EVMS or UPENN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bioteacher

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to 47 medical schools but only one interview, Albany and waitlisted. Anyone can beat that? I got into UPENN and EVMS post bac programs. I was actually surprised, seemed to easy after so much disappointment.

Anyone know someone who attended EVMS SMP? Sounds great but I really want only one year, no glide year. Do most graduates of the program take two?

The website stated a 75% matriculation rate but does that include osteopathic medical schools as well?

Do I take classes with the medical students?

Thanks for any information!

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on the postbac acceptances :)

If you're looking to avoid the glide year and want to get into a US med school ASAP, I think Rosalind Franklin's MS in Applied Physiology is the best choice.

You do take medical school courses at EVMS.

The gentleman on this thread seems to be knowledgeable about the EVMS program: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=127516

Someone mentioned to me that you can get a linkage of some sort through UPenn's Special Science program. You can skip the glide year and go right into UMDNJ-RWJ. I don't know the specifics...perhaps you need a certain MCAT, undergrad GPA, NJ residency...I'm honestly not sure. :oops: But it's definitely worth inquiring about if you're looking to avoid that glide year.

Phil Anthropist said:
Congrats on the postbac acceptances :)

If you're looking to avoid the glide year and want to get into a US med school ASAP, I think Rosalind Franklin's MS in Applied Physiology is the best choice.

You do take medical school courses at EVMS.

The gentleman on this thread seems to be knowledgeable about the EVMS program: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=127516

Someone mentioned to me that you can get a linkage of some sort through UPenn's Special Science program. You can skip the glide year and go right into UMDNJ-RWJ. I don't know the specifics...perhaps you need a certain MCAT, undergrad GPA, NJ residency...I'm honestly not sure. :oops: But it's definitely worth inquiring about if you're looking to avoid that glide year.

I talked to Dr. Meyer yesterday and off the top of his head, he said the matriculation rate of masters students into EVMS is somewhere around 85%. (don't forget how small the program is. about 20 students) Through my conversation with him and other current EVMS students' posts, it really sounds like if you stay on top of your stuff and do well in the program, they'll let you in.

The program encourages you to apply to as many places as possible, but in reality, the other med schools will probably judge you only by your current stats, because they won't see any of your graduate grades until you finish the program. As far as 2006 goes, only EVMS will give you special consideration because you're "in-house".

The "accelerated acceptance" into RWJ form UPenn is only determined after you've started the program. In other words, just because one gets accepted to UPenn's program doesn't guarantee admission to RWJ. They only pick a few from the program.

good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
calbear15 said:
The "accelerated acceptance" into RWJ form UPenn is only determined after you've started the program. In other words, just because one gets accepted to UPenn's program doesn't guarantee admission to RWJ. They only pick a few from the program.
Maybe you should have taken me up on that duel ;)

Glad to get that info--that clears things up. I was in contact with someone who did the UMDNJ program and his friend (with lower stats than he had) got the linkage. I think that sucks that you don't get to find out until after.

Phil Anthropist said:
Maybe you should have taken me up on that duel ;)

I would have...until I saw some of your old posts and that whole match list thing... I'm scared of you Phil. :eek:

You know all the obscure programs, like VCU, Creighton, Tulane Cell Mole, Northwestern Neurobio, Hopkins Masters, Columbia Nutri Sci... etc etc etc. Those were my secret weapons and you knew them all.

No dual.

Well both of you guys scare me..... :eek:

Some of the stuff you guys know about the SMP's are downright scary..

I've ben scouring the websites and calling for nigh unto 6 months and I still don't know half of this stuff...

Woulda never known about EVMS or UPENN without you guys Phil and Cal..

Much luv to ya' :love: