotransmitters, antimicrobials, NSAIDs and antiinflammatory drugs, anticoagulants, endocrine pharmacology, antineoplastics and immunopharmacology

for more information and the price contact me by this email:

[email protected]

Lubbocknight said:
USMLE STEP 1 DVD's 2004VIDEO LECTURES .

8 DVD'S CONTAINING THE FOLLOWING: USMLE STEP 1 DVD VIDEO LECTURES.

USMLE Step 1 Video Lecture DVD Set

Full 200 hour course including all subjects:

1. Gross Anatomy and Embryology

2. Histology

3. Neuroscience

4. Biochemistry - nucleic acid structure and organization, DNA replication and repair, transcription and RNA processing, genetic code mutations and translation, genetic regulation, recombinant DNA, genetic testing, amino acids/proteins/enzymes, hormones, vitamins, energy metabolism/glycolysis, citric acid cycle and oxidative phosphorylation, glycogen and gluconeogenesis, HMP shunt, lipid synthesis and storage, lipid mobilization and catabolism, amino acid metabolism, purine and pyrimidine metabolism

5. Medical Genetics - single gene diseases, population genetics/cytogenetics, gene mapping/cloning, genetic diagnosis and gene therapy

6. Physiology - peripheral circulation, skeletal muscle, cardiac muscle, respiration, renal physiology, acid/base disturbances, endocrinology, GI physiology

7. Behavioral Science - epidemiology, statistics, social life, substance abuse, human sexuality, learning and behavior modification, defense mechanisms, psychological health and testing, human development, sleep and sleep disorders, physician/patient relationship, DSM IV criteria, organic disorders, psychopharmacology, ethical and legal issues

8. Microbiology - medically important bacteria, fungi, parasites, viruses, micorbial genetics and drug resistance, clinical infectious disease, comparative microbiology

9. Immunology - innate immunity, aquired immunity, Ig and T-cell receptors, antigens and immunogenes, MHC, lymphoid system, immune response, cell mediated immunity, humoral response, complement, hypersensitivity, immunodeficiency, autoimmunity, regulation and tolerance, trasplantation immunology, laboratory procedures

10. Pathology and Slides Review - cellular injury and adaptation, inflammation, wound healing and repair, circulatory pathology, genetic disorders, immunopathology, neoplasia, environmental and lifestyle risk factors, vascular, cardiac, respiratory, GI, liver, RBC and WBC pathology, female/male genital, breast, endocrine, bone/joint, skeletal muscle, PNS and CNS

11. Pharmacology - basic principles, signaling mechanisms, autonomic pharmacology, cardiovascular, renal, neurotransmitters, antimicrobials, NSAIDs and antiinflammatory drugs, anticoagulants, endocrine pharmacology, antineoplastics and immunopharmacology

for more information and the price contact me by this email:

[email protected]

Lubbocknight, I emailed that address but hadn't heard anything back. If you are still selling, PM me.
Thanks

trikatrix said:
I got the BRS cell bio/histology outline format book. does that cover all the histo i will need to know??

That, and more. There is not much straight up histo on the exam. I particularly liked high yield histo, because it taught histo more like it will be on the exam, like histopathology, etc. Plain straight up histo is not high yield. I have the old BRS histo, and it looks like straight histo so I never used it. My advice would be to check out HY. Just my $0.02

Long Dong said:
Okay here is mine. Keep in mind I'm a *******, who forgets where I park my car twice a day, once in the morning, and again after school. I'm always walking around the parking lot trying to remember where I parked my car and what level. So I need massive amounts of repetition and questions to retain anything. Also that I've read all these books once already while following along these subjects in class. So hopefully when I get out of school these books won't be to hard to review.

1. Anatomy-HY anat, HY neuro, HY embryo, HY histo
2. Behavioral Sci-HY Beh Sci
3. Bio chem-HY bio chem, HY molecular bio
4. Micro/Immuno-Micro made ridiculously simple, Medical micro & immuno exam and board review by levinson and Jawetz (just the immuno section)
5. Path-Stars Pathology Review by goljan, robbins review of path done first time during christmas vacation (~70%) did it again 4 weeks b4 exam, goljan audio (listen to while working out, gone threw them 5 times from Aug-Dec of 2nd year).
6. Pharm-Kaplan lecture notes
7. Physio-BRS
8. Question books- Kaplan Q book, Appleton & Lange question book, did subjects will following along with class.
9. Comprehensive sources-Web prep listen to while working out (tryin to learn via osmosis) started in Jan almost finished second time threw except for path and micro. FA 2005 started in Jan.

Things finished after last final exam.
-CBSE 88~245 (10 weeks b4 exam).
-BSS ~72%, started in jan doing 50 Qs/day/5 days a week (finished 9 weeks b4 exam).
-Qbank 78%, all random, all timed (finished 5 weeks b4 exam).
-Step 1 released items (41,43,44)=85% (4 weeks b4 exam).
-NMS 78% (3 weeks b4 exam).
-Kaplan full length simulated 77% (3 weeks b4 exam).
-Blueprints 85% (2 1/2 weeks b4 exam).
-Pretest vignettes 76% (2 1/2 weeks b4 exam).
-Rapid review usmle step 1 qbook 80% (2 weeks b4 exam).
-Blackwell free online exam 80% (2 weeks b4 exam).
-NBME form 1 670~252 (10 days b4 exam).
-NBME form 2 710~257 (5 days b4 D-day).

Okay to answer some questions about which question resources are better, if I had to rank which question sources in order of importance. It would be:

1. Robins review of path, idiopathic got me hooked on this one, after doing this twice all other path questions seem easy by comparsion.
2. Board Simulator Series a guy named Dr. Cuts (carribean grad who matched rads) told me about this. This series doesn't represent the current testing format but I've seem to learn the bread and butter from this comprehensive source. One poster once said it is like training with heavy weights, other questions after are just light reps. Requires some time to get threw them all. The body systems books are pretty good, lots of thinking and questions with arrows going up and down. The basic concepts and normal/abnormal books not as good, more like factoid memorization.
3. Qbook and Appleton & Lange (big frank and omarsaleh introduced me to this one) rank about the same good basics to practice after having reviewed the subject.
4. Qbank I didn't like it to much, I didn't think I learned to much from it except for how to pace myself under timed conditions, deal with doing random blocks and guessing when you get 5-10 question in a row that make you say WTF. But you just have to do it cause you're just afraid that you'll be missing out on what others have learned.
5. Pre test clinical vingettes for the usmle step 1, big frank recommended, good thinking questions.
6. Blueprints Q&A, Rapid Review for the usmle step 1, and Blackwells online exam are like icing on the cake, mostly vingettes. The only reason they rank so low is because I've already seen most of what they are testing from other sources, but are good if you don't have the time to get threw BSS.

The one I thought sucked a$$ was NMS alot of nit picky detail (eg SH2 second messenger after Tyrosine kinase, and TF2D binds tata box).

As for how did I have time to do all these question I learned from Big frank and idio that those guys started like nov and dec of second year. These guys are also top ranked in their class, so an average guy like me would have to put in at least as much effort to get any where near them. I couldn't get myself to start that early but I did start after partying my a$$ off on new years. BF went ocd with the FA on the toilet thing, Jalby read big robbins cover to cover, idio did ~11,000 questions. I liked idios idea and did questions. I would do them during my lunch, and by the time school got out I had finished robbins review, BSS, Kaplan Qbook and A&L. I also tend to get sleepy after staring at a reveiw book for more then 3 hours so I did questions for the rest of the day during the 8 weeks that I've been out of school studying for boards.

Hi Dong,
I was just wondering what you got on Step 1?

Long Dong said:
wow dude, congratulations!
I'm a second yr student, and i'm completely confused as to how to prepare. After reading your posting i realized that there's probably no way i can read as much as you have, but i was wondering if you ever used STEP-UP for the USMLE STEP 1...i'm using it right now, as i go through school...any input on this book??? thanks.

Again, nice job LongDong.

It is gratifying to again read through all of p53 arrogant and overtly narcissistic posts about how he's going to ROCK Step I.

But, when scores come out, he suddenly has such a different philosophy. :sleep:

BigFrank,

Don't you think it is time to retire from the Step1 thread, considering that you are now a 4th year.

Don't be that guy who, ten year's later, is still talking about his glory days as a high school quarterback.

I'm not saying don't drop in from time to time to offer advice, but this whole sophomoric thing that you, pox in a box, and p53 have going on is pretty dumb.

souljah1 said:
BigFrank,

Don't you think it is time to retire from the Step1 thread, considering that you are now a 4th year.

Don't be that guy who, ten year's later, is still talking about his glory days as a high school quarterback.

I'm not saying don't drop in from time to time to offer advice, but this whole sophomoric thing that you, pox in a box, and p53 have going on is pretty dumb.

He pulled an awesome Step 1 score. I think it's to our benefit that he sticks around here. Whatever beef he has with anybody its between them, but he did rock Step 1, so I think till his score gets beat, should stick around and offer advice to us on how to rock the exam.